United Airline
Topic Author

Where Does/will MH Fly Its A380s To? No SYD?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 am

Where does/will MH fly its A380s to? They have ordered 6. Will they do a top up?

I tried to book a flight to SYD via MEL in March and LHR via KUL in July. But it doesn't seem that the A380 is on the KUL-SYD route. Why is that?

EK413

RE: Where Does/will MH Fly Its A380s To? No SYD?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:18 am

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
Where does/will MH fly its A380s to? They have ordered 6. Will they do a top up?

I tried to book a flight to SYD via MEL in March and LHR via KUL in July. But it doesn't seem that the A380 is on the KUL-SYD route. Why is that?

The original plan at MH & TG was to deploy the aircraft on the KUL-SYD, BKK-SYD route, unfortunately a decision was made to concentrate their premium product offering on key European routes KUL-CDG, KUL-LHR...

Malaysia Airlines and Thai Airways focus on Europe rather than Australia with A380s

Full CAPA Analysis here: http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...th-a380s-88384

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and Thai Airways are planning to increase capacity on European routes as they take delivery of the remaining A380s from their six-aircraft orders.Both carriers have opted against implementing original plans for deploying any of their initial A380s to Australia.

Hope I've answered your question...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 am

What a pity. Wonder if they will order more in the future and perhaps fly them to SYD, MEL or even LAX......

G500

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Apparently I'm the only person in this forum who thinks Malaysia and Thai will fly their A380s to LAX at some point.

I'm sure those two airlines will operate their A380s to LAX, but is going to take a while

Polot

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 2):
What a pity. Wonder if they will order more in the future and perhaps fly them to SYD, MEL or even LAX......

I think they are trying to avoid the bloodbath that is the Kangaroo route. As for LAX, they can't even manage to fly there daily (currently 3x weekly, increasing to 4x weekly in late March), so I wouldn't expect to see their A380s there any time soon, unless they want to put their prestige aircraft on a route that they are only flying for prestige reasons.

tayser

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 4):
I think they are trying to avoid the bloodbath that is the Kangaroo route.

It's somewhat wrong to assume TG, MH, SQ, CX etc are only flying to Australia to ferry Australians to Europe and back / vice versa........ (the Kangaroo route) - very wrong, firstly there's their own local O&D, the connecting traffic from their Asian networks and only -then- the connecting traffic from Australia to Europe and vice/versa.

TG & MH have large networks to distribute in Asia beyond their respective hubs - SQ, MH and TG are all big players on Australia - India (as there's a lack of direct flights), likewise to Japan & the rest of North Asia - SQ wouldn't be moving to 4x daily SIN-MEL, 2 of which A380s if all they did was service the Kangaroo route (EU-AU).