KarlB737
Topic Author

GRR Major Air Service Announcement Feb. 4th

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:16 pm

It has been reported that on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 11:00am there will be a "major air service announcement" at GRR. The local media has already been notified according to the writeup linked below. While no specifics or hints are visable it is known that GRR had met last year with USAirways about getting them to return to western Michigan. It appears more likely that said announcement may relate to whatever Southwest intends to offer at GRR as it replaces AirTran there.

As this is Super Bowl Sunday when I am making this post in just one day we will know the answers. Your speculations or inside information is welcomed.

Courtesy: MLive

Ford Airport Alerts Media To 'Major Air Service Announcement' Next Week, But Mum On Specifics

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...lerts_media_to_m.html#incart_river

southwest737500

RE: GRR Major Air Service Announcement Feb. 4th

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm guessing SWA service to BWI,MDW,DEN, PHX
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

B757capt

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Doesn't WN release their schedule on the 4th?

I sure wish it was US launching service....
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

wingnutmn

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:31 pm

NK to start DFW, FLL and ORD?

Wingnut
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

YNGguins

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:34 pm

I don't think there is any question about it.... Southwest is the announcement.
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!

sdoyon

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Currently FL has year-round service to BWI (2xD) and MCO (1xD) as well as seasonal service to RSW and FLL (both slated to end 4/13/13).

If I were a betting man, I would assume that BWI and MCO service would transition as is, and we'd see the introduction of another Florida destination and a western connection point. My guesses are FLL/TPA for Florida and DEN. DEN would allow WN to squeeze F9, much like it has in DAY and CAK.

Again, that's if I were a betting man  

JBo

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm guessing it's Southwest as well, I haven't heard any other rumblings about new service coming to GRR.

As far as US coming to GRR is concerned, I think that idea is dependent upon what happens with the potential AA merger. There wouldn't be a whole lot of point in US setting up facilities in GRR only to eventually consolodate into the AA counter.

I wouldn't be surprised to see WN add GRR-DEN just to put the squeeze on what's left of F9's service there.

Does anyone know how FL's station is currently staffed in GRR? I imagine they have above-wing counter/gate staff, but if they contract out the ramp I can imagine WN would want to bring that all in-house, so it could be a "job creating" announcement, too.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

FWAERJ

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Quoting YNGguins (Reply 4):

If this is the case (and like you, I bet it is), I expect G4 to pack up and move from GRR and go to AZO, LAN, or both. G4 could start service from AZO-SFB/AZA (the first two Airbus bases for G4) as an Airbus destination, as the A319 can handle AZO's short runway unlike the MD-80. AZO was also a strong destination for Direct Air and has a beautiful new and horribly underutilized terminal. As for LAN, I could see G4 moving the GRR routes from MD-80 only bases (PIE, LAS, FLL) over to LAN to add to the existing SFB service.

That said, I expect WN to start GRR with 4-5 flights, similar to other converted FL stations that are GRR's size. Convert the 2 BWI and 1 MCO flights from WN to FL metal, and add service to DEN (for sure) and possibly LAS as well, and voila... you've got a strong new WN city. I don't expect MDW service because WN discontinued IND-MDW, which is similar in length.

Quoting JBo (Reply 6):
As far as US coming to GRR is concerned, I think that idea is dependent upon what happens with the potential AA merger.

I think that all new potential US flights are in a holding pattern until they decide whether to merge with AA or not. And I bet there's both a Plan A (merger) and a Plan B (backup if AA stays independent) in Tempe.

Quoting JBo (Reply 6):
but if they contract out the ramp I can imagine WN would want to bring that all in-house, so it could be a "job creating" announcement, too.

Not necessarily. If a WN station has fewer than 12(?) departures per day, the ground work can be contracted out per the latest ground contract. There is a departure-based cap on contracted ground work (I think 15% of departures). This flexibility is also the reason why WN abandoned the eight-flight rule in favor of a 15% ROI requirement for new stations (and why many of the FL station conversions have between two and five flights per day).
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

YNGguins

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 7):

When G4 announced service to Lansing, I think that was the beginning of the end for G4 at GRR... I think tomorrow's announcement will expedite the departure from GRR and the expansion of service at LAN.
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!

tjwgrr

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Quoting YNGguins (Reply 4):

No doubt about it. It was posted on another thread, and I verified, GRR is no longer bookable online from September forward on AirTran.com.

That said, I expect WN to start GRR with 4-5 flights, similar to other converted FL stations that are GRR's size. Convert the 2 BWI and 1 MCO flights from WN to FL metal, and add service to DEN (for sure) and possibly LAS as well, and voila... you've got a strong new WN city. I don't expect MDW service because WN discontinued IND-MDW, which is similar in length.

My GRR predictions:
BWI x3
MCO x1
DEN x1-2

and perhaps (hopefully) TPA and RSW seasonally like FL did.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

GentFromAlaska

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:32 pm

The story is picking up play in the SEA and ATL media outlets as well. Perhaps AS SEA-GRR or WN ATL-GRR.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

KingAir200

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 6):
Does anyone know how FL's station is currently staffed in GRR?

Servisair above and below wing.

JBo

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 11):

Servisair above and below wing.

So then there's a chance that we could see WN implement their own gate staff at least above-wing then.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

B4REAL

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 1):
I'm guessing SWA service to BWI,MDW,DEN, PHX

Good guesses, I'll go for 3 of those 4. PHX seems the reach IMHO.

Quoting tjwgrr (Reply 9):
My GRR predictions:
BWI x3
MCO x1
DEN x1-2

That's a good guess also.

I'll throw out the following:

BWI
MDW
BNA

I think Nashville is the dark horse. We'll see however!

Lastly, I am extremely skeptical of the use of the word "major" in all of this. Makes me think of cargo (not likely, no real facilities for serious cargo), an International flight (who?, nobody really. Unless DL could make a CRJ go GRR-AMS LOL!!!) or the more likely new carrier / new carrier offering with substatial service.

[Edited 2013-02-03 14:37:58]
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

FWAERJ

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 12):
So then there's a chance that we could see WN implement their own gate staff at least above-wing then.

IMO, not if there's fewer than eight flights at GRR. One of the reasons that the eight-flight rule was there in the first place is because WN needed a minimum of eight flights to run a station profitably with WN employees.

Now that lower-cost contract employees can be used if a WN station has 12 flights or less, the eight-flight rule is no longer needed.

FWAERJ

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:50 pm

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 13):
an International flight (who?, nobody really. Unless DL could make a CRJ go GRR-AMS LOL!!!)

There is already international service from GRR - AC Express to YYZ. Unless, of course, someone could fly from Mexico or the Caribbean to GRR. That could qualify as a "big announcement" and help defend against SY at LAN.

I'm sticking by my prediction of an FL-to-WN conversion, though. If that's the case, I wonder if other remaining domestic FL-only cities like MEM will get WN service?

GentFromAlaska

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 13):
MDW

At a 119 NM and 135 statute miles I think MDW-GRR is to close.

If it is a WN announcement I think
DEN-GRR
ATL-GRR
BWI-GRR

I offer DEN as DEN in my mind take on the appearance of WN gateway to the west and quite a bit closer than PHX.

sdoyon

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 15):
I wonder if other remaining domestic FL-only cities like MEM will get WN service?

From the WN Prediction Thread, it looks like MEM is staying FL, but being beefed up with connections to MDW, BWI, etc...

Quoting JBo (Reply 12):
I think Nashville is the dark horse. We'll see however!

I thought about BNA too, but BWI offers all of the same connections and is a larger station. Some routes may be more circuitous (e.g. GRR-BWI-SAN v. GRR-BNA-SAN), but I think BWI will win this one out. Not to say BNA couldn't be added later though!

ouboy79

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 15):
I'm sticking by my prediction of an FL-to-WN conversion, though.

If it really a prediction when there are facts already showing up pointing to it? LOL

Michiganatc

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 am

I heard from a handful of GRR airport employees that the Kent County Airport (GRR) has asked WN for:

GRR-DEN
GRR-PHX
GRR-LAX
GRR-BWI
GRR-MCO
GRR-HOU

With that said, I would ask for GRR-LAX too, doesn't mean I'd get it....but would be pretty frickin sweet!!

I just wish that Delta would give us a SLC flight already. United's Denver route does awesome and I know a DL SLC flight would do real well too. MSN just got a SLC flight...maybe we're next?  

Bobloblaw

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 am

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 10):

I don't expect MDW. It is clear that WN won't do service anymore unless there is local market. I don't expect the announcement is Alaska.

Bobloblaw

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 am

Quoting sdoyon (Reply 17):

WN would add STL before BNA.

kcrwflyer

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 am

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 10):
The story is picking up play in the SEA and ATL media outlets as well. Perhaps AS SEA-GRR or WN ATL-GRR.

If anyone flies GRR-SEA I will eat five large, cooked, crows.

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 16):

I don't believe in the too short argument. Isn't there a rather massive lake between the two areas? A route that short can have a very low fare and still turn a profit. I'm sure it will be a far better alternative than driving.

Bobloblaw

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:10 am

Quoting Kcrwflyer (Reply 22):

The drive between Chicago and GRR isn't that bad. Lots of Chicagoans have weekend condos and cabins in MI. MKE us another story however. I think someone like 9K could fly MKE GRR and do well.

iFlyLOTs

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 am

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 16):

You have to remember that actual mileage between the two cities by car is more like 200 miles by car and if traffic is bad (which happens quite frequently near Gary where I-65 and I-80/94 meet) can be almost a four hour drive.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

ouboy79

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:43 am

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 24):
You have to remember that actual mileage between the two cities by car is more like 200 miles by car and if traffic is bad (which happens quite frequently near Gary where I-65 and I-80/94 meet) can be almost a four hour drive.

Downtown to Downtown is 176 miles. Ideal driving conditions 2 hrs 40 mins. Now...ideal and Chicago traffic usually never happens so add another hour or 2 to it. LOL

B757capt

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 am

If MDW-GRR one thing will be sure. Southwest would be banking on connections. Very different from the business plan that made the corporation so successful.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

SLCUT2777

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 am

Quoting michiganatc (Reply 19):
I just wish that Delta would give us a SLC flight already. United's Denver route does awesome and I know a DL SLC flight would do real well too. MSN just got a SLC flight...maybe we're next?

UA did GRR-DEN for a number of years, didn't work, but DL has managed to get SLC-IND a go since the NW merger, and since GRR has similar demography to IND I can't helpe but think they might opt for it someday.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:12 am

DL is not adding SLC-GRR and anyways they wouldn't have a much dog-and-pony show media hype PR event like whatever is planned for tomorrow.

It is mostly an announcement of the new/realigned WN/FL service.

wnflyguy

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:43 am

I think it's WN service with 2 BWI 1 MCO and 1 DEN or 2 BWI, 2 STL and 1 MCO.
wnfg
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Bobloblaw

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 27):

United still does GRR-DEN and in the summer they go to 2x. It must work quite well

tjwgrr

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:04 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 27):
UA did GRR-DEN for a number of years, didn't work,

Huh? This has been an active UAL route for a number of years....

Currently an A319 DEN-GRR, and a CR7 GRR-DEN. Goes back to 2x daily later this month DEN-GRR A319/ CR7, GRR-DEN CR7 x2
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

airliner371

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 am

How long until F9 ends GRR-DEN?

AirDance

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19 pm

The Southwest Airlines Route map is showing that GRR picks up direct service to BWI, DEN, MCO, and STL. Though the booking engine is currently not allowing you to see the flight schedule/purchase a flight.

Michiganatc

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Quoting AirDance (Reply 33):
The Southwest Airlines Route map is showing that GRR picks up direct service to BWI, DEN, MCO, and STL. Though the booking engine is currently not allowing you to see the flight schedule/purchase a flight.

Wow, I thought for sure we'd get a HOU flight. Not surprised at all that MDW and ATL didn't make the cut though.

Michiganatc

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 28):
DL is not adding SLC-GRR and anyways they wouldn't have a much dog-and-pony show media hype PR event like whatever is planned for tomorrow.

There's no doubt that this announcement is about WN today. My point is that I'm very surprised we don't have a SLC flight right now. We have an abundant amount of eastbound flights but only a small amount of westbound flights (disregarding charter service...Allegiant).

The Grand Rapids Press reported last year that the #1 destination from GRR is SFO. SLC would be a perfect feeder for that route. I don't recall if United still does this, but recently their morning A320 departure to ORD was a through flight that continued to SFO.

...just sayin' (Delta)  

Sligo

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm

What is the smallest DL-family a/c that can make a GRR-SLC run year-round?

Michiganatc

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Quoting Sligo (Reply 36):

I would assume SKW could easily run a CRJ7. Think the 200 wouldn't have the range...and that flight would suck. Tall guy, abnormally low windows, 2+30 flight= neck ache.

[Edited 2013-02-04 05:21:01]

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Quoting AirDance (Reply 33):

Yep, I was going to post the same thing. The WN route map shows:
BWI
DEN
MCO
STL

Quoting michiganatc (Reply 35):
There's no doubt that this announcement is about WN today. My point is that I'm very surprised we don't have a SLC flight right now. We have an abundant amount of eastbound flights but only a small amount of westbound flights (disregarding charter service...Allegiant).

There are numerous mid-sized cities in the Midwest and East Coast that do not have DL service to SLC. The vast majority of connections can be easily routed via MSP. The only city-pairs this impacts are many of the secondary markets on the west coast that are not connected to DTW, ATL, or MSP.
PIT, CMH, CLE, MKE, RDU, JAX etc. do not currently have nonstop service to SLC, similar to GRR.

Quoting michiganatc (Reply 35):
The Grand Rapids Press reported last year that the #1 destination from GRR is SFO. SLC would be a perfect feeder for that route. I don't recall if United still does this, but recently their morning A320 departure to ORD was a through flight that continued to SFO.

I'd surprised that SFO is the #1 destination from GRR. Usually MCO is number 1 for most similar markets, closely followed by NYC and LAX. LAX in almost every case has more passengers than SFO.

Quoting Sligo (Reply 36):

CR7 or CR9. Rather long flight for passengers even on that type of aircraft including passenger confort. 3+ even on a CR7 gets rather uncomfortable.

FlyPNS1

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 38):
Yep, I was going to post the same thing. The WN route map shows:
BWI
DEN
MCO
STL

Looks like BWI 3x, DEN 1x, MCO 1x and STL 1x. Not a bad schedule with a nice gain in seats compared to FL's current schedule, though room for growth too.

Michiganatc

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 pm

I'd surprised that SFO is the #1 destination from GRR. Usually MCO is number 1 for most similar markets, closely followed by NYC and LAX. LAX in almost every case has more passengers than SFO.

I was surprised too. It was the top 10 list and Orlando was around #3 if I remmber correctly. I've been trying to find the article...I'll work on that more.

To add to my last post....

GRR-SLC is 1188NM
GRR-DEN is 896NM

CRJ2 Range: 1229NM
CRJ7 Range: 1434NM (+300 for ER)
CRJ9 Range: 1350NM (+300 for ER)
E170/E175 Range: 1809NM (2100NM LR)

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Quoting michiganatc (Reply 40):
CRJ2 Range: 1229NM
CRJ7 Range: 1434NM (+300 for ER)
CRJ9 Range: 1350NM (+300 for ER)
E170/E175 Range: 1809NM (2100NM LR)

DL will not operate a CRJ-200 on a route more than 750 miles, and is trying to get them down to less than 450 miles or less.

DL does not operate any E170/E175s out of the SLC hub.

It could be CR7/CR9 if they wanted to, as IND-SLC is currently flown with a CR7. However gateways like SEA, PDX, GEG, SFO, SMF, SJC, LAX, PHX, SAN, YVR can all easily be connected to over MSP. Plus, DTW is such a short flight to/from GRR that DTW provides easy connections in all directions. Many people headed to the west coast from GRR connect over DTW, and even ATL.

777ER
Crew

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 39):

Source for the possible route limits?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

Michiganatc

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm

PIT, CMH, CLE, MKE, RDU, JAX etc. do not currently have nonstop service to SLC, similar to GRR.

Yes, but the above airports are in a completely different category. GRR is in the Midwest, we border the Central Time Zone and could be flown on an RJ. PIT, RDU and JAX are East Coast and would require a mainline flight.

CLE and MKE are both hubs of other airlines and have plenty of other options and service. It's doubtful that a SLC flight would even be in demand there.

GRR has a huge business traveler base due to the large amount of corporations based here. Business and leisure travelers would benefit. Adding 1 strategically placed daily RT to SLC would not be that huge of a risk. (Of course I'm partial to the idea though)  

Again, I'll bring up my point that MSN just got a direct SLC flight. They are a very similar market to us, if not weaker.

Bobloblaw

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:16 pm

I don't believe that SFO is the #1 destination from GRR. Maybe for cities with no nonstop service but I'd expect LAX and even BOS to be bigger. It would be very odd indeed for any city to not have as its #1 market a destination served nonstop.

If it is indeed BWI, DEN, STL and MCO I'm not surprised at all. I knew it wouldn't be HOU or BNA as STL is a better connect hub for GRR than the other two.

Web

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Mlive has a little more info. Start date August 11.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...s_date_f.html#incart_river_default

GentFromAlaska

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 32):
How long until F9 ends GRR-DEN?

I'm not sure WN one daily flight will chase F9 off and to DEN of all places. F9 currently offers the service less than daily on Wednesday's and Friday's. If the prices are comparable in my mind it's going to come to which day and which time of day people want to fly.

F9 still still offers IFE: WN doesn't. Although GRR-DEN is only a two and half hour flight for those traveling with younger children the IFE can be worth its wait in gold. F9 also offers the ambiance of the zoo on their tails. I've seen children (future spotters I suppose) in the 5-9 age group watching intently as a bank of F9 flights arrive in DEN identifying the critters.

Flytravel

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 pm

I don't think F9 will stick on the route as there are better routes for F9 to fly. It's too much competition with UA and WN for GRR. It's not like the GRR region is the size of the CVG region.

Bobloblaw

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 46):
F9 still still offers IFE

I know A.netters place a high value on that but most people dont. If they did, AS, US and WN would never fly flights beyond 2 hours (yes, I know AS has digiplayers). The bigger advantage for F9 is an AM departure while WN's is a late PM departure from GRR. If UA decides to not ad their 2nd daily DEN-GRR, capacity wont be much unchanged and market stimulation will pick up the additional capacity. I hope F9 doesnt drop. Maybe F9 would add LAN. If I was the LAN airport director, Id be on the phone to F9 HDQ.

KarlB737
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Courtesy: WOOD-TV, Grand Rapids

Ford Airport Adds Southwest Airlines

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...ord-airport-and-southwest-airlines

Courtesy: WZZM-TV, Grand Rapids

Southwest Coming To Ford International

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2...hwest-coming-to-Ford-International