gilesdavies

EasyJet And The "Bomb" Word - Overreaction?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Im not sure what to think of this, and curious on other peoples opinions...

A man flying to Portugal with easyJet from Luton, was not allowed to fly, was ejected from the airport and given a life time ban by easyJet for using the "bomb" word when at check-in...

From what I can make out of the story, he never actually threatened to blow up or say he was carrying a bomb aboard a flight, but when at the check-in desk, they asked the usual security questions and he commented something along the lines of saying he WASN'T carrying any bombs and did not want to blow himself up.

It seems the check-in staff have then called the police and then got barred from the airport and a life time ban from the airline.

I think it was stupid he even used the word, but think their is an element of overreaction as he did not say he was carrying a bomb or make any threat.

They were discussing this on BBC Three Counties Radio (which is in the area of Luton Airport) this morning on the JVS show about 1hr into the show. I have provided a link below and you can fast forwarded to it. As it is an interactive radio show, where the listeners can call in with their views, the majority of listeners agreed with the view of easyJet. Surely the police coming to over the passenger and stern telling off would have been sufficient?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0142zy3/The_JVS_Show_18_02_2013/

tonystan

RE: EasyJet And The "Bomb" Word - Overreaction?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:34 pm

In fairness he deserved it just for being that stupid!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

anstar

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Quoting GilesDavies (Thread starter):
Surely the police coming to over the passenger and stern telling off would have been sufficient?

When it comes to Aviation - security is no joking matter. You'd have to be an idiot to even think about dropping the b word at check in.

BasilFawlty

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Can't believe there are still people who give such stupid answers when serious questions are asked at check-in, very good that he has been banned for life.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

travelavnut

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 1):
In fairness he deserved it just for being that stupid!
Quoting anstar (Reply 2):
When it comes to Aviation - security is no joking matter. You'd have to be an idiot to even think about dropping the b word at check in.
Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 3):
Can't believe there are still people who give such stupid answers when serious questions are asked at check-in, very good that he has been banned for life.

Using the B-word at an airport is like a white guy using the N-word out loud in the middle of Compton..really really really stupid.

This man should remove himself from the gene-pool for the greater good of our species!
Live From Amsterdam!

s5daw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Uhm... so I'm the only one who finds it unacceptable to limit free speech like this, specifically to tell someone that you are of no threat?

Some of you guys really missed the whole communism experience up close and personal. Because we are heading there, fast.

sebolino

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Well, a French guy spent 20 days in the prison of Rikers Island in 2004 to have used the word "explode" in an American Airlines plane ...

Just don't make this type of jokes.

[Edited 2013-02-18 08:39:31]

travelavnut

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 5):
who finds it unacceptable to limit free speech like this,

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?!

This has nothing to do with free speech, this is about a very sensitive environment when it comes to security and the common sense of not using terminology that is connected to security threats in that environment.

Long time ago we went on a big family ski-ing holiday in Switzerland by car. One of my stupid nephews thought it would be fun to proclaim out loud that "we did not have any cocaine hidden in our cars" at the Swiss border. We were stuck on the border for a few hours while they strip searched his car. Idiot.

[Edited 2013-02-18 09:14:40]
Live From Amsterdam!

dc9northwest

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 pm

He's stupid.

Big deal.

Check him and his bags thoroughly (do an anal examination if you have to), and let him fly, unless you really do find something.

Innocent until proven guilty, ever heard of that? The only thing he's proven guilty of is stupidity, which doesn't in itself ban anyone from flying or 90% of the human species would be banned from flying.

Cheers.

s5daw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 7):
This has nothing to do with free speech, this is about a very sensitive environment when it comes to security and the common sense of not using terminology that is connected to security threats in that environment.

I see. So when time comes and a young boy arrives to my house to take my daughter on a date, and to break the ice he says "don't worry, I won't make your daughter pregnant", I should beat the hell out of his ass and charge him with rape.

It IS the same.

[Edited 2013-02-18 08:42:29]

buck3y3nut

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 pm

What if a person is working and used the word, "BOM" as in the "Bill of Materials"... sounds like 'bomb' doesn't? While I understand it's quite sensitive in nature, surely a simple background check of the person could result in a better judgement. Yes he was stupid, but to me seems like an over-reaction. But my 2 cents cause I'm used to getting 'secondary' screenings because just when i go through security, seems like all the scanners have a 'mal-function' and there is a need for 'pat-down' screening! Whatever...

Aesma

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

If I was him I would be suing. Not to get money but by principle. I'm sure the European court of human rights would have a field day with this.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

travelavnut

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 9):
I see. So when time comes and a young boy arrives to my house to take my daughter on a date, and to break the ice he says "don't worry, I won't make your daughter pregnant", I should beat the hell out of his ass and charge him with rape.

Apples vs. oranges. Your frontperch is not a prime candidate for terrorist attacks.

Also this guy was not beat up nor charged with anything.
Live From Amsterdam!

mjoelnir

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:29 pm

This things get a little stupid. It matters what exactly you say. If you say, "no I have no bomb in my pocket", may be a very stupid joke, but it can be in no way construed as a threat.

Do you want to arrest Spanish speaking people when they talk about a bomba meaning pump in Spanish?

In the USA they managed to throw some people of an aeroplane for the crime of praying in Arabic.

JU068

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:42 pm

I feel so happy that I live between two countries which have not embraced this sort of post-9.11 paranoia.

I actually think that saying you have a bomb is quite appropriate, stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

flyboy_se

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm

The airlines are clear with zero tolerance on jokes about safety, and this reaction is exactly it, zero tolerance no matter how silly the comment was.

Also we were not there and do not know exactly what and how it went. I am sure if he was banned from the airport too,
it couldent have been that harmless.

Also with free speach comes responsability, just because you can say what you want, doesent mean you should.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

jetblueguy22

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 5):
Uhm... so I'm the only one who finds it unacceptable to limit free speech like this, specifically to tell someone that you are of no threat?

Free speech doesn't necessarily mean you can say whatever you want. You can't cause a panic. Like you can't yell fire in a theatre. He may have tried to prove he was of no threat but you can say you don't have explosives on you without saying I don't have a bomb or I don't want to blow myself up. You just say I don't have anything that is illegal on me.

As for easyjet. I think the ban is a little extreme. Is there a better way this gentleman could have gone about answering those questions? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean he should get banned from the airline. If you really felt uncomfortable letting him fly that day that is completely understandable. His responses were a little strange. But there really is no need to ban him for a lifetime.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Maverick623

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 5):

No, you are not. I am sickened at the first 4 posts, supporting the decision to take punitive actions for one stinking little word used in a non-threatening manner.

This has nothing to do with free speech,

Bull-excrement. This has everything to do with free speech. Satire (and it's associated sarcastic wit) is one of the oldest and most used forms of dissent in the modern era (and likely before).

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 12):

Also this guy was not beat up nor charged with anything.

So in other words, he had his rights taken away without any hint of due process, but he wasn't physically harmed so it's okay. Lovely. Orwell would be proud.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 16):
Free speech doesn't necessarily mean you can say whatever you want. You can't cause a panic.

I can cause a panic all day long, so long as I a) don't do it intentionally and maliciously and b) the panicking is unreasonable given the circumstances.

The best example is a person boarding an airplane, and recognizes the pilot as an old friend he hasn't seen in years. He walks up to the flight deck and says "Hi, Jack!". While it may cause a panic if someone who isn't Jack hears it, that doesn't mean the person is legally responsible for causing the panic, and should suffer no legal consequences.

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 4):

Using the B-word at an airport is like a white guy using the N-word out loud in the middle of Compton..really really really stupid.

I work at an airport. I use the word bomb almost daily, in a far more provocative way than this guy.

Or is it the double standard in the way that if a black person says n*****, it's okay, but when a white guy says it, he gets what's coming to him?

Quoting flyboy_se (Reply 15):
I am sure if he was banned from the airport too,
it couldent have been that harmless.

You should read the comments here. People actively cheering the punishment of someone who they think merely made an otherwise harmless quip, just because it happened at an airport.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

s5daw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 11):
If I was him I would be suing.

Actually, can a public transport company really deny you their services?
If the man did something wrong - criminally charge him. otherwise it's just nonsense.

Quoting flyboy_se (Reply 15):
The airlines are clear with zero tolerance on jokes about safety

Zero tolerance really works great. It gets you on sex offenders list for peeing in public in the US, for example. Wonderful!

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 16):
Free speech doesn't necessarily mean you can say whatever you want.

You can't tolerate Mohammed's caricatures and ban certain - satirical - wording of plain facts at the same time.

It is interesting though that in general people who think you shouldn't say "no, I did not pack any bombs" have no problem deeply offending Muslims in the name of free speech.

mayor

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 9):

Hardly the same situation, is it? And besides, that is up to you to decide how you want to react, just as it was the airline's decision on what they wanted to do.

Quoting JU068 (Reply 14):
I feel so happy that I live between two countries which have not embraced this sort of post-9.11 paranoia.

This was going on BEFORE 9/11.

I actually think that saying you have a bomb is quite appropriate, stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

Much like this one ^

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 17):
Bull-excrement. This has everything to do with free speech. Satire (and it's associated sarcastic wit) is one of the oldest and most used forms of dissent in the modern era (and likely before).

How is this "satire"? Satire would, actually, be worse, but saying "bomb" is just plain stupid and has been, for years.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 17):
So in other words, he had his rights taken away without any hint of due process, but he wasn't physically harmed so it's okay. Lovely. Orwell would be proud.

He had no rights taken away. Flying is not a right and the company (although they may have overreacted) can, if they wish, remove his "privileges" to fly. No one is stopping him from travelling to his destination, he should just find another air carrier OR another mode.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

pvjin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 pm

Blah typical 9/11 paranoia, total madness as usual.

I would be 1000x more concerned about my flight being flown by tired overworked pilots than someone bringing a bomb into the aircraft which is extremely unlikely.
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." - Voltaire

robsaw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 19):
He had no rights taken away. Flying is not a right and the company (although they may have overreacted) can, if they wish, remove his "privileges" to fly. No one is stopping him from travelling to his destination, he should just find another air carrier OR another mode.

Yes and no. Being "banned" by the airline is a civil matter not a constitutional rights matter. However, flying is most certainly a "right". In fact, you have a general right under the US Constitution to liberty, which in essence and has been supported by the courts, a right to do anything that hasn't been restricted except by due process of law. The list of rights in the constitution is not an enumerated list of ALL the rights a person has. It is but a subset of rights that have been specifically enumerated as specially protected rights. Understanding this point is the key to a truly free and democratic society that sustains itself by avoiding falls into authoritarian and arbitrary denial of fundamental liberty in the false pursuit of security.

BasilFawlty

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Security questions are stupid questions?

Quoting s5daw (Reply 18):

A public transport company? Probably no. But easyJet isn't a public transport company, it's a private company, so yes, they can deny everyone they want.

s5daw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 22):
A public transport company? Probably no. But easyJet isn't a public transport company, it's a private company, so yes, they can deny everyone they want.

Let me rephrase: any privately owned company that provides public transport.

He could buy the ticket and claim denied boarding under EU rights!

tonystan

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:45 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 18):

Well Easyjet is a private company. As with any company they reserve the right to refuse custom. So in my eyes, if you act the maggot, much like a jerk in a nightclub/bar/restaurant etc you deserve to be refused admission. This guy clearly acted the maggot. They didn't refuse him travel because he was, disabled or of an ethnic minority, they didn't refuse him travel because they could not accommodate his needs, they refused him travel because he clearly antagonised company procedure on security which no airline should compromise on! I imagine that as long as they refund him his ticket then there is little he can do about it other than to think about his future behaviour!

tonystan

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 23):

Let me rephrase: any privately owned company that provides public transport.

He could buy the ticket and claim denied boarding under EU rights!

Absolutely not. Denied boarding only covers people refused travel due to overbooking,mech problems etc, it doesn't cover individuals who have been denied travel due to threatening behaviour or failing to comply with the airlines conditions of travel!

s5daw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 25):
Absolutely not. Denied boarding only covers people refused travel due to overbooking,mech problems etc, it doesn't cover individuals who have been denied travel due to threatening behaviour or failing to comply with the airlines conditions of travel!

And what law would that be?
Also, please show me where in EasyJet's conditions it says they can cancel the contract just because you are - at worst - impolite http://www.easyjet.com/terms-and-conditions .

This behaviour was NOT threatening. As someone else said, pilot fatigue or not taking enough fuel on board IS threatening. And even if it was threatening... The proper way is to call the police and let the legal system handle it.

BasilFawlty

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 26):
And what law would that be?
Also, please show me where in EasyJet's conditions it says they can cancel the contract just because you are - at worst - impolite http://www.easyjet.com/terms-and-conditions .

19.1 General Requirements

19.1.1 Passengers are reminded that in accordance with applicable local and foreign laws, the captain is in command of the aircraft and every person on board shall obey his or her lawful commands. All Our captains are given authority to direct Passengers who misbehave, are disruptive, or otherwise cause problems to resolve the issues as best they can in all the circumstances. This may include the use of physical restraint and, where possible, removal from the Flight of such persons.

19.1.2 If You conduct Yourself on board the aircraft or at the airport so as to:

(a) endanger the aircraft or any person or property on board or at the airport; or

(b) obstruct the crew or Airport Staff in the performance of their duties; or

(c) fail to comply with any instruction of the crew or Airport Staff; or

(d) use any threatening, abusive or insulting words towards the crew or Airport Staff or behave in any of these ways towards the crew or Airport Staff; or

(e) behave in a disorderly, unpredictable, unsafe or aggressive manner or in a manner to which another Passenger may reasonably object,

Since he failed to answer the security questions and instead choose to give stupid answers there are various reasons to offload and refuse him for future flights.

tonystan

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:20 pm

S5daw.......did you even get as far as THE WHOLE of section 19????????

Then there is the real world! He was ejected from the airport,,,,airlines can'tdo that, only airport security who have the authority to do that.

Dd you witness this incident? Airline staff aren't in the habit of refusing travel just because they don't like the look of someone. If you honestly believe there is not more to this story so be it! But he made a stupid judgement call and he's been caught out on it! Cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would be defending him for it!

Maverick623

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 24):
they refused him travel because he clearly antagonised company procedure on security which no airline should compromise on!

Allowing someone to express sarcasm is hardly compromising on security principles. People who get offended or worried by such behavior need to grow up and quit being whiny little babies, scared over a little word.

Quoting tonystan (Reply 28):
Cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would be defending him for it!

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would be calling for his public flogging and removal from the gene pool over something so incredibly silly.

[Edited 2013-02-18 15:59:17]

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:18 am

So much talk about this man's stupidity, and him causing a panic - but not a peep about the stupidity of those who heard "I don't have a bomb" and chose to panic.

Rara

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:22 am

Can't believe what I'm reading here. Some people have internalized the industry paranoia to a ridiculous degree.

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 3):
very good that he has been banned for life.
Quoting travelavnut (Reply 4):
This man should remove himself from the gene-pool for the greater good of our species!

Yeah right. Never mind actual terrorists who, you know, try to blow up planes... the guy having a bad day and stating that he DOESN'T have a bomb is suddenly the greatest threat to security ever.

Security questions are stupid questions?

Yes, the question "do you carry any bombs sir", if it is ever asked, could easily the most stupid question ever.

Which actual terrorist is going to lay out his plans in detail when asked about it? Is there even ONE example in history? Is there ONE example of a man mumbling about bombs at security, then being let through and blowing up the plane?
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Virginblue4

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 am

A complete and utter overreaction! He joked that he DIDN'T have a bomb and has been banned for life? Absolutely pathetic.

Things are getting out of control these days. You have to be careful about everything you say now, just incase it offends someone and I'm getting fed up of it.
The amazing tale of flight.

mjoelnir

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 am

We have to realize that airport security and also in many countries immigration have become a joke free area, that also does not accept any sarcasm.
Small minded people with lots of power in both cases, working for organizations not answerable to critic.

If this leads to a lifetime airport and flight ban, what do they do to the star struck guys from the vip staff of an airline smuggling two Vips past waiting lines and airport security? Lifetime imprisonment, death penalty?
How often does that happen?

This guy saying: " no i do not have a bomb on me", could have been an Icelander, we are used to making bad jokes and laughing about it regarding everybody and everything in authority, no proper respect at all, very disconcerting to people used to be taken deadly serious.
Very dangerous to do in foreign countries, need special training before aloud to leave Iceland.

RussianJet

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:41 am

It was an idiotic thing to say, no more, no less. Being put through the ringer by the Police, having his time wasted for a while and getting a stern bollocking really ought to suffice.

The punishment was over the top, if it really was phrased as the OP said.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

planesailing

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:33 am

The security questions are outdated and lead to stupid remarks when asking them, which is why they have been/are being removed from use. Airlines wishing to continue asking them now have to have their check-in agents have specific training for it.

Of more importance are the questions on the carriage of dangerous goods in everyday use, such as lithium batteries, which pose a greater risk to the safety of aircraft.

Maverick623

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 am

And while we quibble over the merits of asinine "security" policies, a number of people waltz into BRU and steal millions of Euros worth of diamonds.

Armed Robbery On LX789 @ BRU Airport (by Bralo20 Feb 18 2013 in Civil Aviation)

bristolflyer

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 am

I remember 25 years ago getting on my first flight as a kid - my parents told me many times not to joke/so anything stupid at check-in. And things have only got 'worse' since then. Idiot, no sympathy.
Fortune favours the brave

mayor

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 am

As I mentioned before, while this WAS an overreaction on the airline's part, it's not like mentioning words such as bomb, hijack, etc. and getting in trouble for it is a NEW thing. IIRC, it's been taboo at least since the first person tried to hijack a flight to Cuba, etc. To paraphrase a judicial phrase....."Ignorance of the rules is no excuse".

Are there any of us here, except for those that the rules shouldn't apply to them, that would be stupid enough to mention such words to airport security? While it may seem trivial, these things ARE in place at your local airport and will probably remain so for the forseeable future.

If you want to blame someone, blame those that made it necessary to put the security regulations in place, in the beginning......the terrorists.

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 30):
So much talk about this man's stupidity, and him causing a panic - but not a peep about the stupidity of those who heard "I don't have a bomb" and chose to panic.

Perhaps their ears are attuned to listen for the "B" word and that's what they picked up on.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 36):
And while we quibble over the merits of asinine "security" policies, a number of people waltz into BRU and steal millions of Euros worth of diamonds.

I can't for the life of me, see how you ever received a SIDA badge and are allowed to work on the ramp.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Viscount724

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 am

Quoting anstar (Reply 2):

And be careful what you discuss in e-mail. There was a news item in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago about someone who had booked a vacation trip from ZRH to the U.S. He had been there many times and once even worked there several years ago with a major multinational company.

He made his flight and hotel bookings and paid the fee for the ESTA travel authorization and that went through without a problem. A few days later when he checked in for his flight at ZRH airport he was advised that the U.S. government would not permit him to enter the country. Something had changed since he applied for the ESTA authorization and he was now on a no-fly list. And they don't give you a reason.

He thinks the U.S. security agencies (NSA etc.) are monitoring e-mail, especially when the data is held on servers in the U.S. (Gmail etc.)

A couple of days before his trip he had an e-mail exchange with a friend that jokingly used terms like "bomb", "explosives", and "flight" (e.g. "I hope your flight doesn't have a bomb on it.") He believes that exchange was monitored by the U.S. cyberspies and terms like "bomb" and "flight" flagged him as being suspicious and best kept out of the U.S.

In any case, he was out well over $1,000 for his non-refundable fare and hotel bookings.

Found these items referring to the relevant legislation.
http://rt.com/usa/news/surveillance-fisa-supreme-wiretap-324/
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/senate-nsa-monitor-emails-five-years/

Maverick623

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 38):
I can't for the life of me, see how you ever received a SIDA badge and are allowed to work on the ramp.

Because I haven't committed one of the 25 or so crimes in the last 10 years that would prohibit me from getting a SIDA badge.

Quite simple, really.

mjoelnir

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:35 am

As I mentioned before, while this WAS an overreaction on the airline's part, it's not like mentioning words such as bomb, hijack, etc. and getting in trouble for it is a NEW thing. IIRC, it's been taboo at least since the first person tried to hijack a flight to Cuba, etc. To paraphrase a judicial phrase....."Ignorance of the rules is no excuse".

Please show me a law banning using certain words in an airport, or the list of words in the what ever rules.
Perhaps there should be a big sign in front of the airport with a list of banned words.

Perhaps their ears are attuned to listen for the "B" word and that's what they picked up on.

It is the typical way, the terrorist, easily identified by using the word bomb.....?????

Does one feel stupid?

art

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 am

Quoting GilesDavies (Thread starter):
I think it was stupid he even used the word, but think their is an element of overreaction as he did not say he was carrying a bomb or make any threat.
Long time ago we went on a big family ski-ing holiday in Switzerland by car. One of my stupid nephews thought it would be fun to proclaim out loud that "we did not have any cocaine hidden in our cars" at the Swiss border. We were stuck on the border for a few hours while they strip searched his car. Idiot.
Quoting s5daw (Reply 5):

My view is similar to yours, s5daw, I think. People who state they are not guilty of an offence should never be penalised. Why are there security chacks at airports? If it is to find items that are intended to cause the destruction of an aircraft (eg bombs), people should not be penalised for volunteering information that thay have no such items.

I think the security services should be less "precious" about the procedure. When being screened for devices intended to destroy an aircraft who is more of a risk - someone who says nothing or someone who declares he has no devices intended to destroy an aircraft? Similarly, if someone declares to customs that they have no contraband is he more likely to have contraband than someone who says nothing?

mayor

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:07 am

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 41):
Please show me a law banning using certain words in an airport, or the list of words in the what ever rules.
Perhaps there should be a big sign in front of the airport with a list of banned words.

There may not be a law, per se, but all this has been going on for long enough so that almost everyone knows what can and cannot be said.

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 41):
Does one feel stupid?

Not even.....what about you? Having worked at the airport and traveled extensively, I knew what terms were taboo.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 40):

Because I haven't committed one of the 25 or so crimes in the last 10 years that would prohibit me from getting a SIDA badge.

Quite simple, really.

Ok......I'll buy that.....but, IF you worked at the ticket counter or security, would you refuse to ask the security questions and/or just brush off what a customer said? Could you take that chance? Can any of us that signed on and were cleared to receive a security badge, in turn, just flaunt the the rules and regs, no matter how silly they seem?

zckls04

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:25 am

Quoting robsaw (Reply 21):
Yes and no. Being "banned" by the airline is a civil matter not a constitutional rights matter. However, flying is most certainly a "right". In fact, you have a general right under the US Constitution to liberty, which in essence and has been supported by the courts, a right to do anything that hasn't been restricted except by due process of law.

US ≠ the World.
Four Granavox Turbines!

rcair1
Crew

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:40 am

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 27):
19.1.2 If You conduct Yourself on board the aircraft or at the airport so as to:
Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 27):
Since he failed to answer the security questions and instead choose to give stupid answers there are various reasons to offload and refuse him for future flights.

I saw nothing on these items that said,
If I ask you "if you are doing something" and you answer "no I am not doing that" - that I am violating anything.

Quoting Rara (Reply 31):
the guy having a bad day and stating that he DOESN'T have a bomb is suddenly the greatest threat to security ever.

He may not even been having a bad day. He (apparently) was asked did he have a bomb and he said no, I do not have a bomb.

If somebody asked you if you have change for a five and you answered, no, I do not have change for a five, would you think them provocative?

Very likely - there is more to this story than we know - but I find the responses here pretty amazing.

Quoting mayor (Reply 43):
There may not be a law, per se, but all this has been going on for long enough so that almost everyone knows what can and cannot be said.

Oh that is really scary. Let's hold everybody responsible for acting in a way that is perfectly legal but just 'not done'. Throw in a few cultural, educational and language issues...
Autistic people can answer in a very literal way.

oh my....
rcair1

RyanairGuru

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 44):
US ≠ the World

I was thinking the same. I find US Constitutional Law fascinating, but I couldn't fathom what it had to do with this thread!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Quokkas

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 am

I wasn't at the airport, so I don't know what was said or in what tone of voice. Was the man abusive, surly or unco-operative? Did he simply make a flippant remark?

If the latter it is clear that, as somebody once said, the problem with common sense is that it isn't so common. If he did make a flippant remark about not wishing to blow himself up and a petty official chose to take offence and exact revenge, that is sad. Sure, the man was an idiot for not realising the reaction. But equally the reaction is stupid. Banned for life for possibly making a flippant remark?

The silly thing about the security questions is that no self-respecting terrorist would advertise the fact that he/she wishes to blow up or do other harm to the aircraft, so the questions serve little or no useful purpose. Particularly after answering the questions, to prove that nobody actually believes you, you are forced to undergo further screening with metal detectors, trace explosives detectors, 'nudi-scopes" and random bag searches. Yes, the passenger must respond to them but it is sad an airport is no place for any humour whatsoever.

With the hysterical knee-jerk reaction - mainly to make it look as if something is being done - every sentence needs to be thought about. Never have a discussion about human population growth, describing it as a population explosion. You will be considered a risk. Never talk about a movie "bombing it" when it is a flop at the box office. You will be considered a risk. Never talk about somebody organising something and say, "it blew up in his face." All these and many more commonplace expressions are potential security risks.

Give me a break. I call can say is that I am glad that India had the good sense to change Bombay to Mumbai, otherwise a great many more passengers could be on easyJet's unwelcome list.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

tonystan

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:50 am

Right I'm rounding up my view of all of this!

Basically we have a claim that this man said this idiotic comment and got turfed out of an airport and banned from an airline. We have a claim that he said what he said and it was to deny he had a bomb! Well, I and many people here on this forum are all to well aware of the poor standards of the British Media and how they enjoy taking the side of the poor victimised little guy against a large scary organisation! Sure, lets hark back a few days to the wonderfully insightful reporting of the Daily Mail and its TERRIFYING report of a broken door seal on an EK A380!!!!!!!!

This man in my mind clearly antagonised the situation. There is far more to this than meets the eye and you can all sit here and go hysterical about the "reported" facts or you can like me just realise that this guy is probably no more than an imbecile pushing his luck with staff who's jobs are not worth ignoring a security breach!!!!!

Common sense is a powerful tool.....common sense suggests you don't wander into an airport, government building, police station, army barracks or wherever and utter the word "bomb" regardless of the context! No one could be that stupid, well except those who require signs outside these facilities stating what words are banned from being used inside!!!!

AR385

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:27 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 31):
Yes, the question "do you carry any bombs sir", if it is ever asked, could easily the most stupid question ever.

I don´t think the question ist hat stupid, in the sense that there is a reason for it and I believe it has to do wth profiling. My friends have told me that on the USA VISA application there is a question that goes like this "Have you ever had any intent to attack the US" or some sort. Who in its same mind will say yes? So I think this is the case here.

Maybe the intent of the question has actually disappeared and it is just a silly question nowadays. Don´t the EL AL people ask you similar questions?