musang
Topic Author

History Of Subang Airport, Kuala Lumpur?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:33 pm

I wonder if someone might be able to tell me what happened to the original Subang terminal, and point me to any information on the history of the building e.g. designer, how many gates, how many parking stands, late '70s extensions, demolition etc.

I remember it from the late '70s, an imposing grey concrete structure, built with a series of graceful arches. A covered but open-air pier extended into the apron to reduce the amount of walking uncovered, and there were no airbridges at that time of course.

Looking at google earth, I cannot make out any trace of the building, which I think was near the south east end of the runway.

Many thanks - terimah kaseh - musang.

EK413

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting musang (Thread starter):
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&highlight=subang+airport+malaysia

I hope the link I've provided answers your questions...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

infinit

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:38 am

Note that it is still operational. Firefly, a domestic Malayan (Malaysia+Singapore) airline in the MAS group still flies Subang-Singapore daily: http://www.fireflyz.com.my/

musang
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:31 am

Thanks EK413. It did, and there were even a couple of nostalgic photos. I'm sure that if in the UK, the original structure would be "listed", i.e. protected against demolition or even significant modification. It was revolutionary for its day.

One of the early '60s concrete hangars at Heathrow, one of a complex of four, is listed. The other three, although still there, are concealed by extensions and modifications, but one still stands in its original form.

Anyone point me to any images of Subang terminal One in its original form?

Many thanks - musang

musang
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:47 am

Off (my original) topic but since I mentioned it in connection, here's the Heathrow hangar.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Midnightair

A similar one is behind it, back to back, and there's one to the right, now concealed under the tan coloured structure. Due to the height, these hangars are not much use for today's aircraft, and I believe this one's used for storage/workshops. The three others are built out, so forward fuselages can fit under the original concrete arch while the rest of the aircraft is enclosed by the extension.

Regards - musang

articulatexpat

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:20 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 1):
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&highlight=subang+airport+malaysia

I hope the link I've provided answers your questions...

EK413

Thanks for that link. I'm glad to see that the airport has been renovated. I flew from there to Langkawi on Air Asia years ago, in its earliest days (I think it was a charter flight, even), and the place was a run-down dump. Any idea how long ago it was spruced up?

TreeHillRavens

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:00 am

Quoting musang (Thread starter):

Many thanks - terimah kaseh - musang.

The correct spelling is terima kasih  
Quoting musang (Reply 3):

Thanks EK413. It did, and there were even a couple of nostalgic photos. I'm sure that if in the UK, the original structure would be "listed", i.e. protected against demolition or even significant modification. It was revolutionary for its day.

Unfortunately even Subang Terminal 1 was demolished years ago.

Quoting musang (Reply 3):

Anyone point me to any images of Subang terminal One in its original form?

Post #20 in the skyscrapercity thread.

Quoting articulatexpat (Reply 5):

Thanks for that link. I'm glad to see that the airport has been renovated. I flew from there to Langkawi on Air Asia years ago, in its earliest days (I think it was a charter flight, even), and the place was a run-down dump. Any idea how long ago it was spruced up?

Air Asia used to fly out from Subang Terminal 3 before it shifted to Sepang. The renovation at Subang Terminal 3 was completed about 2 years ago.

[Edited 2012-11-21 22:00:49]