OzarkD9S
Topic Author

AA Rolls Out New Fare Structure

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:23 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/american-airli...olls-fare-structure-165124789.html

The new fare categories:

— "Choice" tickets will be similar to the current basic economy fare. If a passenger wants to check a bag or change the reservation later, he or she will be charged extra.

— "Choice Essential" fares will cost an extra $68 per round trip and include one checked bag, no additional fee for changing the itinerary later, and early boarding.

— "Choice Plus", an extra $88 per round trip, will include a checked bag, no change fees and early boarding plus bonus miles for frequent-flier purposes, standby privileges, a drink for no additional charges and other perks.

I just ran a check on "Choice", STL-RIC-STL in March, using an ad banner and came up with the LOWEST fare of $832, each way. Hope that's an IT bug or AA is pricing themselves into oblivion.

[Edited 2012-12-12 10:29:17]

5 minutes later through aa.com and it's down to a reasonable $396 r/t. Gotta love it.

[Edited 2012-12-12 10:34:47]
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

SPREE34

RE: AA Rolls Out New Fare Structure

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:26 pm

I guess the PAX will all wear a colored band on their wrists, so the FAs will know what level of abuse,...er,...I mean service to provide.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

rangercarp

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Looks a lot like the Frontier fare structure...
iwgbtp!

usairways85

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 pm

I'd have to read all of the specifics. They are taking a gamble for someone to pay less upfront for the possibility of changing their flight rather than someone paying more only if they indeed change.

AeroWesty

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:18 pm

This is very bizarre, and I don't like it at all. First, I haven't found a way to sort by price (perhaps there's a way). You have to click on the tabs at the bottom of the page to see which page has the lowest-priced fares, and do it twice, for both the outbound and return flights, rather than the simple sort aa.com used to have. Then you get the choice of adding the new bundled features when you select your return flight.

I'm guessing this is one of the ways AA is attempting to drive more traffic to aa.com rather than to third-party websites for booking. But a trial run comparing aa.com and Orbitz for a basic unbundled fare, led to a far easier experience finding the lowest-priced fares at the most convenient times on Orbitz, driving me away from the aa.com site.

At least it's better than the disaster delta.com was when they updated their website about a month ago. That was riddled with formatting and other problems.
International Homo of Mystery

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting rangercarp (Reply 2):
Looks a lot like the Frontier fare structure...

Yup, and the Choice Essential to Choice Plus jump looks a lot like the jump from Anytime to Business Select on WN. As a business traveler who often needs a changeable ticket, I have found both the F9 fare system and the WN fare system work really well, much better than the 100 percent or more markup that is often found on the legacies for a changeable ticket. At that point and given that I change maybe 20-30 percent of my changeable tickets, I may as well but the non-changeable ticket and pay the change fee occasionally. WN and F9 come out ahead with me because it's very rare that I'll buy a refundable ticket on a legacy but I almost always buy them on WN.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

brilondon

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 3):

I'd have to read all of the specifics. They are taking a gamble for someone to pay less upfront for the possibility of changing their flight rather than someone paying more only if they indeed change.

They already charge more for these type of fares and if you need to change, you pay for it or lose the ticket.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 5):
This is very bizarre, and I don't like it at all. First, I haven't found a way to sort by price (perhaps there's a way). You have to click on the tabs at the bottom of the page to see which page has the lowest-priced fares, and do it twice, for both the outbound and return flights, rather than the simple sort aa.com used to have. Then you get the choice of adding the new bundled features when you select your return flight.

Really? The option to find the lowest fare is right on the search page. You just have to have the indicator chosen for "lowest fare" option, and the lowest fare will be shown. Not sure what you are doing but it seems easy to me.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

AA77W

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 pm

I think this is a smart move on AA's part. It provides for a tailored approach for customers to choose which services are valuable/important without feeling nickeled and dimed. Especially valuable and exciting to me is the ability to choose a fare that allows for a checked bag (or extra baggage for elites) and the flexibility to change my ticket without getting slapped with that $150 change fee. I realize the change option has been around for a while, but to not have to buy a "flexibility package" or a fare that has been seemingly much, much more expensive to get that flexibility makes for a much more pleasant booking experience for me. Yay for choices!

I do wonder about F/A's keeping track of this information and if travel agents will be able to book these fares through a GDS?

AeroWesty

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 7):
Really? The option to find the lowest fare is right on the search page. You just have to have the indicator chosen for "lowest fare" option, and the lowest fare will be shown. Not sure what you are doing but it seems easy to me.

Pull up PDX-MIA outbound Jan 9, returning Jan 16. The lowest fare, $416, is only viewable if you select it from the page 2 tab on the bottom of the page, and then it requires scrolling half way down the page to find it. Have you seen something easier?

BoeingGuy

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm

I'm not seeing anything that states the lowest fare structure still doesn't allow you to pre-reserve seats. Is that correct?

usairways85

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 7):
They already charge more for these type of fares and if you need to change, you pay for it or lose the ticket.

Well I'm really confused. I'm a UA flier so I'm not sure how AA has done it but yes they have those types of refundable fares but they are typically at least double the lowest fare, not $88 more.

Are the Choice Essential & Plus $68/88 more than the Choice ticket respectively? So if I have a $600 Choice ticket get Choice plus for $688 and end up changing both RT legs as part of the bundled ticket. Where as if I purchase the $600 ticket previously I would have paid $150 each leg to change it, total of $900.

ScottB

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Quoting aa77w (Reply 8):
I do wonder about F/A's keeping track of this information

I doubt it's all that complicated; the kiosk/counter agent/online check-in/mobile app could all produce a document (or screen for the mobile app) with a bar code that the F/A's could scan to validate -- or they could look at the boarding pass for an indication of "Choice Plus." WN obviously has it figured out with Business Select which includes an adult beverage, too. DL does something similar for elites who don't get upgraded before check-in which is a nice touch.

I'd say that if you're going to spring for the "Choice Essential" fare, you might as well spend the extra $20 for "Choice Plus" for the extra miles, free same-day change, and alcohol.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 12):
I doubt it's all that complicated; the kiosk/counter agent/online check-in/mobile app could all produce a document (or screen for the mobile app) with a bar code that the F/A's could scan to validate -- or they could look at the boarding pass for an indication of "Choice Plus."

There are two ways to do it. WN does one and F9 does the other. WN kiosks spit out a second piece of paper that is a "drink ticket." The boarding pass could be used for this, but WN collects boarding passes upon boarding since they don't have a seat assignment on them.

F9 puts it on manifest, and F9 f/as approach each passenger and ask if he would like his free beverage - even at 7:900 in the morning in my experience. I don't know that one system is necessarily better than the other.

DLT123

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 pm

I can see where this will confuse travelers who travel less in terms of boarding - "But I'm group 1 - I should board before First Class".

That having been said, I tihnk it's a smart move on AA's part to figure out a bundled pricing scheme.

braniffmsy

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes, Travel Agencies can book these fares -- and it's EASY!
So, I'm loving this!
I think it's quiet the smart move on American's part. Clever.
This is a great value for the traveler.

bond007

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:06 am

For the cost of designing this pricing structure, maintaining it, changing the website, changing the reservation/ticketing systems, educating the employees ....they would have been better off with 2 categories - Business & Other, and increasing every fare by $10-20

Would have saved millions initially, and ongoing costs would be minimal. No pax would be confused.

...but this is true for most airlines' over-complex pricing structures, and one of the primary reasons, IMO, why most of them have lost money and ended up in bankruptcy.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Tugger

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 12):
I'd say that if you're going to spring for the "Choice Essential" fare, you might as well spend the extra $20 for "Choice Plus" for the extra miles, free same-day change, and alcohol.

I am sure they are counting on it and why they priced it so close. Once someone has made the decision to go the extra $68 why not go an extra $20 for "all the other stuff"?

Quoting bond007 (Reply 17):
For the cost of designing this pricing structure, maintaining it, changing the website, changing the reservation/ticketing systems, educating the employees ....they would have been better off with 2 categories - Business & Other, and increasing every fare by $10-20

Would have saved millions initially, and ongoing costs would be minimal. No pax would be confused.

...but this is true for most airlines' over-complex pricing structures, and one of the primary reasons, IMO, why most of them have lost money and ended up in bankruptcy.

The problem is they couldn't advertize the lowest possible fare and be first (if they ever are really) on the travel websites. This is an elected choice by the traveler themselves, it is easier to understand and advertize then the myriad fees and pricing options etc. that were in place before. I wish them god luck, an extra $68 from a bunch of otherwise econo-traveling business people would be a goldmine (I still don't think the "real cheap" traveler is going to spend it).

If they are really smart they will offer a second free drink (two) at the second time you book a ticket with the Plus option. A simple way to get someone to try it and perhaps get hooked.

Tugg

[Edited 2012-12-12 16:16:55]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

bond007

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:51 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 19):
I wish them god luck, an extra $68 from a bunch of otherwise econo-traveling business people would be a goldmine (I still don't think the "real cheap" traveler is going to spend it).

But it probably cost them $70 per pax to come up with this structure!

..also, the business expense account is not what is used to be. Almost every company, and I speak from experience as somebody who charges on average 2 flights/week to different clients, will go over the prices selected in detail. For example, my last client did not pay for $45/flight more room on jetBlue. Current client does not pay business select on Southwest unless only fare available .... and these are big clients.

Fully refundable fares are fine, but in my experience it's the minority of business pax that have such a business where it's cost-effective to buy these regularly. If I change my flight less than once every 3 or 4 tickets, it's cheaper for me not to buy refundable.

I'm all for choices, but few folks realize how much overhead this is to the company ....it's absolutely huge.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

delimit

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:57 am

One has to assume they've run the numbers when coming up with these and aren't going to take a bath. I mean, they have petabytes of information on traveller behavior at their fingertips. Assuming they haven't analyzed it seems foolish.

I like it. A clearer fare structure with defined benefits works for me. I also think it will resonate with consumers.

Tugger

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:58 am

Quoting bond007 (Reply 21):

Well they on average carry about 250,000 passengers a day. So lets say 10% of them opt for this, that means an extra $1.8 million per day. How much do you think this cost to implement?

Tugg

[Edited 2012-12-12 17:05:00]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

commavia

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 am

I generally like the change. It's more transparent, provides more flexibility and options when booking, and looks clean.

They absolutely do have to restore the functionality to sort by different attributes, though - departure, arrival, fare, travel time, etc. Losing that is horrible. I'm also going to have to get used to the automatic round-trip pricing being displayed by default.

But overall, once they get the bugs worked out and address some of the issues already being discussed here and elsewhere, I think this will end up being a positive change.

nwcoflyer

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 24):
I generally like the change. It's more transparent, provides more flexibility and options when booking, and looks clean.

They absolutely do have to restore the functionality to sort by different attributes, though - departure, arrival, fare, travel time, etc. Losing that is horrible. I'm also going to have to get used to the automatic round-trip pricing being displayed by default.

But overall, once they get the bugs worked out and address some of the issues already being discussed here and elsewhere, I think this will end up being a positive change.

I completely agree. This allows customers who "hate getting nickled and dimed" to put their money where there mouth is. Want the bag, drink and free standy again? No change fee? Pay the extra 88. Otherwise pay the low base fare and keep quiet when you pay $25 for your bag, then a $75 dollar move up fee and $7 for your beer on the plane. I hope it works out well for AA and maybe the rest of the industry can follow suit.
The New American is arriving.

AeroWesty

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 22):
I like it. A clearer fare structure with defined benefits works for me. I also think it will resonate with consumers.

Time will tell on this. One of the things eliminated in the new fare structure is the free same-day standby for some of the higher fare classes. Buying stand-by privileges as an extra may not always be reimbursed by clients when billing the cost of airfare to another party (like for a consultant). Those depending upon the ability to standby for earlier or later flights may move considerable high dollar fares to other carriers if passengers are stuck with the cost themselves.

I asked the AA P.R. rep in another forum what was accomplished by implementing this entirely new way of displaying fares and options that wouldn't have been feasible by simply adding buttons to click on to purchase the new choice options to the old website format which was much more user-friendly. I still don't understand why to find the lowest fare on the dummy booking I did earlier required going to the second page of results to find the cheapest outbound, then the third page of results to get the lowest cost return flights. We'll see what the answer is, if any.

Flighty

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:17 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
Buying stand-by privileges as an extra may not always be reimbursed by clients

It is part of the airfare. They may be smoothing the dollars into the fare in hopes to avoid this issue.

bond007

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:19 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 22):
One has to assume they've run the numbers when coming up with these and aren't going to take a bath. I mean, they have petabytes of information on traveller behavior at their fingertips. Assuming they haven't analyzed it seems foolish.

I totally agree, part of the reason I say it cost so much is actually because they did take a lot of time and effort to do the analysis....I'm sure they did exactly the same detailed analysis for all of their other major business decisions over the past 5 years ... in which I believe they lost many millions every year  

Jimbo

AeroWesty

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 27):
It is part of the airfare. They may be smoothing the dollars into the fare in hopes to avoid this issue.

It was being talked about on another forum that this might be a problem when the client reviews airfare submissions when the policy is lowest-price.

lax777lr

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 am

Interesting - Choice Plus is very close to AAdvantage Gold benefits on a segment basis plus a cocktail.

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:24 am

I doubt it. As others have pointed out, it's pretty much what WN and F9 do, and not terribly different from AC.

Quoting bond007 (Reply 17):
but this is true for most airlines' over-complex pricing structures, and one of the primary reasons, IMO, why most of them have lost money and ended up in bankruptcy.

How many coach fare buckets did AA have before this change? The current legacy system is much more complex than this one. Just look at the hoops you have to jump through to get a refundable ticket on UA, for instance. You either have to input "Y" manually or or read the fare rules since "flexible" fares are sometimes - but not always - refundable. How is AA's new system more complex than AA's old system?

If I change my flight less than once every 3 or 4 tickets, it's cheaper for me not to buy refundable.

One key point that you are missing, I think, is that for many of us that buy refundable tickets semi-regularly, the odds of needing to change vary drastically from flight to flight. I said above that I probably wind up changing on a quarter or a third of my flights. But at the time I book, most of my trips have a close to zero chance of needing to change or a 50 percent or more chance of needing to change.

Almost every company, and I speak from experience as somebody who charges on average 2 flights/week to different clients, will go over the prices selected in detail.

True, but in my experience most clients simply want a reason why you did what you did. "I bought refundable because I always bought refundable" isn't a good reason. "I bought refundable because the trip had already been canceled twice and you had already eaten two change fees" usually is all you need.

WROORD

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:33 am

I checked ORD-PVG and they have those fares on international flights as well. My question is how the heck they see someone going all the way to China with no bags on choice fare?

OB1504

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:45 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 1):
I guess the PAX will all wear a colored band on their wrists, so the FAs will know what level of abuse,...er,...I mean service to provide.

The only difference from an FA point of view is the complimentary alcoholic beverage. Upon check-in, passengers will be provided with a drink voucher to be presented on board, which the FA will accept in lieu of payment.

Quoting aa77w (Reply 8):
I do wonder about F/A's keeping track of this information and if travel agents will be able to book these fares through a GDS?

Or if ticket agents will be able to sell these at the airport, since the product bundles appear to be separate from the actual fare buckets themselves.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 10):
I'm not seeing anything that states the lowest fare structure still doesn't allow you to pre-reserve seats. Is that correct?

I thought the lowest fare class could always pre-reserve seats, unless the only ones remaining were Preferred or Main Cabin Extra, in which case an additional fee would apply.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 13):
There are two ways to do it. WN does one and F9 does the other. WN kiosks spit out a second piece of paper that is a "drink ticket."
AA will be following the WN model.

Quoting DLT123 (Reply 15):
I can see where this will confuse travelers who travel less in terms of boarding - "But I'm group 1 - I should board before First Class".

Surprisingly, this isn't a common problem with current passengers traveling in Group 1, since it seems to be generally understood that First Class (by definition) boards first.

Quoting nwcoflyer (Reply 25):
I completely agree. This allows customers who "hate getting nickled and dimed" to put their money where there mouth is. Want the bag, drink and free standy again? No change fee? Pay the extra 88. Otherwise pay the low base fare and keep quiet when you pay $25 for your bag, then a $75 dollar move up fee and $7 for your beer on the plane. I hope it works out well for AA and maybe the rest of the industry can follow suit.

I liked Frontier's implementation of all-inclusive fares and I'm glad that another airline is moving toward a similar model.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
Time will tell on this. One of the things eliminated in the new fare structure is the free same-day standby for some of the higher fare classes. Buying stand-by privileges as an extra may not always be reimbursed by clients when billing the cost of airfare to another party (like for a consultant). Those depending upon the ability to standby for earlier or later flights may move considerable high dollar fares to other carriers if passengers are stuck with the cost themselves.

I was under the impression that passengers with tickets booked in Y, B, or H would still be eligible for complimentary same-day standby, which was recently discontinued for all other coach fares due to high loads during the holiday season. Any passenger can standby for a later flight, as happens every day when people show up after the cutoff time for check-in.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 32):
How many coach fare buckets did AA have before this change?

Off of the top of my head, I can count B, G, K, L, M, N, O, Q, S, V, W, and Y (in no particular order), though I'm probably missing one or two more. I don't think the fare buckets are going away, but rather that the new product bundles will be added as special service requests to the bookings.

Quoting WROORD (Reply 33):
I checked ORD-PVG and they have those fares on international flights as well. My question is how the heck they see someone going all the way to China with no bags on choice fare?

One free checked bag is already offered on international flights (except to/from Canada), so it's probably the other benefits that are extended as part of the bundle.

[Edited 2012-12-12 19:47:12]

AeroWesty

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:04 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 34):
I was under the impression that passengers with tickets booked in Y, B, or H would still be eligible for complimentary same-day standby

There's a thread on this at FlyerTalk with the new fare rules and standby options.

mariner

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:14 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 32):
I doubt it. As others have pointed out, it's pretty much what WN and F9 do, and not terribly different from AC.

Is it all that different from Air New Zealand's "Seats to Suit" which has four choices?

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/the-choice-is-all-yours

mariner
aeternum nauta

DLT123

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:57 am

Surprisingly, this isn't a common problem with current passengers traveling in Group 1, since it seems to be generally understood that First Class (by definition) boards first.

Yes but more of what a well-known frequent flyer forum calls "kettles" will end up in Group 1 and perhaps not understand the protocol. Or perhaps not.

dcann40

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 36):
Is it all that different from Air New Zealand's "Seats to Suit" which has four choices?

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/the-choice-is-all-yours

mariner

No, not really - in fact, we can be sure that AA looked at a lot of current and past offerings from different carriers to see what might work best now. At least I would presume that was done...

mariner

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 am

Quoting dcann40 (Reply 39):
No, not really - in fact, we can be sure that AA looked at a lot of current and past offerings from different carriers to see what might work best now. At least I would presume that was done...

I'm scratching my head to see much difference.

mariner
aeternum nauta

vhtje

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 am

How does this impact tickets issued from a foreign carrier? If I book a US domestic sector on AA through BA, I currently never have to pay baggage fees or buy food. Although, to be fair, I have never been certain if that was due to the foreign-issued ticket or having oneworld status.

Will this change with this new regime?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

delimit

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 am

Quoting WROORD (Reply 33):

Roller in the overhead. Business travelers do it all the time.

iaddca

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:41 am

Really like the no change fee for $34 one way, makes AA a lot more appealing for my LAX and ORD trips.

usa330300

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 1):

How insulting. AA FAs work their behinds off, even with the possibility of liquidation, a merger, layoffs, and you have the audacity to make such a comment. As in any industry, I am certain there are bad apples, but your generalized statement is uncalled for. Your statement is just so telling of your maturity, or lack thereof.

dcann40

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Quoting vhtje (Reply 41):
How does this impact tickets issued from a foreign carrier? If I book a US domestic sector on AA through BA, I currently never have to pay baggage fees or buy food. Although, to be fair, I have never been certain if that was due to the foreign-issued ticket or having oneworld status.

Will this change with this new regime?

I don't really think that it will have any impact - if I understand how the fares are being sold, they are only being sold (at this point) via aa.com. If it is a codeshare, the baggage rules from the overseas portion of the flight take precedence.

DLT123

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:13 pm

I was under the impression that passengers with tickets booked in Y, B, or H would still be eligible for complimentary same-day standby, which was recently discontinued for all other coach fares due to high loads during the holiday season. Any passenger can standby for a later flight, as happens every day when people show up after the cutoff time for check-in.

