Pe@rson
Topic Author

Flybe To Look At Wideroe

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Intriguingly, flybe is to look at Wideroe, the turboprop-operating airline from Norway and which has many PSO routes, given SAS has said that it will divest the operator. This does not, of course, necessarily mean anything at all. Anyway, SAS anticipates $443m from selling Wideroe and various things related thereto. flybe said: "We are always looking for opportunities to expand in Scandinavia, the Nordics and the Baltics. We will now look at the opportunities that have opened up in Norway with Wideroe going up for sale".

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/1...rway-wideroe-idUKBRE8AD0CP20121114
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

PlymSpotter

RE: Flybe To Look At Wideroe

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 pm

That's a great one, nobody in their right mind is going to pour that much money into an acquisition by FlyBe. Look at the lengthy delay they had receiving the ERJ 175s because their preferred finance streams upped and ran when approached for similar sums.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ScottishDavie

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Pray to any deity in which you believe that this comes to nothing. The idea of WF's generally decent reliability and service standards being dragged down to BE's level is too awful to contemplate

SASDC8

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Considering that the Norwegian government has been very clear on that WF shall remain on Norwegian hands, I seriously doubt this will ever happen.
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

Humberside

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:30 pm

How could the Norweigan's stop Wideroes being sold to a non-Norweigan EEA bidder? Norway follows all EU takeover/ownerships policies doesn't it?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

bjorn14

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):
How could the Norweigan's stop Wideroes being sold to a non-Norweigan EEA bidder? Norway follows all EU takeover/ownerships policies doesn't it?

As the government is part owner of WF I believe it can legally block the sale. I've heard an employee ownership group has the inside track.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

LN-KGL

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm

The Norwegian authorities can't block a sale, but Flybe with their financial situation will not be able to bid for Widerøe.

Someone83

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Quoting SASDC8 (Reply 3):
Considering that the Norwegian government has been very clear on that WF shall remain on Norwegian hands, I seriously doubt this will ever happen

No they haven't, they said it should be sold to the highest bidder. Prefering it to be Norwegian is another thing

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):
How could the Norweigan's stop Wideroes being sold to a non-Norweigan EEA bidder?

They can't

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 5):
As the government is part owner of WF I believe it can legally block the sale.

It's the government forcing SAS to sell Widerøe....to the ones with the highest bid

Someone83

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 pm

According to Norwegian media, Per G Braathens, the owner of Braathens Aviation which own Malmø Aviation and Sverigeflyg, might be interested in buying Widerøe if th eprice is right

vectismanpaul

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Might be an idea to look at Gatwick-Manchester first!! I doubt if Flybe have resources or appetite for another acquisition at the moment. Personally I would prefer to see them concentrating on becoming more competitive and aggressive in their current markets, rather than all the retreating we are seeing at the moment.
V.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos