jfklganyc
Topic Author

ORD/MDW To Obama? Inevitable?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 am

Starters...I don't care about politics, so let's not get lost in the weeds.

Several US Presidents have airports named after them. Usually a historic President or a hometown President.

In the case of Obama, you have the nations first African American President...and he is very closely linked to his hometown of Chicago. He also seems to be very popular there and the current Mayor is Obama's former Chief of Staff.

Do we forsee a name change of either airport over the next decade? If so, which airport?

iFlyLOTs

RE: ORD/MDW To Obama? Inevitable?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:31 am

Neither, they're already named after historical figures/events, no need to add Obama to it. (I like Obama but give him am airport somewhere else)
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

Mir

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Thread starter):
Do we forsee a name change of either airport over the next decade? If so, which airport?

I'd doubt it, actually. O'Hare and Midway's names are both so well-known that I have a hard time thinking the city would go along with the change.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

redzeppelin

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:39 am

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 1):
Neither, they're already named after historical figures/events, no need to add Obama to it.

Agreed.
Both airports have names associated with World War 2, and it would be hard to find anybody with the political will to change them. But what about HNL? HNL to me is the obvious future Barack Obama International Airport.

[Edited 2012-12-10 19:40:05]

iFlyLOTs

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:41 am

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 3):
HNL to me is obvious future Barack Obama International Airport.

That would be perfect! The tea party will certainly push for it to be NBO though.

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 am

African American President overrides WW2 in a city that is overwhelmingly minority in terms of political will.

Case in point Atlanta Hartsfield...doesn't that have Jackson in it now?

PHX787

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 am

I can see it being O'hare/Obama international in the future, but nothing that removes O'Hare from ORD. Midway's name isn't going nowhere.

It's almost like how nobody calls it the "Willis Tower." I tell a foreigner when they visit Chicago "Hey did you visit the Willis Tower?" and they give me a confused look until I say "Sears Tower." Then they know what I'm saying.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

bond007

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:52 am

But what about HNL? HNL to me is obvious future Barack Obama International Airport.

...or Lagos  

Bear in mind, very few airports are named after people still alive.

NO do not hijack this thread into a list of airports that were named after live people.....but that will happen, and I will reply with rolled eyes !

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

crj900lr

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:52 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 5):

True, but what would the name be then if they decided to somehow incorporate Obama's name into either MDW or ORD's name?

iFlyLOTs

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 6):
It's almost like how nobody calls it the "Willis Tower." I tell a foreigner when they visit Chicago "Hey did you visit the Willis Tower?" and they give me a confused look until I say "Sears Tower." Then they know what I'm saying.

This along with people still calling U.S. Cellular Field Comiskey Park just goes to show how much we don't like change here in Chicago.

African American President overrides WW2 in a city that is overwhelmingly minority in terms of political will.

It still doesn't add up to a change. The only chance I see Obama having for a Chicago airport named for him is the proposed third airport, and chances of that happening are still slim.

Viscount724

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 am

Several US Presidents have airports named after them.

Considering that Obama is the 44th President, the number of airports named for them is fairly small.
http://www.presidentsusa.net/airports.html

Canada has had 22 Prime Ministers (22 different people; a few served more than once) and if memory correct, 4 have airports named for them (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Saskatoon).

BMI727

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:03 am

ORD/MDW To Obama? Inevitable?  

Considering the state of budgets in Chicago and Illinois, they should take a page from sports teams and sell naming rights to Midway to the highest bidder.

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 9):
This along with people still calling U.S. Cellular Field Comiskey Park just goes to show how much we don't like change here in Chicago.

Well, there are certain people who refer to it as Cominskey Field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPUhulaRzpU

Of course, this is changing as now it seems most people refer to it as US Cellular. If you talk about Comiskey Park people will probably assume you're talking about the old stadium.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

ouboy79

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:08 am

I can see it being O'hare/Obama international in the future, but nothing that removes O'Hare from ORD. Midway's name isn't going nowhere.

I could definitely see that. Chicago O'Hare-Obama International Airport. Though I do like the idea of Honolulu a bit more.

Whenever I'm in Chicago my friends and people there always just seem to call it the "former Sears tower" unless they end up working in the building itself.

usflyer msp

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:08 am

I say give DCA to Obama and rename ONT or LGB after Reagan. Most DC residents detest Ronald Reagan and were very upset when congress renamed their airport after him, so it would be a win-win.

usflyer msp

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:18 am

Quoting Jerseyguy (Reply 14):
So Obama is the first Black president, that makes him worthy of an airport?

