QF175
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread # 67

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 am

G'day and welcome to the Australian Aviation Thread # 67. In the previous thread, the following points were discussed/raised:

* Air NZ confirms a second season of Sunshine Coast - Auckland flights (op by A320s)
* Virgin Australia debuts its new Business Class on its E190 fleet
* QantasLink's first 717-200 returns to service with the new 125Y configuration and refreshed interior
* Hawaiian Airlines inaugurates services to Brisbane (767 N588HA operates first flight)
* Qantas 767-300 VH-ZXB departs Australian shores (the first of the ex-BA 767s to leave)
* Lengthy discussion about the curfew at Sydney Airport and diversions
* Progress on Canberra Airport terminal works
* Virgin Australia's corporate structure and share registry
* Qantas' services to Honolulu
* Qantas announces all weekday MEL/SYD-PER services to be operated by A330s come May 2013
* QF crew bases
* HiFly's A340-300 and operations
* Sydney - Dallas, Dallas - Brisbane/Sydney load factors for Sep 2012
* Future flights to Dallas from both Brisbane and Sydney - for and against discussion
* Emirates cancels an EK4143 service
* Update on Qantas' refurbishment of some of the 767-300 fleet
* Thai Airways operates a number of 747 charter flights
* China Southern rumoured to be suspending Perth services from April 2013
* Qantas reportedly set to upgrade/refurbish its Internationally-configured A330s
* CAPA reports that Aerolineas services to SYD are now profitable post elimination of AKL stopover
* Euroatlantic 777-200ER visits Sydney operating NAN services on behalf of Air Pacific
* Qatar Airways loads 787 on its PER-DOH route in GDS/booking engine
* Brindabella Airlines confirms it'll enter the Sydney-Orange market from February 2013
* Wagners gains approval to build a jet-capable Airport on the outer skirts of Toowoomba
* JetGo reportedly looking to operate ERJ services out of Bundaberg to Brisbane and Sydney
* Virgin Australia expresses its desire to operate in to regional QLD markets such as Roma
* Air New Zealand 'Hobbit' livery (777-300ER ZK-OKP) makes it debut on Australian services
* Air Canada reportedly looking at expanding services to MEL
* Singapore Airlines announces new fourth daily MEL service
* Etihad signs a $6m, three year partnership with Tourism Australia
* Qantas starts selling EK operated codeshare flights to MAN and MXP on its website
* China Southern reportedly keen to operate Australia or NZ services to South America
* QF21 SYD-NRT 17DEC12 diverts to CNS due to disruptive passenger
* QF8 diverts to Auckland
* CASA supends Barrier Aviation's (based in Far North Queensland) AOC

Thanks for supporting the Australian Aviation Thread throughout 2012, wishing everyone a very happy and prosperous New Year         

Cheers

QF175
Topic Author

RE: Australian Aviation Thread # 67

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:56 am

TravelDaily from 17DEC12 suggests China Eastern is keen to expand its Australian presence.

Quote:
MU wants more Aust ports

CHINA Eastern Airlines is the latest carrier to set its sights on Australia, with the rapidly growing airline wanting to boost its current offering of nine weekly services ex Sydney, daily flights ex MEL and three weekly ex CNS.

MU gm Oceania, Kathy Zhang, told TD the airline wants to add more Australian cities to its network as it continues to expand worldwide.

“Stay tuned,” she said.

Article continues...

-----

Anyone keen to make their 2013 predictions regarding the Australian Aviation industry?

[Edited 2012-12-30 03:00:37]

QF175
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:59 am

Please delete................

[Edited 2012-12-30 03:01:04]

tayser

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Quoting QF175 (Reply 1):
Anyone keen to make their 2013 predictions regarding the Australian Aviation industry?

a few things (MEL related):

Terminals/Airfield/Ground Transport/Planning related:

- The full plans for T3+T4 expansion will be released in the first quarter (I've eye-balled a few renders of the new LCC terminal (T4) where Tiger currently sits already) and construction will start this year - probably a 2 year timeframe for completion.
- Failleu Government's Tulla rail link study will be presented to the government at some point in the year, my tip: Rail link 10 year timeframe, "Albion" corridor option [given that all the airport masterplans are getting more and more detail of how a rail line will approach the terminals] preferred (just like previous studies!).
- Possibly some more whinging from the taxi and road lobbies to get the Airport Drive / 2nd access point (to compliment Tulla FWY access) coming from the Calder FWY off the ground.
- AVV rail link study will also be presented to Failleu, they'll sing its praises and then suddenly find that they dont want to spend the couple of hundred mil on an airport that's getting a mere fraction of the passengers the primary airport gets up the road.
- More noise from Linfox on AVV international terminals (good luck to them..................[crickets]........)
- The NIMBY/Greenie movement will mobilise on longshot Tooradin / 3rd airport for Melbourne.

Flights:

The Americas:
- SA)">UA might unveil plans to start a year round direct non-stop flight with 787s (they're fleet planning most likely underway now in full swing) - hoping for a SFO-MEL,
- VA/DL increase weekly frequencies to LAX, that would require SA)">DL to fly 4x weekly - possibly a longer-than-12-month timeframe.
- possibly more noise from AC on a YVR-MEL route.
- [longshot] noise from LA / AR to start MEL via AKL.

Asia:
- Royal Brunei could cease given they have ceased elsewhere in AU
- More noise from Skymark about NRT/HND-MEL services.
- KE back on seasonal basis
- Full de-linking of the 3rd flight via ADL on CX, (already talked about) - likely to have happen this year or next

NZ:
- probably more related to WLG management itself, but now that Tiger is majority owned by VA (new terms on its AOC?), might see some Tiger flights in and out of WLG to east coast ports (MEL likely starter given the base is here).
- more ZQN frequencies ex MEL.
- one of QF's 3x daily 738 flights on MEL-AKL to be dropped and capacity picked up by EK's 380 flying across the ditch - (similar changes ex BNE and SYD).

Domestic:
- more and more Tiger expansion (or re-expansion? hah),
-- NT: DRW and ASP might come back, would be nice to get one or two weekly frequencies in to AYQ (no non-stops at present)
-- QLD: possibly start TSV (have they flown MEL-TSV before?), HTI (a few a week, JQ 5x week only competition at the moment), possible shift from VA to TT on MCY (and maybe more than the current daily VA frequency, or VA kept on route and Tiger does a few frequencies on top).
-- SA: ramping right back up to pre-grounding frequencies to ADL (currently 2x daily, move toward 4-5x daily)
-- NSW/ACT: like SA / ASA)">DL, ramping frequencies to SYD up to pre-grounding frequencies, possibly restart CBR.
-- WA: a 3rd daily frequency to PER
-- TAS: frequencies increases to HBA and LST
- Qantas mainline:
-- more frequencies non-stop to non-PER ports in WA.
-- shift another JQ frequency to QF on HBA (they've been doing that over 1-2 years now IIRC)
- VA mainline:
-- taking it to QF on MEL-non PER WA ports? BME, KTA possibly?
- JQ:
-- all that needs to be said is that they'll probably make themselves the biggest pain in the arse for any TT expansion as possible.

eta unknown

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Quoting tayser (Reply 3):
Asia:

At this stage- doubtful. MEL exists purely to feed LHR- without MEL the BWN-DXB-LHR flight would be empty. There was a rumour to restart PER-BWN, but nothing came of it. Similarly, BNE-BWN was much more successful than MEL-BWN, but the decision to keep MEL was completely politically motivated. MEL pax loads are now decent, but the yield so bad the flight breaks even at best purely with help from the cargo revenue.

QF762

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:56 am

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

I just noticed on BNE-CNS that QF(Link) flies a once weekly B712 on Saturday afternoon (and return CNS-BNE on Sunday morning), but interestingly that the flight only has a scheduled flight time of 2 hr exactly (compared to 2 hr 20 min for the B73H). Is the B712 really that much of a pocket rocket?

Happy and Prosperous New Year to all!

Quokkas

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:43 am

Having previously promised that an A380-capable gate at PER would be available early next year, to then saying in July that it would be ready "within twelve months", it has now been conceded that the gate will not be available until November next year. So much for expediting things.

Understandably EK is reported to be not all too pleased as they have been forced to set back the hoped-for introduction of the A380 by at least five months. I wonder how much the delay will impact on the tie-up between QF and EK as it was to be expected that QF would be selling seats on EK, hence the initial promise to bring forward the opening of the A380-capable gate.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...71/airport-setback-holds-up-a380s/

[Edited 2012-12-30 17:44:19]
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

IndianicWorld

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:06 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 4):
BNE-BWN was much more successful than MEL-BWN, but the decision to keep MEL was completely politically motivated.

Umm... If BNE was so successful it would have been kept. There was no political reason for MEL to be served instead of BNE.

With BI bringing 787's onto the route soon, it should help in making the route perform better. It had a slow start yes, but yields and pax loads have improved quite well from reports I have heard.

eta unknown

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:56 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 7):
Umm... If BNE was so successful it would have been kept. There was no political reason for MEL to be served instead of BNE.

100% incorrect. However, your comments are 100% logical though. Again, it was completely political. MEL was supposed to be cancelled 3 months after AKL/BNE/PER but it became VERY political (Bruneian political, not Australian). FYI BNE-BWN was the highest revenue generating route in the network. I know more but unable to post in a public forum.

IndianicWorld

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:33 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 8):
100% incorrect. However, your comments are 100% logical though. Again, it was completely political. MEL was supposed to be cancelled 3 months after AKL/BNE/PER but it became VERY political (Bruneian political, not Australian). FYI BNE-BWN was the highest revenue generating route in the network. I know more but unable to post in a public forum.

My point is, if BNE was the best performing route, as you indicate, why would they not have kept it and canceled all others? It doesn't add up.

Knowing more is all well and good, but fact is it still exists that they have not moved the flights from MEL to BNE when they very well could do so. They need the feed, and if BNE would give them the best results, it would be flying there.

texan

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 am

CASA moved to extend Barrier Aviation's suspension until at least 15 February 2013. The court agreed with CASA and extended the suspension until at least that date.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

eta unknown

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:26 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 9):
My point is, if BNE was the best performing route, as you indicate, why would they not have kept it and canceled all others? It doesn't add up.

Knowing more is all well and good, but fact is it still exists that they have not moved the flights from MEL to BNE when they very well could do so. They need the feed, and if BNE would give them the best results, it would be flying there.

Your point is valid. But we're dealing with Bruneian logic (including loss of face for suspending a newly started route), and a certain amount of pride, hence why it doesn't add up. FYI all longhaul flying and MNL was supposed to be suspended.
There is a chance some suspended routes may be brought back if the 5th 787 arrives (there are 5 on order, but RBA might only take 4). All longhaul flying is now operated with 4 leased 777-200's.

[Edited 2012-12-30 23:30:46]

eaglefarm4

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:30 am

I also have had contacts within BI's Australian operations.

BNE was the best performing market in Australia for BI -absolutely.Yes it is political .However i am now hearing that BNE will most likely be reinstated with the 5th 787.

Time will tell.
tourismman

maxter

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:10 am

maxter

RyanairGuru

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 9):

We are not talking about a private corporation with a profit maximisation objective here. Normal logic doesn't apply.

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 8):
FYI BNE-BWN was the highest revenue generating route in the network.

I'd heard the same. Well, actually I heard that BNE was the only profitable route in the network.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ben175

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Quoting maxter (Reply 13):
WAC strikes again, unbelievable...

Cheers

Absolutely ridiculous! PER has by far the worst airport management in the country.

EK413

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Quoting Ben175 (Reply 15):
Quoting maxter (Reply 13):
WAC strikes again, unbelievable...

Cheers

Absolutely ridiculous! PER has by far the worst airport management in the country.

Totally agree! PER airport continues to win Australia's worst managed transport infrastructure awards!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 16):
Australia's worst managed transport infrastructure

Woah! That's a big call!!! Airport maybe, but I can think of quite a few poorly managed infrastructure projects 
Worked Hard, Flew Right

EK413

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 17):

Ok, I'm giving the opportunity to name 1 worse than PER  I can't think of any at this point unless your referring to MEL but at least they have gone ahead and invested (even though its all patchup work)

My view on the gate situation is the fact the airport management had a clear indication EK would operate the A380 to PER & instead decided to sit around on their rear ends...

EK413

CupraIbiza

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 17):
but I can think of quite a few poorly managed infrastructure projects 

Myki - Melbourne's public transport ticketing system.

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 4):
Asia:

At this stage- doubtful. MEL exists purely to feed LHR- without MEL the BWN-DXB-LHR flight would be empty. There was a rumour to restart PER-BWN, but nothing came of it. Similarly, BNE-BWN was much more successful than MEL-BWN, but the decision to keep MEL was completely politically motivated. MEL pax loads are now decent, but the yield so bad the flight breaks even at best purely with help from the cargo revenue.

I am in the international freight caper and we use BI for our air freight service LHR-MEL. Average service, But the price is right
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

tullamarine

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:09 pm

- one of QF's 3x daily 738 flights on MEL-AKL to be dropped and capacity picked up by EK's 380 flying across the ditch - (similar changes ex BNE and SYD).

I doubt the ACCC would look on this very favourably. One of the approval conditions for the QF/EK codeshare arrangement was that there be no lessening of capacity or competition on trans-Tasman services.
717,721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,742/3/4,752/3,762/3,772,W,310,320/1,332/3,388,DC9,DC10,F28,F100,142,143,E90,CR2,D82/3/4,SF3,AT

EK413

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Quoting tullamarine (Reply 20):

I doubt the ACCC would look on this very favourably. One of the approval conditions for the QF/EK codeshare arrangement was that there be no lessening of capacity or competition on trans-Tasman services.

This was one of my original arguments when there was a quote suggesting EK drop an A380 service & in favour of operating a turn around service to DXB instead... The ACCC end of the day will make the final decision & either give the alliance a green light...or bring it back to the negotiating table...

EK413

Sydscott

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 am

Question for the more technical minded, I flew in on QF2 this morning and when I was in SIN I noticed a QF 744 which had a wingtip winglet missing. I got the rego when we landed in Sydney, VH-OJI, which operated QF6 from Frankfurt. Surely having a winglet on 1 side, and none on the other, would create some compensatory issues for the pilots? It's obviously not a safety issue but the aircraft looked funny in SIN taking off with 1 winglet missing. Surely QF aren't that short of 744's yet?

EK413

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Quoting sydscott (Reply 22):
B747-400 Without Left Winglet (by Lu Jan 15 2007 in Civil Aviation)#

I probably won't be able answer the technical side but I can shed some light on how VH-OJI ended up with one winglet...

A Qantas Airways Boeing 747 lands at Kingsford Smith International Airport in Australia from Frankfurt via Singapore as QF6.
This bird damaged it's winglet on pushback in Johannesburg after colliding with a blast fence. Subsequently VH-OJI went on to fly to Frankfurt and back, then to Johannesburg with only one winglet.
It is a very rare sight to see a 747-400 with only one winglet, it has happened a few times in the past however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h8eV...LGm7s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

EK413

EK413

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 am

QF10 which was enroute to SIN is diverting into DXB due to a medical emergency... Scheduled to arrive into DXB 09:58...

Spotters... Spotters... Spotters...

EK413

vhqpa

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:14 am

It appears Virgin is moving to Sabre next weekend. Looks like the DJ designator might not be in use for much longer.

Quoting Email:

Dear Mr XXXXXXXXXX,

Virgin Australia will be transitioning to a new Sabre booking and check-in system on Saturday 12 January and Sunday 13 January 2013 in order to enhance the travel experience for our customers.

To support this transition, the Velocity Frequent Flyer website (My Account) will be offline from 10.30pm AEDT on Wednesday 9 January to Sunday 13 January 2013. If you plan to make a booking or redeem Points during this time, we encourage you to do so prior to the My Account area of our website being unavailable, as some of our usual member services will not be available, including:
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Rotation

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:38 am

Quoting vhqpa (Reply 25):
Looks like the DJ designator might not be in use for much longer.

Yeah, it says on the website that from 14 January all flights will use designator VA. I was wondering if they were ever going to do that - seems like the answer is "yes!"

That said, it's a long time, I think, to have the Velocity stuff down.
AN YC BA QF JQ DJ NZ AA B6 TT VA WN VX UA SQ EY

CXfirst

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:24 am

Quoting Rotation (Reply 26):
That said, it's a long time, I think, to have the Velocity stuff down.

I do think they are trying not to rush it too much, thinking that the steadier they do it, the better the result will be. They don't want a system crash, which happened with the old system a bit too often.

Things like staff travel and duty travel have been reduced in this period as well, even work rosters for some have been locked down for the coming weekend in order to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

-CXfirst

ben175

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:39 am

Oh wow, I am flying the 8:00pm SYD-PER service on the 13th, looks like I will be onboard the last ever "DJ" coast to coast service.

Sydscott

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 23):
A Qantas Airways Boeing 747 lands at Kingsford Smith International Airport in Australia from Frankfurt via Singapore as QF6.
This bird damaged it's winglet on pushback in Johannesburg after colliding with a blast fence. Subsequently VH-OJI went on to fly to Frankfurt and back, then to Johannesburg with only one winglet.
It is a very rare sight to see a 747-400 with only one winglet, it has happened a few times in the past however.

That video was uploaded on Dec 27th. I saw it January 4th. Surely they aren't so short of 744's that they could have fixed a winglet by now?

EK413

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Quoting sydscott (Reply 29):

I'm aware the video clip was uploaded 27th of December.... I believe QF are short of B744s considering they have been operating double daily SYD-BKK services opposed to upgrading the flight to a B744...

EK413

EK413

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 am

It appears a QF aircraft has gone u/s in HNL with Qantas ferrying an aircraft tonight to pickup the stranded passengers...

The 2nd ex-BA B763 in the QF fleet is off to the desert 6th of February...

EK413

qf002

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 21):
This was one of my original arguments when there was a quote suggesting EK drop an A380 service & in favour of operating a turn around service to DXB instead

The issue here would be matching capacity and the DXB waves. It just doesn't quite fit together properly and would mean long periods sat on the ground at SYD anyway.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 30):
I believe QF are short of B744s considering they have been operating double daily SYD-BKK services opposed to upgrading the flight to a B744

I'm inclined to say that the BKK example has more to do with crewing issues (ie no flight crew cross qualification across the 747s and A330s) than a shortage of 744s. Given that OJD has been floating around doing random MEL-PER, SYD-DRW etc rotations for the last six weeks, I think it's probably just not a big enough issue to call engineers in for their holidays (at high overtime rates), or they are awaiting spare parts (it's not exactly a high volume item) and things are taking time because of the time of year.

EK413

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 32):
The issue here would be matching capacity and the DXB waves. It just doesn't quite fit together properly and would mean long periods sat on the ground at SYD anyway.

With current operations EK have services timed with 3 banks (correct me if I'm wrong)...

Quoting qf002 (Reply 32):
I'm inclined to say that the BKK example has more to do with crewing issues (ie no flight crew cross qualification across the 747s and A330s) than a shortage of 744s. Given that OJD has been floating around doing random MEL-PER, SYD-DRW etc rotations for the last six weeks, I think it's probably just not a big enough issue to call engineers in for their holidays (at high overtime rates), or they are awaiting spare parts (it's not exactly a high volume item) and things are taking time because of the time of year.

So is it safe to say the double daily BKK services are a direct result of crewing issues & not lack of aircraft...? I haven't seen VH-OJD for a while & I've noticed an -400ER type will be operating QF567 SYD-PER on the 25th of January...

EK413

flylonghaul

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 33):
With current operations EK have services timed with 3 banks (correct me if I'm wrong)...

EKs current pattern connects with 2 waves. EK 415 connects well with the mid afternoon wave, 413 and 419 connect with the morning wave. (They arrive 45 minutes apart)
Its a shame they don't operate a a terminator flight that allows connections to the midnight bank for early morning arrivals. I guess QF will cover that option for them come march.
Flying for Pleasure

Mikey86

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 am

There is talk about making SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD to a SYD-DFW-AKL-SYD routing due to the diversions. Interesting and would suck big time for us BNE folk.
mikey86 - Greenslopes, Queensland

Mikey86

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:21 am

Update - CZ reinstates CAN-PER-CAN services as of 31MAR13 according to TravelDaily on 08JAN13. Just checked availability and I can sell seats on both sectors.

Please see timetable display below:

TN31MARCANPER/ACZ
** AMADEUS TIMETABLE - TN ** PER PERTH.AUWA 31MAR13 07APR13
1 CZ 319 246 CAN PERT1 2145 0600+1 0 02APR13 26OCT13 333 8:15

TN31MARPERCAN/ACZ
** AMADEUS TIMETABLE - TN ** CAN GUANGZHOU.CN 31MAR13 07APR13
1 CZ 320 357 PERT1 CAN 0850 1715 0 31MAR13 25OCT13 333 8:25

ben175

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:11 am

Quoting Mikey86 (Reply 36):
Update - CZ reinstates CAN-PER-CAN services as of 31MAR13 according to TravelDaily on 08JAN13. Just checked availability and I can sell seats on both sectors.

A huge relief. It would be a shame for PER to lose its only service to mainland China. I did expect a change in schedule however.

9MMPD

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 am

Quoting Ben175 (Reply 37):
A huge relief. It would be a shame for PER to lose its only service to mainland China. I did expect a change in schedule however.

Or change of aircraft. A333 was a bit ambitious I thought they would have use the A332 instead. Hopefully PER will also be a prime 787 route.

The timings are bad for connections onto Europe which they seem to promote themselves heavily on. I have had friends who have spent many hours at CAN in transit. Not sure how conections are for flights to LAX but CZ seem to also promote themselves.

Any idea how cargo is doing on the route?

DJMEL

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 am

From Sunday afternoon the DJ flight code will pass into history!!!

Virgin Australia will officially use VA for all flights!!!

SabreSonic SHOULD be up and running sometime Sunday afternoon - Good Bye Navitaire and Amadeus!

flylonghaul

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 am

Quoting DJMEL (Reply 39):
From Sunday afternoon the DJ flight code will pass into history!!!Virgin Australia will officially use VA for all flights!!!SabreSonic SHOULD be up and running sometime Sunday afternoon - Good Bye Navitaire and Amadeus!

Is this also why I have been hearing the call sign VELOCITY on ATC instead of VIRGIN?
Flying for Pleasure

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 am

The fact it took them so long to decide on what they were going to do tends to suggest it has not gone to plan so far.

Even at only 3X weekly, the PER/WA market will need to continue to develop its offering to Chinese tourists if they want this route to work. The market is very different to the East Coast destinations CZ service (MEL/SYD/BNE), which tend to have more of a diverse travel base to work from to China, and as such will be interesting to see what moves they make in the upcoming period.

[Edited 2013-01-08 01:54:40]

EK413

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Quoting flylonghaul (Reply 34):

Thanks for clarifying...  

It's just amazing how my comments on another forum received criticism suggesting QF time the SYD-LAX/DFW flights to meet up with EK services allowing passengers to connect to DXB services giving a choice to fly both East bound and West bound... Now Mr Clark has the exact same idea up his sleeve! Straight from the horses mouth...

“If the timing is right and the two aircraft meet, with Qantas and Emirates you could go around the world with A380s,” he said yesterday. “I’m sure we could do trans-Pacific business on Qantas metal as part of this overall deal.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...for-pacific-routes.html?cmpid=yhoo

EK413

Mikey86

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 pm

A change - to tie up to with onward destinations to Europe?

I think CZ wants to target the FIFO business more so than the onward connections. Didn't think that would be the bigger market.

Mikey86

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:13 pm

A change - to tie up to with onward destinations to Europe?

I think CZ wants to target the FIFO business more so than the onward connections. Didn't think that would be the bigger market.

Sydscott

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 42):
suggesting QF time the SYD-LAX/DFW flights to meet up with EK services allowing passengers to connect to DXB services giving a choice to fly both East bound and West bound

I think that makes perfect sense and I, personally, thought the daytime LAX-SYD service was a fantastic service to travel on. (Midday departure at LAX and evening arrival into SYD). Considering the amount of O&D between Australia and the West Coast of the US, plus immediate States, Mexico etc where it's feasible to make a connection to an earlier service, re-timing one of the SYD-LAX flights to return earlier could make sense if QF also agreed to the round the world service. For DFW I'd stick with the evening departure/morning arrival into Australia schedule until they were ready to add additional services.

thegeek

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 am

Re: PER-CAN

Quoting 9MMPD (Reply 38):
A333 was a bit ambitious I thought they would have use the A332 instead.

On paper, it seems that the trip costs are almost the same. Why use the A332 when the A333 can do it comfortably and has more revenue potential?

-
Oct BITRE stats are out:
SYD->DFW: 7855 only 70% LF, assuming 31x 364 seat aircraft. Interesting. Were there cancellations in that month?
DFW->BNE: 4952
DFW->SYD: 3043
71% LF westbound assuming 31x 364 seat aircraft and no restrictions *cough*.

Interesting that westbound had more than eastbound too.

strangr

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:20 am

EK413

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 am

Appears the Qantas and China Eastern relationship is getting pretty cozy...

Certainly a clear indication Qantas is brushing off OneWorld partner Cathay Pacific in favor of non-alliance carrier China Eastern...

China Eastern eager to push Qantas tie-up talks
Eager to increase flights and add new destinations to Australia, Qantas Airways Ltd's partner in China, China Eastern, is pushing for progress in longstanding negotiations between the two airlines on forging a deeper commercial relationship, according to The Australian Financial Review.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...0130107-3QP22?opendocument&src=rss

EK413

Tassieboy

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Anyone hear about the snake on QF191 on Thursday morning? Apologies if it's already been mentioned and I've missed it!  

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/an...-flying-circus-20130110-2cj3g.html