SA7700
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 123

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:08 am

This is a continuation thread of part 122 which can be found here: New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 122

Have a Happy New Year!

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

ZKSUJ

RE: New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 123

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 am

Happy New Year every one, the points discussed towards the in the previous posts have been:

-Rob Fyfe's Tenure as CEO is now over, Christopher Luxon takes over
-WLG Runway being too short for any real long haul service
-ZK-MVB now in the country after a delivery flight
-JQ versus NZ in terms of reliability and customer satisfaction

sunrisevalley

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Can someone summarise management changes that Chis Luxon has ( apparently) made . Are there any new senior management changes rumoured?

NZ107

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Quoting sunrisevalley (Reply 2):
Can someone summarise management changes that Chis Luxon has ( apparently) made . Are there any new senior management changes rumoured?

Umm I think he simplified it and merged GM long haul and GM domestic/short haul into the COO position that Bruce Parton now has. Not really sure about other changes (nothing has been said about it) or it could be the fact that there are none.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

haggis73

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 3):
or it could be the fact that there are none.

Going from the article below,

"He said he was finalising his "Go Beyond" strategy for the airline which would be unveiled in the next two months."

"This follows restructuring of the senior executive and leadership teams, although some key roles have yet to be filled."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10856919

aerokiwi

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Quoting haggis73 (Reply 4):
"He said he was finalising his "Go Beyond" strategy for the airline which would be unveiled in the next two months."

I'd be impressed if they can reach the $180m profit target - though it seems focusing on profitable domestic ops is a pretty good strategy for achieving this. They are the airline's bread and butter afterall.

Out of interest - does anyone else think the days of the B1900s might be numbered? Purely anecdotal but family visiting AKL from Blenheim have noted increasing ATRs on their route and are booking only those flights for both work and pleasure - the difference in comfort and service is substantial. I guess it wouldn't be economic for super short haul hops like WLG-BHE but with more ATRs coming online, I wonder if the Beech numbers will at least be reduced.

Mariner - in the previous thread you asked why I raised the issue of Jetstar raising fares, backing down, then cutting CHC-ZQN in response to your post. I did so because you were likening passenger demand on JQ to passenger demand on FR (I don't know how to quote between threads but can go cut and paste if you want me to). My point being that JQ can only seem to attract passengers with lower fares than NZ and it has had to pull off a fairly heavy tourist route because pax numbers (or yield) just aren't there to support it. So no, passengers aren't flocking to JQ and I believe the primary reason is its atrocious reliability issues.

NZ107

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:01 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 5):
I wonder if the Beech numbers will at least be reduced.

Or even be confined to the shorter routes such as WLG-BHE/NSN/PMR etc. Quite interesting about the AT7 being used.. Are they out of capacity with the Q300? I'd be surprised if they could fill a few AT7s on AKL-BHE. I think there's still a place for the B1900D.. Even if it's for increasing frequencies. Can the B1900D operate into Milford Sound? That'd be a sight to see.

ZKSUJ

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 6):
Can the B1900D operate into Milford Sound? That'd be a sight to see.

I'd love to see that too but nah it can't. I think it's future will be on routes under 40 mins, WLG-BHE/PMR, AKL-HLZ/TAU/KKE, CHC/HKK etc etc

Are there any new senior management changes rumoured?

A few changes in Domestic in the near future. That's all I know

mariner

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 am

Mariner - in the previous thread you asked why I raised the issue of Jetstar raising fares, backing down, then cutting CHC-ZQN in response to your post. I did so because you were likening passenger demand on JQ to passenger demand on FR (I don't know how to quote between threads but can go cut and paste if you want me to).

I was puzzled because I have (generally) found it applies to various LLC's, all the ones I follow, whose passengers are, usually, exceptionally price sensitive - to the actual fare, not necessarily to the ancillary charges.

I don't consider Air NZ - yet - to be defined as LCC, although it certainly has lower fares available.

So no, passengers aren't flocking to JQ and I believe the primary reason is its atrocious reliability issues.

Passengers may not be flocking to 'em - I don't know, but I'm happy to take your word for it. The reason I raised Ryanair is because, to generalise again, the perception of the airline doesn't seem to have a detrimental affect on its business.

mariner

[Edited 2013-01-01 16:43:50]
aeternum nauta

NZ107

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:45 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 7):

Then I guess NZ needs a fleet of Twotters.. 

ZKSUJ

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:03 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 9):
Then I guess NZ needs a fleet of Twotters..

Yea, operate into Milford, Stewart Island, Kaikoura, Picton, Great Barrier etc.. Truly be the national airline  .

Zkpilot

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 10):
Yea, operate into Milford, Stewart Island, Kaikoura, Picton, Great Barrier etc.. Truly be the national airline

Yeah I am quite surprised by the lack of flights to Stewart Island and out to The Chathams.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

nzrich

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 am

From Aerokiwi

And a lot of the pax are flying Oneowrld internationally and connecting to JQ. Though I think (correct me if wrong) some are now interlining with NZ to avoid hoisting their premium pax onto a lousy JQ service.

CX now offers only NZ connections when booking through their website .
"Pride of the pacific"

ZKSUJ

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:40 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 11):
Yeah I am quite surprised by the lack of flights to Stewart Island and out to The Chathams

I think demand or lack of aside, there isn't really a machine apart from the convair that can pull it off very well. There's no fuel avaliable in the chats afaik so all flights in would have to be tankering. The journey is 400 miles from the nearest NZ airport, meaning that it's not really do-able with a tankering sector, plus weather/tech alternates if needed etc

Zkpilot

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 13):
There's no fuel avaliable in the chats afaik so all flights in would have to be tankering

Which is something that could be changed if commercial ops began... perhaps even just to allow for partial uplift would make a difference. But yes other factors come in like liferafts etc

zkojq

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:45 am

Regarding the JetStar discussion.... I flew quite a few sectors with them between 2009 and 2011 and every flight was delayed (by between 5 minutes and 3.5 hours). I'm sure JetStar must work for some people, but it just can't be relied on if you need to be somewhere by a fixed time. Now that Air New Zealand has their 'NightRider' fares, I don't really see why anyone other than those burning Qantas Points would use them.

Quoting haggis73 (Reply 4):

The article says that and additional (to what was previously planned) A320 is being added to domestic operations this year. Does anyone know if this is an existing option converted to an order, an order brought forward from next year or a Tasman aircraft being converted/switched to domestic operations? I would love to know.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 14):
But yes other factors come in like liferafts etc

My first thought. Must be quite a squeeze to get them in a B1900D, if that is even possible.

Oh and happy 2013 everyone.  
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

NZ107

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Remember the days in this thread when Picton-LAX was brought up? Haha.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 15):
I don't really see why anyone other than those burning Qantas Points would use them.

But even then, why would you bother burning QF points on them.. Burn points to get delayed is not really the ideal situation. I'd much rather just pay to fly Air NZ and have more assurance of getting to my destination either on time or at least on the day I booked for.

zkojq

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 16):
But even then, why would you bother burning QF points on them..

In my case, because the points were about to expire and the travel was non-important VFR.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 16):
I'd much rather just pay to fly Air NZ and have more assurance of getting to my destination either on time or at least on the day I booked for.

As would I had the flights been paid for in real $$$, since they weren't it wasn't too much of an issue if the trip ended up getting cancelled. Getting stuck at the destination because of JetStar is always a concern, however.
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

Kiwirob

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Yeah I am quite surprised by the lack of flights to Stewart Island and out to The Chathams.

Population on Stewart Island is about 400 people, not really a big enough to support more than one airline, Stewart Is isn't much of a tourist destination either. The ferry from Bluff is dirt cheap with multiple crossings per day.

NZ6

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Yea, operate into Milford, Stewart Island, Kaikoura, Picton, Great Barrier etc.. Truly be the national airline
There's no fuel avaliable
Which is something that could be changed if commercial ops began

So NZ would need to first invest in a small fleet of twotters or convair's, employee a pool of pilots, set safety, training and maintenance standards and policies, invest in ongoing training to continually refresh pilots in these standards. We haven't even looked at other inferstructure costs such as check-in areas as an example.

Someone needs to install fuel tanks according to this, who will be paying for that upgrade? I would suggest it would be a fairly hefty set up cost. How would refuelling of these tanks be done? sounds like a pipeline to the wharf would be needed. Again that sort of construction isn't cheap.

NZ is struggling to make a reasonably isolated East Coast city of 34,000 work (GIS) and has failed to make one of NZ's key winter getaways' work (WKA) - how would a remote, hardly visited island of 400 work?

You would be competing with a very economical option of the ferry and there is already an established air operator which I imagine would be supported heavily by the locals over a big corporate from AKL.

At best you would be operating 1 service day and you'd be looking at a multi million dollar set up for this operation. If NZ makes the $180M this year, is that sort of investment worthy? what contribution will Stewart Island play in NZ's future results?

[Edited 2013-01-02 13:00:38]

zkncj

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Looks like the JQNZ website has been down all morning, could this be one of the final hits in the coffin for JQNZ

zkncj

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Does anyone know what the minimum runway length is for a B1990D? been looking all over the net but haven't been able to find a guide.

The main runway at Great Barrier is 930m, an ATR 72-500 on a flight under 300nm only requires 1000m runway length. Therefore surely an B1900D would be able to take off from Great Barrier, if not just a short exntention need to the runway.

ZKSUJ

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Which is something that could be changed if commercial ops began...

Logistical nightmare though, I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 15):
My first thought. Must be quite a squeeze to get them in a B1900D, if that is even possible

If (Big If) this was to go ahead, I'd imagine a Q or ATR would be used. Increase payload/freight. But the Chats is a long shot

Quoting NZ6 (Reply 19):

Agree with you there, my comments were said with tongue in cheek, as I presume a few of the other guys' comments were too

deconz

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:07 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 18):
Population on Stewart Island is about 400 people, not really a big enough to support more than one airline, Stewart Is isn't much of a tourist destination either. The ferry from Bluff is dirt cheap with multiple crossings per day.

The ferry is $ 71 each way - I'd hardly call that "dirt cheap" for a 1 hour crossing!!!

Flight from IVC (which saves having to get to Bluff where the ferry departs from) is $ 115 one way and $ 198 return

deconz

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:12 am

I think demand or lack of aside, there isn't really a machine apart from the convair that can pull it off very well. There's no fuel avaliable in the chats afaik so all flights in would have to be tankering. The journey is 400 miles from the nearest NZ airport, meaning that it's not really do-able with a tankering sector, plus weather/tech alternates if needed etc

I'm not sure about the fuel situation on the Chats. However, Air Chathams used to operate a Metroliner so I'm guessing the B1900D should be able to manage it.

zkncj

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:04 am

Quoting deconz (Reply 24):

I'm not sure about the fuel situation on the Chats. However, Air Chathams used to operate a Metroliner so I'm guessing the B1900D should be able to manage it.

The metro liners run on avgas, so they may of had a small supply there?

Unclekoru

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 25):
The metro liners run on avgas, so they may of had a small supply there?

The metro runs on Jet A1. Garretts don't like avgas much.

Quoting deconz (Reply 24):

Chat's have there own fuel tanker on the Island, don't think they would share with anyone else though.
It sounds like english, but I can't understand a word you're saying

ZKSUJ

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:12 am

Quoting Unclekoru (Reply 26):
Chat's have there own fuel tanker on the Island, don't think they would share with anyone else though

Ahh ok my bad, didn't show on the plate

Zkpilot

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 am

Quoting Unclekoru (Reply 26):
The metro runs on Jet A1. Garretts don't like avgas much.

They can run up to 100 hours on avgas before needing an inspection (something which they would probably need by that time anyway).

Unclekoru

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:50 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 28):
They can run up to 100 hours on avgas before needing an inspection (something which they would probably need by that time anyway).

Yes that is true, they can be run on av gas although it's not a great recipe for a long, efficent and trouble free life.

Aside from "SOAP" samples, the TPE 331's are more like a thousand hours between any routine inspections.

[Edited 2013-01-03 01:51:57]
It sounds like english, but I can't understand a word you're saying

cchan

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:13 am

btw, how much longer can Air Chathams keep those Convair 580s flying?

zkncj

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:42 am

Quoting cchan (Reply 30):

Aren't they like 50 already? surely not much longer than they currently are.

I have heard rumors that they where looking into second hand ATR's, which for sure would improve passenger comfort.

ZKSUJ

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:51 am

I was told they zero lifed a C580 relatively recently. Or was that another company in NZ? An engineer from Feildair in Palmy was talking about it

ZKOJH

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm

'Winds force Jetstar flight back to Auckland'

It seems JQ were having a few problems on Wednesday, !

''A Jetstar flight bound for Wellington was turned back to Auckland after its landing in the capital was aborted due to high winds.

Hundreds of people from that flight - How many people can you get on an A320!!

and other cancelled Jetstar flights have queued at Auckland Airport waiting to get seats on the next plane to Wellington.

A passenger on the 11.30 am flight said some in the ''massive queue'' waiting for new tickets were becoming irritable.

She said conditions appeared fine in Wellington but as the plane came in to land it began swerving wildly and its nose started lifting.

The landing was then aborted and the plane, which was full, was sent back to Auckland.''

Why did they not carry onto CHC? or was AKL the only divert Airport?
Vietnam time..

Mr AirNZ

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 33):
Why did they not carry onto CHC? or was AKL the only divert Airport?

If you divert to the point of origin, chances are accommodation will be sorted for a good many people who can just go home. Divert to CHC and you've got a situation where no one really want's to be there and it's not like you can just bus/ferry them all the Wellington.

zkncj

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 34):
Divert to CHC and you've got a situation where no one really want's to be there and it's not like you can just bus/ferry them all the Wellington.

They could have chosen to divert to PMR, then bus everyone from PMR-WLG. Although this would mean JQ would need to pay NZ to use its ground services at PMR which they likely wouldn't wont too!

Mr AirNZ

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Quoting zkncj (Reply 35):
They could have chosen to divert to PMR, then bus everyone from PMR-WLG. Although this would mean JQ would need to pay NZ to use its ground services at PMR which they likely wouldn't wont too!

There really is quite a bit more to it than that. Even Air New Zealand at times when weighing up different factors will not necessarily divert to PMR with jets and the link fleet still often returning to the point of departure.

zkncj

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:47 am

AKL really needs a hide codeshares option on there website!

NZ6

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:53 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 37):

AKL really needs a hide codeshares option on there website!

Agreed

This applies to most websites though and not just AKL's site.

NZ107

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:42 am

A few more years at least, I think. They're well maintained and according to the pilots, they remain the best plane for the job - rugged and able to take on the South Pacific.

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 32):
I was told they zero lifed a C580 relatively recently. Or was that another company in NZ? An engineer from Feildair in Palmy was talking about it

What does zero lifting mean? I took a daytrip to PMR today and saw a sad looking ex-Chathams CV on the tarmac without many parts.. But I still saw another 2 in AKL today.

PA515

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Out of interest - does anyone else think the days of the B1900s might be numbered? Purely anecdotal but family visiting AKL from Blenheim have noted increasing ATRs on their route and are booking only those flights for both work and pleasure - the difference in comfort and service is substantial. I guess it wouldn't be economic for super short haul hops like WLG-BHE but with more ATRs coming online, I wonder if the Beech numbers will at least be reduced.

Had a look at the Domestic schedule for April 2013 as ZK-MVC will be in service then. No ATR's BHE-AKL-BHE but two Q300's Mon, Thu, Fri, Sun, one Q300 Tue and Wed, no Q300 Sat. There's a WLG-BHE-WLG Q300 Tue and Wed morning, and a CHC-HKK-CHC Q300 Fri evening.

All 14 of the ATR's, 22 of the 23 Q300's, and 16 of the 18 1900D's are utilised. One Q300 maintenance spare for the 37 ATR's and Q300's seems reasonable and a Q300 can easily be substituted for an ATR. Two spare 1900D's, but I doubt they will be selling any just yet. I recall the 1900D is getting an interior refurbishment, and requires more maintenance.

What surprised me was most of the WLG-CHC / CHC-WLG flights are now ATR's. Monday has 11 AT7's, 5 733's and a Q300. Friday has 11 AT7's and 6 733's. Still no CHC-PPQ-CHC, an afternoon flight could easily be fitted in.

There's also increased variation to the basic Mon to Fri schedule, for instance different timings for the same flight number on different days, to accomodate a Mon only flight etc, and different equipment on different days. Presumably to more accurately match capacity to demand every day of the week.

Nothing so far on the 5 ATR options announced when the latest 7 ATR's were ordered. I expect they will take them up.

PA515

PA515

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Quoting PA515 (Reply 40):
No ATR's BHE-AKL-BHE but two Q300's Mon, Thu, Fri, Sun, one Q300 Tue and Wed, no Q300 Sat.

That should be two Q300's Mon to Fri and Sun, no Q300 Sat, as follows:
Mon, Thu, Fri AKL-BHE 0800/0925, BHE-AKL 0945/1110.
Tue and Wed AKL-BHE 0810/0935, BHE-AKL 0955/1120.
Mon to Fri AKL-BHE 1515/1640, BHE-AKL 1700/1825.
Sun AKL-BHE 1040/1205, BHE-AKL 1225/1350.
Sun AKL-BHE 1815/1940, BHE-AKL 2005/2130.

The reason for the 10 min difference between the Mon, Thu, Fri AKL-BHE-AKL and the Tue and Wed AKL-BHE-AKL appears to be about avoiding having two Q300's at BHE at the same time. The Tue and Wed WLG-BHE is 0840/0905, BHE-WLG 0925/0950.

PA515

[Edited 2013-01-05 09:25:25]

zkncj

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:04 pm

What surprised me was most of the WLG-CHC / CHC-WLG flights are now ATR's. Monday has 11 AT7's, 5 733's and a Q300. Friday has 11 AT7's and 6 733's. Still no CHC-PPQ-CHC, an afternoon flight could easily be fitted in

I would say by the time that more AT7s have arrived and more 733 have left the fleet, I can see CHC-WLG-CHC got completely ATR.

sunrisevalley

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Quoting zkncj (Reply 42):
I would say by the time that more AT7s have arrived and more 733 have left the fleet, I can see CHC-WLG-CHC got completely ATR.

and an additional A320 is to be added to the domestic fleet. How many 733/A320 will this be essentially flying AKL-WLG/CHC and return ? Something like 10 in service at any one point in time?

zkncj

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Quoting sunrisevalley (Reply 43):
and an additional A320 is to be added to the domestic fleet. How many 733/A320 will this be essentially flying AKL-WLG/CHC and return ? Something like 10 in service at any one point in time?

When A320 arrives a 737 leaves the fleet, they had 16 733s but only ordered 14 A320s to replace the 737s. So once they have completed the change over they are going to be down 2 jet aircraft but up 7x ATR 72-600.

At peak hour, I would say AKL would pretty much almost use 90% of the domestic jet allocation up, as AKL-WLG-AKL and AKL-CHC-AKL is run every 30minutes in the AM/PM peak periods.

On top of that you then have AKL-ZQN-AKL now 5x Daily (summer 4x 320 1x 733), then the you have AKL-DUD-AKL.

Which ZQN/DUD each return trip is taking the aircraft for about 5hours.

deconz

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Had a look at the Domestic schedule for April 2013 as ZK-MVC will be in service then.

isn't it about time we saw ZK-MVB out and about?

NZ107

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Quoting deconz (Reply 45):
isn't it about time we saw ZK-MVB out and about?

I read somewhere it's starting mid Jan.

DolphinAir747

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:56 pm

I hope to see a piacture of ZK-MVB along with the All Blacks 32S and 77W!

On a completely different note, is the 777 in The Hobbit colors here to stay in this livery or only painted temporarily as an ad?

Mr AirNZ

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Quoting sunrisevalley (Reply 43):

Just to clarify, no additional A320 has been ordered. The delievery of one on order has simply been moved forward from 2014 to 2013. The domestic fleet is still currently scheduled to be fourteen units (the four already here plus ten on order).

zkncj

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 47):
On a completely different note, is the 777 in The Hobbit colors here to stay in this livery or only painted temporarily as an ad?

Can't remember the length of the contract, I think it was about 2 years?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos