LAXintl
Topic Author

Alitalia On Verge Of Bankruptcy - Again

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Several financial stories out this weekend that Alitalia has yet again run into deep financial troubles.

Ahead of planned January 12 shareholder deadline there is talk the carrier which has accumulated €735mil in losses the last 4-years might need to be either renationalized, or find new investors. Current Alitalia shareholders have not been able to find the cash needed to recapitalize it.

The ongoing economic slump and high oil prices combined with relentless competition in Europe from LCCs and train service has seen the core Alitalia airline operation be loss making. The carrier 2012 loss has been running €150mil more than 2011.

One of the options being considered is asking Air France which has a 25% stake in Alitalia to acquire full control at a heavily discounted price while injecting capital to keep the company afloat.

Multiple stories:
http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/i...uble-again-report-says_255990.html
http://www.brecorder.com/world/europ...on-verge-of-bankruptcy-report.html
http://www.france24.com/en/20121221-alitalia-verge-bankruptcy-report

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: Alitalia On Verge Of Bankruptcy - Again

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:17 pm

As a person who foolishly allowed himself to be a paying passenger of Alitalia and subsequently experience and witness a shockingly poor standard of service rendered by Alitalia staff in June 2012 I am not surprised and struggle to drum up any sympathy whatsoever.

Never again.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Polot

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
One of the options being considered is asking Air France which has a 25% stake in Alitalia to acquire full control at a heavily discounted price while injecting capital to keep the company afloat.

What, exactly, is the benefit for AF/KLM?

art

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 pm

I hope Air France takes it over on condition that it has a free hand to make the changes necessary to make the business viable. If Berlusconi were to come back, I don't suppose that would be allowed. I think the imminence of an election paralyses everything for a few months.

jetblueguy22

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm not sure why AF would want to take over Alitalia. Even if they get it at a bargain price they have large losses. Not something to take on when AF is struggling to make money itself.
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

art

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 4):

I'm not sure why AF would want to take over Alitalia. Even if they get it at a bargain price they have large losses. Not something to take on when AF is struggling to make money itself.
Blue

No point in injecting capital to keep it afloat as it is - it will just sink again.

BMI727

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Alitalia On Verge Of Bankruptcy - Again  

And the winner of "Least Surprising News Item" goes to...

Quoting Polot (Reply 2):

Looking at one huge loss on a balance sheet is less depressing than two, maybe?
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

OA260

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Quoting SInGAPORE_AIR (Reply 1):
As a person who foolishly allowed himself to be a paying passenger of Alitalia and subsequently experience and witness a shockingly poor standard of service rendered by Alitalia staff in June 2012 I am not surprised and struggle to drum up any sympathy whatsoever.

Cant disagree there even though it would be a shame to the staff who would loose their jobs. Giving away nearly free tickets has not helped either.   Their IT leaves a lot to the imagination.

Aquila3

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:05 pm

I am not a fan of Alitalia at all, especially since we are paying its failures with our pockets.
II mean our ones, not somebody's else in EU.
Also I would think is normal that a Government would try to keep a strategic asset like a national airline alive whenever possible, of course. The fact that Government would not be the one that other, better, countries would choose for us, I am sorry to say, at the moment it works like this, we have not yet given up our sovereignty to them.
I will dare to say that a weak Italy is even useful for some of our EU "friends".

What surprised me is who got AZ last time.
Colaninno, for what I know, is far to be a friend of the then Prime Minister Berlusconi. He is openly involved in the opposite Left Party, now named PD. If PD wins the next February elections chance is that he will be our Minister for Industry (may God save us).

About assets, once you get rid of all the people you do not need (hope it does not happen) AZ has a quite modern fleet and has some interesting slots and rights, especially the lucrative LIN-FCO route and in MXP. The area around MXP is STILL one of the most productive in EU, with a population and a product comparable to some small rich European Nations. Rome , especially if you put Florence together, on the other hand, STILL has some double-digital percentage of the worlds cultural heritage and that means a lot of leisure traffic that can be pursued.
So whoever will get such assets, could get profit from them. Myself I doubt that AF ( the most probable taker) will, however.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

a36001

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Would it be better if Alitalia was actually wound up, and a new carrier started with absolutely no connection to the old airline? And I mean no previous management at any level, government or financial connection to the original airline.   Happy Christmas  

art

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 8):
Also I would think is normal that a Government would try to keep a strategic asset like a national airline alive whenever possible, of course.

