wrldtvlr
Topic Author

DL Enhancing US Transcon Product

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:39 pm

What really struck me is that they're adding widebody service. Reading this article it looks as if Delta is going after American's premium cross country traffic.

Quote:
New offerings include:
Sparkling wine in BusinessElite®
Copies of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today for BusinessElite customers, beginning later this spring
BusinessElite express meals beginning this fall
Complimentary headsets for all customers seated in Economy Comfort™ and Economy
Complimentary beer, wine, spirits and premium snacks in Economy Comfort in April
Complimentary movies and on-demand TV shows in Economy, plus free HBO® selections and new release movies for customers seated in Economy Comfort starting this summer
375 ml bottles of Hess Select Chardonnay and Meiomi by Belle Glos Pinot Noir available for purchase in Economy Class beginning in March
Starbucks coffee for all transcon customers, beginning this summer
Expanded movie and on-demand TV library, with up to 100 movies to choose from
Upgraded food for purchase menu including more kid-friendly and healthy options beginning this fall
All transcon flights out of New York's JFK will depart from T4, Delta's new international terminal, opening in May

Full article: Delta to Make Investments in the Customer Experience on Transcontinental Flights

LAXintl

RE: DL Enhancing US Transcon Product

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Is this not a rehash of the press release from last November ?

Delta Goes Wide-body On JFK-LAX Again (by g500 Nov 5 2012 in Civil Aviation)

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1757

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

G500

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Quoting wrldtvlr (Thread starter):
What really struck me is that they're adding widebody service. Reading this article it looks as if Delta is going after American's premium cross country traffic

I firmly believe JFK-LAX and SFO are the most important doemstic routes. Delta is right to invest in those routes

Even XOJet (a CL300 & Citation-X charter operator) is offering on-schedule flights from New York to L.A

let's see what American comes up with. Do they even care since they will be shifting most trans-cons to PHL

luv2fly

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):
let's see what American comes up with. Do they even care since they will be shifting most trans-cons to PHL

Why would they be doing that? That makes no sense at all.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ldvaviation

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

American already came up with "something". See the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20zshmYxhLw

First 5 A321's arrive in the last quarter of this year.

panamair

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):
Is this not a rehash of the press release from last November ?

No, the November press release focused on the flat-beds in J, whereas today's announcement concerns other soft product enhancements, not just to BusinessElite, but also to Economy Comfort as well as to regular Economy.

jfklganyc

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Delta has been enhancing lax and sfo transcons from jfk for 20 years. I have a sky magazine article about it from a high school band trip lga mco in 1996.

Things get refreshwd from time to time...but basically this is an opportunity for a fresh press release

The best thing delta has done for this route in the last decade is smaller planes and more frequency

Lax used to be 4 767 300 business elite a day. Sfo less.

The key to the business traveller is frequency and f product. They have both

Josh32121

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

What do you mean? AA has already announced their new transcon product to be offered on A321's. Big buzz about it on here. The DL product enhancements were largely thought to be a response to that announcement.

And I think your assumption that all transcon flying will be shifted to PHL is a multitude of adjectives including but not limited to crazy, clueless, bizarre, naive, etc. AA has a huge FF base in the LA and NYC markets, and JFK-LAX is arguably (as another poster suggested) the most lucrative domestic route in the U.S., and AA is the leader on it. They are not giving that up. Hollywood doesn't want to fly to PHL. They want to fly to NYC.

[Edited 2013-02-22 09:00:51]

[Edited 2013-02-22 09:03:06]

ldvaviation

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 6):
The key to the business traveller is frequency and f product. They have both

The key is corporate contracts. Delta continues chasing what AA and UA have owned for years.

BigGSFO

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

The most ridiculous thing I've read on a.net for awhile. AA will most certainly do what it takes to be competitive in the transcon market, most notably LAX/SFO-JFK.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Surprised to see Starbucks coffee in the offing. Thought DL had a thing with Seattle's Best. Nonetheless, I like the enhancements. Shouldn't be limited to NYC transcons though.

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Did I miss lie flats on 757s at DL? When/where/how?

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 8):

The key is corporate contracts. Delta continues chasing what AA and UA have owned for years.

I wish the business chased the improved product, but if it did, AA/UA wouldn't be the market leaders in transcons. On the bright side passengers have never had so many improved/ing products to choose from transcon.
E pur si muove -Galileo

panamair

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):
Did I miss lie flats on 757s at DL? When/where/how?
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1757

"....Sixteen full flat-bed seats on the updated transcontinental 757 fleet will be arranged in a 2-2 configuration and offer a 20-inch wide seat and an average bed length of 79 inches. Each BusinessElite seat will feature a high definition 16-inch video monitor. This fleet modification will also include changes to the Economy cabin, with 44 Economy Comfort seats offering 35 inches of pitch and 50 percent more recline, in addition to 108 Economy seats. All seats in the Economy cabin will feature a nine-inch video monitor, with standard 110v and USB power ports available at every seat...."

davescj

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 8):

And we have a winner!

This has to be designed to go head/head with United PS service.

Quoting DL WIDGET HEAD (Reply 10):
Surprised to see Starbucks coffee in the offing. Thought DL had a thing with Seattle's Best. Nonetheless, I like the enhancements. Shouldn't be limited to NYC transcons though.

I agree about the coffee. I wonder what that was about.

NYC is the prime biz destination. But I do wonder if PHL/BOS for example could support similar premium traffic. It would seem to make some sense.

Bravo for the enhancements.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

BigGSFO

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Thought DL had a thing with Seattle's Best.

Seattle's Best is owned by Starbucks, however my guess us that there was some behind the scenes negotiating with corporate contracts to position DL more favorably with the green giant.

Oy maybe Starbucks is buying DL. Let's the rumors begin.

(that was a joke)

[Edited 2013-02-22 09:39:53]

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 12):
"....Sixteen full flat-bed seats on the updated transcontinental 757 fleet will be arranged in a 2-2 configuration and offer a 20-inch wide seat and an average bed length of 79 inches.

Which seat is this? Any pics?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Bobloblaw

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Quoting wrldtvlr (Thread starter):
What really struck me is that they're adding widebody service. Reading this article it looks as if Delta is going after American's premium cross country traffic.

Their enhancements are a big "So What???"

You mean to tell me they didnt offer newspapers to travellers in C class previously????

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

AA will not be shifting most of their transcons to PHL...sheesh. We know what AA is going to comeup with PS style A321s.

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 9):
The most ridiculous thing I've read on a.net for awhile. AA will most certainly do what it takes to be competitive in the transcon market, most notably LAX/SFO-JFK.

There have been fat too many ridiculous thins said on this site in the past few months

panamair

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):

No pics yet...believe it will be the BE Aerospace Diamond seat with some DL customization...IIRC, seat is similar to the flat-bed seats CO was installing (and will be on the new UA transcon 757s)

redzeppelin

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Just did a check for April, and DL is charging $169 for one-way economy fares on LAX-JFK. Amazing. I don't know what the mark-up is for economy comfort, but the enhanced entertainment and catering make that a very attractive option. Medallions with free EC seating are getting spoiled with that. But the business fare are a lot higher on the same day: $1919 on the 752, $1973 in the 763 with flat beds. A one-stop via ATL in regular domestic first can be had for as little as $871.
Not sure how the fares compare to AA/UA... don't have time to look right now.

Edit: just checked--on the same day, AA charges $164/$1915, UA $169/$1920, and B6 $169. So they are all in the same ballpark, with B6 likely driving the low economy fares. I live in a market with no LCCs, and one-way fares like that still surprise me, especially for t-cons. I don't shop those routes very much.

[Edited 2013-02-22 10:07:08]

deltal1011man

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):

IIRC its base model will be like the CO C seat. DL will have some minor tweaks to it.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

PIEAvantiP180

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 18):

JFK-LAX, SFO have seen a lot of competition lately and its driving the prices down, and its not helping to see UA go to almost 15x daily on LAX, SFO-EWR so they can stick it to VX. At this point i can't see how any carrier is making any money on these transcon flights.

codc10

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 19):
IIRC its base model will be like the CO C seat. DL will have some minor tweaks to it.

So the business class products on the JFK premium transcons will have the same hard products... interesting. The only thing left to compete on is soft product, which Delta 'gets'.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 14):
Oy maybe Starbucks is buying DL.

No everyone thinks delta will takeover everyone/everything/every city. It would be delta is buying starbucks.

Aeroflot777

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Delta has always been my carrier of choice (whenever SU is unavailable), and I travel the SFO-JFK sector back and forth quite a few times a year. While the service is always great - never have any complaints, I was always surprised by the lack of proper IFE on the flights. The seat-back TV/movie selection on the SFO/LAX-JFK sectors is ridiculous, especially when compared to the offerings of B6 and VX on the same routes. Free selection is super limited and overall bleak. Back when Song was in existence, things were good and I made it a point to always fly with them, once the re-brand happened things went downhill in that particular department.

In any case, glad to hear that DL is finally sprucing up that much needed aspect of those trans-con flights. It's about time.

Aeroflot777

G500

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 9):

Easy tiger, easy... i admit that wasn't my best post ever but take it easy

AirAfreak

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 pm

DL needs to fix it's DineUp Program. Twice I have ordered meals from DineUp and twice nothing was loaded onto the aircraft. The F/A's response were something regarding to the time of day or lack of snack service, however, the DineUp Service is available on the website for the 11p red-eye LAXJFK and the 9p JFKLAX.

Headsets are already free in all cabins as of now in case anyone cares.

Glad to hear the return of widebody flights and TRUE Businesselite U.S.!!!!

Bon Voyage,

AirAfreak
Do you lead an Intercontinental life?

ldvaviation

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 21):
So the business class products on the JFK premium transcons will have the same hard products... interesting. The only thing left to compete on is soft product, which Delta 'gets'.

AA will still offer a true "F" product in a 1 by 1 arrangement with aisle access.

manny

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 pm

From what i see DL is just getting to 90% of what major European carriers offer. So no big deal. Its like you take away a lot and then offer some back after almost half a decade.

On another note i do not see the benefit of offering newspapers in this day and age. At some point airlines have to think of providing news via some interface that stores the news at time of departure in the inflight entertainment system for everyone to access. Would save a lot of trees.

MAH4546

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 18):
Edit: just checked--on the same day, AA charges $164/$1915, UA $169/$1920, and B6 $169. So they are all in the same ballpark, with B6 likely driving the low economy fares. I live in a market with no LCCs, and one-way fares like that still surprise me, especially for t-cons. I don't shop those routes very much.

UA has the highest average fares in the market, followed by AA.

Then VX, then B6 and last place, DL, despite having an F cabin while B6 does not.

And I doubt anybody makes a dime on these routes, but they are important in the grand scheme of things, especially in luring lucrative corporate contracts.
a.

cloudboy

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 pm

I think this also has to do with the upcoming changes to Skymiles. As fewer passengers are going to be getting upgraded on this flight (and it is already hard enough), they are starting to look elsewhere for East Cost/West Coast flights, and the fact is other airlines do provide better products. So, throw in free movies and headsets and hope you get a few of those customers back.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

klkla

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 26):
AA will still offer a true "F" product in a 1 by 1 arrangement with aisle access.

This is what was announced but I have a feeling Doug Parker will change this plan. The planned configuration for the transcon A321's is not practical and a waste of space. I would be willing to bet the configuration of the A321's will end up being closer to what UA and DL are doing on their 757's with lie-flats in business and more economy seats.

roseflyer

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:39 pm

The one thing I find of note is that SEA-JFK is a premium market route now. Not much is changing for SFO and LAX. Previously LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK have received premium treatment. SEA has been the standard 737NG domestic product. DL is going after SEA, and will be the only one offering anything above the generic domestic F from SEA.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

brilondon

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:43 pm

I like the upgrades. They could do away with the "free newspapers'; first of all they are not free, second newspapers are really just good for people like my dad who like to rehash what he saw on the news the previous night and second it is an antiquated medium from the 16th century. I think that those newspapers that they are supplying are out of date and really just a repeat of the news I did not care about the previous day. I do like express meals as well as the nice wine available for consumption in Y+. Shows that not all US airlines are in a race to reach the bottom.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

MAH4546

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Quoting klkla (Reply 30):
Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 26):

This is what was announced but I have a feeling Doug Parker will change this plan. The planned configuration for the transcon A321's is not practical and a waste of space. I would be willing to bet the configuration of the A321's will end up being closer to what UA and DL are doing on their 757's with lie-flats in business and more economy seats.

AA already re-confirmed the 3-class configuration with the merger announcement and the first batch of seats have been manufactured.

AA was very strongly considering switching to a 2-class configuration, until it spoke with a large number of studio clients who promised AA more travel if they stayed with 3-class. It is practical when you want to lock in the most profitable LAXJFK travellers.

I realize you really, really want AA service to degrade to US levels, but there are no signs of that happening.

If 3-class doesn't work out, then maybe a few years down the line, AA will switch to 2-class. But 3-class A321s are happening and are being delivered. And the A321 fleet is expected to number 20-22 frames (as opposed to 15 762s), as AA will be upping JFK-California frequency, and is evalutating how the product can be used effectively on MIALAX, which is the second most important route for studios.
a.

2cn

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Surprised to see Starbucks coffee in the offing. Thought DL had a thing with Seattle's Best.

Probably has something to do with Starbucks owning Seatles Best and the reputation the Starbucks brand has over Seattle's Best (When I see Seattle's Best I think of Burger King/Subway...while Starbucks with premium brands/locations)

AA94

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 pm

... then Doug Parker would be even more of a moron than we originally thought. AA hasn't become the Hollywood "go-to" on this route by offering a subpar product (*cough US *cough*). The types of people who fly LAX-JFK-LAX route want a dedicated, lie-flat premium product and are willing to pay enough to make that a reality.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 33):
If 3-class doesn't work out, then maybe a few years down the line, AA will switch to 2-class. But 3-class A321s are happening and are being delivered. And the A321 fleet is expected to number 20-22 frames (as opposed to 15 762s), as AA will be upping JFK-California frequency, and is evalutating how the product can be used effectively on MIALAX, which is the second most important route for studios.

There's a reason the 3-class product has stuck around on that route for so many years; it's a moneymaker that gives AA a slight advantage on that route.
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

jetlanta

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:42 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 28):
UA has the highest average fares in the market, followed by AA.

Then VX, then B6 and last place, DL, despite having an F cabin while B6 does not.

Simply not true. While DL is behind AA, UA and VX, it beats B6. This is true in 3Q12 and for the year ended 3Q12.

I'd also mention that Delta has, by far, the largest ratio of economy versus premium seats in the market compared to AA and UA. Its average fare SHOULD be lower.

That lower average fare has been buying Delta improved market share. In 3Q12, Delta carried 23% of the market which was second only to AA's 24.9%. That is a huge improvement versus where they have been. I'll also add, as I have many times before, Delta has been significantly handicapped by their JFK facility for years. That will change soon enough.

I don't expect that Delta is going to match AA in this market in the near term, but your constant characterization of Delta as a hapless wannabe in this market is not only tired, its inaccurate.

klkla

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:49 am

Quoting AA94 (Reply 35):
AA hasn't become the Hollywood "go-to" on this route by offering a subpar product

Have you flown AA on this route? It's not a "go-to" route it's a "going back to the 80's" retro disaster. The 762's on this route are in awful shape with an antiquated hard product & mediocre soft product and both DL and UA will have completely upgraded their competing product before AA even starts.

I realize you really, really want AA service to degrade to US levels, but there are no signs of that happening.

I don't really, really want anything. I'm just being realistic. A lot of people on here until recently said United's yields were so amazing with their three class product on this route and yet we see where that's going. I think AA is going to go the same route (and that doesn't mean they can't have a great two class product if they really try).

ATL

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:16 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 24):
Easy tiger, easy... i admit that wasn't my best post ever but take it easy

some people on A.net are very petty and take any chance they get to feel superior to others... Everybody makes wrong judgements, don't worry about it

captainstefan

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:24 am

Quoting panamair (Reply 12):
with 44 Economy Comfort seats offering 35 inches of pitch and 50 percent more recline, in addition to 108 Economy seats.

