SA7700
Topic Author

New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 3

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 am

This is a continuation thread of part 2 which can be found here: New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 2

Please feel free to continue your discussion in this thread.

Regards,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Birdwatching

RE: New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 3

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:33 am

The old threads became so long and chaotic. Could somebody give us a quick overview of what the current status on this subject is, instead of just continuing the discussion?

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

GIANCAVIA

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:51 am

Sure, Nothing has happened yet.

The777Man

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 am

I think AA should wait to rebrand to when they come out of bankruptcy. That would show that they are starting a new chapter in their history. Also with the possible/likely merger with USairways, why re-brand now when you may have to do something very soon any way ?

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

PDX88

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 3):
Also with the possible/likely merger with USairways, why re-brand now when you may have to do something very soon any way ?

Plan A is to emerge from bankruptcy independent, plan B is to merge with US Airways, not vice versa. Either way, if the slim chance (and growing slimmer every day) they did merge with US, they're going to need a new brand anyways. Like hell they keep the US livery and slap AA on the side.

sccutler

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 am

If there is a consolidation of AA and US/HP, it will amount to an acquisition, more than a merger, and AA will be the acquiring entity. The airline will be called, "American Airlines," and branded accordingly, with its headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas.

AA's emergence from bankruptcy is (within the constructs of the gavial movement of court proceedings) imminent. One anticipates the rebranding to occur at that point, or (perhaps) coincident with the rollout of AA's 787.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

scbriml

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 5):
If there is a consolidation of AA and US/HP, it will amount to an acquisition, more than a merger, and AA will be the acquiring entity. The airline will be called, "American Airlines," and branded accordingly, with its headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas.

Is this fact, or your opinion?

or (perhaps) coincident with the rollout of AA's 787

Do you mean 777?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

etops1

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:08 pm

AA will not be acquiring anything . US will be doing the Acquiring keeping the AA name and brand . Also the chances of a US/AA merger are not growing slimmer every day like someone else said . This merger is closer to reality than you think . And that my friend is no opinion . It's a fact !
Back to the color scheme . It should be introduced once the merger is announced . Plain and simple .

DocLightning

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 6):

It's his opinion, of course, but I agree with him that this is the most likely scenario.

Whether US or AA do the acquiring is ultimately unimportant. Back when HP acquired US, HP quickly grabbed US's name. Kept the "cactus" callsign, though.

However the merger works out, assuming it happens, the new carrier will be called "American Airlines." We can assume, given that AA has already started their rebranding process and obviously have a new brand image in mind, that any such merger would not result in an entirely new brand, but would adopt the new AA brand much as the DL/NW merger adopted DL's very recent new brand (at the time).

Of course it's possible that the new carrier will be called "America West Airlines" and return to the old HP 1980's colors (which would be pretty amusing to see on a 77W). There is an enormous list of possibilities, but the most likely scenario is outlined above.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Acey559

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 pm

I was checking in for my commute today and noticed that the kiosks have changed. The overall structure has remained mostly the same but the colors are different. I wonder if this is a sample of a wider rebranding for the future?

AAIL86

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:20 pm

AA's emergence from bankruptcy is (within the constructs of the gavial movement of court proceedings) imminent. One anticipates the rebranding to occur at that point, or (perhaps) coincident with the rollout of AA's 787.
Quoting etops1 (Reply 7):
Back to the color scheme . It should be introduced once the merger is announced . Plain and simple .

US Airways merger or not, US the acquiring carrier or not, the rebranding is going to happen with the rollout of this 77W in January. Either that or maybe AA will go the DL route of multiple - rebrandings  
Next

airliner371

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 4):
(and growing slimmer every day)

It really isn't growing slimmer, we have just been completely in the dark because of the non disclosure agreement.

ER757

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
would adopt the new AA brand much as the DL/NW merger adopted DL's very recent new brand (at the time).

Excellent comparison - I think you nailed it.

AA94

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):
The old threads became so long and chaotic. Could somebody give us a quick overview of what the current status on this subject is, instead of just continuing the discussion?

What we know:

1. There is an AA-registered 77W, AA's first, painted with a greyish color scheme and a white tail (sort of in the Qantas style) parked at PAE. It is presumed that these colors are not primers due to the outlining of the exit doors (done once all top coats of paint have been applied).

2. A new kiosk design has been rolling out across the system at AA. The new design, conceived by AA's tech contractor Blockdot (the designers of their iPhone app). The new kiosk has done away with the horrendous all-caps block lettering that appears on nearly all of their current branding. You can view the new kiosk flow at http://www.behance.net/gallery/Ameri...an-Airlines-Airport-Kiosk/5935297.

Aside from that, everything else is speculation.

Sort of both. While it's not a confirmed 100% fact, it's fairly accurate according to statements by both Tom Horton and Doug Parker. AA isn't going to simply be putting their name on US's airplanes, it will be a full and total rebranding for AA regardless of the merger with US.

With regards to the merger as a whole, I believe many members of the forum have been much too quick to speculate on the status of the US/AA merger. Regardless of anyone's personal politics regarding the merger, the fact is that a NDA being signed doesn't mean a merger. AA going to bankruptcy protection / restructuring doesn't mean a merger.
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

rwy04lga

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Quoting AA94 (Reply 13):
http://www.behance.net/gallery/American-Airlines-Airport-Kiosk/5935297.

Not working
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Polot

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 14):
Not working

He accidentally included the period in the url. Here is the correct link:
http://www.behance.net/gallery/American-Airlines-Airport-Kiosk/5935297

ldvaviation

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:50 pm

AA will not be acquiring anything . US will be doing the Acquiring keeping the AA name and brand .

When AA stakeholders would end up with 70%+ of the equity in the combined company, it is hardly an acquisition.

AA94

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:53 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 15):
He accidentally included the period in the url. Here is the correct link:
http://www.behance.net/gallery/American-Airlines-Airport-Kiosk/5935297

Whoops, my bad everyone.  

usafret

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 am

I noticed the self service kiosks last week, thought I was at another airline at first, even though I'm Ex Plat. I like change and anything to shake up AA is good, as long as they survive.

baldwin471

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:00 am

Quoting AA94 (Reply 17):

I think AA should wait to rebrand to when they come out of bankruptcy. That would show that they are starting a new chapter in their history. Also with the possible/likely merger with USairways, why re-brand now when you may have to do something very soon any way ?

The777Man

They should make a WP8 app with that design. Looks very Metro.

OB1504

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:45 am

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 9):
I was checking in for my commute today and noticed that the kiosks have changed. The overall structure has remained mostly the same but the colors are different. I wonder if this is a sample of a wider rebranding for the future?

The new self-service machine software went live last Monday. As an agent, I love the new look, and I'm hoping the rest of the brand follows this aesthetic pleasantness.

sccutler

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:19 am

Strictly opinion; my policy (it should be all of ours, I'd think) is to cite to reliable authority on any statement I make which is intended to be relied upon as fact, and to expect any statement I make which lacks such citation to be considered merely my opinion.

But, I believe time will prove-up the validity of my opinion. (grin)

AA will not be acquiring anything . US will be doing the Acquiring keeping the AA name and brand .

Common sense and math both argue against this result. But, you may be able to say, "See, I told you so!" one day. I mean, who'd have ever guessed that little Texas International Airlines would grow to be United?

Also the chances of a US/AA merger are not growing slimmer every day like someone else said . This merger is closer to reality than you think . And that my friend is no opinion . It's a fact !

Oh yeah!?! (chuckle)

I think it is a near certainty, as well, for reasons of common sense and competition.

But AA will do the acquiring!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

PHX787

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:26 am

Has the second one had any paint put on it yet?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

The777Man

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 am

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 4):
Plan A is to emerge from bankruptcy independent, plan B is to merge with US Airways, not vice versa. Either way, if the slim chance (and growing slimmer every day) they did merge with US, they're going to need a new brand anyways. Like hell they keep the US livery and slap AA on the side.

Regardless of merger or not, it makes more sense to re-brand AFTER emerging from bankruptcy for the reasons that I stated in my post.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 22):
Has the second one had any paint put on it yet?

Second one has rolled out with a metallic fuselage......

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

AA94

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 24):

It has, however, the engines are painted in that white / grey combo that we saw on the first 773.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/microvolt/8189367049/in/photostream/

scbriml

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Quoting AA94 (Reply 25):
It has, however, the engines are painted in that white / grey combo that we saw on the first 773.

The rudder is painted as per the first one as well.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

MD13

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm

The iphone app has also been updated and looks similar to the pictures of the self-service machines... No logos or branding in the app though...

jmw99ttu

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:15 pm

I just installed the iPad app update. It's completely different from the old version. It's much sleeker than the old version. Thankfully the sudoku game is still there.  

FL787

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:16 pm

If the app and kiosk are indicators, it definitely seems like the new brand will either have no red or very little of it. Guess they're letting DL have the red market lol.

OB1504

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 23):

That's because it hasn't been painted yet. What you are seeing is the primer.

Quoting jmw99ttu (Reply 27):
I just installed the iPad app update. It's completely different from the old version. It's much sleeker than the old version. Thankfully the sudoku game is still there.

The look of the new iPhone/iPad app matches the new SSM software. I think it's telling that the new app doesn't display any AA logos once it's open, as if the company is just waiting to insert the new logotype once the 77W is rolled out.

I don't think the red will be gone completely from the new color scheme (after all, an airline named "American" should have all three of the colors of the flag on its aircraft), but rather that it'll play a much more reduced role as an accent touch.

AAIL86

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Quoting MD13 (Reply 26):
The iphone app has also been updated and looks similar to the pictures of the self-service machines... No logos or branding in the app though...

Well the app does feature a new logo on the phone desktop ... a metallic blue field with either off-white or sliver AA + eagle.
(sorry, haven't found a picture of this logo online)... I wonder if this is the new logo or not?

[Edited 2012-11-19 14:39:54]
Next

antoniemey

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 23):
Regardless of merger or not, it makes more sense to re-brand AFTER emerging from bankruptcy for the reasons that I stated in my post.

Most of the rebranding will be afterwards... rolling out a new color scheme with a new fleet type gets them a jump on it, though. As you probably well know, rebranding something as large as a major airline takes years.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

AirAfreak

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):

I agree. When I saw Part 3, it made me realize this post should not say confirmed until something solid is shown for our viewing. This is becoming ridiculous, in my opinion.

Air Afreak
Do you lead an Intercontinental life?

baw716

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 pm

It's premature I believe to speculate on a "rebranding" of AA. In order to rebrand something, you really have to have a product to rebrand. AA is not there yet.

As for US/AA; the $64M question is does AA have enough critical mass to go toe to toe with Delta, who is getting stronger and is improving their product and a beefed up UA? Can they do it without US? I am asking the question because at the moment, I can't gather enough information to offer an intelligent, let alone educated opinion.

AA's product needs work desperately, at least domestically. They do not compare to the Delta product (I have flown both recently on similar length segments to Seattle and AA wasn't even close to Delta). Sorry AA guys, it's my opinion and I've got the background in this business to make an unbiased comparison (and also since I don't work for either company).

Branding is the least of their concerns.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

allegiantflyer

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 am

So AA has confirmed that they are getting a new livery? yes?no?

antoniemey

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:22 am

Quoting AirAfreak (Reply 32):
When I saw Part 3, it made me realize this post should not say confirmed until something solid is shown for our viewing.

Well, the design hasn't been confirmed, but it's been confirmed that one is coming...

Quoting allegiantflyer (Reply 34):
So AA has confirmed that they are getting a new livery? yes?no?

According to various sources a new brand (and livery to go with that) are coming. Including whoever controls AA's social media outlets.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

allegiantflyer

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:33 am

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 35):
According to various sources a new brand (and livery to go with that) are coming. Including whoever controls AA's social media outlets.

Is there a release date set??

JAAlbert

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:33 am

Quoting FL787 (Reply 28):
If the app and kiosk are indicators, it definitely seems like the new brand will either have no red or very little of it. Guess they're letting DL have the red market lol.

I see the kiosks as interim -- really there is no logo or any design. It's sorta like the Window's screen when you first boot up or something. Add my post to the speculation bin - but I think AA will not do away with its blue/white/red stripe altogether. It's too iconic, it'd be like tossing out the campell soup label. The stripe may not be featured on the aircraft cheatline, but I think it will be all over its branding.

FWAERJ

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 am

Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 19):
They should make a WP8 app with that design. Looks very Metro.

AA has a Windows Phone app, and has had one since shortly after Windows Phone 7 came out. IIRC, it currently has a bare-aluminum look a la AA's planes, but as AA changes to paint, the app will have to change as well.

Speaking of which, have AA's non-iPhone apps or AA's DealFinder desktop widget gone to the new look yet? I remember when AA did their last minor brand freshening a few years back that also resulted in the current AA.com, it took DealFinder a while to go to the updated brand. That said, DealFinder also underwent a complete technology conversion to Adobe AIR at the same time.

Quoting baw716 (Reply 33):
AA's product needs work desperately, at least domestically.

The new A and B aircraft on order, including the 738s and A319/321s arriving next year, will help dramatically with that. A lot of the reasons why AA has product issues is due to the older fleet, the MD-80s and 757s in particular.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

posti

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:48 am

Link to the iPhone app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/american-airlines/id382698565?mt=8

[Edited 2012-11-19 20:50:34]
LGW via RAC, LAF, & SEA

PHX787

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:19 am

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 37):

I see the kiosks as interim -- really there is no logo or any design. It's sorta like the Window's screen when you first boot up or something. Add my post to the speculation bin

This is my best guess too. It looks too empty for it to be a representative of a new livery....maybe a transition livery... it does look awfully similar to US's colors   

ZSOFN

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 40):
This is my best guess too. It looks too empty for it to be a representative of a new livery....maybe a transition livery... it does look awfully similar to US's colors

I'd be inclined to agree, although the whiter area below the tail is a big hint as to what's to come. I've had a go based on what we might see - the grey hints maybe at some softer colours and/or some silver, and the kiosk previews we've seen indicate they may drop the red as a primary accent colour:

[Edited 2012-11-20 11:59:26]

FWAERJ

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Looks like AA's Android app got the update as well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aa.android&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5hYS5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

Any word on the Windows Phone or BlackBerry apps? I did notice that there is a new icon for both the iOS and Android apps... basically the same ol' AA with the scissor eagle, but all-white on a dark blue background. Previously, it was a classic red and blue AA w/eagle logo on a light blue background. Makes me think that the classic logo will survive the rebranding, albeit in very slightly modified form.

PHX787

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Quoting ZSOFN (Reply 41):

That's a livery I can get behind  

runway23

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting ZSOFN (Reply 41):

I'd be inclined to agree, although the whiter area below the tail is a big hint as to what's to come. I've had a go based on what we might see - the grey hints maybe at some softer colours and/or some silver, and the kiosk previews we've seen indicate they may drop the red as a primary accent colour:

Nice, what about a billboard style name with just "American" rather than "American Airlines" ?

ZSOFN

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Quoting runway23 (Reply 44):
Nice, what about a billboard style name with just "American" rather than "American Airlines" ?

That could work nicely...

...I had assumed based on the kiosk branding that they were sticking primarily with the "Airlines" bit too but you never know!

817Dreamliiner

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Quoting ZSOFN (Reply 45):

Nice work! Not bad. Im really looking forward to see what they come up with.
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

aajfksjubklyn

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Best rendition I have seen, although I presume there will be red somewhere...

FWAERJ

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:50 pm

A bit of an update regarding the new look on AA's mobile apps:

I checked the Windows Phone Marketplace, and the AA app for Windows Phone still has the brushed metal look. (It hasn't been updated since July, which makes me think that a refresh is coming soon.) The AA app for Kindle Fire/Amazon Appstore and the AA Nook Color app have not been updated, either; oddly enough, both the Kindle Fire and Nook Color are Android-based.

It also looks like AA has quietly discontinued their BlackBerry app, which means that it's never getting the new look. With the rapidly declining usage of BlackBerry devices, I'm not surprised.

Grude1087

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 am

I would like to point out that the font in the title has changed, and now there is a space between "American" and "Airlines" in the last iPad update.

[Edited 2012-11-20 17:10:30]

Big version: Width: 380 Height: 343 File size: 25kb

[Edited 2012-11-20 17:13:26]