I have to wonder how many passengers would still try to book Y, B or H fares given what they can get with the new offerings.

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Quoting DLT123 (Reply 46):
I have to wonder how many passengers would still try to book Y, B or H fares given what they can get with the new offerings.

A lot of times, the accounting is easier for a refund versus a change. I still might buy a refundable ticket in limited circumstances with the new offering, but this will no doubt reduce the number of Y/B/H tickets bought (while also reducing the number of "as cheap as possible" tickets bought).

RamblinMan

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Quoting usa330300 (Reply 44):
How insulting. AA FAs work their behinds off, even with the possibility of liquidation, a merger, layoffs, and you have the audacity to make such a comment. As in any industry, I am certain there are bad apples, but your generalized statement is uncalled for. Your statement is just so telling of your maturity, or lack thereof.

After observing an AA FA literally screaming at a slow-moving elderly passenger to "get your ass in that seat NOW" as he struggled to get into his row after the seatbelt light was activated, a pitiful look of embarrassment on the poor man's face as the FA stood there shouting insults and of course never bothering to see if there was a way she could assist him...I find your apologist attitude amusing at best, and perhaps downright insulting. You think such comments are uncalled for? Well then you simply don't fly much or else you have your thumbs in your ears.

wrldtvlr

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):

I received an email from my AA sales rep this morning announcing the new fare structure and how travel agents can book the fares in all GDS systems. I'm on Sabre and can easily price and ticket the fares as of today. I think corporate customers are going to see the benefits of paying an extra $68 to include free baggage and no change fees on certain itineraries.

ckfred

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:47 pm

If you're an elite (AAdvantage Gold or higher), how many times do you check 3 bags? If you book a trip with the family, every person in the travel party gets 2 free checked bags, assuming they are all on the same reservation, traveling together.

Sometimes, you have to wonder how much it's worth getting into Group 1. I was once on a flight between ORD and DFW. By the time they called for Priority Access (that's AAdvantage Gold and non-elites on full fare), there were only about 10 people left in the gate.

skycub

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 48):

After observing an AA FA literally screaming at a slow-moving elderly passenger to "get your ass in that seat NOW" as he struggled to get into his row after the seatbelt light was activated, a pitiful look of embarrassment on the poor man's face as the FA stood there shouting insults and of course never bothering to see if there was a way she could assist him...I find your apologist attitude amusing at best, and perhaps downright insulting. You think such comments are uncalled for? Well then you simply don't fly much or else you have your thumbs in your ears.

So you observed ONE AA FA behaving in that manner...

I think that's pretty sure why usa330300 included the phrase:

Quoting usa330300 (Reply 44):
I am certain there are bad apples

He never implied that all AA flight attendants are saints so I am not sure I understand the need for your reply where you cite ONE incident of bad behavior by an AA flight attendant. Or, did I miss something and EVERY AA FA you have ever encountered have behaved this way?
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

YYZbound

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 48):
After observing an AA FA literally screaming at a slow-moving elderly passenger to "get your ass in that seat NOW" as he struggled to get into his row after the seatbelt light was activated, a pitiful look of embarrassment on the poor man's face as the FA stood there shouting insults and of course never bothering to see if there was a way she could assist him

And...did you write or email AA to tell them of the inappropriateness of the F/A on that flight?

Been with AA for many years as an F/A myself...and I know of NO crewmember that would get away with using the word 'ass' with a passenger without being seriously disciplined or terminated

dcann40

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting YYZBound (Reply 52):
Been with AA for many years as an F/A myself...and I know of NO crewmember that would get away with using the word 'ass' with a passenger without being seriously disciplined or terminated

I fly AA a lot and I have never seen or heard a FA use language like that to a passenger. In general, I have found that the FAs' comportment is pretty good, esp. compared to other U.S. carriers.

YYZbound

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Quoting dcann40 (Reply 53):
I fly AA a lot and I have never seen or heard a FA use language like that to a passenger. In general, I have found that the FAs' comportment is pretty good, esp. compared to other U.S. carriers.

Thank you!

Furthermore, if I or any of my co-workers saw a fellow crewmember using that language, we would pull them aside and have some words of diplomacy I assure you. And they would do the same for me.