Gonzalo
Topic Author

GRU Airport Will Have Rail Link With Downtown SP

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:23 pm

What impact will have this project in this mega-city ?
Residents are already saying they are not happy ( NIMBY Festival Coming Soon )...

Your thoughts ?

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...irport-launches-bid-rail-link-1210
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / Fairchild-227 / Ab318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789

oksman

RE: GRU Airport Will Have Rail Link With Downtown SP

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):
Your thoughts ?

It´s Brazil. I´ll believe it when I see it.

sciurusmdg

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 pm

The whole airport needs a revamp, not just the connections into the city, but I suppose its a good starting point. It is hell to go from GRU into San Pablo.

Worth noting that TAM have also been updating their lounges, and have now taken the rather odd Grand Piano out of the Biz one...

aloges

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Quoting oksman (Reply 1):

My thoughts exactly.   
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

LAXdude1023

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 pm

What parts of Sao Paulo would be connected? Downtown or the Paulista Ave. area new the Jardims?
It is what it is...

helvknight

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:22 pm

It also depends where the link is going. If it's an extension of the metro (which it probably will be according to Urbanrail.net) then that's OK but if it's a link to Estacao da Luz that is a very bad area of Sao Paulo to be, especially after dark.

http://www.urbanrail.net/am/spau/sao-paulo.htm
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

tonytifao

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 pm

To be completed 2065! Can't wait!

sampa737

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:55 pm

I once read that it would connect both airports, Congonhas to Garulhos. Lots of plans. It's been an election year here so we'll see. What's cool is the new monorail being built. That would be pretty nice to Garulhos. Right now Airport Bus Service is roughly U$17 one way between CGH and GRU and takes 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on time of day.

steve6666

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 pm

I first heard of this project being in planning about 4 years ago, no idea when it was actually conceived.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 4):
What parts of Sao Paulo would be connected? Downtown or the Paulista Ave. area new the Jardims?

I was looking at some "future state" (about 2020) of the São Paulo metro system the other day - iirc, it is supposed to link with the metro system somewhere up in the north east of the city proper, so arguably many areas of SP would be connected, just you would need to change trains a lot. The monorail has started construction for some months now, and iirc that is supposed to connect Congonhas with the metro system.

But, as the proper locals have said, this is Brazil, so..........anything could happen.

In an ideal, wet dream world, the fabled fast train from SP to Rio would link CGH - downtown SP - GRU - GIG and SDU. Again, believe it when I see it.
eu nasci ha dez mil anos atras, e nao tem nada nesse mundo que eu nao saiba demais

jsnww81

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 pm

As many others have said, I'll believe it when I see it. Brazilians dream big when it comes to infrastructure - which is awesome - but plans don't always get off of paper as quickly as they should. We have the same problem here in the US more and more often.

Quoting steve6666 (Reply 8):
The monorail has started construction for some months now, and iirc that is supposed to connect Congonhas with the metro system.

This will be a great addition. The traffic getting to CGH was almost as bad as GRU, even though the distance is half (however, can we at least agree that CGH is one of the coolest airports out there?)

Also, what's the status of Terminal 3 at GRU? Land was cleared a long time ago but during my visit (in July) nothing had gone vertical at all. The clock is ticking toward the World Cup and 2016 Olympics and GRU definitely needs all the extra terminal space it can get.

Rafabozzolla

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:47 am

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 9):
Also, what's the status of Terminal 3 at GRU? Land was cleared a long time ago but during my visit (in July) nothing had gone vertical at all. The clock is ticking toward the World Cup and 2016 Olympics and GRU definitely needs all the extra terminal space it can get.

The new operator has a site up and running www.gru.com.br/en. There's a video (scroll down the main page) showing plans for what seems to be a more modest T3 (at least compared to Infraero's original plan, not so much in terms of capacity but a simpler architectural structure) that should be ready by 2014. According to the video, there should be an extra 22 jetways and a total addition of 36 parking positions.

macsog6

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am

Same here, but the last time I was there it took us almost five hours to get from the Brooklin area to GRU so I certainly hope it is true.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

pierrelav

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Yes. They WILL have.. One day...

incitatus

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Not even that!

Got to be "I believe it when I use it!". We may see it, and it might still not be working, so I gotta use it to believe it.  
Stop pop up ads