8herveg
Topic Author

Any Plans For BA To Fly To Split?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:00 pm

I wondered if BA have any plans to fly to Split? I know they fly to Dubrovnik already (anyone know how well this route does?), but I think Split would do quite well, say 3 x weekly LGW-SPU with the B734.

Croatia seems to be becoming more and more popular year by year, with many middle-class families going sailing around the islands, Hvar etc.

Any thoughts?

seansasLCY

RE: Any Plans For BA To Fly To Split?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Thread starter):
I know they fly to Dubrovnik already (anyone know how well this route does?),

Dubrovnik always seems to be quite cheap on the BA website. I've seen Club Europe for £65ow for so many dates.

8herveg
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 1):
Dubrovnik always seems to be quite cheap on the BA website. I've seen Club Europe for £65ow for so many dates.

Really? Wow. That is cheap! I'm just looking now and the cheapest one-way flight on a Saturday in June (before the schools break up!) is £128....quite pricey really?

jet72uk

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:33 pm

BA used to fly LGW-SPU but it was dropped some years back.

adriaticflight

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 1):
Quoting 8herveg (Reply 2):
the cheapest one-way flight on a Saturday in June (before the schools break up!) is £128....quite pricey really?

In the winter flights to Dubrovnik are quite cheap. British Airways have absolutely no direct competition from London to the Dalmatian coast in Winter. The demand is weak (but there) and in reality its a miricle that they fly the route all year. Its a very welcome connection for anyone who needs to get to Montenegro or Hercegovina from the UK as the other options involve changing in Zagreb or Belgrade or half day drives from the nearest major airport.

British Airways used to fly Gatwick-Split three times per week. This was before the arrival of Easyjet and Wizzair direct to Split and Ryanair to Zadar which is only 1hour away by motorway. I guess yields dropped and they decided to deploy the aircraft elsewhere. It sure is a shame that there aren't direct flights in the wiinter. I'm sure Easyjet could fill a once weekly flight

Over the years British Airways have had a large network in the former Yugoslavia:
Belgrade = dropped 2011
Ljubljana = dropped late 1990s
Zagreb = dropped in middle 2000s and restarted (although nobody believes for long) in 2012
Sarajevo = operated for a year or so in the 2000s
Skopje = dropped ages ago
pristina = operated from about 2000 until 2012

santos

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 pm

I think £129 is not a bad price considering it's a weekend and it's June. Market is too competitive, easyjet flies from LGW & STN, Wizzair from Luton, Norwegian Airlines will start in mid April from LGW and Croatia Airlines operates from LHR/LGW during the summer. Dubrovnik does have some cheape fares during the winter, but high fares during the summer season.

8herveg
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Quoting santos (Reply 5):
I think £129 is not a bad price considering it's a weekend and it's June

£129 one-way, not return. I think it's pretty expensive personally.

BOCHORA

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Hahaha I thought this was some joke related to 'To Fly To Serve'..

'To Fly To Split'

gabrielchew

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Thread starter):
I know they fly to Dubrovnik already (anyone know how well this route does?)

I flew this route just before Xmas...flight is only twice weekly in the winter, but was pretty full. Fares were very low (£129 rtn in Club). I'm sure in peak season, BA should make an SPU flight for at least 2/3 weekly - but don't OU already fly that route in the summer?
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: LGW-OPO-LGW,LHR-FCO-CTA-LIN-LCY,LHR-AMS-GRQ-SEN,LTN-CPH-LHR-ORD

flycro

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Easyjet have upto 3 flights a day from London (LGW and STN) Wizz from LTN, Norwegian from LGW (albeit once weekly) and Croatian from LGW and LHR, so pretty good competition. BA couldn't make it work years ago with little competition. I know Croatia is far busier now and will join the EU shortly, but perhaps BA just cant be competitive?