Thom@s
Topic Author

Does Anybody Know?

Sun Oct 22, 2000 7:11 pm

Hi everyone.

I happened to see something strange the other day.

I was sitting outside my house when a Saab-340 passed over me. Nothing strange about that. But then it turned left and did a 360 degree turn, and a nother and another. This looked very weird indeed. It had about two more minutes of flying time to the airport, but I doubt it the plane was circeling, because that normally takes place at a higher altitude and with less sharper turns.

If you are familliar with this kind of procedure please let me know what was happening.

Regards
Thom@s  
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

AAR90

RE: Does Anybody Know?

Sun Oct 22, 2000 7:45 pm

One can only guess and my guess would be that something happened at the airport that the airport needed a couple of more minutes before the airport was ready to receive in incoming airplane(s). Don't know any specifics about this particular airport or its environment, but one example that could happen anywhere is an airplane cleared for takeoff prior to the airplane you saw landing had a problem and aborted the takeoff at slow speed. Would take a minute or two (couple of 360 turns) to safely clear the runway so inbounds could land.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

philb

RE: Does Anybody Know?

Sun Oct 22, 2000 7:59 pm

AAR90, given the evidence we have, looks to have got it right.

I assume the airport is not heavily trafficked, or was not at the time, as, if it were, the procedure would have been either to overshoot straight ahead and return to the landing pattern via a local VOR or NDB or, if the restriction was caused by an aircraft moving on the runway, to break left or right and then to return to the approach pattern.

Last saw a 360 done, as described, at Shannon two weeks ago today when a CL601 was asked to do "a slow 360 right to allow a light aircraft on the cross runway to clear.

Thom@s
Topic Author

RE: I See.

Sun Oct 22, 2000 8:33 pm

Hi

thanks for telling.

But PhilB, you got a little to advanced for me, so I'm afraid I didn't fully understand what you meant. Are you in any way involved in an airport or airline?

Thom@s  
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"