speedbird9
Topic Author

Lack Of Airport Capacity Costs UK £14bn

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 pm

A report commissioned by Heathrow Airport (Formerly BAA) says that the UK is losing £14bn in lost trade because of lack of extra capacity at LHR this is set to rise to £26bn.

Heathrow Airport said
"It said only one airport could operate as a hub in the UK and said the government could either do nothing and "let the UK fall behind competitors", add additional capacity at Heathrow, or close Heathrow and replace it with a new larger hub airport."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20331122

http://mediacentre.heathrowairport.c...ashx?MediaDetailsID=1105&SizeId=-1

I'm still reading the report but, what are you're thoughts?

ZKOJH

RE: Lack Of Airport Capacity Costs UK £14bn

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:53 pm

the number of 14 Billion doesn't seem to worry anyone at Westminster really! but it would be a nice way to get the country moving, nothing will happen till 2015, then if anything gets the green light they got to build it, so were talking 10 more years? whilst the likes of China are going to build over 50 airports in the next 5 years ! and a new Mega Airport in Beijing which will be ready by 2016, which means more flights to mainland Europe / CDG/AMS/FRA etc. Things in the UK just take long to get approved! and T5 showed that!!
Vietnam time..

traindoc

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:42 am

Add to that the outrageous departure fees/taxes! In January I am flying EBB-LHR-IAH and used upgrades for C class. Had to pay $100 tax in order to use the upgrade. Guess what? No more connecting thru Heathrow for me! They won't need the extra runway if they tax passengers away!

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:47 am

Quoting speedbird9 (Thread starter):
this is set to rise to £26bn.

I'm surprised the number isn't higher already. A tremendous amount of trade has already moved elsewhere.

Quoting traindoc (Reply 2):
They won't need the extra runway if they tax passengers away!

At some point the business moves on.

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 1):
whilst the likes of China are going to build over 50 airports in the next 5 years !

I prefer to note the 200 runways (over 15 years, IIRC) out of 400 new runways globally. Why won't Britain add their fair share? With the 787 and A350 entering the fleets soon in numbers, the European hubs in general will miss out on the new destinations.

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 1):
and a new Mega Airport in Beijing which will be ready by 2016, which means more flights to mainland Europe / CDG/AMS/FRA etc.

Some of those other airports will be slot restricted soon too (not when the new mega-airport opens, but well before it is constrained). I wonder why we're approaching a 'fortress Europe' situation where substantial regions will not have convenient connections to growing business (where the profit is).

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

RIXrat

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:12 am

I flew PHX-LHR-ARN last Christmas. Since the whole transfer took place in T5 I didn't have to pay that exorbitant departure tax. I believe the whole r/t cost me about $1,050.

factsonly

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:17 am

This is a brief article on UK leakage through Amsterdam Schiphol.

Of the 4.17 million KLM passengers between the UK and AMS, 2.4 Million connect to other destinations (57,2% transfer traffic). With the USA (10.1 per cent of total), Germany (5.1 per cent) and China (3.3 per cent) as the largest mnarkets. The ten largest individual destinations were New York, Lagos, Dubai, Beijing, Manila, Accra, Berlin, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Warsaw.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/36/...s-manston-to-extensive-uk-network/

mcr

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:34 am

Quoting RIXrat (Reply 4):
I flew PHX-LHR-ARN last Christmas. Since the whole transfer took place in T5 I didn't have to pay that exorbitant departure tax. I believe the whole r/t cost me about $1,050.

Are you sure it wasn't just bundled into the ticket price? I'm pretty sure departure tax applies to every departure, connecting or not.