max999
Topic Author

Drunk Passenger Tied Up With Tape (Pic)

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:50 pm

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/04/phot..._one_way_to_deal_with_unruly_a.php

Quote:
According to a Port Authority spokesman, an "apparently intoxicated" man who was acting "in a disorderly fashion" was restrained by passengers and crew members on an Icelandair flight from Reykjavik, Iceland to JFK on Thursday afternoon.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

nclmedic

RE: Drunk Passenger Tied Up With Tape (Pic)

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Mmmm, not totally sure this construes 'reasonable restraint' but then who knows the circumstances I suppose. Certainly gagging is not considered legal in the UK, and raises a few safety concerns of its own!

Can also make out that the passenger is actually lashed with tape to the seat which is clear safety infringement as he'd be powerless to escape in an emergency....

toobz

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:56 pm

lol...that's baaaaaad. I wonder who had the honor of taping him to the chair.

RussianJet

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Quoting nclmedic (Reply 1):
Certainly gagging is not considered legal in the UK, and raises a few safety concerns of its own!

That was my first thought too - he may have been noisy or foul-mouthed, whatever, but taping his mouth is not a good idea.

Can also make out that the passenger is actually lashed with tape to the seat which is clear safety infringement as he'd be powerless to escape in an emergency....

That may well have been necessary, possibly the lesser of two evils....
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

mmedford

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:58 pm

he'll be fine... With enough time to sober up, he was probably calm upon landing.

I'm even more surprised he lacks any scars or markings, in that picture...
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

max999
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm sure some people would like to do the same for screaming babies!

[Edited 2013-01-04 09:01:40]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

tonystan

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Not quite the restraint kit I'm familiar with but ya know what......he clearly did something to deserve it so no sympathy what so ever!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Mmmm, not totally sure this construes 'reasonable restraint' but then who knows the circumstances I suppose. Certainly gagging is not considered legal in the UK, and raises a few safety concerns of its own!

Well, I would hog-tie him (hands to the feet on the back) and dump him upside down in a lav if he is still being a nuisance. No mercy with violent drunkards.

The purpose of tying him up in first place is to prevent him from getting out of his seat. IMO his personal risk. Get drunk on a plane and cause trouble you might not get out if it catches fire. As per the newspaper article he attacked and choked a woman, so no sympathy.

And having seen an Icelandic captain restrain a drunk passenger, who threatened to blow up the plane with a bomb, after landing until he could be handed over to the police I have noticed that those guys still have something of a viking mentality.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

okay

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:07 pm

as tragic-comic the picture is, it does raise some concerns in my mind. I understand feelings got heated among the passengers and the crew, but indeed the crew should have realized that gagging someone is not the right procedure. Just the fact that the guy was intoxicated should make one realize that the excess alcohol might need to come out, by throwing up. The situation could have resulted in the guy throwing up, but not being able to let it out of his mouth, thus choking on his own vomit. The actions of the crew should be revised here, in my opinion.

okAY

N505fx

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Would have been better/funnier if they "Flamingoed" him and then attached him to the seat or galley. I guess in flight, it is captains discretion - which I totally agree with in this case - especially if he was in the act of a felony - which choking a woman out would be.

ushermittwoch

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Two things that I found interesting....

#1: Nice looking IFE.

#2:

Quote:
The Port Authority spokesman confirmed that the passenger, whose name has not been released, was transported to a local Queens hospital after the flight landed, but local authorities did not feel it warranted charges. They added that these types of incidents happen "once in a while, but not that often."

Really? The dude got really lucky imho.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:30 pm

I remember having read a while ago about some obnoxious, drunken passenger, who annoyed the whole aircrafdt, until two burly Hell´s Angels type passengers from a few rows further back politely asked the FA, if they could swap to the two empty seats left and right of said passenger. Instant peace for the rest of the flight after they took their seats.

Jan

Unflug

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 pm

It most probably was necessary to tie him up as they did. I'm OK with that.

I'm not so sure if it is OK to publish the photo clearly showing his face: whatever he did I think that might infringe his personal rights.

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:45 pm

Quoting Unflug (Reply 12):
I'm not so sure if it is OK to publish the photo clearly showing his face: whatever he did I think that might infringe his personal rights.

Then he shouldn´t have made an @ss out of himself in a public place. Though luck.

Jan

stlgph

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Sorry - this is just awesome. Another reason to love Icelandair.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

plateman

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 3):
That was my first thought too - he may have been noisy or foul-mouthed, whatever, but taping his mouth is not a good idea.

article says he was spitting on multiple people, so I think it is a good idea
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

SCQ83

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Would he able to sue Icelandair? It looks like he has reasons to!

longhauler

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:06 pm

I had to chuckle at this picture, then I had to dive into our Flight Ops Manual.

It clearly states that while restraint may be necessary, at no time may the person be attached to the aircraft in any way. This is for the safety considerations mentioned above.

This must have been a real bad case!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

plateman

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Can anyone advise .. since the jet is flagged in Iceland and was landing in US, what laws apply? American or Icelandic?

And off topic but let's say a US Airways flight CLT-CDG diverts to LHR, whose laws then?
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

eaa3

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Quoting okAY (Reply 8):
as tragic-comic the picture is, it does raise some concerns in my mind. I understand feelings got heated among the passengers and the crew, but indeed the crew should have realized that gagging someone is not the right procedure. Just the fact that the guy was intoxicated should make one realize that the excess alcohol might need to come out, by throwing up. The situation could have resulted in the guy throwing up, but not being able to let it out of his mouth, thus choking on his own vomit. The actions of the crew should be revised here, in my opinion.

The reason they covered his mouth is because he was spitting at people.

Icelandair didn't publish the photo but rather one of the passengers put this photo on Facebook

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 16):
Would he able to sue Icelandair? It looks like he has reasons to!

I doubt he could sue Icelandair. When you're flying the captain is given certain executive powers over passengers. One of the things that can do is have you restrained. It's much like the police can restrain you if there's reason to and no one would think of suing the police if the force is reasonable.

They probably deem it to be a bigger danger to the aircraft and passengers to not tie him to the chair.

[Edited 2013-01-04 10:22:28]

kgaiflyer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Quoting mmedford (Reply 4):
he'll be fine... With enough time to sober up, he was probably calm upon landing.

Sweet !

I do keep a roll of duct tape in my checked luggage.

Unfortunately, I'm the one who usually becomes the 'passenger from h*ll'   

ordwaw

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Quoting plateman (Reply 18):
Can anyone advise .. since the jet is flagged in Iceland and was landing in US, what laws apply? American or Icelandic?

And off topic but let's say a US Airways flight CLT-CDG diverts to LHR, whose laws then?

We had a similar discussion on another thread and the conclusion was that it was jurisdiction of the airport the plane lands in / is diverted to. Someone made a comment that a court in Ireland saw quite a few such instances from TATL fights. So in the case of Icelandic here it would be NYC and US courts, and in the CLT-CDG above it would be LHR and UK court system.

Maverick623

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:08 pm

You don't have "personal rights" in a public setting, unless the photo is being used for non-news commercial purposes.

Both, although in practice (and probably confirmed in the treaties signed) the country the aircraft lands at would handle the prosecution. Interesting though, in this case, that the Queens DA decided to not press charges... probably to allow a swift deportation.

Mmmm, not totally sure this construes 'reasonable restraint'

As long as he was closely monitored for signs of vomiting and other distress, there's nothing legally wrong with the gag. He does not have the right to be able to commit assault by spitting on and choking people, nor do people not have the right to take the steps necessary to stop the attack.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Gatorman96

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:20 pm

I'll echo others sentiments, but if someone is a safety risk, especially on an aircraft where their actions can affect hundreds of other people, said person deserves any punishment they get. The key is to safeguard the aircraft. He wasn't gagged and taped to a seat for fun.
Cha brro

bwest

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm

I can sympathise with the pax and crew tying up the drunkard, but they've taken it too far. If there's an emergency, however unlikely, this guy has little or no chance of getting out of the plane. Also, drunk people tend to fall asleep and can vomit while sleeping without waking up. He'd suffocate, and could be dead before anybody notices.
Ofcourse it's easy to judge from the sideline. But ideally, the guy should've been tied up and then strapped in his chair with the seatbelt, and never ever obstruct somebody's mouth.
I love my Airport Job! :)

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Quoting Gatorman96 (Reply 23):
The key is to safeguard the aircraft. He wasn't gagged and taped to a seat for fun.

You forgot to safeguard the other passengers as well. Saliva is a biohazard and can carry infectious diseases. The alternative would be to have a burly bloke tell him to stop spitting saliva or he´d be spitting teeth next.

Jan

Maverick623

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):
The alternative would be to have a burly bloke tell him to stop spitting saliva or he´d be spitting teeth next.

Which would make things worse, as he'd then be spitting blood.  
Quoting Gatorman96 (Reply 23):
said person deserves any punishment they get.

I disagree. This is not about punishment, this is about stopping dangerous behavior. The restraint is not a punitive measure, it is a preventative one.

CRJ900

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 11):
I remember having read a while ago about some obnoxious, drunken passenger, who annoyed the whole aircrafdt, until two burly Hell´s Angels type passengers from a few rows further back politely asked the FA, if they could swap to the two empty seats left and right of said passenger. Instant peace for the rest of the flight after they took their seats.

Haha  That was just a brilliant idea. But what do you do when the unruly pax is a burly HA's type?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Gatorman96

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):
You forgot to safeguard the other passengers as well. Saliva is a biohazard and can carry infectious diseases. The alternative would be to have a burly bloke tell him to stop spitting saliva or he´d be spitting teeth next.

Oh, no question! Sorry, I should've been more specific instead of lumping passengers into the word aircraft. I in fact prefer your second option. The captain should have circled over the Atlantic and given each passenger a free shot, Airplane style:

Cha brro

eaa3

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Quoting bwest (Reply 24):
I can sympathise with the pax and crew tying up the drunkard, but they've taken it too far. If there's an emergency, however unlikely, this guy has little or no chance of getting out of the plane. Also, drunk people tend to fall asleep and can vomit while sleeping without waking up. He'd suffocate, and could be dead before anybody notices.

According to the news there was one or two flight attendant watching over him at all times.

KC135Hydraulics

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Everyone here at work just got a laugh at this dude's expense. NO sympathy for him whatsoever. I'll bet he never does that again.
MSgt, USAF
KC-135R / C-17A Pneudraulic Systems Mechanic Supervisor

Btblue

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Not sure about taping his mouth up. The rest of him absolutely but you're on dodgy ground if you tape his gob shut. He could hyperventilate and have a heart attack. If he's an alcoholic/dependent, asthmatic or has an underlying cardiac condition then it is possible.

Taping him to a seat also - a slight over reaction possibly? Emergency landing and it's every man for himself.

I know he is a risk but it looks to me that taping the hands and legs is ample enough. Slightly heavy handed by the crew despite him being drunk and disorderly.
146/2/3 737/2/3/4/5/7/8/9 A320 1/2/18/19/21 DC9/40/50 DC10/30 A300/6 A330/2/3 A340/3/6 A380 757/2/3 747/4 767/3/4 787 77

Viscount724

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 pm

American laws, at least once the aircraft lands.

British laws.

manny

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Maybe he even enjoyed it.

winstonlegthigh

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Echoing the concerns about safety. I'm in no way defending the actions of a drunk, but he's screwed if a situation requiring a quick exit should have arisen (which thankfully, didn't happen). If he wasn't arrested for what he did, then I get the feeling that the allegations against him may have been over-exaggerated*. If I were Icelandair, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a lawsuit.

* i.e. "spitting at people" may have just been a speck of saliva expelled while he was yelling or struggling to resist restraint, or perhaps merely slobbering on himself. If he actually spit at someone, it's simple assault- he would definitely find himself in the clink after he was done sobering up at the hospital.
Never has gravity been so uplifting.

eaa3

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Quoting btblue (Reply 31):
Not sure about taping his mouth up. The rest of him absolutely but you're on dodgy ground if you tape his gob shut. He could hyperventilate and have a heart attack. If he's an alcoholic/dependent, asthmatic or has an underlying cardiac condition then it is possible.

Yeah but what are you supposed to do if he's spitting at people in a full plane.

Maverick623

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:11 pm

He could hyperventilate and have a heart attack.
If he's an alcoholic/dependent, asthmatic or has an underlying cardiac condition then it is possible.

Tough cookies. He shouldn't have been choking and spitting on people.

Taping him to a seat also - a slight over reaction possibly? Emergency landing and it's every man for himself.

In his state, it's unlikely he'd get out on his own anyways, and would probably knock people over and block the aisles in a panic.

I know he is a risk but it looks to me that taping the hands and legs is ample enough. Slightly heavy handed by the crew despite him being drunk and disorderly.

Have you ever dealt with someone who downs a whole bottle of liquor in a couple of hours? I can assure you that "drunk and disorderly" don't even begin to describe what they're capable of.

And if you read the article, you would know he was trying to choke someone. That goes from simple D&D to Aggravated Battery.

Unflug

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 19):
Icelandair didn't publish the photo but rather one of the passengers put this photo on Facebook

I didn't say Icelandair was at fault regarding the picture.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 22):
You don't have "personal rights" in a public setting, unless the photo is being used for non-news commercial purposes.

Depends on the law in question. If German law was applicable he could sue the gothamist for publishing this foto and he would win without doubt. US law is more liberal in this regard.

eaa3

Quoting winstonlegthigh (Reply 34):
Echoing the concerns about safety. I'm in no way defending the actions of a drunk, but he's screwed if a situation requiring a quick exit should have arisen (which thankfully, didn't happen). If he wasn't arrested for what he did, then I get the feeling that the allegations against him may have been over-exaggerated*. If I were Icelandair, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a lawsuit.

But I think it's pretty standard on any airline for someone being disorderly to be handcuffed (with plastic restraints usually). If you're handcuffed and strapped into your seat you can't get up and leave in an emergency. The point of restraining someone is for that person not to be able to get up on his own i.e. in an emergency a restrained person can't get out.

Quoting winstonlegthigh (Reply 34):
* i.e. "spitting at people" may have just been a speck of saliva expelled while he was yelling or struggling to resist restraint, or perhaps merely slobbering on himself. If he actually spit at someone, it's simple assault- he would definitely find himself in the clink after he was done sobering up at the hospital.

He spit repeatedly at people and was trying to fight people.

N505fx

Not sure about taping his mouth up. The rest of him absolutely but you're on dodgy ground if you tape his gob shut.

Awww....come on now, whats wrong with a little "frontier justice"? You choke someone -> your hands get immobilized. You get out of your seat when a uniformed member of the crew tells you to sit -> you get restrained to your seat. You spit on someone -> your mouth gets immobilized

winstonlegthigh

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 36):
And if you read the article, you would know he was trying to choke someone. That goes from simple D&D to Aggravated Battery.

In which case he would have been arrested, which he was not. Wouldn't be surprised if "choking" wasn't quite an accurate description of what he was doing.

:shrugs:

I wasn't there, just speculating.
Never has gravity been so uplifting.

Btblue

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 35):

Yeah but what are you supposed to do if he's spitting at people in a full plane.

Move him to the seat next to the window. Move him to an area of the aircraft where he will not trouble other passengers.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 36):

Have you ever dealt with someone who downs a whole bottle of liquor in a couple of hours? I can assure you that "drunk and disorderly" don't even begin to describe what they're capable of.

I see your point but there have been no charges brought against the man. And even so, taping his mouth up is not necessary.

And as for spitting, he could have been moved to the window. I wouldn't tape his mouth up for fear of suffocation.

Saying this, he could have avoided all of the above by behaving like thankfully the majority of pax.
146/2/3 737/2/3/4/5/7/8/9 A320 1/2/18/19/21 DC9/40/50 DC10/30 A300/6 A330/2/3 A340/3/6 A380 757/2/3 747/4 767/3/4 787 77

Btblue

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:20 pm

On a side note... what is that outside of the window. It's surely not the wing.

ushermittwoch

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 35):
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

eaa3

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Here's a news story about the incident that interviews one of the passengers. Most of the news story is in English as they interview the American passenger that took one of the photos. It explains the situation pretty well.

http://www.visir.is/section/MEDIA99&...A93DF9-30C5-417A-BCB6-0F67A6A9C9DF

glideslope

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Going to get very ugly. Not much space below the nostrils to breath. Plus the taping to the chair!! Oh My!   

Edit: Looks like they wedged an object under the tape between his lips to allow airflow.  crossfingers 

[Edited 2013-01-04 12:27:19]
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

coachclass

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:25 pm

I think the mouth taping of an intoxicated person is very dangerous, even if he's being watched since if he throws up--which he can't tell any one he's going to--will go right into his lungs and asphyxiate him. By the the time someone notices and takes off the tape, it may well be too late. Death by aspiration is common for drug and alcohol intoxication. What a difficult situation for any airline.

Maverick623

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Quoting Unflug (Reply 37):
If German law was applicable he could sue the gothamist for publishing this foto and he would win without doubt.

Just curious, is it because the Gothamist is a commercial entity, or are you not allowed to publish photos anywhere of anyone without their explicit permission?

Quoting winstonlegthigh (Reply 40):
In which case he would have been arrested, which he was not.
Quoting btblue (Reply 41):

I see your point but there have been no charges brought against the man.

Charges can only be brought if the victim presses charges, or if a police officer witnessed the assault. It's likely nobody wanted to bother with going to court, filling out paperwork, etc..

As far as any other (less serious) charges, as I said, it's likely the DA is either going to let the FBI deal with it or just speed up the deportation (if he wasn't a US citizen).

eaa3

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 47):

Charges can only be brought if the victim presses charges, or if a police officer witnessed the assault. It's likely nobody wanted to bother with going to court, filling out paperwork, etc..

As far as any other (less serious) charges, as I said, it's likely the DA is either going to let the FBI deal with it or just speed up the deportation (if he wasn't a US citizen).

The airline can also press charges. But a decision like that probably takes longer than just a couple of hours.

tonystan

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:35 pm

I am curious by the number of comments made by people suggesting its wrong to have a disruptive passenger tied down to the aircraft in the event of an emergency!

But that's what Restraint IS!!!!!

BA for example of a rather significant restraint kit which the crew undergo training on annually. It contains a very strong pair of quick cuffs (crew are trained in restraining manoeuvres so don't mess with them) and a number of straps used to physically fasten the individual to the seat including one which would even tie his/her feet to the seat in front.

HOWEVER

There is also a quick cutter knife which can be used by a crew member or person nearby to rapidly slice through the straps and release the person in the event of a emergency. I'm sure there was a similar cutting device on board Icelandair.

At the end of the day, if you act the maggot at 32000 you've already endangered that aircraft so you don't deserve any freedom.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.