vectismanpaul
Topic Author

Replacement Airline For Gatwick-Manchester?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:24 pm

I am surprised that therr have not been any announcements yet regarding a replacement carrier for this route.
Anybody here have any information or reliable rumour?
V.

PlymSpotter

RE: Replacement Airline For Gatwick-Manchester?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Quoting vectismanpaul (Thread starter):
I am surprised that therr have not been any announcements yet regarding a replacement carrier for this route.

I'm not. If LGW-MAN is not viable with it's most established carrier offering connections then anyone else taking a shot on o/d traffic would be seriously up against it. There would be no point in FlyBe taking this up and offering connections through their hub in MAN, because the onward destinations are already served direct from LGW.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Pe@rson

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Quoting vectismanpaul (Thread starter):

I'm not: it'd be a pretty silly route to operate given today's environment and the modal substitution that exists.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 1):
LGW-MAN is not viable with it's most established carrier offering connections then anyone else taking a shot on o/d traffic would be seriously up against it. There would be no point in FlyBe taking this up and offering connections through their hub in MAN, because the onward destinations are already served direct from LGW.

Must agree. And there must certainly be far more promising markets for which the valuable slots could be used.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

vectismanpaul
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:15 pm

Not sure I entirely agree. Probably room for 3 flights a day with up to 120 seater aircaft. First 2 flights would probably carry O&D as well as those for BA or Virgin long haul. Evening mainly returning O&D. I have used BA services many times and flights tended to be busy. Obviously yield wasn't high enough for them maybe owing to their cost base but for others it may be ok along with codeshares with other airlines at Gatwick.
V.

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:32 pm

Quoting vectismanpaul (Reply 3):
First 2 flights would probably carry O&D as well as those for BA or Virgin long haul.

Who would buy a self made connection in LGW when direct or one stop tickets are readily available from MAN on a wide variety of airlines - more so actually than LGW, without incurring two lots of APD/taxes from the UK. The interlining option isn't free either and would raise prices further.

The MAN-LGW O/D market is pretty small, it couldn't support that frequency, and you will have a very hard job persuading any of the London market to fly from LGW when it takes a tad over two hours direct by train to Manchester.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

T8KE0FF

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:41 pm

I know it's very wishful thinking but I'd love to see Norwegian try and make LGW-MAN work when they open their base at Gatwick...
RJ85 E145 E195 A319 A320 A330 A340 A380 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 B787 DH4