TWA1985
Topic Author

AA's New Logo Roll Out - Report Sightings Here

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Hello All,

I may be in the minority, but I really like American's new look and I'm excited to see it in person. With the website, smart phone apps and the corporate headquarters signage already updated, it's only a matter of time before the new brand rollsout system-wide. Let's use this thread to report the changes as they occur in the airports, aircraft, etc. Pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks,

TWA1985

[Edited 2013-01-19 12:34:52]
Live Young. Live Wild. Live Free.

PHX787

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 pm

I would assume within the next few weeks at the hub airports, and at other larger destinations within the month. IIRC DL didn't take long at all to change signing at the hubs.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

LAXintl

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Years -

From company Q & A.

When will this start showing up at airports?

We will start with our hub airports in North America. New York JFK, Chicago, L.A., Dallas/Fort Worth and Miami. We’ll get those rolled out first, and then we will focus on other airports we serve around the country and around the world. But it will be a matter of years until fully complete.

For those in D/FW, you may we aware that there’s a full renovation of Terminal A ongoing which is being done with our new branding in mind. So you’ll see all the new signage, all the new branding at Terminal A during the first part of February. That’s going to be very exciting for us.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

tguman

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Any news on on time frame for aircraft repaint?
Life is a Mine Field.

BlueLine

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Quoting tguman (Reply 3):

That's what I want to know.

As for branding in airports, Only the slideshow on the gate monitors show the new branding, but then again, the new branding has only been around for two days.

iFlyLOTs

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Quoting tguman (Reply 3):

Someone in one of the other threads said they were shooting for half of the fleet by the end of 2014, but I don't know if that was including new deliveries or not.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

Acey559

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 5):

You may be referring to my post and if that's the case, that's only the Eagle fleet, not mainline.

Wingtips56

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Here is a schedule AA has posted in it's internal event calendar. It says "New American Airlines Livery Tour". I don't know if this includes actually having a painted airplane there (probably the 738 from the debut) or if it just a multi-media show. Probably not open to the public, but might work for spotting. Except as noted, the locations are on the gate.

Anyway, here you go:
Tue 22 Jan Tulsa (Engineering, so that maybe at the hangar, not the terminal)
Wed 23 Jan Miami Concourse D
Thu 24 Jan Miami Concourse D
Fri 25 Jan JFK Terminal 8
Sat 26 Jan LGA
Sun 27 Jan DFW Concourse C
Mon 28 Jan DFW Concourse C
Tue 29 Jan ORD Concourse K
Wed 30 Jan ORD Concourse K
Thu 31 Jan LAX (Superbay)

After that, the 773 goes on-line. 2 are at VCV now.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines

TUSAA

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:48 pm

The new livery 738 is currently at FTW-Meacham Field getting some paint work done to the tail.

iFlyLOTs

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 6):
You may be referring to my post and if that's the case, that's only the Eagle fleet, not mainline.

Yeah I think it was yours, thanks for the correction!
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

FWAERJ

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
We’ll get those rolled out first, and then we will focus on other airports we serve around the country and around the world. But it will be a matter of years until fully complete.

Interestingly enough, FWA got a new Eagle ticket counter backdrop in the (now) previous "silver waves" design two days before AA filed for Chapter 11.

It will be interesting to see how fast it's replaced, but my hopes aren't up. At last check, the UA backdrop at FWA is still a tulip. DL, however, did rebrand FWA fast.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

mhkansan

RE: AA's New Logo Roll Out - Report Sightings Here

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:35 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 10):
Interestingly enough, FWA got a new Eagle ticket counter backdrop in the (now) previous "silver waves" design two days before AA filed for Chapter 11.

You are absolutely obsessed with FWA man. Gotta hand it to you, definitely the most adamant FWA supporter a.net has!

AA/Eagle has opened a bunch of stations during Ch11, and the ones that I'm familiar with (GCK, DRO) have a really crummy, thin vinyl ticket counter sign and gate sticker. Its like thin, cheap wall paper. MHK got it's signage pre-bankruptcy, and its a 3-D metal sign.

My hunch was that the vinyl signs were in interim solution (not just AA chastising it's small markets) until the new branding roll out. I'm sure there's a rollout plan for small markets like MHK, FWA, and the small markets AA/Eagle has opened in BK - I'm sure some of the stuff should be seen this year.

FWAERJ

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:53 am

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 13):
AA/Eagle has opened a bunch of stations during Ch11, and the ones that I'm familiar with (GCK, DRO) have a really crummy, thin vinyl ticket counter sign and gate sticker. Its like thin, cheap wall paper.

Sounds a lot like FWA's: a thin metallic-look decal attached to the wall. It replaced a plastic backdrop that Eagle had used for eons.

I'm sure there's a rollout plan for small markets like MHK, FWA, and the small markets AA/Eagle has opened in BK - I'm sure some of the stuff should be seen this year.

I'm sure that it's not a matter of if but when FWA gets the new branding. FWA does really well for Eagle, with 3-4 daily flights to ORD and 2 to DFW, and Eagle's market share at FWA last year went from 24% to 27%.

You are absolutely obsessed with FWA man. Gotta hand it to you, definitely the most adamant FWA supporter a.net has!

I'm just passionate about my hometown airport. Unfortunately, there are MANY here in Fort Wayne that think otherwise.

deltadawg

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 am

I too like the new image and logo design. However, it does not do much for the company having the rudest workers in the industry. I believe I saw a survey recently that listed AA the worst in customer service, friendliness, etc.!!! However, I do like the new logo.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

SXDFC

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 am

Quoting TUSAA (Reply 8):
The new livery 738 is currently at FTW-Meacham Field getting some paint work done to the tail.

Kind of surprised everyone glanced over this, maybe they are actually changing the tail design!   
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ozark1

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:01 am

Quoting deltadawg (Reply 15):
However, it does not do much for the company having the rudest workers in the industry. I believe I saw a survey recently that listed AA the worst in customer service, friendliness, etc.!!!

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with the above comment. Every airline, including Delta, has some bad apples. I sure wish that this site---for airplane enthusiasts---could remain on that subject instead of inserting unnecessary comments.

fraspotter

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 am

Quoting deltadawg (Reply 15):
I too like the new image and logo design. However, it does not do much for the company having the rudest workers in the industry. I believe I saw a survey recently that listed AA the worst in customer service, friendliness, etc.!!! However, I do like the new logo.

I thought the same way about pre-merger Continental. Rude, terrible Customer Service and overall a bad experience. Though that may have just been because I was going through EWR...   

Anyways... back to the issue. They have said that the hubs will get the updated signage first? Of the hubs is it safe to assume that DFW will be the first to completely change over? What about the American Airlines Center in Dallas and the American Airlines Arena in Miami? Wondering when CLL (College Station, TX) will get their updated AA signage. It's only a few days after the revealing and the color scheme is already starting to grow on me. Really looking forward to when American Eagle starts repainting their aircraft into the new scheme then they will actually resemble the mainline scheme unlike the previous Eagle scheme which clashed terribly with the AA mainline colors.

[Edited 2013-01-19 19:16:10]
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

jsnww81

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:05 am

I'm definitely hoping that AA's airport rebranding effort looks more like Delta's and less like United's. The speed with which Delta replaced former NW signage and rolled its out new brand was really impressive. United is still pootling along with piecemeal replacements and disjointed branding at many of its non-hub airports. It's more cost effective to do it that way, but it comes at the expense of a unified brand image.

For what it's worth, much of the signage at AMR headquarters in Fort Worth has already been replaced - a positive sign. The first increment of the renovated Terminal A at DFW will open with the new branding. Since the remainder of Terminals A, B and C at DFW are scheduled to be refreshed under the TRIP program, my guess is that AA will hold off on rebranding those facilities until they close for renovation. ORD, LAX, MIA and JFK will hopefully happen quickly.

AA seems pretty serious about this initiative, so it'll be interesting to see how energetically they go about rolling out the new brand. Fleet repainting is one thing - that takes time, and they've got a lot of turnover scheduled for the fleet in the next few years - but airport facilities can be done either really quickly or very slowly. Hoping they go with the former option.

Acey559

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 am

Anyone have any thoughts on whether they'll keep the AA and scissor eagle neon sign that's at ORD? I sure hope so, I love that sign.

elbandgeek

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:39 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 18):
What about the American Airlines Center in Dallas and the American Airlines Arena in Miami?

The United Center was rebranded over the 2011 offseason when the UA merger closed the previous October so my guess is the stadiums will stay as is for the rest of the season and get done over the summer.

TSS

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:27 am

Since BHM is in the process of a complete terminal renovation including ticketing and concourses/gate areas, I expect BHM will get the full new AA look much earlier than it would have otherwise.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

seahawks7757

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 am

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 5):
Someone in one of the other threads said they were shooting for half of the fleet by the end of 2014, but I don't know if that was including new deliveries or not.

It appears that new deliveries are already being prepped for the new scheme. Have a look here at a recent test flight of an AA 737-800-
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2013/...-for-american-airlines-new-livery/

FWAERJ

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 20):
Anyone have any thoughts on whether they'll keep the AA and scissor eagle neon sign that's at ORD? I sure hope so, I love that sign.

There's also a classic eagle neon sign at LAX T4. We should be wondering about the fate of that as well.

JFK T8 has a four-logo AA logo retrospective (original eagle, postwar eagle, Astrojet eagle, scissor eagle), and I expect it to be updated by adding the new Flight Symbol and updating the scissor eagle logo from "1968" to "1968-2013".

[Edited 2013-01-20 07:30:25]

kann123air

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

How about the safety video? That has some "old liveries" in the background.....
Now more than ever, moving forward with the new American.

FWAERJ

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Quoting kann123air (Reply 25):
How about the safety video? That has some "old liveries" in the background.....

And it wasn't updated that long ago, either.

I know that the AA iOS and Android apps now have the new logo. Any Windows Phone users on here to confirm a change for that app? (AA's BlackBerry app has been discontinued.)

kann123air

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 26):
And it wasn't updated that long ago, either.

True. Wonder if they'll change it again.....
Now more than ever, moving forward with the new American.

CMHFlyGuy

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 26):

Windows Phone has not yet been updated to match. Looks great on my iPhone, Droid DNA, and iPad tho!

aacun

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Quoting kann123air (Reply 27):

I would think that the safety video will be changed when we get ready to introduce the new uniforms since everybody is wearing the current one on the video.

seabiscuit

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Seabiscuit

UA787DEN

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:02 pm

Anyone know when the logos and planes will arrive in DEN?

wjv04

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:14 pm

What Registrations are being painted first?

[Edited 2013-01-20 12:20:44]

[Edited 2013-01-20 12:21:12]

UA787DEN

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Quoting wjv04 (Reply 32):
Gross...Im not a fan at all

Please put that on the discussion thread. I have to agree about the tail, but this is about updates and schedule for the new logo and livery introduction.

I wonder how fast their branding will go as compared to UA or DL with their mergers and livery updates. Until the CO merger, UA was updating logos at the speed of about one airport per year. The UA/CO merger logo updating is moving much faster. I imagine that AA will update their livery fairly quickly, partially due to all the the new planes coming in. But as for logo, I don't think it will be super fast. Add in the merger question, and this gets quite interesting.

ldvaviation

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 24):
There's also a classic eagle neon sign at LAX T4. We should be wondering about the fate of that as well.

That was put in its current location upon the completion of the most recent renovation of T4. It is something of an artifact. I don't think it is going anywhere.

blueman87

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Is N908NN back in service after its debut
B6 T5 JFK DL T2/3 JFK

TWA1985
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Quoting blueman87 (Reply 35):

Does anyone know what flights it'll be flying over the next few weeks?
Live Young. Live Wild. Live Free.

Wingtips56

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Quoting TWA1985 (Reply 36):

Quoting blueman87 (Reply 35):

Does anyone know what flights it'll be flying over the next few weeks?

Just a guess, but it could be doing the roadshow per the schedule up in Reply #7 above.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines

727LOVER

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Quoting TWA1985 (Reply 36):

AA regs are trackable on FlightAware
Love Trumps Hate

PDX88

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:30 pm

3JX is set to ferry from BFI to DFW on the 22nd as AA 9701. Good chance it will be sporting the new livery.

qqflyboy

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:13 pm

I got a quick glance at a kiosk yesterday at LGA and it had the new logo on the screen. We all know the new kiosk software was released a month or so ago, but now they've added the new name and logo. Simple, but you can see how it all fits. So all were right to assume when that new software rolled out that it was a glimpse into the new AA.

Also, some gate monitors at LGA were sporting images of the new aircraft livery and logo, but the flight information and standby lists all appeared the same. That should be something fairly easy to roll out once the software is ready to go. Also, airports like RDU will be very easy to update to the new image since all airline branding is done digitally. There are no airline specific backdrops at the gates or ticket counters, only large monitors. I was at RDU yesterday and everything is still the old AA. I imagine it won't be long though.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

n737aa

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Quoting blueman87 (Reply 33):
Is N908NN back in service after its debut

It was flown to FTW after the debute but will be routed on the roadshow starting tomorrow....First stop...TUL.

N737AA

A388

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 37):
3JX is set to ferry from BFI to DFW on the 22nd as AA 9701. Good chance it will be sporting the new livery.

So this is actually the aircraft to follow for local spotters and spotters outside of the U.S. I'm looking forward to seeing it in CUR!!! Send it here!!!

A388

JoePatroni707

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 37):
Good chance it will be sporting the new livery.

From what I have heard through the rumor mill is that 3JX will be delivered in the old livery. The aircraft has been complete for a week or two, and incase the rebranding unveil had to be pushed back, and AA still needed to take delivery of this aircraft they wanted it to be in standard colors...

Look at it this way... this is your last opportunity to see a brand new shiney silver bird! They do look fantastic brand new and polished up!  

blueman87

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:48 am

Quoting N737AA (Reply 39):
It was flown to FTW after the debute but will be routed on the roadshow starting tomorrow....First stop...TUL.

N737AA

cool maybe merger Livery Huh???
B6 T5 JFK DL T2/3 JFK

deltaffindfw

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 am

I got an email invite from AA to attend an event on Monday the 28th at gate C2. They asked to RSVP, so they could print a boarding pass to enter security.

777klm

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

the DFW website already shows the new logo at the flight information section... i know, it's not much, but it's a start  
Next flight: AMS - TLV - AMS

n737aa

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Quoting blueman87 (Reply 42):
Quoting N737AA (Reply 39):

N737AA

cool maybe merger Livery Huh???

Doubt that but it will be in TUL today and looks to be heading to MIA tonight.

Current routing.....

9675/21 FTW 1456 DFW 1510
9780/22 DFW 0715 TUL 0759
9781/22 TUL 2312 MIA 0241

N737AA

A388

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Quoting N737AA (Reply 45):
Doubt that but it will be in TUL today and looks to be heading to MIA tonight.

So these are all promotional flights, no scheduled commercial flights. Does anyone know when it will enter commercial service? What about 3JX? It will leave BFI for DFW today as per previous posts, will that aircraft enter commercial service in the new livery before N908NN will? I'm looking forward to the flight schedules of these two aircraft (if anyone can get their hands on it).

A388

freakyrat

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:43 pm

It was parked at C10 last night when we arrived from ONT. The paint job looks better in person than it does on the web.

FWAERJ

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Quoting 777klm (Reply 44):

the DFW website already shows the new logo at the flight information section... i know, it's not much, but it's a start  

The Eagle logo is still the old one, though.

glbltrvlr

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Was in DFW A and D concourses yesterday - only sign of the new branding was on the monitors. Didn't see any aircraft with it.