moderators
Crew

AA/US Merger Impact: Livery

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:33 am

Dear All,

in order to consolidate the AA/US merger threads (and after input from users, which we highly appreciate) the moderators decided to start separate threads each discussing one aspect of the AA/US merger and its impact to both the industry and the two airlines involved.

Please continue discussing this hot news in their individual official threads:

AA/US Merger Impact: Fleet
AA/US Merger Impact: Hubs
AA/US Merger Impact: Employees
AA/US Merger Impact: HQ
AA/US Merger Impact: Livery (THIS THREAD ONLY)
AA/US Merger Impact: Unions
AA/US Merger Impact: Routes
AA/US Merger Impact: Inflight Service

Enjoy & have a nice weekend!

The Airliners.net Moderator crew
Please use moderators@airliners.net to contact us.

NZ107

RE: AA/US Merger Impact: Livery

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 am

Well AA wouldn't spend millions on creating a new livery, just to announce a week or so later that this US deal was going to affect the livery.. In some ways, I don't even know why it should be something to discuss. I would expect US to have no say in the livery of the merged airline and all their planes painted with the "Cubana"-esque tail.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

thorntot

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 am

I would suspect a new brand identity will be developed to reflect the combined carrier. This team would most likely be a combination of sub-AA and sub-US marketing managers. It will also give sub-AA the opportunity to "save-face" in burying the mis-guided recent livery change. "American Airways" will retain important aspects of both carriers' brand while presenting a new image to the public.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Fly United.

0newair0

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:35 pm

This is just my opinion of course, I have no direct knowledge, but wouldn't one tend to think that US Airways has already had some input on the livery and branding of American Airlines if the merger is indeed as close as it is suspected to be?

It makes absolutely no since to spend millions on rebranding and then do it all over again less than a month after the rebranding had begun.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

chepos

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Not to mention it would be a branding/marketing nightmare, the cubana/greyhound inspired livery is here to stay (at least for a couple of years). Maybe it will be as short lived as the Deltaflot colors.
Fly the Flag!!!!

skipness1E

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 pm

It would be astonishing if the new American branding was not designed for the new merged carrier. There's a lot goes on behind the scenes, a merger is a component part of the new American, it would be naive to believe that much of what American has been planning for the relaunch has been done in utter isolation from a future with US.

Changing the name to"American Airways" would have no effect on the new branding really.
"We'll take half of our name, half of your name." = American + Airways  

777way

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I prefer US Airways title font, hope they can adopt that, helvetica does not suit this new livery and American Airways sounds nice too.

[Edited 2013-02-08 05:01:15]

thorntot

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:03 pm

One livery activity I'd like to see carried over to the combined carrier....retro jets!

Can't wait to see a A319 painted in retro AirCal, Reno, and TWA liveries just like the Allegheny, Piedmont, America West, and PSA jets at sub-US.

Wonder if they will use the double-globe, red-block, or final livery for the TWA retro-jet.

Wow, we're getting ahead of ourselves.  
Work Hard. Fly Right. Fly United.

AeroWesty

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 5):
it would be naive to believe that much of what American has been planning for the relaunch has been done in utter isolation from a future with US.

Which could account for the vague timeline for updating non-hub airports with the new branding. The initial press releases talked about years to completely rebrand outstations, which some could take to mean that the door is open to change the branding yet again.
International Homo of Mystery

0newair0

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
which some could take to mean that the door is open to change the branding yet again.

..."Introducing the new new American"...      
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

A388

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Quoting thorntot (Reply 2):
I would suspect a new brand identity will be developed to reflect the combined carrier.

The new AA tail logo in fact does have something of US Airways in it so the new livery definately is designed with the merger in mind.

A388

NASCARAirforce

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Quoting thorntot (Reply 7):
Wonder if they will use the double-globe, red-block, or final livery for the TWA retro-jet.

Maybe they would do both - they did the 2 different America West colors on the A319

iFlyLOTs

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 pm

One livery activity I'd like to see carried over to the combined carrier....retro jets!

I would love to see those stick around as well, I wanna see like a TWA one and a Trans Carribean and AirCal and Reno Air. That'd be awesome.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

Polot

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:15 pm

With all the conflict with TWA employees AA has had in its past I would not expect to see a TWA retrojet anytime soon.

brilondon

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:54 pm

I am a firm believer that the AA livery was created with input from US. The introduction of the new livery this close to the expected announcement of the merger can't just be a coincidence.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

Burkhard

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:00 pm

I hope that the name American together with the nice livery of US are kept - the Cubana/Austrian tail is a commercial suicide.

Piedmont727

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:33 pm

i think that the new livery was a well planned design by both US and manley american in secret preperaition for a merger and to all hating on the anerican livery i saw it in person and it surprisingly to me looks great (i didnt like it tell i saw it in person)

BlatantEcho

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Hopefully this is a graceful way for AA to develop a livery that isn't so dreadful.

It's a great way for them to tacitly acknowledge they screwed up and redo what they just unveiled.
They're not handing trophies out today

ckfred

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Quoting chepos (Reply 4):
Maybe it will be as short lived as the Deltaflot colors.

The correct term is wavy gravy.

It would be astonishing if the new American branding was not designed for the new merged carrier. There's a lot goes on behind the scenes, a merger is a component part of the new American, it would be naive to believe that much of what American has been planning for the relaunch has been done in utter isolation from a future with US.

Changing the name to"American Airways" would have no effect on the new branding really.
"We'll take half of our name, half of your name." = American + Airways

First, AA started working on rebranding before the Chapter 11 filing. Media accounts say the rebranding discussions started, when AA put in the combined Airbus/Boeing narrowbody order. I wouldn't be surprised, if some memos about the possiblilty of a rebranding started to circulate, when AA finalized the first order for 773s in early 2011.

Second, I don't see American Airlines becoming American Airways. Remember that a lot of people, including myself, say US Air. My father-in-law calls it Useless Air. The name change to US Airways was something that Steve Wolf pushed, when the dark blue livery was introduced. He thought Air was a name for smaller, regional carriers, like Air Cal and Hughes Air West.

If you think about mergers of the past, one name disappears, including Pan Am/National, TWA/Republic, Delta/Western, Delta/Northwest, and American/TWA. Nothing survived from the acquired carrier, when US Air bought Piedmont and PSA. About the only instance of keeping something around from both carriers is the CO/UA merger, with the United name on the Continental livery.

Ryefly

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:03 pm

I think it would be nice if the US fleet was updated with the American titles for the time being, as seen in the middle, and the American fleet painted as seen as the plane in the foreground.

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...earch/photo_search.php?id=00015619

Once as US plane is due to be painted it would be updated to the silver scheme.

I would thonk this route would be a lot cheeper then to repaint both entire fleets including express, eagle, airport signage and everything else with the AA or US flag.

SCAT15F

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Dear God I hope they come up with a new combined livery. AA's new livery is by far the worst I have ever seen.

lhcvg

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 pm

I agree that this is highly plausible, but I would just add that we shouldn't read too much into that. There is probably more general talk and sharing than there is specifics of every little detail. Now that said, if my reading of the tea leaves is correct, the AA branding is sure to stay and DP can't do anything about that. So, I'd bet the shared carrier livery will indeed be highly similar to the freshly revealed AA brand. I'd bet the biggest modification you might see if something like "Airways" in stead of "Airlines" if they go that as a minor bone to US, but that obviously won't be too big a re-branding problem in the scheme of the liveries and etc.

Dtw757

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Quoting SCAT15F (Reply 21):
Dear God I hope they come up with a new combined livery. AA's new livery is by far the worst I have ever seen.

That's not going to happen. Millions have been spent coming up with the new American branding and millions more needs to be spent rebranding all of the cities. They aren't going to start from scratch now. Like it or not, the new American is here. If there is a merger, it will be American Airlines with the new branding.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

MesaFlyGuy

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:15 pm

Like I said in the other thread, I hope the livery is tweaked a little bit, only because AA degraded the American flag by taking the stars off of it. I honestly feel that it isn't right of them to do that escpecially when they are AMERICAN Airlines.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

SXDFC

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

What will the fate be of the US Airways retrojets, sport themed planes, and of course AA's retrojet? I would imagine the cancer awareness plane(s) would stick around for a bit..
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

aajfksjubklyn

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm

I did read that Horton called Parker the night before the logo was reavealed. Parker stated he was happy.
I dont suspect any USAIR references.....I can almost guarantee this.

PHLBOS

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 24):
only because AA degraded the American flag by taking the stars off of it. I honestly feel that it isn't right of them to do that escpecially when they are AMERICAN Airlines.

And how is that different from US (an abbreviation for the United States) Airways showing a generic pattern (w/no stars) of the American flag?

Quoting Ryefly (Reply 20):
I think it would be nice if the US fleet was updated with the American titles for the time being, as seen in the middle, and the American fleet painted as seen as the plane in the foreground.

I agree w/you regarding the first two 'interim' schemes. However, the foreground scheme should have an eagle on the tail.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

ukoverlander

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 pm

I doubt it will happen but it would be nice if at least they redesigned the tail logo for the new combined airline. The AA rebrand is one of the most hideous and gaudy abberations to be wheeled out in a long time, lacking in both taste and class. Very sad after the old AA livery which is an absolute classic.

deltaflyertoo

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 27):
I did read that Horton called Parker the night before the logo was reavealed. Parker stated he was happy.
I dont suspect any USAIR references.....I can almost guarantee this.

Too add, Parker has also been vocal in the media that he was asked or given no opportunity for any imput on the new AA rebrand. To me that was interesting. It also was hint then that merger was on its way. That said supposedly Parker is going to be the head of new combined airline and w/ that statement out there I'd guess there is 50/50 chance of yet another rebrand (one can hope).

crAAzy

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Given the raises and additional payouts that the employee groups are going to be getting if a merger goes through I don't see how it would make any sense for the new management group to spend additional money on another new livery so soon.

If the new management group decides to spend more money on this again I'd be a little worried - hopefully the Board would decide against this move.

coachclass

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 24):
because AA degraded the American flag by taking the stars off of it.

Not only that, but there are no blue stripes on the flag; only a blue background for the white stars.

I e-mailed to AA my dislike of the new livery (the tail in particular) and received a form letter e-mail reply rather quickly, defending it. I think it's clear that a lot of people contacted AA and told them of their dislike of the new livery. Now, rather than losing face, maybe as has been said by others, they'll take the opportunity of the merger to say that they're going to tweak the livery to reflect the merger.

ckfred

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Quoting SCAT15F (Reply 21):

Worse than Hughes Air West? That livery was solid lemon yellow with purple trim. The font was garish late 60s/early 70s. When the planes were dirty, they were even uglier.

FWAERJ

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 19):

The correct term is wavy gravy.

The official DL term was "Colors in Motion".

Which makes me think that if Parker likes it and is in control of the new AA/US, the new AA identity will be the surviving one. Even if you hate the new AA livery, the ball's already in motion - why change it for the second time in less than six months?

As for AA's quote that it would take years to rebrand outstations: I think they may have had a merger in mind for the timeframe. First, they'll rebrand the hubs, then the larger outstations with both AA and US, then the US/US Express-only and smaller US/AA outstations. The smaller AA/Eagle-only outstations will probably be rebranded last. For example, Eagle-only FWA got a new ticket counter backdrop two days before AA filed for Chapter 11. And last I checked, UA still hasn't changed their FWA backdrop from the tulip to the globe.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

cargolex

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 34):
Even if you hate the new AA livery, the ball's already in motion - why change it for the second time in less than six months?

Better to look silly for six weeks than for years on end. The new livery is a crime against graphic design, and a spectacular waste of resources on the part of existing AA management. It deserves the glue factory, and better to rectify the mistake than to persist with it to try and save face. What good is saving face if you're dressed in a clown suit?

deltaflyertoo

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Quoting Cargolex (Reply 35):

Better to look silly for six weeks than for years on end

Agreed. Also only a few planes have been painted. And finally, remember the general public really doesn't care (like we do here)...so why not do it for aesthetic detail sake and peeps will forget this one within a week.