Isn't this almost double what the normal fleet of 757s carry in EC? This seems like they've decided to match the amount of seats UA offers in Economy Plus.
Long Live the Tulip!

ldvaviation

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:33 am

Quoting klkla (Reply 37):
Have you flown AA on this route? It's not a "go-to" route it's a "going back to the 80's" retro disaster. The 762's on this route are in awful shape with an antiquated hard product & mediocre soft product and both DL and UA will have completely upgraded their competing product before AA even starts.

I flew the route last year. It is not a retro disaster. The hard product was upgraded about 4 to 5 years ago. (Seats in F are not lie-flat, but only UA was getting those 4 to 5 years ago.)

In domestic F (J), AA's meal service is better than anything UA and DL currently offer.

PRAirbus

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 am

AA has been offering similar amenities in its Premium Cabins on JFK transcons for quite a while...  

MAH4546

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:13 am

Clearly you haven't flown AA on this route, as the interiors of the 762 fleet were entirely stripped and rebuilt in 2008-10.

The J seats are wide angle recliners just like UA and DL.

And I didn't realize the 175 degree flat seats in F existed in the 1980s. Interesting.

AA's soft product - from check in to on board to arrival - is bar none the best on the route, which is why it continues to win premium passengers and corporate travelers on trans-cons. But soft product is matter of opinion, so many will disagree, but people speak loud with their wallets.

It's new A321 product - which disappoints many such as yourself in the fact it's actually going to launch - will be absolutely class leading, and will also include a brand new soft product. Part of the new soft product launched in November with new food options.

I don't really, really want anything. I'm just being realistic.

Saying that AA won't take delivery of an announced and highhly toutd product that is a few months away from launching, and in which the interiors have already been ordered, is not being realistic. It's expressing a desire to not want to see AA improve its already market leading product.

If you want to claim that in 5-7 years, AA feels that 2-class is the way to go, then, sure, maybe that will happen.

[Edited 2013-02-22 21:20:26]
a.

crAAzy

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:20 am

You really need to pull your head out of the sand when you comment about AA - especially when you have no clue and no insight at all.

Yes - and from drop off, airport services, lounge services, premium inflight products, and arrival services AA on both ends still is the "go-to" carrier for the majority. Just look at the number of F seats they are planning for their A321s and that says it all.

questions

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:12 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 42):
AA's soft product - from check in to on board to arrival - is bar none the best on the route, which is why it continues to win premium passengers and corporate travelers on trans-cons.

Is DL considered a flying mobile home?

usa330300

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 4):
. Do they even care since they will be shifting most trans-cons to PHL

Clearly you are uninformed. They, the new AA, will not be shifting any transcon to PHL. It is possible they may add transcon, at the same time of continuing ops at JFK.

toobz

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Awesome to see DL continuing the push to better its products on offer. Of course the usual suspects are downplaying this. But since they fly AA anyway, I guess this is more intended for the DL cust that will appreciate these upgrades in service.

EricR

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:10 pm

AA already re-confirmed the 3-class configuration with the merger announcement and the first batch of seats have been manufactured.

AA was very strongly considering switching to a 2-class configuration, until it spoke with a large number of studio clients who promised AA more travel if they stayed with 3-class. It is practical when you want to lock in the most profitable LAXJFK travellers.

Airlines are a business and need to make money. While you like to tout the premium fares that AA gets on the transcon's, you seem to totally disregard the costs that AA has to incur to support a 3 class product.

While AA's premium 3 class strategy has allowed them to capture the Hollywood crowd / studios (more about hype than profitability), it is clear that it is extremely costly to support this strategy and has NOT proved to be a gold mine for AA. AA uses the 3 class layout to distinguish its product from other carriers, but in this day and age, it is not a highly or even marginally profitable approach.

Also, most corporate customers do not allow F class travel domestically, so the F offering benefits few outside of the studios.

jfklganyc

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Dude, turn on TMZ at 630. They're not outside the Delta or United terminals at LAX or JFK. And certainly not at EWR at all.

AA...That's where the stars are.

SkyTeamTriStar

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 31):
DL is going after SEA, and will be the only one offering anything above the generic domestic F from SEA.

Yes, DL is totally going after SEA in a big way. RA has said it again, on his latest code-a-phone message....SEA is DLs permanent, full-fledged, largest....."forever and ever".....West Coast HUB for Trans-Pac flying. So, this also comfirms your statement, too.