jayeshrulz
Topic Author

Germanwings New Livery. Much Like Lufthansa

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:49 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rainer Bexten

Does anyone else think this is boring compared to old Germanwings Livery?

I know its a part of LH group, but dont you think it was unnecessary to make it obvious? The grey is really boring!

Old Livery
View Large View Medium

Photo © Joao Brito

Keep flying, because the sky is no limit!

Independence76

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 am

I do agree that the livery is rather boring, but it's not as bad as some other liveries of the past 3 years.

I personally don't see any reason why they should have changed it at all.

twa@fra

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 am

assume it was needed to get less LLC and more boring = more towards an image of an "normal" carrier

steman

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 am

I guess they wanted to point out that this is the "new Germanwings" , which is taking over basically all of LH operations outside of its FRA and MUC hubs.
Therefore they needed a refreshed livery that clearly states "this is still LH".
Check out the wings and horizontal tail surfaces. They are white painted just like LH.
And the fuselage paint is basically the same as well.
I don´t think Germanwings can be considered a low cost airlines
I would say it is the evolution of the european network carrier which differentiates its
product from the long haul carriers in offering more flexibility in terms of fare structures,
lower operating costs, etc.
It´s much alike what other major European airlines have done in the past.

It´s how Lufthansa plans to bring back in shape its domestic and european sector.

Ciao
Stefano

RussianJet

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 am

Real shame. The old livery was much nicer. One of the very few around in our neck of the woods that wasn'taalmost all white.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Setjet

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:03 am

Very poor livery indeed...

The old one was not great as well (strange yellow and purple), although the silver had a higher end look than the "euro white plus grey belly".

Also the font is very poorly designed... if you want to call this design.

Seems like Lufthansa was in a mouse-trap here: Creating a new low cost image (therefore the new paint scheme), while taking parts of Lufthansa (grey belly, strange "Lufthansa Group" sign next to the front door), kicking out the nice silver color (old Germanwings), while keeping the strange yellow and purple, and keeping the old name "Germanwings" instead of creating a new name altogether.

"Lufthansa Express" some years ago seemed more logical to me.

ushermittwoch

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:19 am

I don't really think it's too bad. Minus the engines. That hue just does not gel with the rest of the livery.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Burkhard

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:16 am

To me this looks like the new livery of Austrian...

okay

RE: Germanwings New Livery. Much Like Lufthansa

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:37 am

Boring. When I first saw the thumbnail picture I thought it was TAP aircraft due to the tail!

okAY

columba

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:49 am

Quoting jayeshrulz (Thread starter):
I know its a part of LH group, but dont you think it was unnecessary to make it obvious?

It was indeed necessary as Germanwings will take over all flights that are not from FRA and MUC. They need to make passengers aware that they are still on a Lufthansa flight.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

dazeflight

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm

The business background for the livery change has been dicussed here: Germanwings To Offer Business Class

Quoting Setjet (Reply 5):

This the special LH-version of Helvetica, that is used by the airline since years. There's a reason Helvetica is a classic and it's surely not that it's "poorly designed".

Bongodog1964

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:45 pm

On a wet grey Northern Germany winters day the new livery should look a lot brighter than the old one, At Cologne last weekend the planes nearly merged into the background.

Will they be making other alterations to the image ? As the browny/purply band is going will they be scrapping the cabin crews similarly coloured "frumpsuits" at the same time ?

macc

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:56 pm

what I dont get is what the tail design should transmit. Why in the world red white red with that strange transparent orange stripes??

how is that connected to the name germanwings?? pretty bad and senseless artwork if you ask me.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

OlafW

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Quoting macc (Reply 12):
what I dont get is what the tail design should transmit. Why in the world red white red with that strange transparent orange stripes??

how is that connected to the name germanwings?? pretty bad and senseless artwork if you ask me.

If I only could remember where, but I read that the tail design is meant to represent the connection between Lufthansa (yellow) and Germanwings (purple). True, the purple stands out much more against the white background than the yellow does, but with that explanation it makes sense, even if it's not too obvious.

SKAirbus

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:21 pm

So on key domestic routes outside the hubs like MUC - BER or FRA - HAM will only LH operated them or will there be a mix of them and Germanwings?
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

ushermittwoch

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 14):
So on key domestic routes outside the hubs like MUC - BER or FRA - HAM will only LH operated them or will there be a mix of them and Germanwings?

Nope. These are "hub routes" since they include FRA and MUC. Thus they will be mainline LH flights. DUS-TXL/BER will be operated by 4U though.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

pugman211

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Could the fact that Germanwings is inheriting some LH frames be the reason for the new livery???

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-nearly-30-lufthansa-a320s-379923/

Setjet

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Quoting dazeflight (Reply 10):
This the special LH-version of Helvetica, that is used by the airline since years. There's a reason Helvetica is a classic and it's surely not that it's "poorly designed".

Well, not really: Lufthansa is using "DLH Helvetica", a specifically designed derrivative of Helvetica, however somewhat bolder than standard Helvetica.

Seems that Germanwings is using "standard Helvetica". Somewhat appropriate for a low cost airline ("take what you can get for free, like a standard font, or white airplanes with grey bellies...), still not something that can be called "design". For Germanwings Lufthansa now dumbed their over decades carefully defined brand management and CI guidelines...

P.s.: Lowerfont names ("germanwings") are already outdated... same as smallprint like "Lufthansa Group", just remember the infamous "Thomas Cook - powered by Condor". Glad though they did not choose "www.germanwings.com" or "germanwings.com" as official name...

BlueSky1976

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:46 pm

I will miss that silver paint for sure.
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.

teusje

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:03 pm

I guess it was to expected that the colors wouldn't improve when LH took over.
But to be honest I think it's not too horrible. Having said that I do think it's about time the EuroWhite "designers" retired.
It's getting a little old.
319 320 321 333 343 388 732 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 773 BN2A C172 C180 DC93 F28

laca773

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Quoting jayeshrulz (Thread starter):

Does anyone else think this is boring compared to old Germanwings Livery?

I know its a part of LH group, but dont you think it was unnecessary to make it obvious? The grey is really boring!

Old Livery

Agreed. Though I prefer the current livery over this. Perhaps they will have some logo jets like German Wings has done in the past to break it up a bit.

reifel

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Maybe it's also easier with this livery to repaint all LH frames that go to 4U. They don't need to paint everything in Silver and can keep the "background". Could be a reason too.
I prefer the old one, but the new one is not bad in my opinion. The logo is nice, although I don't really get what it stands for.
If they want to show they're all still LH Group, why not take the same tail as LH but with another color, i.e. other way round (Blue crane on Yellow or Silver)...

Polot

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 21):
If they want to show they're all still LH Group, why not take the same tail as LH but with another color, i.e. other way round (Blue crane on Yellow or Silver)...

You mean drag out this little gem of a livery?  
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerhard Plomitzer
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerhard Plomitzer

BlueBus

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:30 pm

I would imagine they don't want the new "cheap" brand to hurt the higher-end LH brand. So, have some similarities, but keep the looks very different from one another.

aerokiwi

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:26 am

Quoting macc (Reply 12):
pretty bad and senseless artwork if you ask me.

Even worse, the tail logo doesn't match the group logo applied to the nose. There's not much to this livery but they still managed to muck it up.

jayeshrulz
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:47 am

Quoting dazeflight (Reply 10):
The business background for the livery change has been dicussed here: Germanwings To Offer Business Class

Quoting Setjet (Reply 5):

Ah, dint know that. So Germanwings is becoming a FSC?
Let me get this. A LCC offering a J class?

Which routes will these be operating out of anyway?
Keep flying, because the sky is no limit!

okay

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:22 am

To be honest, the whole result looks so "under construction", could it be that this livery is for transition time only, until they change the name to something else correlating better to its functionality as the European operator for LH?

okAY

Setjet

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Quoting okAY (Reply 26):

Highly unlikely: In October the LH board decided among other options to keep the current name Germanwings, however with a new corporate identity and image. I don't see this changed again anytime soon. Which is a pitty...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos