iowaman
Topic Author

Future Of IAH Part 3

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:32 pm

The previous thread was over 250 replies, so please continue the discussion here.

Previous Part 2:
Future Of IAH #2 (by iowaman Dec 23 2012 in Civil Aviation)

thomasphoto60

RE: Future Of IAH Part 3

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Wow, never seen an IAH themed thread go beyond 35-40 posts, much less 3 pages.
"Show me the Braniffs"

CalebWilliams

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 1):

If only we could get that with MSP.
Caleb Williams MSP AUS STL AMS CPH LGW YYZ

aznmadsci

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 1):

If we cut out the unnecessary fluff in the 2 previous threads, we would have seen 35 decent posts!   
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 pm

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 3):
If we cut out the unnecessary fluff in the 2 previous threads, we would have seen 35 decent posts!

Agreed, a lot of superfluous, repetitive fluff in the last two (I suspect I am a bit guilty).
"Show me the Braniffs"

yellowtail

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:32 am

From the previous thread:
"How come on BA.com its cheaper to take IAH-DFW-LHR vs IAH-LHR? Same with United IAH-EWR-LHR.
Can someone please explain to me why these non - stop tickets are cheaper vs the non stop tickets?"

Yield management.....they figure if you are willing to make a connection, you are more price sensitive.

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 4):
Agreed, a lot of superfluous, repetitive fluff in the last two (I suspect I am a bit guilty).

Yeah, me too..but that is what makes it fun.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:21 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 5):
Yield

This noob question, but what are yields? And how are they figured out?
Not every day we find light winds. What do we do in these situations? Fly.

AVENSAB727

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 am

I think it UA will put the 787 on the IAH-LHR route in the future.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

CIDFlyer

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 am

I hadnt checked the previous thread, but why does it seem that IAH for UA hasnt gained any traction as a southern mega hub in the way DFW(AA) and ATL(DL) have for their respective airlines? I was encouraged when my hometown market of CID gained IAH service after the merger and thought it would be on par with the aforementioned competing airlines with their southern hubs. UA is a very strong brand in markets like CID and others in the upper midwest and it seemed natural to connect the dots from their strong markets to the new IAH hub. But IAH never really caught on. CID is ending, the only other mid sized markets in the upper midwest(outside of major ones like MSP/ORD/MKE etc) UA connects to IAH are DSM and OMA. Contrast that to AA at DFW who has FAR/FSD/OMA/DSM/CID/MLI/MSN/PIA/CMI/BMI/SPI/GRI etc etc. Why cant IAH work like that?

AVENSAB727

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:13 am

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 8):

I think because UA is happy where IAH stands today.

COflyerBOS

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 am

CIDFlyer-

My guesses are;

1) DFW is better located to offer connections from Midwestern + Great Plains airports. IAH is quite a bit further South.

2) DFW is more connected to the economies in the Midwest + Great Plains. It's a regional banking, retail, and domestic trade powerhouse. It also tends to draw people from Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Iowa, Missouri as a place to move which helps with O&D.

3) AA has always been a much larger player than CO.

4) The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is larger. It has around 600,000 more residents.

BA0197

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:07 am

From the previous thread:
You think they'll build an Ad-Club at IAH?

As it stands no, at least for now. However there are some rumours going around staff as to the possibility of it. The old AC is still unoccupied and right next to the AA gates (and because I know someone will want to know, quite near the US gates as well). We will see if AA will reopen it after the rebrand etc.... there is also the possibly of a joint BA-AA lounge (see DEN or PHL) on the odd chance that AA is deemed to move to terminal D after its refurbishment (which IMHO, is the possibility with the greatest chance of us having a lounge at IAH).

Aren't these 77Ls?

Apologies, of course they are.

How come on BA.com its cheaper to take IAH-DFW-LHR vs IAH-LHR? Same with United IAH-EWR-LHR.
Can someone please explain to me why these non - stop tickets are cheaper vs the non stop tickets?

BA yields on this route are amazing. They do not want to dilute them and fill them with cheaper seats that could have been taken by more expensive customers, so they route them on AA through DFW (as DFW was essentially made into a oneworld connection hub). BA will be very reasonable if an onward connection is attached (ex: IAH-LHR-CDG/AMS/MAD etc)

What will happen to the old signage? Do you know, by chance, if there is any old TWA signage? Like in a storage area perhaps?

I assume it will be scrapped. There is no longer, to my knowledge, and old TWA signage at IAH. Our operations room was the last place where there was some old remains, but it has been rearranged with a slight makeover some time ago.

FlyingSicilian

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:15 am

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 11):
You think they'll build an Ad-Club at IAH?

As it stands no, at least for now. However there are some rumours going around staff as to the possibility of it. The old AC is still unoccupied and right next to the AA gates (and because I know someone will want to know, quite near the US gates as well). We will see if AA will reopen it after the rebrand etc.... there is also the possibly of a joint BA-AA lounge (see DEN or PHL) on the odd chance that AA is deemed to move to terminal D after its refurbishment (which IMHO, is the possibility with the greatest chance of us having a lounge at IAH).

Thanks for answering my question. I hadn't realised the old one was still around at IAH.
I'm not an AA/oneworld guy so forgive me but...can AA pax use the BA lounges in D presuming they had the time to take the elevated train? What are the normal requirments to get in?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

BA0197

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:04 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 12):
Thanks for answering my question. I hadn't realised the old one was still around at IAH.
I'm not an AA/oneworld guy so forgive me but...can AA pax use the BA lounges in D presuming they had the time to take the elevated train? What are the normal requirments to get in?

Now, only non-AA oneworld Saphire or Emeralds are allowed to do so. EX: A QF Emerald travelling IAH-DFW can access the BA F lounge (BA have a Galleries First and Galleries Club lounges at IAH). There is also a station arrangement where, if you have come off a BA flight and travelled in F or CW, you can access the BA lounge if connecting on AA.

Typical AC rules when travelling domestically:
Have an AC account
AAirpass or Concerige Key Member
Connecting from a BA (or AA coded oneworld flight) on the same day and were travelling in Business class (if in F class one is entitled to use the Flagship lounge) (even if connecting flight is in Y)
Are a non-AA oneworld Sapphire or Emerald frequent flyer (Non-AA emeralds allowed access to Flagship lounge)
Are travelling F on a transcon (entitled to use Flagship lounge) or J (entitled to use AC)

At IAH the rules would be the ones stated above. There are different rules that can be applicable to many people around the US (example: Transcon F allows AC access) and when you factor in the Flagship lounges (for people travelling in international F or non-AA oneworld Emeralds) it does get to be quite a mess.

Typical AC rules when travelling internationally:
Have an AC account
AAirpass of Concierge Key
Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald, as well as AA equivalents (Emeralds, including AA Emeralds are allowed to use the Flagship lounge)
Connecting from a BA (or AA coded oneworld flight) on the same day and were travelling n Business class (if in F class one is entitled to use the Flagship lounge) (even if connecting flight is in Y)
Travelling Flagship F (entitled to use Flagship lounge), travelling regular F (entitled to use AC), or travelling in J (entitled to use AC)

AA/BA have opened joint lounges at several stations including DEN and PHL where both airlines use the lounge. BA pax as well as BA elites (even if travelling on AA) get access to free better booze and better food while AA AC pax have to pay for the better drinks and food. Normal food and drink is free for everyone.

Hope I haven't messed anything up   Basically an AC at IAH would serve a puropse for AC account holders, non-AA oneworld elite pax, CK members, and people that have connected from BA (and soon QR) that would have been granted lounge access by the oneworld airline that they took into IAH.

[Edited 2013-01-18 22:05:58]

FlyingSicilian

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:23 am

thanks for that. You see the volume in your daily duties I presume, so do you think it would be popular with the local AA FFlyer base, or do they all time there business to not spend much time at Term A?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

yellowtail

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Quoting COflyerBOS (Reply 10):
4) The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is larger. It has around 600,000 more residents.

Wait till the Houston-Dallas "I am bigger than you are" get ahold of this statement

I think when we last left that fight...Houston was ahead

BA0197

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 14):
thanks for that. You see the volume in your daily duties I presume, so do you think it would be popular with the local AA FFlyer base, or do they all time there business to not spend much time at Term A?

Well, I do know that we get a LOT of BA/QF elite passengers (around 150-250 a day). We have AC account holders that ask if we have a lounge.

The problem I see with AA opening up a lounge is: What is there incentive?
Yes, it would serve a purpose for people holding AC accounts, non-AA oneworld elites (of which gives absolutely no money additional money to AA other than their ticket price, plus those pax are eligible for free better food and booze, meanwhile AAs own elites do not get access), people that have come into IAH on BA (and soon QR) where their respective class of service on the airline that brought them to IAH is applicable for lounge use, and I suppose people connecting onto AA/BA International F (Flagship or not) or J (which would be about 50-100 people a day). I just do not see a revenue incentive because the only way AA would be able to make-up from the operating cost of the lounge would be the people whom have purchased AC accounts (or bought a one day AC pass). That is the question: Can AA earn a profit from operating an AC at IAH without increasing premium fares on connecting oneworld elite and premium itineraries and from AC account holders and day pass options?

Yes, it would be nice for the non-AA oneworld elite member, International connecting pax travelling in F or J, and people coming from/connecting to a BA flights etc.. But its operating costs must be compensated by additional revenue to allow the facility to operate without being a burden on AA.

This is why a joint AA/BA lounge is so attractive. Although on reflection, the destinations that AA/BA have done that, there seems to only be one (or two) BA departures where BA sends its 3-class (772 or 763) birds (without F) to. On reflection IAH has two BA lounges, a F and a Club one. So IAH is probably too high yielding on BA's part to have a joint lounge, and the lounges would be extraordinarily crowded during the times of a BA departure. Although, now that you have me thinking, the former LH lounge is right next to the BA club lounge and it could be combined to make a larger Club lounge. That would be the only way it would work for BA and AA. AA eligable F pax would just use the BA F lounge. But my speculation is probably in vain, as we don't even operate out of TD, so I am purely basing a presumption on another.

Short, answer no. (My fun speculation of the day)

COflyerBOS

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:53 pm

The City of Houston has about 1 million more residents than the City of Dallas. That said, DFW Metroplex is bigger than the Greater Houston area by around 600,000.

The Houston area has 4 cities with over 100,000 people as of right now (Houston, Pasadena, Pearland, and The Woodlands). You could add the unincorporated Cypress area to this list.

Meanwhile, here's the count up in DFW- Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, Grand Prairie, Richardson, Carrollton, Garland, Mesquite, Plano, Allen, McKinney, Denton, Frisco, and Lewisville.

The suburbs up North are massive.

LAXdude1023

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 5):

That's a very simple and incorrect answer to the question.

I just reviewed the fare basis for BA's IAH-DFW-LHR vs BA IAH-LHR nonstop and the fares are identical.

The only way the connection in DFW is cheaper has to do with availability.

Quoting COflyerBOS (Reply 10):

That's exactly why.

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 3):
Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 4):

The amount of ignorance and lack of hard data in the IAH threads has been staggering. Not much concrete. just three threads of an IAH wish list.
It is what it is...

Pbb152

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 pm

The goofy posts by IAH59 and AVENSAB727 are the main reason that most intelligent and reasonable Houston aviation fans do not post on this or most other Houston threads. They just completely ruin the threads with their unsubstantiated posts and repeat statements and questions. It is mind numbing reading these. A conversation between IAH59 and AVENSAB727 reminds me of an episode of Beavis and Butthead.

yellowtail

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 18):
The only way the connection in DFW is cheaper has to do with availability

Yes, exactly..that is part of yield management. The more seats you have available, the lower you may have to go to sell them all.

LAXdude1023

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:00 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 20):

Ok, but that isn't really that relevant to the example you provided. BA doesn't hold back seats on their IAH flights nor thir DFW flight. The only exceptions are furring special high travel occasions. The only carriers that routinely have to hold back seats for the sake of driving up fares out of IAH (and do it routinely and successfully) are KL and (recently) SQ. BA does not.

Unless you can back it up with data, don't bother.
It is what it is...

aznmadsci

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:21 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 18):
The amount of ignorance and lack of hard data in the IAH threads has been staggering.
Quoting Pbb152 (Reply 19):
It is mind numbing reading these. A conversation between IAH59 and AVENSAB727 reminds me of an episode of Beavis and Butthead.

(While I'm still prolonging the dreams that Santa does exist for UA and IAH.)
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

iah59

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 am

On Wednesday I saw a Express Jet with the Continental livery on it still at IAH.

AVENSAB727

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 am

Quoting IAH59 (Reply 23):

Really cool, soon that name will be gone along with the United tulip.

TWA772LR

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 am

Is there a way to tell when the next Antonov, or any Soviet, aircraft is going to come in? Is there a website that tells you where and when the AN-225 is going to be?

gesubsea

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:12 am

Just checked on Turkish Airlines website this evening as my wife and I are planning a trip back to Europe in late August. I must say that Turkish is definately looking to promote the Houston service to the MAX with its promotional fares! IAH - IST for Spring into early Summer is on offer for $599 r/t (taxes included )!!! This is arguably a good option to get into Europe on the cheap if one is targeting C. Europe (ie: Baltic / Adriatic countries, Greece, Russia etc.) by way of a low cost carrier out of IST. These fares are what I experienced mainly in my college years (mid to late 1990's) pre-Sept. 11th ...

gesubsea

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 am

Just checked on Turkish Airlines website this evening as my wife and I are planning a trip back to Europe in late August. I must say that Turkish is definately looking to promote the Houston service to the MAX with its promotional fares! IAH - IST for Spring into early Summer is on offer for $599 r/t (taxes included )!!! This is arguably a good option to get into Europe on the cheap if one is targeting C. Europe (ie: Baltic / Adriatic countries, Greece, Russia etc.) by way of a low cost carrier out of IST. These fares are what I experienced mainly in my college years (mid to late 1990's) pre-Sept. 11th ...

iah59

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:52 am

Quoting GEsubsea (Reply 27):

Wow very nice please update us on your journey experience with Turkish from IAH.

shanderawx

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 am

A Japanese firm is prpoposing building with private funds rapid rail between Houston and Dallas. Do members think this will significantly impact the use of our airports?

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr...dallas-to-houston-in.html?page=all

If built, 2024 is the earliest it will be available, I suppose my nursing home buddies and I can make an outing and take it!

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:12 am

Quoting shanderawx (Reply 29):
rapid rail between Houston and Dallas

I'd say a snowball has a much better chance in Hell than this project coming true. Texas, along with almost all of the US, is almost completely anti-rail, unless it's cargo. Not only that but AA, possibly UA, and most of all WN will lobby totally against this. In fact, a few years ago, WN practically single-handed kill another proposal like this one.

FlyingSicilian

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 pm

A Japanese firm is prpoposing building with private funds rapid rail between Houston and Dallas. Do members think this will significantly impact the use of our airports?

It would be nice if it happened but will most likely get killed by WN and the land lobby in the state, the same people that killed the high speed rail project in the late 80s/early 90s.

There is still an open commuter rail prop on the books for a line between Houston and Austin that is not dead yet..officially at least.

iah59

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Murphy Deli will replace Gordon Galley at IAH Terminal E.

BA0197

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Although I personally am in favour of this move (I'm from the North and lived in the UK for the vast majority of my life), I doubt it will even be given proper consideration. This is Texas we are "talkin" about and there is a considerable amount of people that think rail would not be very "American" for lack of a better phrase. I also doubt that the firm that would build this project would build a rail line without government aid and funding. Here, people just tend to use their cars more. Look at our transport. It sucks, and the metro rail line extention is far too little and too late. Houston will never see the rails systems that New England sees, although, in my opinion, it could well use it.

Short answer to your question: No.

Quoting IAH59 (Reply 32):
Murphy Deli will replace Gordon Galley at IAH Terminal E.

Great. :/

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Quoting IAH59 (Reply 32):
Murphy Deli
Quoting BA0197 (Reply 33):
Great.

Actually, it's going to be McAlister's Deli.

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:59 pm

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 33):

Regarding the issue of trains, it has been tossed around in the state legislature before, but with WN being around much longer than that idea and since they are one of the most powerful companies in the US, they tend to have a lot of say, especially since they are based in Texas. I wouldn't mind a train since I live in Houston and go to school in Arlington, os if this train would go from Houston-Arlington, and then split in Arlington and go one way to Dallas and Ft. Worth in each direction, that would be a nice, relaxing alternative to driving and flying.

But my love for aviation and I want to be a pilot for UA one day, that tells me to speak against it. So I am torn on the issue.         

Now for metro rail, the whole reason why they made that was for the Superbowl. But they are expanding it. I think the best idea is to run the rail from The Woodlands-IAH-Downtown-Hobby-Galveston and some places in between like Metro Park&Rides, and convert the HOV lanes on the highways into tracks for the train. Then have a east/west line go from UofH/TSU-Downtown-Reliant-Galleria. But people won't do it because it's an idea that is good, makes sense, and will work.

iah59

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 34):

Oh cause I got an email from the Concession company that runs the concession at Terminal E informing employee's of the closure of Gordon Galley and Murphy's Deli will take there place.

atct

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 am

Quoting Pbb152 (Reply 19):
The goofy posts by IAH59 and AVENSAB727 are the main reason that most intelligent and reasonable Houston aviation fans do not post on this or most other Houston threads

I try to skip their posts and read the useful posts. Congrats IAH'ers on the new Air China route!

