jlbmedia
Topic Author

US Airways And American Agree To Merger (official)

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 pm

http://airnation.net/2013/02/13/american-airlines-us-airways-merger/

Official announcement Thursday morning.

[Edited 2013-02-13 16:44:33]
JLB54061

aal0616

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 am

Just received a news bulletin from the Wall Street Journal online that both boards have approved the merger and it will be formally announced Thursday morning.

Wow. Biggest AA news in our lifetimes. This will indeed be an interesting transition.

aal0616

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:09 am

Now the story is appearing on the WSJ website

"US Airways, AMR Boards Approve Merger Deal"

[Edited 2013-02-13 16:15:15]

aal0616

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:14 am

WSJ reports:

AA creditors to own 72% of combined company and US Airways shareholders the balance;

Doug Parker will be CEO, Tom Horton will be non-executive board chairman at least until 2014;

The new board will have 12 directors; creditors appoint 5, AA 4 and US Airways 3. Board drops to 11 when Horton departs as chairman, source says.

Market capitalization at least $10 billion.

Over my pay grade to otherwise understand.

Onward!

allegiantflyer

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 am

I guess i really shouldn't be shocked but,I was really thinking that AA was going to get out of this alone. But im also glad that AA has put their past behind them and started the present

MrBuzzcut

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 am

If this is true, I hope the combined carrier is more AA and less US, and that they can work out labor issues before this goes to completion. I know a TWA scenario won't be likely, but I don't think everybody is going to be as happy as they would have been had the companies stayed separate.

aal0616

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 am

The news is also on the WFAA-TV website, the Dallas Morning News website and now Fox News (cable) has just reported the breaking story.

A new era appears to begin.

Happy St. Valentine's Day!

[Edited 2013-02-13 16:30:21]

SESGDL

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 am

This was one merger I sincerely hoped was not going to happen, even moreso than the UA-CO merger. AA doesn't need US to survive and thrive. This merger brings nothing to the table, AA is already strong over the Atlantic and in Latin America, what AA needs is a greater presence in Asia, which US, obviously, does not bring to the table. I am also saddened that we will be down to 3 legacy carriers in the US, and I cringe at the thought that any of "big 3" may try to merge in the coming future (which will no doubt someday occur). The variety that once adorned US airports is now all but gone, and I can only hope that this merger brings about greater stability to the industry if nothing else. This still puts AA in a poor position competitively to UA and DL, both of which have more formidable global networks. AA didn't need US but US obviously felt it needed US, and management and shareholders thinking of nothing but their pocketbooks have evidently bowed to increases pressures. Oh well...

Jeremy

brilondon

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:33 am

Quoting MrBuzzcut (Reply 5):

If this is true, I hope the combined carrier is more AA and less US, and that they can work out labor issues before this goes to completion. I know a TWA scenario won't be likely, but I don't think everybody is going to be as happy as they would have been had the companies stayed separate.

If no one is happy that usually signals it is a good deal for all involved, that was some ones quote and I have to believe that is what is going to happen. Seriously, congratulation to both carriers, I hope that they are happy together.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

C010T3

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:46 am

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 7):
AA didn't need US but US obviously felt it needed US, and management and shareholders thinking of nothing but their pocketbooks have evidently bowed to increases pressures.

Let's not forget that the employees were also thinking about their pocketbooks.

cha747

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:57 am

Rip Dividend Miles and buying up to preferred.....
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

STT757

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 am

I am also saddened that we will be down to 3 legacy carriers in the US, and I cringe at the thought that any of "big 3" may try to merge in the coming future (which will no doubt someday occur). The variety that once adorned US airports is now all but gone, and I can only hope that this merger brings about greater stability to the industry if nothing else

While I agree that less legacies is bad, especially for the second tier hubs like CVG, MEM, STL, PIT etc., I am optimistic about new opportunities in the future. For instance B6 is thriving, and this merger means AA is not going to merge with B6, at least anytime soon. So we have B6 thriving, WN going to new places all the time, AS growing, Allegiant doing well, Spirit keeps growing, F9 at TTN (which is awesome as a Central Jersey guy) and maybe one day VX will start turning profits.

This AA/US merger will have divestitures somewhere, probably DCA, hopefully that opens up more opportunities for B6, WN, NK, VX etc..

The future US Domestic industry:

Legacy:

AA, DL, UA

LCC:

AS, B6, F9, NK, WN, G4, VX
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

rising

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:02 am

As long as its executed well, this is good news for the industry as a whole.

Just think, not long ago we had a litany of fragmented, poorly-managed airlines chasing market-share. Now, we look and see carriers who are large enough to have pricing power, can manage capacity smartly, are focused on making a profit, and can, at last, do what many thought was impossible: end the boom and bust cycles that have destroyed careers, wiped out investors, and lead to instability for airports and markets around the world.

Look for reports that this will be bad for consumers because it will raise prices. Perhaps, but now these carriers can finally charge an amount that will cover their cost of capital. Airlines are not non-profits or charities, and thankfully they are, for the most part, no longer being run as such. That is good news for airline employees.

Looking forward to seeing what the great people at AMR and US Airways Group do to form the world's largest airline.
If it doesn't make sense, it's because it's not true.

AA94

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:05 am

This was one merger I sincerely hoped was not going to happen, even moreso than the UA-CO merger. AA doesn't need US to survive and thrive. This merger brings nothing to the table, AA is already strong over the Atlantic and in Latin America, what AA needs is a greater presence in Asia, which US, obviously, does not bring to the table.

I fully agree, and I still haven't come to terms with the fact that a merger is actually happening. Hopefully Doug Parker will choose to continue on the path that AA is currently moving along, and not revert back to the past. However, I find myself skeptical that will actually happen ...

Best of luck to a combined AA/US!
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

dlramp4life

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:10 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 11):
This AA/US merger will have divestitures somewhere, probably DCA, hopefully that opens up more opportunities for B6, WN, NK, VX etc..

Along with PHX as well
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

PSAjet17

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 am

Every one of these news reports were all based on information "leaked" by sources who had to remain anonymous since the negotiations were supposed to be private.

Does the Department of Justice have to approve the merger?

rktsci

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 am

Quoting MrBuzzcut (Reply 5):
I hope the combined carrier is more AA and less US

I hope that this will NOT happened. Everyone loves to trash US, but the reality is that they are a good airline. I have flown all of them, and in the past few years US Airways has never lost or delayed a bag of mine, their ontime performance for MY flights have been excellent, I've never had a cancelled flight, and they have done right by me. Some of their planes are long in the tooth, but what about those Mad Dogs?!?

Quoting cha747 (Reply 10):

Agreed. It's been a great program. I'm hoping the combination of lifetime miles from both airlines puts me over the million mile threshold, but as I understand it that doesn't mean anything anymore.

SPREE34

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:28 am

Quoting cha747 (Reply 10):

Every airline frequent flyer program out there is going down the tubes.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

airbazar

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:37 am

Quoting rktsci (Reply 16):
I hope that this will NOT happened. Everyone loves to trash US, but the reality is that they are a good airline. I

As a *A FF in Boston, this means I have to go shopping for another FF program to join since without US, I can't travel up and down the coast without changing planes at either EWR or IAD.

raddek

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:24 am

And another Mega-Carrier in the USA is born.  

chepos

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 am

I thought some of our more "knowledgeable" a.netters said this would never happen and this was all silly talk. Never say never in the airlines industry, it will make you look bad.
Fly the Flag!!!!

mke717spotter

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 am

This was one merger I sincerely hoped was not going to happen, even moreso than the UA-CO merger. AA doesn't need US to survive and thrive. This merger brings nothing to the table, AA is already strong over the Atlantic and in Latin America, what AA needs is a greater presence in Asia, which US, obviously, does not bring to the table. I am also saddened that we will be down to 3 legacy carriers in the US, and I cringe at the thought that any of "big 3" may try to merge in the coming future (which will no doubt someday occur). The variety that once adorned US airports is now all but gone, and I can only hope that this merger brings about greater stability to the industry if nothing else.

I can't agree with you more, especially in terms of the lack of variety that we're now going to see. At MKE there's only going to be 5 airlines now, and since F9 is going to be down to two flights a day it wouldn't be a surprise to see them pull out either. Since I go to school in Arizona I've grown accustomed to flying through PHX on US and its gonna be sad seeing the brand go away. Personally I'm crossing my fingers hoping that this deal somehow falls apart...   
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Acheron

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:34 am

So, AA A350XWB?.

Who saw that coming?.  

RWA380

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:38 am

I wish the best to all the combined employees of the new AA, I then hope the best of each carrier is integrated to create an airline that will raise the bar a bit for legacies.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

frntman

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:47 am

Quoting PSAJet17 (Reply 15):

I'd be willing to guess that the government relations departments at each airline have already vetted this with select members of the DOJ committee.

deltal1011man

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:56 am

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 9):

Let's not forget that the employees were also thinking about their pocketbooks.

Why shouldn't they be? thats all Horton and Co give a flying crap about.

Man, I hope people like you lose everything like airline employees have over the years.

good luck to the AMR and LCC employees. Hope you guys can get everything worked out.

to the AMR employees, congrats on getting a mostly new management team. Hope that this one wont be nearly as worthless as Horton.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

incitatus

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 am

AA doesn't need US to survive and thrive. This merger brings nothing to the table, AA is already strong over the Atlantic and in Latin America, what AA needs is a greater presence in Asia, which US, obviously, does not bring to the table.

I wrote that several times in a.net. But that is probably not the driving force. Let's wait for what gets written in the announcement. Likely the market cap of the combined company is estimated significantly higher than the sum of the standalone companies. So the merger creates value for the owners.
Stop pop up ads

texan

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:00 am

Quoting PSAJet17 (Reply 15):

For better or worse, it shouldn't have difficulty passing the antitrust tests, partially because of past industry consolidation. The DOJ will raise concerns, but DOT makes the decision. The DOT's use of HHI has been generous to the carriers, and I expect that will continue.

I calculate that the current HHI is in the range of .1110 (or 11.10%) to .1121. The HHI after the merger would be in the range of .1319 to .1330. The DOJ considers HHI indeces of between .15 and .25 as moderately concentrated industries and indeces of over .25 as heavily concentrated industries. The merger would not, therefore, raise the additional scrutiny a merger in a moderately to heavily concentrated industry would.

But increases of more than .01 add increased scrutiny because of the amount of decrease in competition in the market. This merger increases the HHI of the airline industry by approximately .0209, over twice the baseline for increased scrutiny.

I stand by my previous statement, though, that the merger will pass through all regulatory hurdles, albeit with some concessions at key airports (DCA, LGA).

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

spud757

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:17 am

So will US be leaving *A for 1W? Can't see AA leaving 1W.

JBAirwaysFan

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 am

Isn't US still trying to solve problems from the HP merger?
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

drmlnr1

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:30 am

When will we see US join OW??? Will the announcement be webcasted?
Flying is relaxing!

rktsci

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 am

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 29):

US Airways has demonstrated solid profitability in a challenging environments AND provided a return to shareholders in recent years of over 300%. That's fantastic and at the end of the day, really the key thing that counts. Everything else, while important, is peripheral.

Flyawa

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:48 am

Booyah! In the 30th anniversary year of America West Airlines, the most successful carrier born out of deregulation, that merged with, and took on the US Airways name, does it again with American. Faster, Higher, Stronger.
Better than most, not as good as some.

PHX787

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:48 am

Well PHX is bracing for the worst but most of the people who I know working for the airport are expecting nothing too serious to happen. Reportedly, good ol' Doug gave PHX their assurance that the airport will remain as a hub...we will see.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 11):
The future US Domestic industry:

Legacy:

AA, DL, UA

LCC:

AS, B6, F9, NK, WN, G4, VX

Don't forget HA on this list but they're more niche than legacy. Certainly not LCC.

I don't like these at all. We need another "legacy" or two in the US. Having a triopoly over legacies in the industry will only drive prices up. ABC15 here in the valley is reporting prices are going up by 5% on tickets on US/AA here in PHX.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

dlramp4life

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 33):
ABC15 here in the valley is reporting prices are going up by 5% on tickets on US/AA here in PHX.

I saw that news report as well, I would assume an uptick in service from UA and DL into PHX now...
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

AA94

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:53 am

Quoting spud757 (Reply 28):
So will US be leaving *A for 1W? Can't see AA leaving 1W.

Yes, US will leave Star.

Quoting spud757 (Reply 28):

Yep.

Quoting rktsci (Reply 31):
US Airways has demonstrated solid profitability in a challenging environments AND provided a return to shareholders in recent years of over 300%. That's fantastic and at the end of the day, really the key thing that counts. Everything else, while important, is peripheral.

