MountainFlyer
Topic Author

WN To Add New Fees

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm

To be sure, first and second bags will still be free, but third bags and overweight fees will be going up, in addition to a new "no-show" fee and jacking up fees for FL.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...westair-fees-idUSBRE8BD0SY20121214

Quote:
The company told investors on Friday that it will raise fees on third bags and overweight baggage, increase fees for flights on AirTran, the carrier it bought last year, and roll out new fees tied to the sale of open and premium boarding positions at airport gates. The company also said it would implement a no-show fee for restricted tickets that are not canceled by passengers prior to departure.
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

FWAERJ

RE: WN To Add New Fees

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:42 pm

Quoting MountainFlyer (Thread starter):
in addition to a new "no-show" fee

WN doesn't charge change fees, even with the other changes, so I see this as taking advantage of customers that don't know about or want to use WN's no-change-fee policy.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

stlgph

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 pm

In addition, Bloomberg is reporting 300 jobs will be cut through attrition in 2013.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

slider

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:02 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again: WN has a revenue problem and they over-committed with the "bags fly free" deal long ago (only because they didn't ahve the means to collect said revenue).

Now they've got to find a way to backtrack and ameliorate that position, whilst looking like they're still not nickel and diming like the other majors.

So this is a testing-the-waters move as well, to see what can be absorbed without too much protestation. They'll incrementally start to layer on fees to help make up for the MAJOR bucks they have decided to leave on the table.

stlgph

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Fee details -

AirTran first bag fee up from $20 to $25
AirTran second bag fee up $25 to $35

Southwest earlybird fee up from $10 to $12.50
Southwest overweight bag fee up from $50 to $100

Southwest reducing overhead by $100m in 2013
Southwest fleet won't grow before hitting ROIC goal
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

MountainFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 1):
WN doesn't charge change fees, even with the other changes, so I see this as taking advantage of customers that don't know about or want to use WN's no-change-fee policy.

I guess I don't see it quite that way. I see it as encouraging people who aren't going to fly to take advantage of the no-change fee to open up the space for potential last minute passengers for more potential revenue, but then again, I guess it's just another creative way to get money out of people without going down the pay-for-bags road. At least they can say these fees will affect a small minority of passengers vs. the legacies, whose fees affect virtually every passenger.
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

MountainFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 4):

Might as well enjoy it while they are still a separate brand!   

GentFromAlaska

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:51 pm

In the no fee vs. fee arena WN needs to decide if they want to be WN or FL and move forward from their. Both brands fly under a single certificate at least in the eyes of the feds.

This undoubtedly has/will become confusing to the flying public and may end up being a public relations quagmire. I'm pondering if it might benefit WN to spin off the FL as a ULCC; keeping WN as a LCC.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

SXDFC

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 2):
In addition, Bloomberg is reporting 300 jobs will be cut through attrition in 2013.

Can you post the link to that please...

[Edited 2012-12-14 09:23:05]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

737tanker

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 3):
(only because they didn't ahve the means to collect said revenue).

If WN doesn't have the means to collect fees on the 1st and 2nd bag then how do they have the means to collect fees on overweight bags, pets, unaccompanied minors, and any number of bags over two?

plateman

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 8):
Can you post the link to that please...

Yes, please post the link. I just read the Bloomberg story (both public and on terminal) and it makes no mention of any job cuts at all.
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

enilria

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Fee details -

It's pretty interesting that they are raising bag fees at FL while saying they add no value to WN branded flights.

flyingcat

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 11):
It's pretty interesting that they are raising bag fees at FL while saying they add no value to WN branded flights.

More evidence they are intrigued by the whole concept of charging for bags otherwise why be so gung ho about it on Airtran.

Once they have a taste they will want to grow ancillary revenue.

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Fee details -

This right here is the reason I think WN wants bag fees. I hear the arguments that no bag fees has attracted business but I am not convinced that it's outweighing the bag fees.

Of course, if/when they do start charging, that will cause a lot of dismay, but what are people supposed to do? Just about everyone else charges for them
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

PHLBOS

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 13):

Fee details -

This right here is the reason I think WN wants bag fees. I hear the arguments that no bag fees has attracted business but I am not convinced that it's outweighing the bag fees.

Of course, if/when they do start charging, that will cause a lot of dismay, but what are people supposed to do? Just about everyone else charges for them

B6 still allows for one free checked bag. That said, I can possibly see WN start charging for the 2nd bag once the FL brand disappears for good as part of a consolidation compromise of sorts.