I don't understand. What makes AZ a strategic asset? They provide a service to the economy that other airlines could provide with less risk of the service becoming unavailable due to financial problems preventing the airline from providing the service.

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 8):
About assets, once you get rid of all the people you do not need (hope it does not happen)

Why do you hope AZ keeps people it does not need? Makes it more likely for AZ to lose money and go bust, doesn't it?

Aquila3

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Quoting art (Reply 10):
I don't understand. What makes AZ a strategic asset? They provide a service to the economy that other airlines could provide with less risk of the service becoming unavailable due to financial problems preventing the airline from providing the service.

Yeah, tell this to our Hungarian friends.
I understand your thinking, but a *WORKING* national carrier is and asset for a Country, especially if your economy is in competition with others that have carriers that are not 100% private.

then:

Quoting art (Reply 10):
About assets, once you get rid of all the people you do not need (hope it does not happen)

Why do you hope AZ keeps people it does not need? Makes it more likely for AZ to lose money and go bust, doesn't it?

Come on! It's Christmas......

bill142

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 2):

Well they're already broke, so the benefit for AF/KLM would be to hemorrhage even more cash.

Quoting a36001 (Reply 9):

That's the best thing that could happen but it won't. The Italians need to take the same approach as the Hungarians took.

airbazar

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Quoting art (Reply 3):
I hope Air France takes it over on condition that it has a free hand to make the changes necessary to make the business viable.

I'm not sure AF is in a position to take over anything considering their own very precarious economic situation. If it wasn't for KLM bailing them out, AF would be even worse than they are.

Aquila3

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 12):
That's the best thing that could happen but it won't. The Italians need to take the same approach as the Hungarians took.

Are you sure that what happened to Malev was what Hungarians wanted? Or it just happened out of their control?
And I do not think that the result is so good to boast it around, for the business especially.

Coming back to AZ, again, I hate to support them (I come from the MXP area, so I have some reason), but I am trying to be realist. AZ , with his power and connections has burnt almost everything left of the Italian Aviation. Missing AZ we are almost left with FR and U2, worse than Hungary. Not saying that those LCC are bad (indeed I like U2 enough) , but this is a Country that needs a lot more, just have a cold look to the numbers.

Quoting a36001 (Reply 9):

Would it be better if Alitalia was actually wound up, and a new carrier started with absolutely no connection to the old airline? And I mean no previous management at any level, government or financial connection to the original airline.

Also on the practical side, to "fire" all the management (that for what I remember includes a lot of pilots), fire or furlough all the workers in excess, and start from scratch is very difficult in a country highly unionized, where the protection of the workers at the highest level is seen as matter of civilization. It would drive only in a huge stall, and bloody social conflicts. So, as much it looks undesirable or difficult, I believe the best way is still, again, to try to "fix" Alitalia.

[Edited 2012-12-23 15:47:57]

[Edited 2012-12-23 15:49:17]

flyyul

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:25 am

AZ has to develop FCO the way TK developed IST and KL developed AMS etc. In the domestic market - LCC's are eating up profit margins. There's no future in this business. LH/AF/BA are all immune to this - the domestic/short haul product has to be the cost of feeding a sustainable size of long-haul flights.

It always shocks me to see AZ hasn't fully developed long-haul links. There's no doubt that long-haul transfer traffic, and the Italian market is generally high leisure in characteristic. However that can easily be offset by having smaller premium cabins and higher density on its aircraft. (see KLM model)

AZ should be in markets like Shanghai, Hong Kong, Dubai, Delhi, Jo'burg, Montreal, San Francisco, Washington. If it doesn't pursue this type of strategy, they will be too sensitive to ULCCs, and the variety of other long-haul players eating market share away (i.e. TK/QR/EK etc).

FCO is in a very strategic geographic position - especially as a hub connecting middle east/africa/sub-continent from North America/Europe/South America.

Either AZ makes an effort to become a "global" player - or it's just another airline pursuing a long agonizing decline towards bankruptcy

Rafabozzolla

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:25 am

Politics aside. Italy could have one hell of an airline if business were put first and the entire Rome-hub nonsense was put aside.

A good hub at MXP would be well-located (both geographically and economically) and we're talking about a country of nearly 60M people. Come on, if business is sound, there's a room for a competitive Italian carrier, no comparison with tiny Hungary (all do respect).

flyyul

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:30 am

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 16):
A good hub at MXP would be well-located (both geographically and economically) and we're talking about a country of nearly 60M people. Come on, if business is sound, there's a room for a competitive Italian carrier, no comparison with tiny Hungary (all do respect).

This is precisely the problem with the Italian aviation market. Rome is the bigger market - but the majority of the high-yield pax are in MXP which is not such a big market in terms of traffic/volume. Look at the American/Asia majors having difficulty establishing MXP services.

BMI727

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 am

A good hub at MXP would be well-located (both geographically and economically) and we're talking about a country of nearly 60M people. Come on, if business is sound, there's a room for a competitive Italian carrier,

That's the case for AF/KL buying them. The trick is getting government interference out and cutting costs. If they can get ownership of the major airlines in France, Italy, and the Netherlands and rightsize (read slash dramatically) the whole thing, they could end up with a powerful European airline that can form a triumvirate with Lufthansa and IAG.

krisyyz

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 14):
Are you sure that what happened to Malev was what Hungarians wanted? Or it just happened out of their control?
And I do not think that the result is so good to boast it around, for the business especially.

Well just look back at the reaction of the Hungarian people after MA folded, the country basically went to into a state of national mourning. The EU's regulations on state funds being used to keep MA alive coupled with leasing companies, airports etc demanding their money was the last straw for MA. Their was a lot of politics involved as well, as I'm sure is the case in Italy. MA was on the road to recovery when they pulled the plug, it could have been saved.

The news stories on AZ don't sound very promising. I read very similar stories about MA a few months before their demise. But what are AZ's options for survival? Obviously but management and labour must take some major cuts, but could AZ survive if they stopped or severely downsized their long-haul ops?

KrisYYZ

C010T3

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:10 am

Politics aside. Italy could have one hell of an airline if business were put first and the entire Rome-hub nonsense was put aside.

MXP is not the solution and it will never be. FCO is not AZ's problem.

IndianicWorld

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:14 am

I hadn't been keeping up with AZ's performance in a while, but I had thought they had done a decent job tryint to turn things around a while back.

The fact that the AZ group of airlines seems to include just about every airline brand in the country, it certainly will be interesting to see what happens if things do end up badly. Will be a large void to fill.

miaintl

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:22 am

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 20):

If FCO is not AZ's problem than what is? FCO is poorly located to be a hub, and even though MXP does not have the traffic volume of FCO it can still be profitable by being a hub airport relying on connecting traffic to central and eastern Europe.

flyyul

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:49 am

Quoting miaintl (Reply 22):
If FCO is not AZ's problem than what is? FCO is poorly located to be a hub, and even though MXP does not have the traffic volume of FCO it can still be profitable by being a hub airport relying on connecting traffic to central and eastern Europe.

How can AZ be effective when the majority of pax destined for Italy want to arrive at FCO. By giving up FCO - it's giving up to the bulk of foreign carriers overflying MXP to land at FCO.

The problem remains that AZ's domestic/short-haul product is bleeding very heavily. AZ needs a larger long-haul fleet / product to compensate for this. It's a race to the bottom. If you're a legacy carrier either you try to compete with the global players - or get swallowed up. There's no reason why AZ is not in Jo'burg, Hong Kong, Shanghai, San Fran, Montreal, Mexico, Dubai. It needs to be in these markets as the good old days of profit on FCO-CTA, FCO-LIN are not around for long.