... and all that is well and good, but the fact remains that the HP/US integration isn't fully completed yet, as there are not combined seniority lists for the pilots (and perhaps the F/As too?...I don't recall if they had voted or not). My concern is that throwing these three labor groups together (especially considering how volatile AA pilots are, even though they want this merger) could produce some problems.
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

PHX787

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 am

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 34):
I saw that news report as well, I would assume an uptick in service from UA and DL into PHX now...

Hopefully returning the CVG flight back to year-round            

aaexecplat

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:00 am

Quoting rktsci (Reply 31):

To be fair...the recent returns are nearly entirely due to the speculation tat the merger would go through. If this merger had failed or if it still does, you don't want to be an LLC shareholder...

Avi8r747

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:02 am

Can anyone explain to me briefly how this will create the worlds largest airlines? Arn't United and Delta still larger??
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together!

coairman

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:13 am

Congratulations to both AA and US. This appears to be the final stage of the US Airline consolidation. Finally the industry as a whole can be more profitable and stabile with less industry fragmentation and capacity discipline. Airfares in general have remained a great value and have not increased in line with inflation as indicated by recent consumer studies.
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

SPREE34

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:22 am

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 29):

If you are referring to the separate cockpit crews, that ALL falls on USAPA.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

Piedmont727

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:39 am

im happy about the merger and saddened by it sadly us airways name will go forever and my favorites PSA heritage and PIEDMONT heritage and also sadly even less variety at DFW

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:44 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 33):
ABC15 here in the valley is reporting prices are going up by 5% on tickets on US/AA here in PHX.

Now that's funny! The airlines can barely make a $5 price hike stick, but at some undetermined time (tomorrow?), US/AA fares will rise 5% to/from PHX. Really.
International Homo of Mystery

PHX787

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 42):
Now that's funny! The airlines can barely make a $5 price hike stick, but at some undetermined time (tomorrow?), US/AA fares will rise 5% to/from PHX. Really.

Well a quick fare-search for a flight PHX-IND on March 29 shows $420, which with 5% added on would be a 21$ increase....still not much.

Jamake1

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 am

Whatdaya know...PSA and Air Cal back together again after all these years.
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

yyz717

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 am

AA doesn't need US to survive and thrive. This merger brings nothing to the table,
This still puts AA in a poor position competitively to UA and DL, both of which have more formidable global networks.

A combined AA/US will immediately become the world's largest carrier and with it, the ability to drive down consolidated unit costs (once the merger is operationally achieved) to below DL and UA. This will be difficult for AA on its own. True, US does not bring much to the intl network of AA but AA has no choice but to bulk up to compete against DL and UA.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

FL787

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 am

Comparison of the new "Big 4"

For 2012:

RPMs
UA: 205,484,567
AA/US: 136,560,266+64,880,446= 201,440,712
DL: 192,955,777
WN: 102,874,979

ASMs
UA: 248,860,009
AA/US: 166,129,600+77,510,211= 243,639,811
DL: 230,399,620
WN: 128,137,684

PAX Carried
AA/US: 107,806,578+62,524,816= 170,331,394
DL: 164,571,529
UA: 140,441,000
WN: 133,978,100

Revenue (Billions)
AA/US: 24.855+13.831= 38.686
UA: 37.152
DL: 36.670
WN: 17.088

mah584jr

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:32 am

Cautiously optimistic here!

Best of luck to all the employees!

silentbob

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:44 am

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 45):
True, US does not bring much to the intl network of AA but AA has no choice but to bulk up to compete against DL and UA.

US has a solid, if unspectacular, network to Europe, especially in the summer. I think you will see growth internationally from the new carrier.

TWA772LR

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:48 am

I agree 100% that the US needs a more variety in legacy carriers. It gives way too much pricing power to the airlines to where it will hurt the consumer more, especially in cities with mega-hubs (which thats basically the only type of hub left in the US). Plus, it also looks boring from a hobbyists/spotters perspective. As a child of CO/UA employees, I can say that the ride isn't fun with all its uncertainty. Nonetheless, I wish the US and AA employees well.

Also, who would've thought just 30 years ago that it would be UA, AA, and DL as the last legacies; as I'm sure they were thinking PA and TW would at least be on there.
Not every day we find light winds. What do we do in these situations? Fly.