Stitch
Topic Author

Speea Splits On Contract Vote

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:49 pm

As the earlier threads are now archived, time for a new thread.

The engineers voted in favor of a new four-year contract while the technical workers voted against it. Both parties voted to authorize a strike, however if a strike is called, the engineers cannot participate as they approved the contract and would continue to report to work.

Ray Goforth, SPEEA's executive director, said the union will ask Boeing to reconvene negotiations to come up with a contract proposal that technical workers will accept.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130219/BIZ/702199796

AeroWesty

RE: Speea Splits On Contract Vote

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 pm

For those of us not in the industry, what's the difference between an engineer and a technical worker?
International Homo of Mystery

3DoorsDown

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 pm

In most cases the people I work with, engineers have a full engineering degree from an accredited university while the techs have high school, or trade school education. A lot of my co-workers have gone through a drafting program at a vocational school. Engineers make the big bucks and techs make less. This is just my area of work. There are many jobs under the tech banner and I have no idea what they have for education. The good news about Boeing is it is very easy once you get in the door to further your education if you have the drive to do so. I would go into details of why we rejected the contract, but I don't want to slam anyone on a site I know "they" read.

cornutt

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
For those of us not in the industry, what's the difference between an engineer and a technical worker?

Basically, engineers design stuff on paper, and techs actually build stuff. There's more to it than that -- there are hands-on engineers, and techs who do drawings -- but that's the basic gist. The smart engineer knows to work with the techs, learn how they work, and collaborate with them on designs and revisions. But not all engineers are that smart. (And I say that as an engineer.)

kanban

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:20 pm

manufacturing and industrial engineers are techs, as are tech writers, safety staff, some test staff... It is a catch all ..