Who said that (other than you)? If Reagan, Bill and Hillary Clinton, George Bush No. 1 and Gerald Ford can have airports named after them so can President Obama.

Viajero

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:32 am

From an outside perspective, I agree with others here that Chicago's airports will not likely be renamed, however, I feel that Barack Obama will have an airport named after him somewhere in the U.S. Due to recent history, most presidents since Reagan have been honored in such a way, with the exception of George W. Bush. IIRC, the airport in Little Rock, Arkansas is now named after Bill AND Hillary Clinton. HNL would be a good choice due to Obama's childhood history.

iFlyLOTs

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:33 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 15):
Who said that (other than you)?
In the case of Obama, you have the nations first African American President

It was the reasoning from the very beginning.  

sixtyseven

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:37 am

Funny this about Reagan. When I used to fly to DCA after the name changed from National, the ATC guys would not acknowledge the name change. Their beef with RR was that deep. If you asked a second time on check in they'd say something like "This is Washington national tower, cleared to land."

Would not even acknowledge Reagan's name. They hate him and always will.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

727LOVER

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:38 am

Whats the official name of LIT? When was this?
Love Trumps Hate

mayor

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:48 am

I still call the, now, Energy Solutions Arena (what a hokey name) in SLC, the Delta Center and probably always will.

Who said that (other than you)? If Reagan, Bill and Hillary Clinton, George Bush No. 1 and Gerald Ford can have airports named after them so can President Obama.

I think it was the thread starter, from the beginning....

In the case of Obama, you have the nations first African American President
African American President overrides WW2 in a city that is overwhelmingly minority in terms of political will

I'm not trying to make this political, but to link a Medal of Honor winner with Obama is just wrong.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Viajero

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 19):
Whats the official name of LIT? When was this?

Bill and Hillary Clinton National / Adams Field. Happened this year.

Beardown91737

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 am

People also still call Soldier Field "Soldier's" even though it was never named that.

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 13):
I say give DCA to Obama and rename ONT or LGB after Reagan.

ONT has little connection to Reagan. SNA would be a better candidate, or maybe LAX would. ONT would be more closely connected to Nixon than to any other president. He would announce candidacies from Pomona and he did use ONT in his travels.

Both airports have names associated with World War 2, and it would be hard to find anybody with the political will to change them

I agree with that. IMO, MDW is the more untouchable of the two from my former North Side perspective of public opinion.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

HNLPointShoot

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:07 am

So Obama is the first Black president, that makes him worthy of an airport? Wasn't it Martin Luther King that said "I have a dream that a man will be judged not by the color of his skin but the content of his character"?

He's the first President to have been born in Hawaii, and the first President to come from Illinois since Reconstruction (Ulysses S. Grant), so I fail to see how his ethnicity is relevant.

That said, I'd rather see a Barack Obama High School before Barack Obama International Airport (even though he graduated from a private school.)

HA_DC9

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:19 am

Oh hell no! Keep HNL, Honolulu International Airport. I swear the "Obamamania" can get down right ridiculous at times. Besides, a lot of things can happen over the next 4 years that could tarnish his presidency/legacy just like several previous commanders in chief before him.

I agree, i'd rather see an HS named after him before an airport.

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 am

Am I the only one who really likes the current names for the Chicago airports? Is there really any political will to do this? IMHO, it would be simpler to pick an airfield with a name that isn't as well known. Hey, LAX needs a name besides "LAX."  

How many still call DCA "National" instead of Reagan?

Quoting SixtySeven (Reply 21):

I hear KORD is going to change when it becomes Obama Field.

It'll now be KLIF.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

quiet1

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 am

With a further nod to history: O'Hare/Obama/Orchard International AIrport?  

jcwr56

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 am

If it wasn't done with the former Mayor Harold Washington, it's not going happen with POTUS. Or look at it this way, even both Daley's were smart enough not to change the names of ORD and MDW.

However, if the current mayor finally works out a deal to privatize MDW by years end, then perhaps the new "owners" might have the courage to change it.

Sadly, money talks this day and age.

strfyr51

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 am

Not a chance. They Could change the name to Barack Obama International but changing the Designator from HNL?
Senator Feinstein (Then Mayor) tried that at SFO after Mayor Moscone was assassinated . The FAA said she could name the airport whatever she damn well pleased BUT the SFO designator would remain as MOS was Moscow, and it wasn't going anywhere.

STT757

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:52 am

I agree with those that say leave ORD and MDW, they're already named. Perhaps HNL or Springfield (SPI).
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

IMissPiedmont

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:55 am

Perhaps it's time for cities to no longer name their airports after ex presidents. Anytime someone asks if I'm flying into Reagan airport I tell them that I'm flying into National, likewise Intercontinental for Houston.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

STT757

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 31):
Perhaps it's time for cities to no longer name their airports after ex presidents. Anytime someone asks if I'm flying into Reagan airport I tell them that I'm flying into National, likewise Intercontinental for Houston.

What about JFK, you're flying into Idlewild?

While we're naming airports I think MCO should be renamed "Walt Disney International Airport". Walt Disney, the man, is responsible for most of the economic activity in the region and for putting Orlando on the map. If anyone deserved to have a local airport named after them it should be Walt Disney.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
I'd doubt it, actually. O'Hare and Midway's names are both so well-known that I have a hard time thinking the city would go along with the change.

I agree, political will & all that. Although, a new field being built would not be out of the question to have that for a name...

HNL to me is the obvious future Barack Obama International Airport.

I don't think think there's anything wrong with that idea.

I tell a foreigner when they visit Chicago "Hey did you visit the Willis Tower?" and they give me a confused look until I say "Sears Tower." Then they know what I'm saying.

Not really. They just renamed it. Give it five years. No one calls the AON Center the Standard Oil Building anymore. That one even had a nickname.

Quoting SixtySeven (Reply 21):

Good one...

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 26):

Lots. And it's fine to do so, given that it's Reagan National anyway.

Hey, LAX needs a name besides "LAX."

LAX is fine the way it is. Also, no connection here In N Out Int'l to President O...
Be A Perfectionst, You're Nothing If You're Just Another; Something Material, This Isn't Personal...

aluminumtubing

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Quoting HA_DC9 (Reply 25):
I swear the "Obamamania" can get down right ridiculous at times.

Amen to that!

NMORD

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Peotone could use a name - hahaha

ckfred

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Remember that ATL was Hartsfield-Atlanta International Airport. I believe William Hartsfield was the Mayor of Atlanta who pushed the idea of a municipal airport.

Then, it became Hartsfield/Jackson-Atlanta International Airport. Maynard Jackson, I believe, was the first black to be elected as Mayor of Atlanta, and he was a part of the group who brought the Olympics to Atlanta.

Yet, many people in Atlanta simply refer to the airport as Hartsfield, despite the name change.

So, even if something in Chicago is renamed for Obama, many people probably will keep calling it by the old name. The Aon Tower is usually called the Standard Oil Building, even though Standard Oil/Amoco/BP left the building some time ago.

bdl2stl2pvg

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 30):
Perhaps HNL or Springfield (SPI).

Well, even though its been almost 150 years since his death, I think that renaming Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport (SPI) would not be a well supported action.

[Edited 2012-12-11 06:31:30]

max550

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 7):
Bear in mind, very few airports are named after people still alive.

But when it comes to Presidents the opposite seems to hold true. Bush, Reagan, Clinton, and Ford all had airports named for them while they were (are) still living

Quoting HA_DC9 (Reply 25):
Oh hell no! Keep HNL, Honolulu International Airport. I swear the "Obamamania" can get down right ridiculous at times. Besides, a lot of things can happen over the next 4 years that could tarnish his presidency/legacy just like several previous commanders in chief before him.

I don't think it's "Obamamania". Considering we've had airports renamed for several of the last few Presidents it seems like a perfectly valid question. I agree with you about HNL though, there's no need to change any more airport names.

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 31):

Agreed, how about no more name changes at all? Although I enjoy the irony when the TSA confiscates any liquids I may have and then runs me through a body scanner at Liberty International Airport (EWR), name changes are generally pointless exercises.

smittyone

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Wasn't it Martin Luther King that said "I have a dream that a man will be judged not by the color of his skin..."

Nor by the size of his airport, nor the quality of its concourses.

I do.

2travel2know2

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Isn't GYY looking for a name? And for all accounts GYY is in Chicagoland.
Maybe if it's named after a U.S. president that airport would see some kind of major development and traffic.
HNL named after Obama is also a good idea, perhaps better than a Chicaland airport named after him, after all Hawaiian "HNL Obama" would be a great way to remind the U.S. how diverse its people are.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

ORDJOE

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

he is very closely linked to his hometown of Chicago.

I would say HNL is more his hometown, he has only lived in Chicago since the 90s

I would not go that far, chicago has so many different minority groups that none get big enough to truly dominate the political landscape. Take the recent mayorial election, you had a black lady, a hispanic, and Rahm Emanuel, and look who won that.

It would be highly controversial to change either of those names. They have tried selling the naming rights to Solider's Field where the Bears play and that has never got off the ground. The most they could get was Soliders field presented by Chase Bank. To change an airport named after a WWII hero or the battle that turned the course of the war in the pacific would be political suicide.
The best chance is if there is an extra airport built, then that will have a good chance.

DashTrash

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Name Meigs Field after him......

Rdh3e

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 13):
Most DC residents detest Ronald Reagan and were very upset when congress renamed their airport after him, so it would be a win-win.

But I'd guess that most of the users of DCA probably don't mind the name. The demographics of DC are quite interesting as you probably know.

Am I the only one who really likes the current names for the Chicago airports?

No, I very much like O'hare International Airport. And like many others feel a sense of pride when walking past the memorial to "Butch".

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 28):
If it wasn't done with the former Mayor Harold Washington, it's not going happen with POTUS. Or look at it this way, even both Daley's were smart enough not to change the names of ORD and MDW.

Yeah, Harold Washington has the Library/Subsequent "L" stop named after him. The library is an absolutely beautiful building, and I could see something similar in the short term after Obama's term in office.

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 33):

Not really. They just renamed it. Give it five years. No one calls the AON Center the Standard Oil Building anymore. That one even had a nickname.

It's been only 3 so far, but in 5, they'll have only 7 years left on their rights ot the name...

"A Willis spokesman said the naming rights were obtained as part of the negotiations at no cost to Willis,[33][34][35] and the building was renamed the Willis Tower on July 16, 2009.[36] The naming rights are valid for 15 years so it is possible that the building’s name could change again in 2024.[37] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Tower#Naming_rights

Rumor is, with UA consolidating offices into Willis, and becoming the biggest leaseholder, there may be a name change sometime in the future....

BC77008

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 37):
They can change the city code to DEBT for everything he left us

Great idea! An airport named after George W. Bush. Perhaps DFW???

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 23):
I agree with that. IMO, MDW is the more untouchable of the two from my former North Side perspective of public opinion.

I'd rather see Midway renamed Chicago-Midway Obama Int'l -vs- O'Hare because O'Hare is actually named for a person. But in either case, I say leave Chicago's airports alone. Let's just get a presidential library and be ok with that.
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 44):

Rumor is, with UA consolidating offices into Willis, and becoming the biggest leaseholder, there may be a name change sometime in the future...

Right. Possible, but not certain. If they did switch it over to the biggest leaseholder though, that probably wouldn't swing it back to Sears. United Tower. That might stick....
Be A Perfectionst, You're Nothing If You're Just Another; Something Material, This Isn't Personal...

n797mx

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:06 pm

How about they name Meigs after hi-...

Oh wait...   
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

max550

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 44):
But I'd guess that most of the users of DCA probably don't mind the name. The demographics of DC are quite interesting as you probably know.

I'm guessing you haven't used DCA much. Nobody in DC calls it Reagan, it's National. The few times I made the mistake of calling it Reagan in DC I was quickly corrected.

Rdh3e

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Quoting max550 (Reply 48):
I'm guessing you haven't used DCA much. Nobody in DC calls it Reagan, it's National. The few times I made the mistake of calling it Reagan in DC I was quickly corrected.

Just cause you continue using National as the name doesn't mean you hate the Reagan name... It's a habit, and not to mention National is still part of the name.... http://www.metwashairports.com/reagan/reagan.htm

26point2

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:21 pm

I hope not. There's already a George Bush airport in Texas. Imagine the confusion. "Who's on First?..."

Why don't they name Bagdad Airport for George W?

milesrich

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Starters...I don't care about politics, so let's not get lost in the weeds.

Several US Presidents have airports named after them. Usually a historic President or a hometown President.

In the case of Obama, you have the nations first African American President...and he is very closely linked to his hometown of Chicago. He also seems to be very popular there and the current Mayor is Obama's former Chief of Staff.

Do we forsee a name change of either airport over the next decade? If so, which air

These are the airports, named after Presidents. John F. Kennedy International Airport - New York, New York

George Bush Intercontinental Airport - Houston, Texas

Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport - Washington, DC

Gerald R. Ford International Airport - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport - Springfield, Illinois

Dickinson Theodore Roosevelt Regional Airport - Dickinson, North Dakota

Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport - formerly Little Rock Municipal Airport

Notice, the only Democrat, before the Little Rock renaming this year, is John F. Kennedy, who was assassinated and who also was a "young" seemingly dashing man, who was revered because he was shot, not because he was President for two terms, or passed a lot of meaningful legislation. Yes, he was a good leader, but the rush to name things after him took place in the wake of a terrible national tragedy. Furthermore, the prior official name was New York International Airport, Anderson Field, named for a General who had died in 1942. The airport was called Idlewild by most people and its designator was IDL, named after the golf course that used to occupy part of its space. I can assure you I was just as much an airline buff when I moved to NYC in 1962 and when IDL was the primary airport for jet flights, and not only did no one call it Anderson Field, few knew that was the official name, so there was no protest about taking General Anderson's name off the field in December 1963 when the official name was changed to JFK.

The original poster said not to be political, but that is what this is all about. Republicans, IMHO, have sort of an inferiority complex. The only Presidents that they wanted to claim before Reagan were Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt and Lincoln. It used to be we didn't name things after living people, but that all changed when Reaganism took the country by storm. The four terms of FDR so stuck in their craw that the first thing they did after taking over the Congress after his death was pass that 22nd Amendment. Never again would that have to refer to anyone as "THAT MAN". Can you imagine today if FDR was around. Fox News would refer to him as that philandering crippled nightly. When I was a kid, a popular GOP tale was that FDR knew the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbor and her purposefully didn't warn anyone because he wanted a surprise attack so he could take us into WWII. There were radio personalities like Father Coughlin that referred to him as Franklin Delano Jewsevelt.

So after the 2nd Coming in the name of Ronald Wilson Reagan, the GOP wanted to name everything after him, and wih DCA, they got their way, but when they wanted to replace FDR on the Dime, that didn't go over too well.

Grand Rapids named their airport which was formerly the Kent County Airport after Gerald R. Ford, their Congressman who became President after being appointed to replace a criminal, Spiro Agnew, and then became President when another criminal resigned during the Watergate scandal.

So when George H. W. Bush, a one term President who was more unpopular than Jimmy Carter when he left office (he got 37% of the vote), went back to Houston, they named IAH after him, since they had named their older airport, after a living person, former Texas Governor William P. Hobby, who was a civic leader and head of the major Houston newspaper, the Post.

During this same, let's name things after Republicans because so many things are named Roosevelt, or Kennedy, time, Republicans spent millions to erect small highway signs all over the country to name the Interstate Highway system, after its creator, Dwight D. Eisenhower.

O'Hare will always be O'Hare. No one ever called it Orchard Place to begin with. And it was a C-54 plant before it was a commercial airport, and really not used very much before the advent of the B-707.

Midway, named after the battle in the Pacific, will not be renamed either.

As far as SPI, it was the Springfield Capital Airport before it was named for Lincoln in the last 20 years or so.

I will never call National Airport "Reagan" and I still call IAH Intercontinental. ATL will always be Hartsfield. Changing names of landmarks to me is distasteful. It is like burying someone on top of a loved one and removing and replacing the original headstone. .

But Obama will get an airport named after him and it won't replace anyone else's monument. HNL will probably end up officially name Barack Obama Honolulu International Airport. Hawaii is not the home to too many birthers or other crackpots who think our President is a Muslim, a Marxist, or even a Socialist, let alone a Nazi.

[Edited 2012-12-11 09:23:17]

Kaiarahi

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:12 pm

JFK started out as Major General Alexander E. Anderson Airport in 1943, was renamed NY International Airport, Anderson Field in 1948, and then JFK in 1963. It was never actually named Idlewild.
Empty vessels make the most noise.