hoons90
Topic Author

Copa Future Expansion Plans

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:12 am

CM has already built an impressive network out of PTY, and yet they still have quite a lot of 737s still on order. What other destinations would they reasonably be able to add?

Curitiba, Salvador da Bahia and perhaps even Ciudad del Este? What about Cuzco? Would FLL be far fetched?
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

RCS763AV

RE: Copa Future Expansion Plans

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 am

Santa Marta, Colombia; New Orleans, Lousiana; San Francisco, California; Montréal, Canada; La Paz, Bolivia; Arequipa, Perú; Belize City, Belize and Dallas, Texas come to mind too. There are several others.

yellowtail

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Quoting hoons90 (Thread starter):

CM has already built an impressive network out of PTY, and yet they still have quite a lot of 737s still on order. What other destinations would they reasonably be able to add?

Curitiba, Salvador da Bahia and perhaps even Ciudad del Este? What about Cuzco? Would FLL be far fetched?

BZE
TPA
MSY
BGI
GCM

in addition to a couple in Brazil are just a few said to be in the running....

Personally, I think BZE should be one 
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

2travel2know2

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Quoting hoons90 (Thread starter):

My comments:
CWB yes, but B737 will be weight-restricted when taking-off to PTY (CM doesn't have B737-600 which can take off full-loaded from CWB rather short and - for Brazil - high altitude runway)
SSA yes, flown alone or combined w/REC
Ciudad del Este, not likely in the near future, ASU frequency increase would come 1st.
CUZ, as far as it's known, CM hasn't order any B737 with the high altitude airport operation kit.
FLL may work, between local FLL area and Port Everglades cruise traffic, CM may currently be able to fill E190 most days of the week.

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 1):
Santa Marta, Colombia; New Orleans, Lousiana; San Francisco, California; Montréal, Canada; La Paz, Bolivia; Arequipa, Perú; Belize City, Belize and Dallas,

SMR (from PTY) it's a bet it'll happen soon.
MSY airport has been after CM for quite some time.
SFO if UA doesn't fly SFO-PTY, CM could but it'll need an Sky-interior B737-700 for that route.
YUL, All CM assigned Canada frequencies are used on CM PTY-YYZ. Flying PTY-YUL as scheduled charter 2-3 times per week (when PTY-YYZ-PTY not flown) may be an option but that's one kind of product CM looks like it doesn't want to deal with.
LPB, same issue with CUZ mentioned above..
AQP is on CM radar, it may happen soon as a concession to Peru in order to get extra frequencies to LIM. CIX is also rumoured.
BZE it'll happen sooner or later.
DFW Tricky one, but it could work, all depending in demand between DFW and CM destinations not properly covered by AA.

Due to bilateral restrictions, I don't see CM adding frequencies from PTY to:
Venezuela, w/exception of PZO and/or PMV,;
Argentina, w/exception SLA
And that only happening if lots of pressure coming from local Venezuelan and Argentinean governments to their respective Civil Aviation Authorities.
CM's P5 may apply for BOG-MAR or MDE-MAR, as CM can't add extra flights to MAR from PTY.

And IMHO, Unless something is done to reduce LIR flights loses, LIR may become a former CM destination soon.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

cybergus

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 3):

Due to bilateral restrictions, I don't see CM adding frequencies from PTY to:
Venezuela, w/exception of PZO and/or PMV,;

If there were no bilateral restrictions we could see 2xMAR, BRM and BLA also... I heard CM knows the market is there but they are tied with the Venezuelan/Panama bilateral agreements. Now BLA-PTY is being served by 9V and aparently they are doing good.

Cheers.
LAN Excellence in Flight

jpyvr

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Please add FOR to the Brazilian wish-list! Addition of CM serice here would help to eliminate the lack of northbound service that currently exists, and would eliminate that torturuous necessity to travel south just to head north.

2travel2know2

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Quoting jpyvr (Reply 5):
Please add FOR to the Brazilian wish-list! Addition of CM serice here would help to eliminate the lack of northbound service that currently exists, and would eliminate that torturuous necessity to travel south just to head north.

If REC loads remain under CM expectations, I could foresee PTY-REC-FOR-PTY.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

globalflyer

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 pm

I just flew from PTY to Dallas today. I was shocked there was no nonstop as AA routes the pax thru MIA. I chose DL thru ATL the other option was UA thru IAH. I know that CM is adding BOS and I could easily see DFW, SFO and maybe TPA and FLL. I would LOVE to see ATL but doubt that will ever happen as when CM were in SkyTeam they did not serve ATL.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

laca773

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 pm

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 1):
Santa Marta, Colombia; New Orleans, Lousiana; San Francisco, California; Montréal, Canada; La Paz, Bolivia; Arequipa, Perú; Belize City, Belize and Dallas, Texas come to mind too. There are several others.

I can see SFO starting 3x a week to start with a 73G.
I don't see DFW starting. AA has this market has pretty well covered. I think it would be different if CM was part of OW. I believe CM/UA has a JV from IAH/ORD?

MAH4546

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Quoting globalflyer (Reply 7):
I just flew from PTY to Dallas today. I was shocked there was no nonstop as AA routes the pax thru MIA.

AA flies DFWPTY thrice weekly - WeSaSu.
a.

2travel2know2

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 9):
AA flies DFWPTY thrice weekly - WeSaSu.

True, AA uses those DFW flights to reroute MIA connecting passengers to free PTY-MIA (Florida) O/D seats.
AA really have to be doing lousy (service and frequency wise) to see CM jump to the PTY-DFW route.
I'm not on CM's payroll.