However, I don't see WN charging for the 1st checked bag until B6 does so. It'll be a game of Chicken of sorts between those 2 carriers.

I find it very interesting that everytime fees (baggage fees in particular) get discussed, everybody (supposedly on the side of 'shareholders') slams WN on the subject but completely ignores B6.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Josh32121

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 pm

It's probably attracted the business of cheap people on excursion fares with heavy bags--not profitable business flyers who don't usually check bags anyway.

PDX88

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Southwest earlybird fee up from $10 to $12.50
Southwest overweight bag fee up from $50 to $100

You know what the new fees are for 3rd+ bags?

enilria

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Quoting flyingcaT (Reply 12):
More evidence they are intrigued by the whole concept of charging for bags otherwise why be so gung ho about it on Airtran.
This right here is the reason I think WN wants bag fees.

I think they definitely do. The only issue probably is that the WN system can't charge bag fees effectively. They can only use the old style MCO type system where the agent can easily override it. Presently, they can't inhibit a boarding pass issuance or deny boarding automatically without bag payment. It's all essentially honor system on the part of the agents.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 14):
That said, I can possibly see WN start charging for the 2nd bag once the FL brand disappears for good as part of a consolidation compromise of sorts.

They need to do that to make the code share work. If there is a code share and the fees are this different, it's a huge mess and it's getting worse.

However, I don't see WN charging for the 1st checked bag until B6 does so. It'll be a game of Chicken of sorts between those 2 carriers.

They hardly overlap with B6. Irrelevant.

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 18):
I think they definitely do. The only issue probably is that the WN system can't charge bag fees effectively. They can only use the old style MCO type system where the agent can easily override it. Presently, they can't inhibit a boarding pass issuance or deny boarding automatically without bag payment. It's all essentially honor system on the part of the agents.

I hear this all the time and I can't wrap my head around it... why can't they just hire some programmers to fix this?! (besides the obvious answer of they don't want to charge for bags so they don't need to.) But as far as them using said excuse to not being able to charge for bags, I don't buy it, at all.

skycub

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Quoting 737tanker (Reply 9):
If WN doesn't have the means to collect fees on the 1st and 2nd bag then how do they have the means to collect fees on overweight bags, pets, unaccompanied minors, and any number of bags over two?

I have posted that same argument multiple times on here and never once has anyone had an explanation for it.

The anti-WN people are quick to say that the only reason WN is not charging fees is because they don't have the technology to to it... yet they can charge for extra bags, UMS, etc....Not sure what technology is needed to charge for the first and second bag that isn't already being used to add for the third and fourth.

I hear ya, 737tanker!
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

AWACSooner

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:54 pm

So what's the no-show fee entail? Personally, I have no problem with it...if you're dumb enough to not canx it beforehand, then that's the risk you take.

chrisair

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 21):
So what's the no-show fee entail?

I don't think it's been announced, but I imagine it'd be a $50/$75 "fee" to reuse the funds--similar to how they charge you to reissue expired ticketless travel funds.

I think it's a good idea. Just don't start charging me change fees.

PHLBOS

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 18):

I wouldn't go that far. While they may not overlap too much in terms of non-stop routes at many airports; they can (& do) compete on routes involving connections. WN isn't going to hand over a bag fee advantage over to B6; especially since they now serve many of the same airports now regardless of route overlapping or lack thereof.

Personal take: the only reason why B6 hasn't charged for the first bag yet was very likely due to the fact that WN started invading their home turf (BOS & NYC). They're not going to give WN an additional upper hand advantage.

I'm almost willing to bet money that had WN already been in ATL years before its merger w/FL; FL would've likely never considered charging a fee for the 1st checked bag.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

IrishAyes

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 7):
In the no fee vs. fee arena WN needs to decide if they want to be WN or FL and move forward from their. Both brands fly under a single certificate at least in the eyes of the feds.

Trust me. Once WN and FL move to a single IT platform (Amadeus) they will implement bag fees stat. Whether 1st or 2nd, I'm not sure, but it's either that or find another way to curb costs, i.e. layoffs, which would have a much more resounding, undesirable effect from a PR perspective.

Quoting enilria (Reply 17):

confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

OzarkD9S

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 23):

Trust me. Once WN and FL move to a single IT platform (Amadeus) they will implement bag fees stat. Whether 1st or 2nd, I'm not sure, but it's either that or find another way to curb costs, i.e. layoffs, which would have a much more resounding, undesirable effect from a PR perspective.

I see the first bag free, they can still advertise: Your Bag (singular) Flies Free! and commence with the 2nd bag charges...

And though they may be loathe to do so, a proper business class section on aircraft may be forthcoming down the road as well. They've certainly had time to see the numbers at FL and as they move to longer route segments this may become a necessity. Hell, even NK has "The Big Front Seat" option.
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

ouboy79

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 pm

It is quite obvious WN will be WN and the brand will not change from much of what we have today. More and more FL cities are converted to WN and FL is being phased out.

Quoting 737tanker (Reply 9):

It shows that the uninformed continued to make things up to make themselves sound important or knowledgeable when they really don't know.

They need to do that to make the code share work. If there is a code share and the fees are this different, it's a huge mess and it's getting worse.

All I can say is wait and this will be addressed.

hohd

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 pm

I see WN charging for 2nd bag in the future for all except refundable fares and A-list members. I doubt they will charge for the first bag ever, unless they have huge losses. They should also look at charging for last minute reward travel changes. Right now you can cancel your seat within an hour of the flight departure and no penalty. The carrier gets no revenue on that seat.

airliner371

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 26):
They should also look at charging for last minute reward travel changes.

I think the new "no-show" fee will address that but we will see tomorrow.

ouboy79

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 23):

Work rules are the main thing to get costs under control, and WN is still below the other "big guys" in terms of CASM.

People really need to just wait until 13Q1 before they start making stupid remarks about what WN will do with bag fees.

INFINITI329

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 pm

This undoubtedly has/will become confusing to the flying public and may end up being a public relations quagmire. I'm pondering if it might benefit WN to spin off the FL as a ULCC; keeping WN as a LCC.

This ship as sailed a longgggg time ago, and WN will not want their name associated with an ULCC

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):
I hear this all the time and I can't wrap my head around it... why can't they just hire some programmers to fix this?! (besides the obvious answer of they don't want to charge for bags so they don't need to.) But as far as them using said excuse to not being able to charge for bags, I don't buy it, at all.

First off is we wanted to charge bags we could do it in under week.. all is needed is new HTML code... we have a vast TECH department that creates our own programs so 2 say we cant change CS2 to charge is ludacris is highly capable of handling monetary transactions it does it every single day...

Once the new code share I am convinced they will be single bag policy... all other policies have been changed aligned to one single policy for both carriers. The way the code share is to be designed you will be able buy your tix on FL/WN and be able check in at either counter so a single bag policy would be required. Saying that I see WN going to a 1st bag flies free and a charge for any 2nd+ bags. I this something i completely agree with

MaverickM11

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm

I hear the arguments that no bag fees has attracted business but I am not convinced that it's outweighing the bag fees.

The math never made sense--one bag fee that is virtually 100% non-taxed profit, or an additional passenger "shifted" at the average fare of around $100 and profit margin around 5%. You'd have to "shift" roughly speaking 5 passengers to equal 1 $25 bag fee--slightly less if you want to claim a credit for the PR value.
E pur si muove -Galileo

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 29):
First off is we wanted to charge bags we could do it in under week.. all is needed is new HTML code... we have a vast TECH department that creates our own programs so 2 say we cant change CS2 to charge is ludacris is highly capable of handling monetary transactions it does it every single day...

I agree, which is why I don't understand the many people claiming that WN's system is incapable of bag fees so that's why they don't do them...

ouboy79

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 31):
I agree, which is why I don't understand the many people claiming that WN's system is incapable of bag fees so that's why they don't do them...

When people aren't directly involved or educated on what is going on, they can only speculate.

canyonblue17

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 30):
The math never made sense--one bag fee that is virtually 100% non-taxed profit, or an additional passenger "shifted" at the average fare of around $100 and profit margin around 5%. You'd have to "shift" roughly speaking 5 passengers to equal 1 $25 bag fee--slightly less if you want to claim a credit for the PR value.

My only argument in favor of this is that since the other airlines have instituted bag fees, roughly the last five years, Southwest's load factor has jumped from about 65 to 80 percent. I understand there are other factors, but if this is any indication of how many more customers the airline has attracted with it's "no bag fee" push, then it seems to have worked pretty well.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

mayor

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 pm

I find it very interesting that everytime fees (baggage fees in particular) get discussed, everybody (supposedly on the side of 'shareholders') slams WN on the subject but completely ignores B6.

Probably because B6 doesn't shove the fact in your face.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 32):
When people aren't directly involved or educated on what is going on, they can only speculate.

Yes, but that still doesn't change the fact that a huge, multi-billion dollar company's business decisions are at the mercy of a unmodifiable computer system and simple changes by some computer programmers can't fix it is pretty ridiculous

mayor

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 29):

Then why have they been unable to do the codeshare with FL that was talked about? THAT should be a very easy programming change.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

B757Forever

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:26 am

Quoting canyonblue17 (Reply 33):
Southwest's load factor has jumped from about 65 to 80 percent

An so has everyone elses, even the "mean" airlines that charge bag fees.  
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

RamblinMan

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:31 am

Quoting canyonblue17 (Reply 33):
but if this is any indication of how many more customers the airline has attracted with it's "no bag fee" push, then it seems to have worked pretty well.

The problem being that the type of pax they are likely to attract with this sort of thing are not the type of pax that they make any money on.

Now the turn times are a different story. I've been on too damn many fully-loaded DL flights that were late out of the gate because it took half an hour to deal with all the stupid rollaboards that everybody insists on carrying. So all in all I still think having the first bag free is a good thing but what the hell do I know

DeltaMD90

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:31 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 36):
Then why have they been unable to do the codeshare with FL that was talked about? THAT should be a very easy programming change.

I forgot about that, same alley as what I was talking about... Sure, it might take a few million dollars and a few weeks, but it can easily be done. That excuse is pretty weak.

Then again, is this what WN said or was this excuse just thrown around here?

mayor

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:48 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 39):
Then again, is this what WN said or was this excuse just thrown around here?

I'm not even saying that this is something WN said, BUT, if they want to do the codeshare, why don't they? Seems like it might be a programming problem and a rather simple one to fix.

AirCalSNA

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:10 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 1):

I really don't get your logic. Isn't the no-change fee automatic, whether you know about it or want to use it? If so, then the no-show fee actually smartly closes a loophole as to people who "took advantage" of the no-change-fee policy by not bothering to tell the airline if they weren't going to be flying.

atrude777

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:41 am

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 41):

I really don't get your logic. Isn't the no-change fee automatic, whether you know about it or want to use it? If so, then the no-show fee actually smartly closes a loophole as to people who "took advantage" of the no-change-fee policy by not bothering to tell the airline if they weren't going to be flying.

Well....are you referring to a Cancellation Fee which is what it sounds like WN will implment IF the passenger does not cancel the itinerary in advance of the flight departure?

What it is now--

No Change Fee=You may change your ticket at anytime up to one hour prior to departure and you will not pay any fees in regarding to changing a ticket
Fare Difference Applies=While you do not pay a fee to change the ticket, if applicable you will be asked to pay the difference in fare, sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's hundreds of dollars.
No Cancellation Fee=If you make the effort to cancel the ticket, you will not be charged a cancellation fee,and the fund is automatically deposited in a form of a voucher which is used by the ticket's confirmation number. This may be used up to one year from the ticketed date and ONLY for the passenger whose name is on the actual ticket.
No Shows=If you do not cancel the flight, your ticket is cancelled as well as the return and you do NOT get credit towards a future flight, you lose the rights to any and all remaining funds, this does not mean this will happen as some paxs do get full credit but you run the risk of having it forfeited.

What it is going to be--

No Change Fee=You may change your ticket at anytime up to one hour prior to departure and you will not pay any fees in regarding to changing a ticket
Fare Difference Applies=While you do not pay a fee to change the ticket, if applicable you will be asked to pay the difference in fare, sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's hundreds of dollars.
No Cancellation Fee=If you make the effort to cancel the ticket, you will not be charged a cancellation fee,and the fund is automatically deposited in a form of a voucher which is used by the ticket's confirmation number. This may be used up to one year from the ticketed date and ONLY for the passenger whose name is on the actual ticket.
No Shows=If you do not cancel the flight, your ticket is cancelled as well as the return and you do NOT get credit towards a future flight, you lose the rights to any and all remaining funds.

No one else mentioned this but I saw this in another article...

' Merger integration with AirTran
Southwest also gave more details on its timeline for integrating its operations with subsidiary AirTran, which it acquired in 2011.

The Wall Street Journal writes Southwest "plans to start code-sharing, or cross-selling seats, with the AirTran business for the first time early next year … ."

