ltbewr
Topic Author

Calverton NY Airport Used For Sandy Junk Cars

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:36 am

Calverton Executive Airport, near Riverhead, LI, NY, has recently been taken over as the place where about 10,000 cars destroyed in 'superstorm' Sandy are being stored pending auctioning off. The airport, was part of the Grumman company and used to make military aircraft for many years has largely become disused with flights shifted to another nearby airport. A building at this airport was used to store the remains of TWA 800 during it's primary investigation. Here is a link with pictures showing both runways jammed with about 10,000 storm washed and destroyed cars awaiting their future fate. http://www.weather.com/news/hurricane-sandy-cars-20121231

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Calverton NY Airport Used For Sandy Junk Cars

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:14 am

I remember there was a thread on this right after the storm, but it has to have been archived by now.

Does this airfield ever see any use anymore and is it completely abandoned (besicdes the 10,000 cars currently calling it home)?

[Edited 2013-01-04 21:16:00]
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

LV

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 1):
Does this airfield ever see any use anymore and is it completely abandoned (besicdes the 10,000 cars currently calling it home)?

In the last thread about this I think someone mentioned there is still a sky diving company there.

prosa

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:13 pm

The skydiving company's still there, and in fact built a much larger facility not long ago. I would imagine that the active runway will be cleared of the wrecked cars by the time the skydiving season begins in early April. There's still more than enough room to store huge numbers of vehicles.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

bohica

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:32 pm

WARNING: Some of these cars could end up in a used car lot near you. Let the buyer beware.

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Quoting LV (Reply 2):

Thanks! I thought I had heard something was still there, but I couldn't remember.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

JoePatroni707

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 4):
WARNING: Some of these cars could end up in a used car lot near you. Let the buyer beware

And CARFAX is not always accurate. I was in a major accident once in my car and it was repaired and never showed up on CARFAX.

And in a related news story, Pick N Pull will be opening a new location in Calverton New York with easy airport access!  

prosa

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 am

Although the airport itself sees little use, in fact one of the two runways was taken out of service a while back so an access road could be cut across the middle of it, the industrial park that has taken over the former Grumman manufacturing facilities seems to be thriving. A long-disused rail line serving the site has recently been rebuilt. Whether there might be a revival of aviation activity, well that seems more doubtful. At least the skydiving facility is there to stay.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

aviateur

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:28 am

Thank you for explaining this.

A few weeks ago I was working a flight into JFK from South America. Flying over CCC, I noticed the Calverton runways were covered with thousands of what appeared to be -- from 12,000 feet -- flavored sprinkles. I assumed they were cars, but I had no idea why or what they were doing there.

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author