SCL767
Topic Author

LAN Grounds 787 Fleet

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 am

LAN just issued a declaration stating that according to the recommendation of the Federal Aviation Administration of the United States (FAA) and in coordination with the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil de Chile (DGAC), the airline will temporarily suspend the operation of its three Boeing 787 aircraft. Affected 787 flights will be operated by other LAN a/c in order to mitigate the impact that this grounding may cause to LAN's passengers and cargo customers during peak season.

Declaración LAN

qf340500

RE: LAN Grounds 787 Fleet

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 am

why would they party in Europe at Airbus? Does this imply that Boeing celebrated when the A380 had the engine issues???? hm.... Dont think if one is " bad " the other one needs to be bad as well  

SCL767
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:41 am

Tomorrow LAN will operate 10 non-stop flights between SCL and BUE and LA602 will operate with the B763.

sciurusmdg

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:08 am

They didn't really have an option... Am I right in thinking LAN are the final one to do this?

wilco737

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:14 am

Please continue all the discussions about 787 grounding in the FAA grounds 787 thread:

FAA Grounds 787 (by brons2 Jan 16 2013 in Civil Aviation)

So we can all discuss this matter in one thread and not 5 different ones.

Thanks.

wilco737

rojam

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:28 am

Wow user "g500's desired descent into an AvB discussion peeved off the moderators - well done A.net mods.

I say fair play to the Japanese, who notwithstanding their ingrained patriotism, downed the B787 despite the fact that the batteries at fault were in fact Japanese (they're from Yuasa). They bought a "certified" craft from the US-American company Boeing having met their (i.e. the US- and Jp-) certification, are are rightly hacked-off with the outcome.

Before a nationalistic cross-continent e-war evolves, let me state that the almost now-global B787 grounding is a good thing - it will probably make it the safest aircraft on which to fly for decades to come (I expect it to well outlive me!). Yea, it'll cost Boeing a chip or two but it will ultimately be in their favour.

(And yes, before you ask all the A380 malarkey - yes I've flown it, but not with the British engines - but I doubt I'd care either way. Did I question it in advance - yes. Did it bother me - no).
My 1000th flight: WVB-CPT on SW, Feb 2016....no Aer Lingus or Air France or DUB or LON or ZRH

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos