G500

North America, "world's Oldest Airplanes"

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 pm

"the average fleet age in North America is higher than Africa"..... ouch

Must be all the MD80s and 767s in North American fleets.

Delta, American, and Aeromexico operate lots of MD80s and 767s...

USAirways' 757s are very old too

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/north...planes-kcVxcivFTiGz2B7nYMzBGw.html

[Edited 2013-01-25 15:44:08]

Viscount724

RE: North America, "world's Oldest Airplanes"

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Quoting g500 (Thread starter):

Aircraft age is unrelated to safety. Compare the safety record of North American airlines with Africa (and almost everywhere else in the world).

G500

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:26 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 1):
Aircraft age is unrelated to safety. Compare the safety record of North American airlines with Africa (and almost everywhere else in the world).

you do understand that I'm quoting the journalist from the video right?

Viscount724

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:31 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

you do understand that I'm quoting the journalist from the video right?

I was only commenting on the relationship of aircraft age to safety, as that's usually the point most people try to make when talking about older aircraft.

KC135Hydraulics

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 am

I fly on 50 year old aircraft regularly and have never once felt unsafe. Age isn't indicative of safety as someone else mentioned.
MSgt, USAF
KC-135R / C-17A Pneudraulic Systems Mechanic Supervisor

tharanga

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 am

but if the cabin isn't refreshed and revamped from time to time, the old plane will be less comfortable.

airtechy

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:12 am

What determines the ultimate end life.....ignoring mandated life limits...of an airplane. All the mechanical parts can be replaced, cockpits upgraded, interiors changed, and engines swapped. I would presume that corrosion of the airframe would be one issue...sealing of the fuel tanks maybe.

Jim

DTWLAX

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
I was only commenting on the relationship of aircraft age to safety, as that's usually the point most people try to make when talking about older aircraft.

Not necessarily. Older aircrafts can be uncomfortable if the interiors are not refreshed. Old worn out seats do not leave a good impression on the passenger.

RussianJet

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 am

OK, please don't flame, but is it really true that aircraft age is absolutely unrelated to safety? That is to say, I fully understand well-maintained older aircraft to be safe, but I merely pose the question about how well-maintained new aircraft compare to well-maintained older ones. I ask with no expectation or bias, other than to obtain some kind of statistically valid answer.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

YVRLTN

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:18 am

the average fleet age in North America is higher than Africa

The fleet is several magnitudes larger too. The top African airlines (ET, KQ, SA, MS etc) do indeed have modern fleets, but although they are pretty small compared to US carriers, it will still sway the average fleet age significantly on the continent. Lots of national or "major" airlines have a total fleet of just a handful of aircraft.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

a380900

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 am

What I don't get is that Airbus and Boeing are selling their products based on performance. How can old metal compete with brand new models? I don't doubt that these airlines are run competently. Are new Boeings and Airbuses not so good after all? I don't get it.

G500

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:22 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 8):
OK, please don't flame, but is it really true that aircraft age is absolutely unrelated to safety? That is to say, I fully understand well-maintained older aircraft to be safe, but I merely pose the question about how well-maintained new aircraft compare to well-maintained older ones. I ask with no expectation or bias, other than to obtain some kind of statistically valid answer.

If they're well maintained (to Western Standards), and flown by a reputable airline, I feel as safe in a MD80,DC9,or 737-200 as I do in a new 737-900 or A319..

Actually I'd love to fly in a DC10 again.. i really want to do that

aeroblogger

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 am

However, aircraft age does have a strong correlation to fuel efficiency.

All these old gas guzzlers are hurting our environment.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

United1

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:43 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 11):
Actually I'd love to fly in a DC10 again.. i really want to do that

Just one left...I think Biman Bangladesh has the last active passenger DC-10 on the planet.

There are a couple of other options.... I can't tell you how many times I ended up on a KC-10 flying somewhere to do something  
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

tonymctigue

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:30 am

Quoting a380900 (Reply 10):
What I don't get is that Airbus and Boeing are selling their products based on performance. How can old metal compete with brand new models? I don't doubt that these airlines are run competently. Are new Boeings and Airbuses not so good after all? I don't get it.

I don't think there is any doubt that the latest A & B generation of aircraft are much better and more efficient than their older counterparts. Without being an economics expert, I would guess that it works out cheaper and is better for cashflow to fly around 20 year old airplanes that have long since been paid for even if they burn a little more fuel than it is to run up massive debts in this world of restricted credit availability to buy the newest generation of aircraft. Add to this the fact that unlike the likes of the L1011/DC10/DC8 (many of the last operators of these types ditched them because there were so few of them left), there are still plenty of B757s, B767s and MD-80s in active service, meaning that there is no shortage of spare parts and support systems to keep them operating.

Long story short, it works out cheaper to spend a little more on gas and spare parts than it is to run up massive debts to buy new planes.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

GSPFlyer

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 am

Fleet size seems to correlate with age. Everyone knows that most of the time, airlines must wait years from ordering a new aircraft to receive it. We also know that North American carriers are larger than most others. I did a little research, and came up with the following numbers. (Numbers don't include regional airlines/subsidies)

Airline.....Fleet Size.......Avg. Age (years)

North America
DL...........722..................16.4
UA..........707..................13.4
AA..........605...................14.8
WN.........585...................11.6
US..........348..................12.5
AC..........330...................12.5

Europe
LH...........306...................12.6
BA..........256....................13
AF...........253...................10
KL..........115....................9.6
IB............95....................9.7

Asia
NH...........170...................11.1
KE...........149...................9.5
CX............135...................10

Australia/New Zealand
QF............135...................10.4
NZ.............50.....................9.8

bohica

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:14 am

Quoting airtechy (Reply 6):
What determines the ultimate end life.....ignoring mandated life limits...of an airplane. All the mechanical parts can be replaced, cockpits upgraded, interiors changed, and engines swapped. I would presume that corrosion of the airframe would be one issue...sealing of the fuel tanks maybe.

Money. The airplane will age to the point where is is not economically feasible to keep it flying anymore. Every part can be swapped to keep an older airplane flying, but as the plane gets older, it becomes more maintenance intensive as well as using more fuel than newer aircraft. Every airline is different when it comes to determining when a given airplane is due to be retired.

AussieItaliano

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:40 am

Quoting GSPflyer (Reply 17):

North America
DL...........722..................16.4
UA..........707..................13.4
AA..........605...................14.8
WN.........585...................11.6
US..........348..................12.5
AC..........330...................12.5

Europe
AF...........253...................10
KL..........115....................9.6
IB............95....................9.7

That's amazing to think that WN has a fleet larger than LH and BA combined! I realise that LH and BA operate aircraft with many more seats than the 737, but still, that is amazing that a US carrier that doesn't operate outside of North America has a fleet larger than 2 carriers combined, each of which has a well-developed worldwide network.

Which I think is exactly the point. While North American carriers are renewing their fleets, and for the most part, they are constantly taking delivery of new planes, they cannot do so at a pace to have a brand new fleet every 10-15 years, simply because their fleets are massive. Wait until FR and U2 have been operating on the same scale for over 30 years, and you'll see their fleets age as well without being able to be replaced straightaway.

In addition, the early 2000s saw a huge decline in air travel in the USA (most of North America's air traffic) in response to the 2001 terrorist attacks, leading most airlines to suspend or even cancel deliveries of new aircraft. UA, US, DL, and NW (now part of DL) all went through bankruptcy during this time (AC did as well). So, in essence, North American carriers were not in a position to take delivery of entire fleets of new airplanes.
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

PanHAM

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 am

Quoting GSPflyer (Reply 17):

These figures are wrong, even before LH phased out a larger number of 735/733/744s last year as well as phasing out complete all Avro/HS146 jets the average was at 11.2 or so.

It should now be aroiund 10, or even under 10 years in average.

More 744s will leave this year as will 737s and new A320 and 5x 748 will join the fleet and reeduce the average.

LH and Regional hjas a total of 403 aircraft, if OS and LX are added the total makes 572
powered by Eierlikör

seahawk

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:35 am

The huge advantage of those old planes is that there is no capital expenditure. Those planes are paid for. It means you can even have the luxury of parking one of those as a fleet reserve at your hub and use it if another plane has a technical.

G500

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:54 am

Quoting seahawk (Reply 21):

Correct these old planes have no capital expenditure, but higher fuel and maintenance costs. It evens out at the end

N14AZ

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Must be all the MD80s and 767s in North American fleets.

Delta, American, and Aeromexico operate lots of MD80s and 767s...

USAirways' 757s are very old too

From an aviation enthusiast's point of view - and this is a forum for aviation enthusiasts, correct? - this is actually not too bad. I am writing these lines from China and I can tell you, all the airports here, the big ones as well as all the provincial ones - are so boring. Only 738s and A 320s. I am even no longer looking out of the window during take-off and landing, in opposite to landing in Miami, where I typically freak out while watching all these rarities in the maintenance area.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 20):
These figures are wrong

Well, let's say they are not up to date. However, it shows a trend and I find it very interesting.

b2319

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 23):
I am writing these lines from China and I can tell you, all the airports here, the big ones as well as all the provincial ones - are so boring. Only 738s and A 320s.

My last two flights have been Airbus A300s between SHA and SZX.

Please look at the daily variety of aircraft between PEK and SHA/PVG: A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A343/B733/B73G/B738/B744/B772

But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good argument, eh?

Regards

B-2319

Context

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I too would like to see a strictly statistical analysis. We all have our opinions of what's comfortable or which planes seem to have the most MX delay but anyone know where we could get some hard numbers for this?

mayor

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Better to have a well maintained, older fleet than a poorly maintained, newer fleet, I would think.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

cosyr

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:30 pm

I accept what you are saying. Everything can be maintained and refreshed and an old airplane can be as safe as a new one, but a new one doesn't have age related issues that have to be fixed. TWA flight 800 caused by dry brittle wiring, allowing a current to jump from a high voltage line to a low voltage line. That is something that could have been prevented by catching that spot in the wire and replacing it, but it involves checking thousands of miles of wiring! A new aircraft doesn't require that check, and if there were a problem with a wire, it would be more isolated and easier to spot. I have full faith in the maintenance crews in the US, and I am excited to fly on older aircraft, not scared, but age does effect things.

boeingrulz

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:39 pm

One of the reasons that there are some companies that can dramatically replace their fleets with new airplanes is that money is cheap right now and interest bearing investments are not an attractive option. Those airlines who have not gone through bankruptcy have access to the cheapest debt and capital investments are a no-brainer. How many North American airlines have not gone through bankruptcy?

bogota

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 28):
Better to have a well maintained, older fleet than a poorly maintained, newer fleet, I would think.

And even better to have newer well maintained fleets.

From an enthusiast point of view seeing the newer generation of vintage aircraft all over US airports is a delight but as business traveller point of view travelling through the US has lost a lot of its charm. Old airports with boring architecture for the most part, old planes that look old regardless of how well maintained they are, very low quality service with very exceptions to the norm, huge queues and ill tempered staff in lots of places and horrible uniform standards.

The truth is that when I was a kid the US had huge airlines with new planes, fantastic looking airports (relative to the rest of the world) and fantastic customer experiences to tell about. Things went fast down the drain post 9/11 (understandably) but it is time for you guys to stop being apologetic about your industry and demanding what the US was famous for 20 years ago, fantastic customer service and customer experiences.

Just some feedback, so do not flame me for it.

GSPFlyer

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 20):
These figures are wrong, even before LH phased out a larger number of 735/733/744s last year as well as phasing out complete all Avro/HS146 jets the average was at 11.2 or so.

This is my source for the information;

http://airsafe.com/events/airlines/fleetage.htm

mayor

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Quoting bogota (Reply 31):
about your industry and demanding what the US was famous for 20 years ago, fantastic customer service and customer experiences.

Are the passengers willing to pay for it?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

PanHAM

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:05 pm

The current active 23 747s have an average age of 12,26 years, not 14,6

just to mention one. The fleet does not contain the LH regional jets which further reduces the average. The remaining 39 737s will be gradually replaced by A32x and so on.