Southwest will start by linking only a few of the carriers' flights in January, gradually adding more flight options through the winter and spring. The complete codesharing of the entire combined Southwest and AirTran networks should come by April – "presuming everything goes well," CEO Kelly is quoted as saying by the Morning News.'

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...add-a-no-show-fee-in-2013/1770127/

The source also mentions more details tomorrow (Saturday)

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 16):

You know what the new fees are for 3rd+ bags?

WN has not released that information yet, the bag fees for 3+ and fees at the gate have not reached a specific amount, only the new air tran bag fees and priority boarding stuff.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

SKC

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:48 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 36):

You're comparing the tech differences in being able to charge for a bag vs being able to merge two entirely different airline networks? Are you being serious or joking?

I completely agree that there have been big time technological hold-ups in the code-share process, but to suggest that it should be an easy adaptation is pretty laughable.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mayor

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:06 am

Quoting SKC (Reply 43):
You're comparing the tech differences in being able to charge for a bag vs being able to merge two entirely different airline networks? Are you being serious or joking?

They don't have to merge the networks, in the computer.........if their computer and tech department is so top notch, they should be able to merge FL into WN's computer network, as codeshares. It happens all the time. How long did it take DL with NW? As I remember, in SLC during the DL/WA merger, it was less than a month and we even had Western in our weight and balance program.

AirCalSNA

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:34 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 42):
Well....are you referring to a Cancellation Fee which is what it sounds like WN will implment IF the passenger does not cancel the itinerary in advance of the flight departure?

What it is now--

No Shows=If you do not cancel the flight, your ticket is cancelled as well as the return and you do NOT get credit towards a future flight, you lose the rights to any and all remaining funds, this does not mean this will happen as some paxs do get full credit but you run the risk of having it forfeited.

What it is going to be--

No Shows=If you do not cancel the flight, your ticket is cancelled as well as the return and you do NOT get credit towards a future flight, you lose the rights to any and all remaining funds.

So the only change is that the risk of forfeiture is rising to 100%? Makes sense.

atrude777

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:45 am

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 45):

So the only change is that the risk of forfeiture is rising to 100%? Makes sense.

I typed all that and left out the key note that was the point of the whole post...

In addition to that...you will have to pay a fee (amount undecided by SWA at this time) for NOT cancelling the flight ahead of time if your ticket had a restriction to it, mostly the WGA Fares (Wanna Get Away).

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

lightsaber
Crew

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:00 am

I find it amusing how adamant people are about bag fees on a.net. Oh, I highly dislike them. Its one reason I fly B6.  

Agreed. The 'last one standing' will have a high marketing value diluted by free bags for elite.

Ironically, a large number of WN and B6 passengers still fly without bags (to save time).

From a route map? Maybe. For marketing... very relevant.

Quoting chrisair (Reply 21):
I don't think it's been announced, but I imagine it'd be a $50/$75 "fee" to reuse the funds--similar to how they charge you to reissue expired ticketless travel funds.

I think it's a good idea. Just don't start charging me change fees.

I think that is an overdue fee. There is a cost to not having a passenger show.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

ouboy79

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 pm

WN has not released that information yet, the bag fees for 3+ and fees at the gate have not reached a specific amount, only the new air tran bag fees and priority boarding stuff.

The amounts aren't that bad compared to what we have now. I'll wait for it to be on the blog before commenting further though.

It can also be much lower than the air fare paid. There are many that take advantage of sales to get their air fare lowered and enjoy the RTF credit for a future flight.

Currently this is false. If people miss their flight, the funds are automatically put in an RTF with no penalty.

Southwest will start by linking only a few of the carriers' flights in January, gradually adding more flight options through the winter and spring. The complete codesharing of the entire combined Southwest and AirTran networks should come by April – "presuming everything goes well," CEO Kelly is quoted as saying by the Morning News.'

Code-sharing is such a strong word...anyway. Q1 2013 has always been the target to get this process moving. For that to be the case, everything will have to already be in place for and folks trained. It'll be interesting to see the reactions when the details are announced.  

[Edited 2012-12-15 07:44:10]

atrude777

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 48):

Currently this is false. If people miss their flight, the funds are automatically put in an RTF with no penalty.

Oh wow, that has changed since I worked there then, interesting to know!

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 48):

Code-sharing is such a strong word...anyway. Q1 2013 has always been the target to get this process moving. For that to be the case, everything will have to already be in place for and folks trained. It'll be interesting to see the reactions when the details are announced.

Just quoting the article! Hahaha

Alex

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos