And all this started from an airplane mechanic in ANC
thinking that UPS and FedEx are possibly
Southern doesn't have a route map. It is an ACMI/charter provider. It flies where its customers tell it to.
|Quoting LV (Reply 5):|
What would make this deal worth it?
Nothing. Other than its fleet, Southern has no route authority, special privileges or unique wizardry that UPS or FedEx couldn't get on their own (for a lot less than it would cost to acquire Southern) that is if they don't have it already. If either one of them buys Southern, it is for the fleet. We should know soon whether UPS intends to use TNT's 777s or not (I think not). If UPS chooses not to, getting Southern becomes even less likely than it is now already.
DHL owns 49% of Polar, the most it is allowed to under current US law, and at this point uses up Polar's entire capacity (I think). It is also developing a close relationship with AAWW, the owner of the remaining 51% and also owner of Atlas Air. Atlas operates 767s for DHL on domestic, international and (soon) intra-Asia flights as well as a 747 here and there.
I would sooner see DHL enter into a deal with AAWW to operate 777s through Atlas or Polar once the contract with Southern runs out than have DHL buy 49% of Southern, and that is assuming that Oak Hill is even interested in selling.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.