[Edited 2012-12-23 18:53:34]

miaintl

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:11 am

Quoting flyyul (Reply 23):

That's what the situation was back in the old AZ before 2008. Back then MXP got the connecting traffic and FCO got the O&D passengers and it worked well. AZ cannot expand to other long-haul destinations because its short/medium haul feed at FCO is very small. MXP is just the better airport to establish a Legacy carrier that relies on a hub and spoke system.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 am

AZ being based MXP will never work as long as Milan is split with two competing airports.

People don't want to trek out MXP, when you have LIN right in town.

With key European routes and domestic markets being flown primarily from Linate due to the demand, MXP is left with a much weaker feed network.

This was even brought up as a mayor reason for the last AZ restructuring. At MXP virtually the entire AZ long-haul network was loss making.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

C010T3

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:01 am

Quoting miaintl (Reply 22):

It's conjuctural! Haven't you observed how almost all European airlines are going through difficulties and some are even being very pro-active in dealing with it, like Iberia and Lufthansa.

IndianicWorld

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:04 am

In many ways, AZ is suffering having 2 important cities in their country who both deserve good service, but can not sustain a dual hub operation.

By ignoring one, you leave the other open for traffic to be lost, but covering both sufficiently would not be a viable option.

flyyul

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:13 am

Quoting miaintl (Reply 24):
That's what the situation was back in the old AZ before 2008. Back then MXP got the connecting traffic and FCO got the O&D passengers and it worked well. AZ cannot expand to other long-haul destinations because its short/medium haul feed at FCO is very small. MXP is just the better airport to establish a Legacy carrier that relies on a hub and spoke system.

Based on what exactly? The principal problem behind MIL is the fact all domestic/short haul pax go to LIN. MXP becomes a transit traffic only airport for AZ short haul network - which means flights are full in one direction given that the WBs don't sit on the ground for 6-10 hrs during the day & need multiple daily frequencies to feed long-haul banks.

AZ prior to 2008 made huge losses in MXP - bulk of which was the short/mid-haul again due to a lack of national local traffic at the airport.

At FCO - everything is integrated. AZ could build up long-haul services feeding into a single airport satisfying both transit and local boardings. FCO is also better for Italian traffic flowing southbound to Africa/Middle East and South America.

flyyul

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 27):
By ignoring one, you leave the other open for traffic to be lost, but covering both sufficiently would not be a viable option.

It is if each hub has a different focus. If MXP/FCO are fighting for same customers that's where the difficulty begins. At MIL all local short/mid haul pax go to Linate. There's no feed/local mix potential at MXP

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:42 am

Where is the money going to come from to save AZ again? After reading this thread, I am more of the opinion if something major doesn't change, they will just have to shut down.

Quoting krisyyz (Reply 19):
But what are AZ's options for survival? Obviously but management and labour must take some major cuts,

I ask that too. How could AZ become profitable? The changes required are greater than will be socially tolerated. That means a shutdown. Maybe not now, but after the next bankruptcy.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 6):
And the winner of "Least Surprising News Item" goes to...

Yep. Although I think that news on AR is even less shocking:
AR Hits Record Loss Of U$976M In 2012 (2,7M/day) (by Gonzalo Dec 21 2012 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 14):
I believe the best way is still, again, to try to "fix" Alitalia.

How? There must be a draconian solution if it is to work. There is so much opportunity as noted by:

Quoting flyyul (Reply 15):
AZ has to develop FCO the way TK developed IST and KL developed AMS etc. I

I'm going to agree with others that MXP ahs more chance, but only if LIN were to be closed. The first step to saving AZ is ironically closing LIN. Normally I'm pro airport growth, but:

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 25):
AZ being based MXP will never work as long as Milan is split with two competing airports.

Split hubs never work. There are too many more convenient alternatives today.

Quoting flyyul (Reply 28):
At FCO - everything is integrated. AZ could build up long-haul services feeding into a single airport satisfying both transit and local boardings. FCO is a

Only in that it is one location. A high premium O&D traffic is a far better start to a new hub.

Quoting flyyul (Reply 23):
AZ needs a larger long-haul fleet / product to compensate for this.

I would argue AZ needs to downgauge and introduce more frequency and destinations (787 or A350).

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

flyyul

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:55 am

Only in that it is one location. A high premium O&D traffic is a far better start to a new hub.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 30):

if MXP is so high-premiun - why have most US major reduced their scale in MXP. USAir would flies MXP-PHL/CLT iso of FCO. Emirates flies it's high premium A380 to FCO.

The Italian north is very fragmented. With airports in TRN, BLQ, VRN, PSA, FLR, MXP, LIN, BGY, GOA - there's only one major airports in the Central/South capital region in FCO.

AZ doesn't have a hope in Milan. If LIN closes, MXP still doesn't address the geographic circuitous of pax flying northbound to fly to South America from Italy.

BMI727

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:19 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 30):
Split hubs never work. There are too many more convenient alternatives today.

I think AF/KLM should bring Alitalia into the fold and scrap any idea of an international hub in Italy. Cut Alitalia down to a more or less local Italian airline and funnel more traffic via CDG and/or AMS. Obviously, you can't just keep connecting passengers away, but capacity should be dramatically cut and connecting capacity moved out of FCO or MXP.

Byrdluvs747

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 am

Where is AF or the Italian govt going to get the money to buy out AZ?

Quoting SInGAPORE_AIR (Reply 1):
witness a shockingly poor standard of service rendered by Alitalia staff in June 2012
Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
it would be a shame to the staff who would loose their jobs.

Why would it be a shame when the employees don't seem too concerned with providing proper customer service? I won't cry for Alitalia.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

Rafabozzolla

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:21 am

Quoting flyyul (Reply 17):
This is precisely the problem with the Italian aviation market. Rome is the bigger market - but the majority of the high-yield pax are in MXP which is not such a big market in terms of traffic/volume. Look at the American/Asia majors having difficulty establishing MXP services.

Well, I think it is similar to the situation at FRA (in a smaller scale, of course), how much local traffic does it generate? And LH is fine ignoring the leisure traffic in Berlin.

As for the dual airport situation, I agree, that IS a problem. Why didn't Italy close down LIN when MXP was redeveloped (a la Munich)? I think the Italian elite opted for convenience as opposed to a greater strategic planning.

asctty

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:45 am

Many people talk of the importance of keeping a national flag carrier afloat. Unfortunately, AZ is a more of a national embarrassment than a flag bearer. Many people are also concerned about the jobs involved, but AZ owes the money to someone else who's jobs are also at risk. This airline has been a basket case for years, and some of the posts here suggest that they are far behind other European airlines in terms of quality of service. There are other EU 'national' airlines in a similar position, e.g. Iberia, where they are no longer owned by their respective Governments, no longer make any money, yet still are run by management who operate as though they still were Government departments, i.e. over budget, over staffed, union dominated and therefore completely inefficient. The LCCs in Europe have a field day with these ailing airlines hence their long drawn out demise.

Hywel

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:25 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
Giving away nearly free tickets has not helped either.

Haha, I see that you took advantage too! I got LHR-FCO-OTP-LIN-LHR for 2 euros incl. all taxes. Plus a few other trips...

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:36 am

Quoting flyyul (Reply 31):
if MXP is so high-premiun - why have most US major reduced their scale in MXP.

Then perhaps Italy has no airport viable as a hub. I believe MXP would be with the inner airport closed (providing far better connecting traffic). Otherwise, Italy has no viable hub city. The premium traffic to FCO is low yield. Now airlines that do J for cheap, e.g., EK will expand.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 32):
Cut Alitalia down to a more or less local Italian airline and funnel more traffic via CDG and/or AMS.

AZ as a local Italian airline has no value. In that scenario it should just be shut down. It would be cheaper to just fly the passengers on AF/KL metal to the hubs. Intra-Italy traffic is going to the LCCs or trains and nothing is going to stop that.

Note: I think AZ will be 'saved,' but I also think the business case will be practically ignored. Heck, I just went to Alitalia's web site and after a few minutes I went 'screw it, I'll just use Orbitz.' I ended up having to search blogs to find their route map. My end conclusion is that AZ is weak where there is growth, so I don't know how to resurrect them.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 33):

Where is AF or the Italian govt going to get the money to buy out AZ?

China or Germany.   

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

bueb0g

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:45 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 33):
Why would it be a shame when the employees don't seem too concerned with providing proper customer service? I won't cry for Alitalia.

And this is based on what? Experiences with a few cabin crew or customer service agents? It's unfair to paint all the employees with the same brush, especially as many of the airline's employees will never have any contact with customers, so the fact that you seem to be implying that it is somehow just for them to lose their jobs is extremely callous.
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

IndianicWorld

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:59 am

Quoting bueb0g (Reply 38):
And this is based on what? Experiences with a few cabin crew or customer service agents? It's unfair to paint all the employees with the same brush, especially as many of the airline's employees will never have any contact with customers, so the fact that you seem to be implying that it is somehow just for them to lose their jobs is extremely callous.

Speaking from a point of view of an ideal world viewpoint, what you say is true, but in the case of any company, each experience often becomes their opinion on the entire organisation. Its hard to seperate out bits and pieces, moving blame and absolving others of any part in an event which someone has been inconvenienced or unprofessionally treated.

Some would say the ability for bad customer service to continue says a lot about an organisation's ability to manage itself.

The last time I flew AZ was 10 years ago and it was nothing special but it wasn't bad at all, however I have no idea how it is going these days from personal experience.

Overall though, AZ is suffering from a lack of structure in its own country, with so many variables going on which make it hard to really thrive. Politics is never far from anything in business in Italy it seems, which leaves AZ very little room to move.

Azure

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:08 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 18):
If they can get ownership of the major airlines in France, Italy, and the Netherlands and rightsize (read slash dramatically) the whole thing, they could end up with a powerful European airline that can form a triumvirate with Lufthansa and IAG.

Woohoo ! Wake up ! This triumvirate already exists and AF/KL is part of it. Passenger traffic : LH/LX/OS group : 90 M / AF/KL group : 75 M / IAG : 50 M. (Source : corporate websites of said groups)...

Quoting airbazar (Reply 13):
If it wasn't for KLM bailing them out, AF would be even worse than they are.

Don't you know better ? KL has grown in recent years through synergies with AF. The Group's financial strategy is to pass the losses in France and the profits in Holland for tax purposes, even if AF/KL, granted, is globally loss-making (after being a cash machine). Much more could be said on this matter but it would be off topic in this thread.

AF currently own 25% of AZ. According to the "fenice" (Phoenix) agreement signed in 2008, AF have the possibility to acquire 100% of AZ between Jan.13 and Oct. 28, 2013 through an exchange of shares with the other AZ shareholders (Benetton, Riva, Banca Intesa,...). The main problem for AF/KL lies in the weakness of their share value at the Paris stock Exchange right now. The group is worth just over one billion euros (the value of 2 A380s...). An exchange of shares would result in giving an exorbitant weight to the Italian companies into the capital of Air France-KLM...

Therefore my guess is that AF/KL will try to gain time in order to buy AZ at a very low price. AF made it clear they would seek profitability in AZ by cutting jobs and by re-sizing the airline. They will keep a small hub at FCO (with only the most profitable intercontinental routes) and use LIN to feed their own hubs of CDG and AMS.

Sad to see such a situation that could have been avoided 5 years ago when AF offered 1,5 billion euros for AZ... But Berlusconi wanted to keep Alitalia italian and this resulted in a loss of time and probably in more inconveniences for both AZ employees and the italian citizens themselves... Should Berlusconi be back next year, I would be more than worried for the future of AZ... They have already merged with Air One, they cannot survive alone, and the prospects of political interference would afraid all reasonable investors...

PanHAM

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:17 am

Not reading all this, the day when any carrier, regardless from which country, should buy a part or the whole of AZ, should be the day when Italian unions as well as politicians become reasonable and responsible social partners.

The funny thing is, that day can exactly be pin-pointed, it'll be the day when pigs can fly.

Till then, the old rule applies : Wanna buy AZ? Betta keepa u hands off.