Also to those who cite costs, I think those include the roll of airport signage system wide (which really hasn't started so again there's time). To get a new livery and color scheme alone would be less than seven figures-I think they could afford that.

etops1

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Parker never said he was " happy " . I for one think us management is not too fond f the scheme . Wether it will change remains to be seen .

AA94

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Quoting etops1 (Reply 37):
Parker never said he was " happy " . I for one think us management is not too fond f the scheme . Wether it will change remains to be seen .

It was officially praised by US Airways.

Quote:
US Airways praised the "compelling result" of the redesign, as spokesman Ed Stewart put it.
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

AA94

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 1):
Well AA wouldn't spend millions on creating a new livery, just to announce a week or so later that this US deal was going to affect the livery.. In some ways, I don't even know why it should be something to discuss. I would expect US to have no say in the livery of the merged airline and all their planes painted with the "Cubana"-esque tail.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 1):
I would suspect a new brand identity will be developed to reflect the combined carrier. This team would most likely be a combination of sub-AA and sub-US marketing managers. It will also give sub-AA the opportunity to "save-face" in burying the mis-guided recent livery change. "American Airways" will retain important aspects of both carriers' brand while presenting a new image to the public.

Official comments from AA, US, and Futurebrand dispute this. Take those however you want. The AA rebranding started before US was even a blip on the radar, and I believe that US had absolutely no say in AA's new branding. They're competitors. Like much of the media, you are assuming that US/AA are merging, which I believe is the wrong assumption.

Also, "American Airways" sounds terrible.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 19):
First, AA started working on rebranding before the Chapter 11 filing. Media accounts say the rebranding discussions started, when AA put in the combined Airbus/Boeing narrowbody order. I wouldn't be surprised, if some memos about the possiblilty of a rebranding started to circulate, when AA finalized the first order for 773s in early 2011.

Second, I don't see American Airlines becoming American Airways. Remember that a lot of people, including myself, say US Air. My father-in-law calls it Useless Air. The name change to US Airways was something that Steve Wolf pushed, when the dark blue livery was introduced. He thought Air was a name for smaller, regional carriers, like Air Cal and Hughes Air West.

If you think about mergers of the past, one name disappears, including Pan Am/National, TWA/Republic, Delta/Western, Delta/Northwest, and American/TWA. Nothing survived from the acquired carrier, when US Air bought Piedmont and PSA. About the only instance of keeping something around from both carriers is the CO/UA merger, with the United name on the Continental livery.

Quoting Ryefly (Reply 20):

Yuck.

Quoting dtw757 (Reply 23):
That's not going to happen. Millions have been spent coming up with the new American branding and millions more needs to be spent rebranding all of the cities. They aren't going to start from scratch now. Like it or not, the new American is here. If there is a merger, it will be American Airlines with the new branding.

If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

Independence76

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 pm

That is false. The reveal event was purely an AMR/AA production in which Horton stated twice that day that "US Airways had absolutely no part in the rebranding process."

So far, extremely few paperwork has been produced regarding logo and livery licensing agreements. AMR is slow to get this thing outside of the company and the odds of Parker being in-the-know before the reveal are virtually zero.

YYZbound

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Some of the responses on here have a wee too much estrogen....but I digress...

Complete side note...does anybody remember the very short-lived paint scheme USAir was going to adopt when they bought PSA, before the Piedmont merger? I believe there were two planes painted...a BAE-146 and a 737.

It consisted of a lot of busy stripes on the tail..varying shades of red...offset by grey and silver..

The new AA tail reminds me of it a bit

dsuairptman

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Can't wait to see a A319 painted in retro AirCal, Reno, and TWA liveries just like the Allegheny, Piedmont, America West, and PSA jets at sub-US.

Would be great to see the QQ mountain tail fly again! As for TWA I think they would have enough 319s to paint retro colors of all three, just like they have two 319s wearing both HP schemes.
GEAUX SAINTS!

Polot

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Quoting YYZbound (Reply 41):
Complete side note...does anybody remember the very short-lived paint scheme USAir was going to adopt when they bought PSA, before the Piedmont merger? I believe there were two planes painted...a BAE-146 and a 737.

I assume you are talking about this livery:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Hans-Werner Klein

I have never read anything suggesting that that livery was anything more than experimental. They certainly didn't have a big public reveal of it. Experimental liveries were also a lot more common in the past. NW, AF, Pan Am, LH and others also had experimental liveries or two.

srbmod

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 pm

It still lasted longer than the livery it replaced......

American Airways is actually the original name for American Airlines. The name change to American Airlines was the result of the Air Mail Act of 1934 which barred any airline that had previously held air mail contracts (There was a big scandal in which air mail routes were given to airlines in a manner that was secretive and against government policy.) from obtaining any of the new air mail contracts. The solution that was a simple name change. For example, American Airways became American Airlines, United Air Lines became United Airlines, Northwest Airways became Northwest Airlines.

View Large View Medium

Photo © RAScholefield Collection
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralph M. Pettersen

What would be a nice livery would be to take the US Airways livery and replace the flag motif on the tail with the AA eagle logo.

[Edited 2013-02-08 15:31:31]

CF-CPI

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 43):
I have never read anything suggesting that that livery was anything more than experimental.

Right. The employee reaction was quite negative, both to this design, and to one applied to a DC-9, which had a tail much like a 'mohawk' haircut (it is almost impossible to find pics of that one). I think the idea was to create a 'California' theme, where US was expanding. I'm told that the designs were done at a very low cost (possibly free) by the design firm .... in hopes of getting the business. In the end, they went for the red/white/blue on polished aluminum.

planeguy727

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 pm

A bunch of folks have suggested that AA be renamed American Airways if there is a merger. I wonder if that is possible based on the Air Mail Act of June 12, 1934 (known as the Black-McKellar bill). In response to the Postermaster Brown "spoils" conference the three airlines that had dominated the air mail industry were forbidden from having future airmail contracts. The three airlines (NW, TW, AA) responded by changing names.

American Airways, based on that legislation, was forbidden from having government contracts to transport mail and became American Airlines (and got new air mail contracts). It might be possible that based on the old legislation that AA can't return to the old name.

Here's a summary of the issue from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Mail_Scandal

BTW - this also contributed to the split of United from Boeing
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:12 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):

I hope the tail is changed a bit. No matter what anybody says, I am astonished that AMERICAN Airlines butchered the American flag by taking the stars off of it. The stars are the most important part of the flag, and they removed them to put seemingly misplaced stripes.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Polot

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:17 am

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 47):
I hope the tail is changed a bit. No matter what anybody says, I am astonished that AMERICAN Airlines butchered the American flag by taking the stars off of it. The stars are the most important part of the flag, and they removed them to put seemingly misplaced stripes.

You mean like how US doesn't include the stars (which makes this entire discussion hilarious, as nobody seems to have a problem with their logo)? Or how ATA didn't include stars in their logo clearly inspired by the American flag?

strfyr51

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 am

The new branding is directly tied to the fact that the AIRBUS airplanes are not built with Matched ALCLAD aluminum skins which makes the current polished American airlines Livery impossible. Not to mention they ordered 200 A320 NEO ACFT? They Had to come up with a new Livery because they sure as Heck can't fly them UN-painted !!

infinit

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:26 am

I do hope its something that justifies the notion of being a truly-American icon.

Even as a non-American I'd love to see something with a hint of patriotism like something inspired by the stars and stripes. That's what one would expect from AA or US

I sure hope they don't use the recently published new AA livery which was just aweful

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:35 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 48):

Yes, but we're talking about American Airlines. The airline that carries the "official" name of the country shouldn't butcher the flag if they have it on their planes. Plus, I can except if they did something like US Airways did, but at least US Airways kept it uniform. AA could have put stars on the flag, but they substituted stripes, for some reason.