Gonzalo
Topic Author

Passenger Stung By Scorpion On IB Flight

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Sorry, link in Spanish only.

A female passenger on board flight IB 6316, an A340 doing the the flight from San José ( Costa Rica ) to Madrid, was stung by a scorpion during the flight. The aircraft was sealed upon arrival and disinfected. The passenger was fine after the medical attention provided in a Hospital of Madrid... but this will be probably the most painful and unpleasant flight of her life.... Certainly not a good experience !!!

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1530444-u...un-vuelo-entre-costa-rica-y-madrid

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / Fairchild-227 / Ab318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789

MGASJO

RE: Passenger Stung By Scorpion On IB Flight

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:24 am

Was IB fined for smuggling endangered protected tropical species??

C208B

FCAFLYBOY

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Interesting. I guess someone bought a little present from the rainforest
onboard with them!

How far into the flight was she stung? Supposed to hurt like hell!

atcsundevil
Crew

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:08 am

This happens occasionally on flights from PHX. Scorpions will crawl into somebody's bag because they like hiding in dark places during the day. Pax will go to find something in their bag and get more than they bargained for. The most recent one I can recall was a WN flight from PHX to IND or something about two years ago, but I know there have been several other cases. They aren't a big deal unless you're allergic to them, but it'll still hurt like a Mike Foxtrot.

I suppose someone could try to smuggle it on board, but I can think of a few dozen other ways I'd rather choose to suffer on a transatlantic flight.

Fuling

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 3):
They aren't a big deal unless you're allergic to them

It'd be a big deal if one didn't know they were allergic. So this brings up a question, should Cabin Crew be taught basic first aid for bites and stings like this?

American 767

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:26 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 3):
I can think of a few dozen other ways I'd rather choose to suffer on a transatlantic flight.

Right. I'd rather fly on a worn out 757 TATL in Y Class, be delayed, be diverted somewhere, arrive hours behind schedule, instead of a nice and clean modern comfy A340 in F Class, arrive on time and be stung by a scorpion.

Good to know the lady is fine. I hope she will recover from her emotions.

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

AR385

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 am

This is just so no news worthy. It happens often, and in every part of the world. I´ve seen so many kinds of different vermin on my flights that I think airliners are sort of a local fauna showcase. As long as they don´t become infested, I don´t see the big deal.

atcsundevil
Crew

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Quoting Fuling (Reply 4):
It'd be a big deal if one didn't know they were allergic. So this brings up a question, should Cabin Crew be taught basic first aid for bites and stings like this?

As far as I know, they usually go through basic CPR/AED/First Aid training. First Aid training does encompass insect bites and stings (albeit briefly), and I would imagine they have some extra training when it comes to allergic reactions (e.g. peanuts). For people who are allergic to scorpion stings, Benadryl usually works. If it doesn't, I would think that most first aid kits on board aircraft would contain an Epinephrine autoinjector. If they aren't allergic, several shots of vodka will do.

Quoting American 767 (Reply 5):
Right. I'd rather fly on a worn out 757 TATL in Y Class, be delayed, be diverted somewhere, arrive hours behind schedule, instead of a nice and clean modern comfy A340 in F Class, arrive on time and be stung by a scorpion.

Except running out of liquor. I'd take the scorpion sting rather than be out of booze on a transatlantic flight.

santi319

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:30 pm

It happened recently in NK too, from SAL to FLL. I guess scorpions in Central America want out lol.