BW424
Topic Author

Changing Currents- Caribbean Aviation Thread 104

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Greetings once again to all A.net patrons and welcome to the first Caribbean Aviation Thread of 2013!

This is our 104th instalment and I must thank all our contributors and silent observers for religiously continuing to support the thread. That said, our regional aviation industry climate is always spiced with its fair share of conspicuous developments. The past several months have proven to be quite eventful with start-ups, shutdowns, pullouts and we can never forget politicking. That said, as we continue through the new year, let this be a year of measured and sustainable development for the Caribbean aviation industry; no matter how small that development may be.

******NEWS FEED******
GEO and China sign US$130M airport expansion deal
VS using A333 on BGI and ANU rotations; more 744 EC services to be replaced
BW DHC8's all retired and being ferried to CYYC
BW B763s operating to JFK/YYZ more frequently; even used on LGW route (ETOPS 180min?)
Dominica becomes shareholder in LI
BW accorded GEO flag carrier status with nonstop JFK and YYZ services
FlyJamaica successfully launches KIN-JFK service after hiccups
EZjet dies a hostile death; GOG using $200,000 bond to reimburse pax affected
LI orders six new ATR-42-600s; first to come in June 2013
LI orders two new ATR-72-600s via Air Lease Corp; coming in June/August
VS to cut 1x weekly LGW-TAB B744 route in May 2013
BW to get 3rd B763 in Q3 of 2013. Expected from the Far East.
CM increases POS-PTY from daily to 12 weekly eith E190
DAE to add 6 ATR-72s to their fleet for expansion. (ex American Eagle)
DL discontinues it's once lucrative JFK-GEO nonstop
WS makes POS daily year-round with the B73G

Happy Posting!!
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

guyanam

RE: Changing Currents- Caribbean Aviation Thread 104

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:46 pm

One thing foir sure 2013 will be a very interesting year for Carib aviation.

What is the REAL reason for DL dropping GEO? Rumors abound...some focus on sloppy management at GEO, exposing airlines to drug trafficking.

Competition on the YYZ POS route froim West jet. How will this impact BW, now that Westjet has committed to the route on a year round basis?

BW monopoly on the JFK GEO route. Will any competitors jump in? What will the Guyana govt do to off set the embarrassment of losing a major carrier? indeed the only global brand to serve GEO when it plans a vastly expanded terminal.

Will PY emerge as a new competitor on GEO North Ameican routes, thereby keeping out the majors who will be loathe to get into a fare war? They have previously spoken about 767 service to YYZ and JFK via GEO, and indeed those routes will only work if routed this way.

Will GORTT finally allow BW management to run the airline instead of interfering?

LIAT with new planes, hopefully changing its much maligned image.

DAE fighting with Insel Air. Is there room for both with DAE's rapid expansion?

Fly Jamaica. Will its be another Ezjet/Redjet?

andrefranca

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 1):

Hmmm I can see LI charging for bags or extra "fuel" fees!
I'm also curious to see this DAE vs. Insel fight!
Jetblue taking over the caribbean from SJU
I think we can't expect much from CM this year!
PY vs. BW can be also "mortal kombat"

cheers from GCM !  

PS: BW424 you should come to GCM, looots of trinis expats here, when I arrived I though "wow many indians they're so far from home!!!!..... and then just remembered, oops no, hey I'm on the west indies..... went to the KFC and asked the cashier :" lady from where you come from?" she said right away Trinidad, and u? "Brazil"? whaaat it's carnival!!! what are you doing here?" LOL I missed the caribbean people and its english! sometimes can't get a word of it!  Smile

[Edited 2013-02-14 17:10:07]

2travel2know2

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 2):
I think we can't expect much from CM this year!

PTY-GEO before PTY-BGI?
CM taking over Cayman Airways GCM-PTY?
CM making it to SCU?
Of course I can't forget long awaited PTY-BZE hopefully (for real) happening this year.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Rumors abound

That they do

some focus on sloppy management at GEO, exposing airlines to drug trafficking.

But this is not the REAL reason.....

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 3):
PTY-GEO before PTY-BGI?

Not likely....I see BGI first. They are engaged with CM unlike the folks at GEO. With CM it is a checklist process....you have to address all of their concerns and that takes gobs of time. BGI is on that road....

CM taking over Cayman Airways GCM-PTY?

KX loads / yields were horrible and they are not bringing back the flight. Why the lack of success is puzzling but it would definitely give CM pause.

Of course I can't forget long awaited PTY-BZE hopefully (for real) happening this year.

Thanks for the cheerleading!
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

2travel2know2

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 4):
KX loads / yields were horrible and they are not bringing back the flight. Why the lack of success is puzzling but it would definitely give CM pause.

So were DAE CUR-PTY and Constellation T&T POS-CUR-PTY yields before CM started PTY-CUR and PTY-POS. Code-share or not, there are PTY routes which wouldn't work unless flown by CM metal, GCM happens to be one of those.
KX should have negotiated w/CM, let CM fly to GCM and sell the seats thru CM own website/reservations bearing the KX code-share.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

BigMac

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Will PY emerge as a new competitor on GEO North Ameican routes, thereby keeping out the majors who will be loathe to get into a fare war? They have previously spoken about 767 service to YYZ and JFK via GEO, and indeed those routes will only work if routed this way.

It seems PY is unable to get rid of their A340 and will have to keep it until 2014. They will seek 2 replacements, either a Boeing 777, 767, or A330.
Additionally, PY will receive a 3rd 737 this quarter (when exactly I don't know). GEO-JFK is on the table but is not a priority (as in do not count on it anytime soon).

Personally, I've been flying PY recently instead of BW on the PBM-MIA route. The flight (including stop) is shorter, the departure/arrival times are better, and you get a nice meal(s). The only problem with PY's 737 are that they are old (interior), there's no IFE of any kind (which doesn't matter to me at all), the seat pitch is a little tighter compared to BW, and there's no online check-in option on the PBM-MIA route.

Below are some pictures I took on BW 484 (POS-MIA) 3.5 months ago (I don't have a registration but it seems to be one of the newer birds):

Notice the F seat is exactly the same as AA's last gen F seat

Huge amount of legroom, couldn't even touch the bulkhead

The menu

Fresh fruit

Herb omelette
To fly, or not to fly: that is the question

guyanam

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Quoting BigMac (Reply 6):

What will PY use its 3rd 737 for? Given that Surinam is poorly integrated into the neighboring countries there are only but so mnay places that they can serve, and it appears as if the existing fleet meets that need.

If PY misses the opportunity to do a GEO JFK route now they might not get another chance. I predict that some one will come and, as we know, this is a two airline route only. BW is too established to be dislodged now that they have nonstops. A new US brand (Jetblue?) will have their own prestige factor.

In fact even Westjet might look at YYZ GEO (if their fleet have the range) if their POS route does well. YYZ is an even tighter route than JFK is.

turk223

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Not likely....I see BGI first.

...from you mouth to Copa's ears

beeweel15

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 7):
I predict that some one will come

Let me get some suggestions to fly the route.

Caymanair

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Welcome to Grand Cayman! You shouldn't travel down this end and not tell me!

Its not puzzling at all. They didn't promote the flight, it was not timed for connections, there weren't enough frequencies, and the build up time was mere weeks. They also got none of the business traffic because they didn't give businesses time to prepare for the non-stops and they didn't organise the cooperative contracts with health providers to carry medical traffic. If they do it properly, it will do well.

Theyre doing the same foolishness with LCE and this 1x weekly thing will lose them a lot of business.

yellowtail

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Quoting Caymanair (Reply 10):
Theyre doing the same foolishness with LCE and this 1x weekly thing will lose them a lot of business.

Isn't LCE 2Xweekly?

Caymanair

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 11):

Its 2x weekly now, but if you look at their summer schedule it drops to Friday only. Not good.

Inbound

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 pm

In fact even Westjet might look at YYZ GEO (if their fleet have the range) if their POS route does well. YYZ is an even tighter route than JFK is.

No, their airplanes will not be able to operate YYZ-GEO.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

9YCAL

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Inbound, any word on the third B763 for CAL?

2travel2know2

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 am

Quoting Inbound (Reply 13):

GEO (06°29'55"N 58°15'15"W) YYZ (43°40'38"N 79°37'50"W) 337° (NW) 2870 mi
MVD (34°50'18"S 56°01'51"W) PTY (09°04'17"N 79°23'00"W) 329° (NW) 3385 mi
From www.gcmap.com
Are you sure? B737-700 seems to have the range.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

andrefranca

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 am

I was on the LCE flight, out of 50 pax, 20 were on FUNTRIP, local travel agents of GCM trying to promote the destination for KX, they wanted to film me etc... WTF? I had to ruuuush to the ferry boat sorry, maybe next tiiime LOL!

Welcome to Grand Cayman! You shouldn't travel down this end and not tell me!

hahahha LOL, had lots of fun in GCM but man itIS expensive.  

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:36 am

PS: BW424 you should come to GCM, looots of trinis expats here, when I arrived I though "wow many indians they're so far from home!!!!..... and then just remembered, oops no, hey I'm on the west indies..... went to the KFC and asked the cashier :" lady from where you come from?" she said right away Trinidad, and u? "Brazil"? whaaat it's carnival!!! what are you doing here?" LOL I missed the caribbean people and its english! sometimes can't get a word of it!  

haha...yes, eventually one day when I find the time.

That begs the question...how is the 2x weekly GEO-YYZ service doing in terms of loads?
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

jm02

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Air Jamaica Shuttle suspends flights

Jamaica Air Shuttle previously operated between Kingston's Tinson Pen Aerodrome and Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay as well as scheduled service to Cayman Brac, Port-au-Prince in Haiti and Santiago de Cuba in Cuba.

The airline on Monday suspended flight operations until further notice and its 25 employees have been laid off.

The developments at Jamaica Air Shuttle come four months after the airline added a fourth weekly flight between Kingston and Port au Prince, Haiti.

Statement from their Facebook page

Dear Valued Jamaica Air Shuttle customers,

Regrettably, Jamaica Air Shuttle has not been spared the rigors of the prevailing toxic global economic climate that has sent the biggest and strongest of airlines scrambling for solutions to the challenges of skyrocketing operating costs and contracting margins.

Effective Monday, February 18, 2013 we will have to suspend flight operations while we renegotiate a sustainable operating model that will assure the Company of the viability sufficient to continue to provide the level of safe, reliable, punctual and courteous service that you have come to expect and deserve.

We are eternally grateful to our growing core of loyal customers that have supported and promoted us since inception, and we assure you of our continued commitment and loyalty to you. We ask for your understanding and patience in this troubling and challenging period in which we will remain true to our guiding principles of safety, customer satisfaction and economic sustainability, which will guide us through this process.
We are expecting that a resolution to the immediate challenges will be worked out in the weeks ahead and we will be in a position to resume operations in the shortest possible timeframe.

Again, we thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through the challenges that have been thrust upon as we emerge stronger and more resilient.

Sincerely,

Christopher Read
Managing Director

Strangely enough, on the 12 February the airline posted this cryptic message on their Facebook page:

Good Afternoon Everyone,
We are currently experiencing technical issues regarding making bookings. You may find that you are unable to book flights on our website beyond February 17th; depending on your route. If this occurs please contact the Reservation Office (1-876-923-0371) to assist with further details. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience as we try to have the issue rectified.

Norman Manley International Airport to be privatised within a year

It is expected to take another year before the Norman Manley International Airport is placed under private management.
Dr. Omar Davies, Minister of Transport, Works and Housing, said the undertaking is being targeted for implementation under a Public/Private Partnership (PPP) agreement. The process is scheduled for completion by March 2014.

Dr. Davies said a 2004 Capital Development Master Plan, which is currently being updated, will guide the process. This undertaking will include extension and widening of the runway, establishment of runway end safety areas in line with International Civil Aviation Organization and Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority safety standards.

The Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay was placed under a similar arrangement in 2003.

more information available at: http://rjrnewsonline.com/local/norma...ort-to-be-privatised-within-a-year

Inbound

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 15):
Are you sure? B737-700 seems to have the range.

Range yes, but the payload/capacity will be low for that amount of fuel required and on a 7400' runway.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

2travel2know2

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Quoting Inbound (Reply 19):
but the payload/capacity will be low for that amount of fuel required and on a 7400' runway.

POA runway is 7481ft long.
POA (29°59'40"S 51°10'17"W) PTY (09°04'17"N 79°23'00"W) 321° (NW) 3277 mi
From www.gcmap.com
But I've no clue if CM actually have to take-off its B737-700 weigh-restricted from MVD or POA to PTY, I would guess no.
However, MVD and POA do have the temperature at take-off time on their side when compared to tropical GEO.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

guyanam

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 pm

The YYZ route seems over served now that BW has added capacity and Westjet has jumped in with a aggressive daily service into POS. Capacity seeme to be up by almost 75%. What will be the fallout as I cannot imagine that either carrier will want to have too many empty seats indefinitely.

Westjet has been having discussions with the Guyana govt. As have B6. I guess the notion is if/when they get suitable planes they will see if GEO makes sense.

I know that the GY govt is very embarrassed by the departure of DL. Is currently spending lots of media time refuting every argument about why DL withdrew service. This includes denying that DL has seen detariorating loads. Apparently they have not, based on Guyana stats. But deteriorating yields they definitely anticipate now they they have to competewith BW for those who insist on nonstop flights.

There was also some scandal involving DL personnel searching the former president, before he was allowed to board.

We will see what they dig up. They claim that they wil not offer any revenue subsidy, or waive taxes on fuel or landing fees Dont know if DL was insisting on this. DL may have them over a barrel so you may well not see the last of them into GEO, if they can force concessions out of the GY govt.

The local travel agents are making a lot of noise about .not having enough seats to sell for the busy Jul/Aug perod. I assume that BW will have an aggressive summer schedule featuring a daily 767 nonstop, because that is what it will take to fill the gap.

LimaFoxTango

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 20):

POA runway is 7481ft long.
POA (29°59'40"S 51°10'17"W) PTY (09°04'17"N 79°23'00"W) 321° (NW) 3277 mi
From www.gcmap.com
But I've no clue if CM actually have to take-off its B737-700 weigh-restricted from MVD or POA to PTY, I would guess no.
However, MVD and POA do have the temperature at take-off time on their side when compared to tropical GEO.

Remember you have to add fuel not only for the flight, but any headwinds enroute, atc delays, instrument approaches, alternate airport (which would be POS in this case). WS 73G's seat only 136. Any restricted weight will cut the amount of pax they can carry on that flight. Less pax means a lower yield for that flight. So yes, while the 73G can probably make the trip, its just not worth the hassle. Same story for B6 and their A320's. It's just not worth it.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

guyanam

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:42 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 22):

Any word yet on who will fill the gap in just over a month into SJU from SKB/ANU/DOM. I assume that LI is the only option. I note that they have already started a 4X/week ANU/SKB/SXM flight, in addition to the existing daily ANU SJU service.

817Dreamliiner

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 23):

It was noted in another thread that seaborne would take up SJU- DOM, FDF and PTP using Saab 340 aircraft:

http://www.seaborneairlines.com/wp-c...ads/SAL-DOMPTP-Feb-19-Engl-Spa.pdf

No word on any others yet
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

LimaFoxTango

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 23):
Any word yet on who will fill the gap in just over a month into SJU from SKB/ANU/DOM. I assume that LI is the only option. I note that they have already started a 4X/week ANU/SKB/SXM flight, in addition to the existing daily ANU SJU service.

That additional flight has been around since last year, about late Nov if i remember correctly. Back then it was routed ANU/SXM/EIS/SJU. The next few months will be hectic for LI as ATR training should commence in March. IMO, LI will not be in that good of a position to absorb any slack till summer....at best.

yellowtail

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:37 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 16):
I was on the LCE flight, out of 50 pax, 20 were on FUNTRIP, local travel agents of GCM trying to promote the destination for KX, they wanted to film me etc... WTF? I had to ruuuush to the ferry boat sorry, maybe next tiiime LOL!

What they need to do is to move the service to Belize where there actually some pax willing to pay for J class tickets to GCM and then have Tropic Air move their pax LCE/RTB/SAP/FRS-BZE for them

guyanam

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 25):

That additional LI route should absorb any seat shortage into SJU a smost of AE's passengers will move over to the MIA route, so only O&D traffic will travel to SJU from SKB and ANU. This with DOM being served by Seaborne. AA has already added additional MIA SKB capacity.

yellowtail

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Let me publicly welcome our Roving Brazilian and trip reporter, Andre Franca to Belize! enjoy your stay, the weather looks to be great!

andrefranca

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 28):

Thank you so much!!! I'm really having fun here in caye caulker!  

yellowtail

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Tropic Air has announced service start date from BZE to CUN

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tropic-Air-Belize/340653164591

So what's next for them? GCM, RTB?

caribbean484

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 pm

DAE hires new Chief Commercial Officer

"DAE has added to its top management team, Carlos Tait, as Chief Commercial Officer. Mr Tait is an experienced airline executive and for over 25 years has served in executive positions at American Airlines"
http://www.curacaochronicle.com/avia...ires-new-chief-commercial-officer/

Additional MD83 Aircraft for DAE
"DAE will receive an additional MD83. This will be the third MD83 from Falcon Air. The aircraft bearing registration number N307 has an interior which has been modified with big overhead bins and all seats freshly refurbished with blue leather seat covers. It will arrive in Hato first week of March."
http://www.curacaochronicle.com/avia.../additional-md83-aircraft-for-dae/

[Guyana] CJIA earns $1,094M in 2012
"Cheddi Jagan International Air-port (CJIA) Chief Executive Officer Ramesh Ghir has announced that the airport’s income for 2012 amounted to $1.094 billion as compared to $748 million collected in 2011. This $346 million or 46 per cent increase was as a result of additional rental/concession fees and passenger service charges.
Of the income collected, $424 million was transferred to the Consolidated Fund, 33 per cent more than the $319 million that was transferred in 2011, while expenditure amounted to $462 million as compared to the $365 million spent in 2011.
http://gina.gov.gy/wp/?p=5884

Airport CEO on NavCom Fee Collection
"Antigua St. John's - The issue of who collects what in relation to the contested NavCom Fees that Antigua & Barbuda pays directly to the Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority (ECCAA) has been somewhat clarified, with Airport CEO Stanley Smith attempting to put the matter to rest earlier this week."

Read more: http://www.caribarena.com/antigua/ne...-fee-collection.html#ixzz2M2mnyGeb

[Edited 2013-02-26 14:00:24]
All ah we is one family

yellowtail

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 am

Rumors abound of a soon to be announced

3Xweekly
MIA-GEO B738
MIA-PBM B738

BE77

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 32):
3Xweekly
MIA-GEO B738
MIA-PBM B738

Abound where when, who??
Direct? Any clue as to timing?
Quit teasing me!!!
A direct PBM-MIA connection, even 3X, would make life so much easier for travelling to anywhere in USA / Canada. While there are several workable connections, the loss of 3 or 4 hours enroute makes it a really long day if you are travelling beyond MIA, JFK, or YYZ.
Another direct to GEO wouldn't hurt either, just to keep BW honest. (My assumption is that it must be either PY getting 738's which we haven't heard of, or more likely a US based 738 operator if they can get direct routing to both GEO and PBM, so AA?)
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

yellowtail

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 am

3Xweekly
MIA-GEO B738
MIA-PBM B738

Sorry I should have said AA....there is another thread on it now....

A388

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 34):

3Xweekly
MIA-GEO B738
MIA-PBM B738

Sorry I should have said AA....there is another thread on it now....

I think PY will suffer from these direct flights, especially on the PBM-AUA-MIA flight. The The U.S. immigration check in AUA to me doesn't outway the nonstop flight from MIA and I think many people will chose this over the AUA stop, probably even locals. In any case good luck to AA on these new routes.

AA used their 738 with the new livery to CUR on one of their first international flights. When seen in person the new livery is very nice (see my photo below):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography

A388

BigMac

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 pm

3Xweekly
MIA-GEO B738
MIA-PBM B738

MIA-PBM with a B738 is suicide... Route won't last a month... PBM is such a small market and we already have DAE, Insel Air, PY, and BW, though none are direct... I'm pretty sure AA will charge a lot.
MIA-GEO will probably do very good though... However, AA doesn't give a meal and you will probably have to pay for a 2nd checked bag. A problem on the PY 733 is that the bins are on the small side which is not a problem on AA or BW B738's.

I flew PY421 (PBM-GEO-MIA) (the President of Guyana was on this flight) and PY422 (MIA-GEO-PBM) last week. From/to GEO PY421 was completely full, however PY422 was probably 75% full. From/to PBM there were only 30-35 pax...

What will PY use its 3rd 737 for? Given that Surinam is poorly integrated into the neighboring countries there are only but so mnay places that they can serve, and it appears as if the existing fleet meets that need.

Currently one 737 is used almost exclusively for PBM-XXX-MIA. The other is used for CAY, BEL, CUR, POS.
The third 737 will probably be used on a new route to Fortaleza. Other possible destinations are Santo Domingo and Panama.

If PY misses the opportunity to do a GEO JFK route now they might not get another chance.

I agree with you on this.

Below are some pics of my meals (a plus when flying PY) on PY421 and PY 422 last week.

PY421 (GEO-MIA)

Contents (chicken with yellow rice)

PY422 (MIA-GEO)

Contents (chicken with yellow rice)

In comparison this is what you get on BW484 (POS-MIA) which is almost inedible

A388

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Quoting BigMac (Reply 36):

3Xweekly
MIA-GEO B738
MIA-PBM B738

MIA-PBM with a B738 is suicide... Route won't last a month... PBM is such a small market and we already have DAE, Insel Air, PY, and BW, though none are direct... I'm pretty sure AA will charge a lot.

AA can stimulate tourism to Surinam as they have a much bigger market they serve from the U.S. (connecting possibilities). Surinam currently doesn't have any direct flight to the U.S., how is this going to be suicide within a month? AA is known for high fares, just as their flights to CUR but still all flights are full and we have daily flights from MIA.

Currently one 737 is used almost exclusively for PBM-XXX-MIA. The other is used for CAY, BEL, CUR, POS.
The third 737 will probably be used on a new route to Fortaleza. Other possible destinations are Santo Domingo and Panama.

As was mentioned by guyanam, their current fleet is big enough to do all the flights they do. Their flight to CUR stays here the entire day before it heads back so they can better utilize their 733 fleet before adding a third aircraft.

A388

guyanam

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 pm

AAs MIA GEO will just about squash PYs GEO MIA service as AA offers connection to points within the USA. Many who use this flight travel beyond MIA and as AA is the most likely domestic connector they will get the business.

BW will also suffer, and no doubt already are with the PY service, though the POS GEO sector allows connections from its LGW, and its intra Caribbean routes.

Based on your numbers do not see how a MIA PBM can work. Guess PY will have to go back to its 3X via AUA and serve GEO out of JFK instead, when it acquires suitable planes.

The GY govt will be very happy as they are feeling quite embarrassed about the loss of DL.

[Edited 2013-02-27 10:37:14]

2travel2know2

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:24 pm

I don't see that much potential for PBM-SDQ unless it's flown via CUR/SXM, or has an HAV or even KIN tag-on.
If PY wants to return to PTY it'll be mostly welcome, just hope PY route doesn't go the same way GCM-PTY.
Sure CM should be the carrier of choice for both possible PBM-PTY and GEO-PTY.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 pm

How is the PTY-CUR route doing so far?

A388

guyanam

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:52 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 39):

I still think that PY is being over ambitious and that its plans for route developiment into non traditional markets might well hurt them. I do not know that Suriname is able to absorb a loss making carrier as T&T can.

Maybe the same can be said about DAE (its expansion into PBM being an example) but I leave it to A388 to offer an opinion on that. From what I can see there are way too many seats into PBM from other parts of the Caribbean. If AA does start service these carriers will lose their MIA originating passengers as they all require a stop, and often an aircraft change.

Some one raised the issue of PYs small cabin bins. Given that some try to avoid checking bags if they can, especially in these drug infested airports like GEO, and maybe PBM and POS, that part discourages some from giving them a try.

A388

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 41):
but I leave it to A388 to offer an opinion on that. From what I can see there are way too many seats into PBM from other parts of the Caribbean

With regards to the PBM route, I also think there are too many seats but I think DAE is just trying to be competitive and take a risk here. Looking at Insel Air and DAE in general I think it's a matter of "survival of the fittest". Time will tell who will come out as the winner if applicable. If they can operate side by side as they have done for several years now I am happy for both of them and wish them both good luck.

A388

BigMac

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 37):
AA can stimulate tourism to Surinam as they have a much bigger market they serve from the U.S. (connecting possibilities). Surinam currently doesn't have any direct flight to the U.S., how is this going to be suicide within a month? AA is known for high fares, just as their flights to CUR but still all flights are full and we have daily flights from MIA.

Of course AA can stimulate tourism to Surinam, but how much (probably only a handful). How many "real" tourists (people who have no relation with Guyana) fly DL's JFK-GEO? KL is a well known airline all over the world but they aren't bringing a lot (almost none) of "real" tourists to Surinam.
I don't think you can compare the PBM market to CUR. CUR has beaches, PBM has... forests?
FYI currently PBM-XXX-MIA costs averages around $650 (with all carriers), in high season (holidays) it's usually between $800-$1200.

Quoting A388 (Reply 37):
As was mentioned by guyanam, their current fleet is big enough to do all the flights they do. Their flight to CUR stays here the entire day before it heads back so they can better utilize their 733 fleet before adding a third aircraft.

Indeed, PY could utilize their aircraft in CUR better (by flying to SXM, PTY, SDQ to name a few).

Quoting guyanam (Reply 38):
AAs MIA GEO will just about squash PYs GEO MIA service as AA offers connection to points within the USA. Many who use this flight travel beyond MIA and as AA is the most likely domestic connector they will get the business.

To be honest I think brand name plays a bigger part than a connection. Connecting in MIA (or the USA in general) with AA (DL, UA, B6, etc), you still have to go through US immigration, get you luggage, go through customs, and drop off you luggage.
Even if a person would only fly GEO-MIA they would probably still take AA over PY just because AA is a recognized/big/US airline (even if they knew they would have to pay more, pay for their 2nd bag, get worse service and get no free meal).

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 39):
I don't see that much potential for PBM-SDQ unless it's flown via CUR/SXM, or has an HAV or even KIN tag-on.
If PY wants to return to PTY it'll be mostly welcome, just hope PY route doesn't go the same way GCM-PTY.
Sure CM should be the carrier of choice for both possible PBM-PTY and GEO-PTY.

Exactly, PBM-SDQ/GCM/PTY will do worse than PBM-GEO. SDQ/GCM/PTY will have to be tacked on to GEO/POS/CUR

A388

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:36 pm

Quoting BigMac (Reply 43):
Of course AA can stimulate tourism to Surinam, but how much (probably only a handful). How many "real" tourists (people who have no relation with Guyana) fly DL's JFK-GEO? KL is a well known airline all over the world but they aren't bringing a lot (almost none) of "real" tourists to Surinam.
I don't think you can compare the PBM market to CUR. CUR has beaches, PBM has... forests?
FYI currently PBM-XXX-MIA costs averages around $650 (with all carriers), in high season (holidays) it's usually between $800-$1200.

Let's leave it to time to see how succesful AA will be. It is clear that you have your own opinion. If it works, it works. If it doesn't work, they will leave. As was mentioned before as well, with AA entering the market I also see PY suffering. AA is popular to CUR among locals as well so it's not that only foreigners chose to fly non-local airlines, local people also do. The fact that you don't get a meal on board isn't the deciding factor nowadays. Don't forget that you win time by flying nonstop PBM-MIA and vice versa compared to a PBM-AUA-MIA routing.

Indeed, PY could utilize their aircraft in CUR better (by flying to SXM, PTY, SDQ to name a few).

That's an option yes.

A388

2travel2know2

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 pm

If it's because CUR O/D demands tag-on to SXM, SDQ, PAP, KIN or HAV may make more sense, not sure about SJU.
If CM is already in the CUR-PTY route, CUR-PTY is too thin to be able to support another airline.

What kind of bilateral Suriname has with Venezuela, if it does have any?
Could PY fly PBM-CUR-CCS-PTY?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 45):
What kind of bilateral Suriname has with Venezuela, if it does have any?
Could PY fly PBM-CUR-CCS-PTY?

That would also require approval from CUR and Venezuela and to my knowledge the bilateral between CUR and Venezuela will not allow PY to fly the CUR-CCS route.

A388

LimaFoxTango

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:21 pm

WestJet flights to continue through low season

St. John’s Antigua- Canadian carrier WestJet Airlines has confirmed it will continue its service from Toronto to Antigua throughout the summer – albeit with fewer flights.
WestJet currently flies every Wednesday and Sunday from Toronto’s Pearson International Airport to VC Bird International Airport.
Between May 4 and October 26, it will reduce its flight schedule from twice to once weekly, flying into Antigua every Saturday. However, the airline will utilise its larger 174-seat Boeing 737-800 series aircraft during the summer months, apart from September, when it will use its smaller 136-seat plane.
WestJet has proved a popular low-cost option between the countries since it began in late October last year.
Tourism Minister John Maginley said, “Greater accessibility to the destination has proven to be beneficial for Canadian travellers, and the market has responded positively.
“Reduced fare options from Canada during the summer is a welcome strategy that will encourage more visitors during the traditionally slower months, and will be advantageous to all stakeholders, as well as events happening on-island during that time.”
In 2012, there was an eight per cent growth in the number of Canadian tourists visiting Antigua & Barbuda by air.
Tourism Authority CEO Colin C James said, “Over the years we have seen the airlift out of the Canadian market increase and with this we have seen a direct correlation with growth from the market, which indicates continued interest in the destination from Canadian travellers; we plan to capitalise on this.”
WestJet’s summer operations will bring an overall additional 4,382 seats to and from Antigua and Toronto, on top of the 7,200 seats the airline brought during the 2012/2013 winter season.

http://www.antiguaobserver.com/?p=88724

817Dreamliiner

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 47):
Between May 4 and October 26, it will reduce its flight schedule from twice to once weekly, flying into Antigua every Saturday.

Oh great... Another Airline to join the ANU Saturday rush...
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

caribbean484

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Scandinavian travelers now have easier access to Tobago with the introduction of a charter service from several Scandinavian cities directly to the ANR Robinson International Airport.
The service was officially launched at the Grand Travel Awards in Stockholm on February 13 and it will run for three winter seasons starting in December.

This new airlift is the result of months of negotiations between the Division of Tourism and Transportation of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) and Kuoni/Apollo, a Scandinavian-based tour operator.

The charter will operate weekly out of Stockholm and every second week from Copenhagen, with connecting flights in both Norway and Finland. The airline carrier, Novair, will use an A-330 aircraft, offering the comfort of 24 business class and 261 economy seats.

Since the service commenced bookings on February 14 and 21 in Sweden and Denmark respectively, 160 seats were reserved after the first week. Aided by €300,000 in airlift support, as well as €100,000 in marketing support from the THA, it is being heavily promoted by Kuoni/Apollo.

The Scandinavian market is the third largest outbound travel market in Europe and it currently accounts for five per cent of Tobago’s international arrivals. It is anticipated that tourist arrivals from this region will increase by approximately 25 per cent.
http://www.guardian.co.tt/business/2...via-tobago-airlift-starts-december

I also heard that they are anticipating a deal for a winter YYZ service weekly, not sure what airline.

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 47):
Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 48):

Lol well its good for the industry in ANU, I also saw they will have MAN flights in the winter this year from Thomas Cook.
All ah we is one family