toobz
Topic Author

Delta Opens SkyDeck In ATL And JFK

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Pretty cool if you ask me!

Delta
We're excited to announce The Sky Deck, coming this summer to the Delta Sky Club® at Atlanta's Concourse F and JFK's Terminal 4. Created by renowned designer Thom Filicia, these new outdoor lounges will provide a unique refuge for busy travelers.
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1852

STT757

RE: Delta Opens SkyDeck In ATL And JFK

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:18 pm

I hope they won't turn into smoking lounges like the outdoor areas of other airports.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

FoxBravo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Very cool. The terrace at JFK T4 should offer some of the best views since they closed the rooftop parking lot at the soon-to-be-demolished T3.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

panamair

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 1):
I hope they won't turn into smoking lounges like the outdoor areas of other airports.

The SkyDecks will be all non-smoking.

ldvaviation

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:42 pm

The concept is impractical. A "sky deck" in LA would make sense, the ones in Atlanta and JFK not so much.

toobz
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Well I'm sure many people will find it practical and a pleasure..

AAflyguy

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Why is it impractical? Just because there's more chance for inclement weather at ATL & JFK than LAX? I say BRAVO..I think the concept is very cool, and I think many others will also. It's another amenity, if you will, to further improve the experience for Sky Club visitors at those two international facilities. I, for one, would LOVE to be hanging out at either location, weather permitting, as a sort of escape from the confines of indoor space, no matter how nice an environment the Sky Club itself may be. To be outside on a beautiful, or even so-so, day post-security is not something offered at many airports. And, as indicated, it seems that most of those terminals which do have an outdoor area allow smoking, or they really are mostly utilized as smoking areas. This is vastly different, and somewhat out-of-the-box thinking on Delta's part. Very cool..

AAflyguy

ClassicLover

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 3):
The SkyDecks will be all non-smoking.

It doesn't say that in the press release.

Meanwhile, how would that be enforced anyway? I can see smokers being like, I am outside - and so?
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

jetlanta

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 4):

The concept is impractical. A "sky deck" in LA would make sense, the ones in Atlanta and JFK not so much.

Why on earth would you think so? And besides, I don't think the point is "practicality".

FoxBravo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 7):

Meanwhile, how would that be enforced anyway?

Same way it's enforced in NYC parks. Or inside the terminal, for that matter.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

ikramerica

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Meanwhile, how would that be enforced anyway? I can see smokers being like, I am outside - and so?

Or within 100 feet of any building entrance in some cities, or within 100 feet of any restaurant or eatery in my town. The few people who ignore the law get scolded by those who don't want the stink. It's very rare that an authority needs to be called, but if there is need, the Sky personnel would ask them to put it out or leave the lounge. It's not a public place...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

tommy767

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:25 pm

Why not? I think that would be pretty cool.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

rwy04lga

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 pm

It doesn't say that in the press release.

I'm sure more than a few Diamonds have Mayor Bloomberg on their contact list. And as stated above, it's not a public space, it's a private club. OTOH, imagine someone flicking their butts onto the ramp.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

commavia

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Well, obviously weather has to be considered. (A SkyDeck probably wouldn't be exceedingly popular in Las Vegas in August, nor Minneapolis in February, for example.) But in general, I agree - this is a really, really cool idea.

max999

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

This brings up a question...what other US airports have viewing decks anymore (public or private)?
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

SANFan

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:58 pm

I wonder if any more SkyDecks are planned in the US?

In SAN, as part of the new terminal expansion (T2W, aka the GreenBuild) there is some sort of rooftop structure that appears to be a room of some kind but I've heard nothing about it and from the photos I've seen, it's really difficult to see what it might be. (And it could certainly just be a/c or other type of mechanical space.) I also know that DL has a Crown Room/lounge in the area but I'm not sure if it's being relocated or not. (UA is relocating their lounge to the area as well.)

I've always hoped that there might be some sort of observation deck or something like that as part of the new West Concourse/Green Build. Given our weather and the location of the airport, it would sure be a terrific location for an outdoor facility of some kind!

bb

codc10

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm

I think this is a brilliant idea... looking forward to trying.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 11):

Why not? I think that would be pretty cool.

+1. Something along the lines of the cigar lounge in the LH FCL/FCT!  

panamair

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Artist rendering of the JFK SkyDeck (taken from delta.com at http://delta.thedigitalcenter.com/category/220-sky-clubs)

mayor

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:11 pm

A "sky deck" in LA would make sense,

Or a "smog deck", perhaps??  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

rwy04lga

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 16):
DL has a Crown Room

They're now called 'Sky Clubs'.

nicksair

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 16):
In SAN, as part of the new terminal expansion (T2W, aka the GreenBuild) there is some sort of rooftop structure that appears to be a room of some kind but I've heard nothing about it and from the photos I've seen, it's really difficult to see what it might be. (And it could certainly just be a/c or other type of mechanical space.) I also know that DL has a Crown Room/lounge in the area but I'm not sure if it's being relocated or not. (UA is relocating their lounge to the area as well.)

BB,

If you are speaking about the tower coming up from the end of the rotunda at Gates 39/40/41, etc. That is actually going to be a ramp tower for ramp operations in the 2 alleyways there at T2. Since the current position of the Control Tower has limited visibility on the new expanded part of T2.

'2NW.
Nicholas William Reed KSAN/KLAX/KSFO

TSS

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm

No need, as ATL still offers designated smoking lounges within the terminals-
http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Passe...ustomerService/smokingLounges.aspx
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

jfklganyc

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm

New Yorkers love al fresco in all weather. Take a walk up the street in the city and every restaurant has an outdoor eating space.

Product differentiation continues in NY. Nice job DL

ldvaviation

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 8):
Why on earth would you think so? And besides, I don't think the point is "practicality".

At airports, places like this get dingy very fast. All the particles from the plane exhaust to whatever else settle on the chairs and furniture. Add a little rain and things get sticky quite fast.

And, we are not talking about a high end hotel here with the staff to wipe off the chairs and tables on a daily basis.

And, while the point for Delta may not be "practicality," how practical do you think the space will be to a premium traveller in business attire once the dust settles?

SANFan

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Quoting nicksair (Reply 21):
If you are speaking about the tower coming up from the end of the rotunda at Gates 39/40/41, etc.

No, nick', I'm not talking about the RCF (and I forgot to mention that in my post; sorry.)

This is a large, flat-roofed, rectangular structure maybe 100' behind (south of) the ramp tower and above gate 37. It looks awfully big to be a maintenance or a/c room -- it's maybe 80' long. It looks like a separate building that was plunked down on the roof of the T2W concourse. (Sorry but I don't have permission to use any of the pix I've seen so I'm not going to take a chance.)

I can't tell if it even has windows but it definitely has a solid white roof. I'm pretty sure it isn't what I'd like to be, but at this point, I'm just not sure. (And always hopeful!)

bb

rwy04lga

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 24):
And, we are not talking about a high end hotel here with the staff to wipe off the chairs and tables on a daily basis.

How do you know that won't be the case? It's an outdoor lounge catering to high value, big spending customers. Why wouldn't Delta keep the place clean on a daily basis?

jetlanta

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:58 pm

At airports, places like this get dingy very fast. All the particles from the plane exhaust to whatever else settle on the chairs and furniture. Add a little rain and things get sticky quite fast.

And, while the point for Delta may not be "practicality," how practical do you think the space will be to a premium traveller in business attire once the dust settles?

Delta has staff cleaning the inside of the clubs constantly. I think we can be sure they they have included outdoor custodial services as part of the business plan for this. I mean seriously, do you really think they aren't going to clean the furniture in intervals that would prevent soot and grime build up?

Skepticism and doubt are cute until they become cynicism. You are just cynical. Do you have your own cold water reservoir?

cokepopper

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 pm

It's not like it's sitting at the ground level at the end of the runway!
Look at the pictures. I'm sure this will be very popular with our most frequent travelers.
As usual the cast of characters come out against anything Delta does.

PanAm788

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Won't it smell like jet fuel? The air outside airports even at curbside pickup typically isn't the freshest.
You know nothing Jon Snow

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Quoting PanAm788 (Reply 29):
Won't it smell like jet fuel?

Even better   
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ocracoke

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Something tells me that if this were AA doing this at DFW, MIA, and LAX, it would be a wonderful idea, and prove to the world what an innovative and forward looking airline AA is.

But since this is another airline doing this, well, ........

Josh32121

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Negative Nancies aside, I think this is a fantastic idea. For people who don't want to smell jet exhaust or think it's too hot or cold outside, the indoor areas of the club aren't going away. I love the fact that they're offering this al fresco option! And don't forget NRT and AMS both have outdoor areas that function just fine. I think the criticisms are just what jetlanta called them: cynicism.

cargolex

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 15):
This brings up a question...what other US airports have viewing decks anymore (public or private)?

Sadly hardly any, and the attitude towards those watching or photographing aircraft can be hostile in the extreme.

I'm happy to hear Delta is creating this, though I don't have access to the sky club (I don't think, some Alaska Airlines MVP's get reciprocal access to clubs). They aren't my favorite airline, but this is definitely something I think is a positive step for customers who enjoy the experience of flying.

nickofatlanta

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:50 pm

There's a outdoor pool in the terminal at SIN complete with chairs etc that seemed pretty clean etc when I was there. Don't think DL would go to the trouble and expense of putting these decks in without ensuring they're suitable for the outdoor airport environment they will be located in.

coronado

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 pm

Maybe DL could figure out how to fancy up the observation room at MSP:

MSP's+Secret+Observation+Deck" target="_blank">http://www.jaunted.com/story/2011/2/...Find+MSP's+Secret+Observation+Deck

I have not had enough time at MSP in the last 2-3 years to get up there, but nice to see it is still open for customers.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

OA412
Crew

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Interesting move on DL's part. It sounds like a really cool idea, I just wonder how it'll work on cold weather days. Although I do know that many of us in "colder" areas of the country aren't really averse to being outside in winter, but it'll obviously be a no-go on rain/snow days.

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 27):

Seriously! The suggestion that DL (or any airline) would build something meant to attract high-yield passengers only to leave it filthy is laughable. Given the ongoing push by the big 3 to "win" New York, they're not going to do something as foolish as allowing dirt and grime to linger in the SkyDeck.

Quoting ocracoke (Reply 31):

Haha you took the words right out of my mouth!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

klkla

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 pm

I'm sure it will have outdoor furniture that can be hosed down. If the weather forecast is for a good day you have someone from maintenance hose it down in the morning and then put out the cushions and other supplies for the day. I'm sure they've thought this through already.Shouldn't be too complicated.

rwy04lga

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 30):
Quoting PanAm788 (Reply 29):
Won't it smell like jet fuel?

Even better

LOLOL I love the smell of unburned hydrocarbons in the morning, smells like....the PanAm rooftop!

nicksair

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 25):
No, nick', I'm not talking about the RCF (and I forgot to mention that in my post; sorry.)

This is a large, flat-roofed, rectangular structure maybe 100' behind (south of) the ramp tower and above gate 37. It looks awfully big to be a maintenance or a/c room -- it's maybe 80' long. It looks like a separate building that was plunked down on the roof of the T2W concourse. (Sorry but I don't have permission to use any of the pix I've seen so I'm not going to take a chance.)

BB,

Don't be sorry at all! And i'll have to investigate that further. Could possibly be the a part of the new United Club!

'2NW.
Nicholas William Reed KSAN/KLAX/KSFO

mayor

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 36):
The suggestion that DL (or any airline) would build something meant to attract high-yield passengers only to leave it filthy is laughable.

And yet, that same person suggested that maybe LAX would be more "practical". Go figure.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

cschleic

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Quoting Josh32121 (Reply 32):
For people who don't want to smell jet exhaust

Someone doesn't like jet smell??????

mayor

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:03 am

Quoting cschleic (Reply 41):

Depends on how strong it is and how long you have to put up with it. In SLC, right after the DL/WA merger, I was working in load planning and the ramp coordinator's office, under gate C-5. In the mornings, Ports of Call would have their 707 (or 720, can't remember) sitting across from us on "B" concourse. They'd run the engines up, for about 20 minutes at a time and the fumes would come right across the ramp to where we were. Didn't take long for that to become unbearable, especially in an enclosed space like our office.

Josh32121

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 am

Quoting cschleic (Reply 41):

Hehehe....surely no one on these forums! I'd pay extra for it.  

SCQ83

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 am

I think it is unavoidable that airports will get more and more open spaces.

Nowadays every single new terminal has turned into your average A/Ced mall. Yet customers in the street are getting tired of suburban malls and priorizing more walkable, open-air commercial environments (at least where weather permits). I am sure this trend will arrive sooner than later to more airports, specially to hubs competing in a global playground (or in the case of JFK, to competing terminals/carriers).

For instance, BCN's new T1 has two huge courtyards http://doorstoautomatic.files.wordpr...ss.com/2010/03/outside-airside.jpg once you are airside. Not the most amazing space today (they are quite empty and clinical) but I can only imagine them with terraces or swings for kids... probably the major issue is the commercial tenants not happy with people staying there enjoying the fresh air instead of buying in the shops.  

cloudboy

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 am

I don't care if they are just cement pads with a few metal benches. Heck I would even stand!

I am glad to see them doing this. Atlanta makes Air Travel a pretty mundane, frustrating event. Something like this where you get to finally connect with air travel I think makes traveling through that airport much more tolerable. Hopefully they can do something about the crowding at that club.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

PHX787

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:54 am

Quoting panamair (Reply 14):
Meanwhile, how would that be enforced anyway?

This is how.....

Quoting panamair (Reply 18):
Artist rendering of the JFK SkyDec

Wait, can you actually see the airfield?

And do you need to be a Sky Club member to get in?

This may be the incentive needed for me to join
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

mjgbtv

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:56 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 44):
what other US airports have viewing decks anymore

BTV has a viewing area on the roof of the latest parking garage expansion.

ikramerica

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:01 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 19):
Or a "smog deck", perhaps??  

Not at LAX. Impossible. Nor SNA, SBA, SAN, LGB.

But BUR and ONT, sure. Though not at much at BUR as in the past.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 44):
Nowadays every single new terminal has turned into your average A/Ced mall. Yet customers in the street are getting tired of suburban malls and priorizing more walkable, open-air commercial environments (at least where weather permits). I am sure this trend will arrive sooner than later to more airports, specially to hubs competing in a global playground (or in the case of JFK, to competing terminals/carriers).

I love it an HNL, but it is dependent on the climate. Would be not so nice at LAS, and most of Florida have big atrium airports to keep out the humidity and mildew that comes with it.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ldvaviation

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:31 am

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 27):
Skepticism and doubt are cute until they become cynicism. You are just cynical. Do you have your own cold water reservoir?

If I were being cynical, I would have questioned the association with Architectural Digest and the use of Thom Filicia with his Room and Board aesthetic.

There is nothing cynical about wondering about the upkeep of such periphery spaces. There is also nothing cynical about wondering why Delta is building a Skydeck instead of a club restaurant (e.g., the Cathay Noodle Bar).

Quoting ocracoke (Reply 31):
Something tells me that if this were AA doing this at DFW, MIA, and LAX, it would be a wonderful idea, and prove to the world what an innovative and forward looking airline AA is.

But since this is another airline doing this, well, ........

If AA were doing this, I would be even more harsh. I would be complaining about the choice of a rooftop deck over a club restaurant. I would be describing the design as pedestrian. I would be predicting the demise of the space in a year or so after the hype of the Architectural Digest tie-in dies down.

[Edited 2013-01-28 19:40:04]

cosyr

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:17 am

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 8):

Because it's not just about inclement weather in ATL, it is about months of heat and humidity, and cold at JFK.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos