LAXintl
Topic Author

DOT Awards AirTran DEN-SJD, Strips Republic

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

DOT today is out with designation decision that grants AirTran its requested Denver-San Jose del Cabo route authority.

AirTran argued that Republic Airlines which held dormant authority in this limited entry market had failed to utilize these rights since 2008 creating circumstances that were not in the public interest.

DOT agrees.

AirTran proposes to commence year-round DEN-SJD service within 90-days of receipt of all regulatory approvals.

OST-2012-0190
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

airliner371

RE: DOT Awards AirTran DEN-SJD, Strips Republic

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 am

No surprise at all.

Not to hijack the thread but what does anyone think of FL entering GDL and PVR (from anywhere). I know WN offered to start FL service on GDL-SNA when interjet applied but SNA wanted competition. GDL can't be far away from starting.

jporterfi

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 1):

Honestly, I was very surprised when WN/FL started this expansion into Mexico from Western cities. I think PVR would be a good route to start, either as year-round or as a summer-only route (I'm not sure if they can successfully compete with UA and F9 on this route if they do it year-round).

I don't know much about GDL in terms of how much of a tourist destination it is, but it looks like it has pretty good coverage by other American carriers. Because UA and F9 aren't in this market, I think WN has a shot at being successful with it.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 2):
I don't know much about GDL in terms of how much of a tourist destination it is,

It's not, but it's a huge VFR market, albeit not from every part of the States. TZ flew MDW-GDL almost until it shut down, if not all the way to the end.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

RyanairGuru

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Out of interest why didn't RP (F9) use these route authorities?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

mariner

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 4):
Out of interest why didn't RP (F9) use these route authorities?

As it turned out, there was no need or value.

Republic applied for the several authorities when it first acquired Frontier. They gave it the opportunity to put a smaller aircraft (the E190) on the route if it was necessary in off or shoulder season, or for the whole season as with DEN-ZIH and MCI-SJD (for at least one winter).

But the economics of the E190 declined with the rise in the price of fuel and with the decision that Frontier become an all-Airbus airline, these authorities became irrelevant.

mariner
aeternum nauta

usflyguy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Wonder what other destinations we'll see out of DEN... possibly MEX, ACA, PVR, MBJ, SJO, LIR, PTY, etc...

What other dormant route authorities does RP hold?
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

wnflyguy

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:04 pm

This is great news.
Personally I would like to see the 2nd daily SNA-SJD operate only on Friday and Sunday.
Then add NEW service to ZIH on Tuesday and Thursday and PVR on Monday,Wednesday and Saturday.
FL already has infrastructure at both ZIH and PVR with it's charters from MKE.
They could run the same schedule to DEN.
A/C flow orig SNA-SJD/ZIH/PVR-DEN-SJD/ZIH/PVR-SNA ron.
wnfg
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

azstar

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:08 pm

I suspect WN/FL will replace all of F9's international service from DEN, just as it has taken over many of F9's domestic markets.

sdoyon

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Quoting azstar (Reply 8):

I suspect WN/FL will replace all of F9's international service from DEN, just as it has taken over many of F9's domestic markets.

That's definitely the goal. When the FL brand is retired in 2015, you'll see all these new int'l routes [SJD-SNA/DEN, SAT-MEX, etc...] taken over by WN. They're setting the stage and getting the route authorities now.