ATCT
Formerly of IAH Tower
Trikes are for kids!

iah59

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:06 am

Anybody know why AF636 was canceled today? Also saw that they put new T.V monitors at Terminal D at the check in counter and Art work around the airport.

BA0197

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Spirit is launching IAH-LAX with daily service on April 25. Departure time of 21:05, arrival back into IAH at 04:50

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=736784

Terrible AC usage. I wonder if they plan to launch another route?

I am surprised to see them expanding this fast TBH. They have entered into IAH-ORD (UA hubs, and AA hub at ORD), IAH-DFW (UA hub at IAH and AA hub at DFW) and now IAH-LAX (both AA and UA hubs). I can assure you that our loads on these flights (AA) have not deminished at all. This tells me that Spirit is attracting passengers who previously could not afford to travel by air. They are being quite bold, however I don't think that there flights, right now, pose any significant threat to AA or UA.

I just hope that they stay at gate A25, or else AA will have no where to put is AC in the case of disruption.

iah59

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm

Wow nice for Spirit Airlines. Cal Jet is now cutting off Houston off there map on 2/5/2013.

AVENSAB727

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:31 pm

Sucks about CalJet. I think some other airline will replace them.

hohd

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 11):

The late evening flight IAH-LHR has terrible loads, last week it was 130 passengers and in early December it was routinely less than 50%. I travelled on one flight and had 3 seats to myself in the back.

BA0197

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 42):
The late evening flight IAH-LHR has terrible loads, last week it was 130 passengers and in early December it was routinely less than 50%. I travelled on one flight and had 3 seats to myself in the back.

Well, yes. I was more refering to adding a 3rd frequency during the summer (where the loads are often 100% (94% average load during JUN-AUG). Yet, I can assure you that the flights are high yielding, a better indicator of profatability for airlines, not frequency.

slider

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr...dallas-to-houston-in.html?page=all

If built, 2024 is the earliest it will be available, I suppose my nursing home buddies and I can make an outing and take it!

No way in hell it ever happens.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 35):
I think the best idea is to run the rail from The Woodlands-IAH-Downtown-Hobby-Galveston and some places in between like Metro Park&Rides, and convert the HOV lanes on the highways into tracks for the train. Then have a east/west line go from UofH/TSU-Downtown-Reliant-Galleria. But people won't do it because it's an idea that is good, makes sense, and will work.

I'm glad you're not an urban planner.

The Metro Park & Ride in Houston has some of the highest ridership rates in the COUNTRY. You don't just raze them for a railbed. No way in hell. It's FAR more cost advantageous to have the existing nice coach buses running people on multiple lines today and do so with damn good frequency. This rail stuff is all well and good, but it's a money loser, it's capital intensive and the ROI is horrid. This is not SimCity--this is real life.

Moreover, Houston itself lacks the population density for light rail in almost any conduit other than the usual daily rush hour inbound/outbound--but that is NOT in and of itself enough to justify on any grounds light rail. I'm a proponent of it in some limited cases, but this fascination with choo-choos is misplaced in almost every city it's discussed.

Would I love a Woodlands-IAH-downtown-HOU-Galveston run? Sure--that'd be sweet. But it's untenable from a financial standpoint.

yellowtail

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:02 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 44):
Would I love a Woodlands-IAH-downtown-HOU-Galveston run? Sure--that'd be sweet. But it's untenable from a financial standpoint.

Make it Katy/downtown/HOU/Galveston instead please!

AVENSAB727

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 45):

I would really love that too!!

iah59

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Should make a metro around the Beltway 8 or the new highway 99. I think the paxs on the 2nd British Airways flight are low right now because its not peak season a 3rd daily would be nice competing with United 3rd daily add on starting in March.

iah59

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:17 am

IAH to get free wi fi by the end of the year so no more boingo Wifi. http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...irports-to-get-connected-with.html

iah59

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:20 am

Why was AF639 canceled today? It was also canceled last week as well. Anybody know why?