iowaman
Topic Author

PIT Update Thread Part 25

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Please continue the discussion here if desired.

Previous thead: PIT Update Thread #24 (by srbmod Sep 13 2012 in Civil Aviation)

southwest737500

RE: PIT Update Thread Part 25

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:22 pm

The PIT-JFK route ends today

[Edited 2013-02-27 14:35:29]
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

dabpit

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 1):
Te PIT-JFK route ends today

That is on B6. Correct?
Carpe Diem

southwest737500

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Quoting dabpit (Reply 2):

Yes

PITrules

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 am

A few months ago we had discussion about previous Concorde charter(s) at PIT. I have nothing else to add to that discussion, however I came across this photo I wanted to share:

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu162/JDawgphoto/SCAN0001_zpsc8ee6cde.jpg
Photo: Osprey Civil Aircraft/Christopher Orlebar
FLYi

steeler83

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:19 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 4):

Coolness! Thanks for sharing!

By the way, regarding the whole thing with AA and US possibly merging and the new airline having some 60 daily flights, I doubt that would last too long. Would the newly merged entity want to operate a minimum of 18 flights or so to New York (JFK and LGA)? I'm thinking PIT-New York will be right-sized. We might see 5x daily to each. LGA might have either more frequencies or larger aircraft since most of the New York bound PIT flyers use LGA, but that's my 2cents.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PITrules

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:53 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 5):
Would the newly merged entity want to operate a minimum of 18 flights or so to New York (JFK and LGA)? I'm thinking PIT-New York will be right-sized.

AA only serves JFK, once a day, and US Airways to LGA 7x daily. So I don't see much downsizing here at all. If anything perhaps a second JFK flight could be added.

Also remember AA is adding a 5th DFW, and 7th ORD. Interestingly, United will now also be adding a 7th ORD frequency as well according to Enilria's OAG thread, and DL a 7th DTW as well.
FLYi

PITrules

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:10 am

No surprise here:
"$500M drilling deal for Pittsburgh airport riles nearby residents"
http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/3...irport-county-rights#axzz2M4HQxYOM

"Dynamics of drilling are nothing new for airports"
http://www.timesonline.com/special_s...4-f5b6-5861-8b78-12d4121da2a1.html

"Budget cuts won't ground Spirit Airlines at Latrobe"
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...s-wont-ground-spirit.html?page=all
FLYi

USPIT10L

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 am

By the way, regarding the whole thing with AA and US possibly merging and the new airline having some 60 daily flights, I doubt that would last too long. Would the newly merged entity want to operate a minimum of 18 flights or so to New York (JFK and LGA)? I'm thinking PIT-New York will be right-sized. We might see 5x daily to each. LGA might have either more frequencies or larger aircraft since most of the New York bound PIT flyers use LGA, but that's my 2cents.

Why would you right-size what clearly is underservice? AA has only flown 1x daily JFK service for a while now, LGA is a US stronghold from here. None of the routes overlap--US has no service to ORD, DFW or MIA to speak up from here. I can however, see AA keeping their own station for a while and US staying seperate too for a while longer. As it is, AA can add no more mainline flights and keep it an American Eagle station. Five is the maximum mainline flights allowed for an Eagle station per their AA contract.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

steeler83

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 8):
Why would you right-size what clearly is underservice? AA has only flown 1x daily JFK service for a while now, LGA is a US stronghold from here. None of the routes overlap--US has no service to ORD, DFW or MIA to speak up from here. I can however, see AA keeping their own station for a while and US staying seperate too for a while longer. As it is, AA can add no more mainline flights and keep it an American Eagle station. Five is the maximum mainline flights allowed for an Eagle station per their AA contract.

Yeah,, someone beat me to that already. When is that fakockta AA contract going to be null and void? Even if/when AA and US merge it will be rendered as one massive Eagle station (massive in that it will become a 60-op AA airport)? That kinda sucks... Then again, as you say, they could remain as seperate entities for a little while...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PITrules

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 pm

PeoplExpress update, for what its worth:

"We are in the final days of the process," Morisi said, referring to the purchase of the charter airline."

"Newport News and the Pittsburgh airport are in the running to be the corporate headquarters for People Express, which, if successful, would create about 1,000 jobs, Morisi has said "

http://www.dailypress.com/news/newpo...extension-20130301,0,4957916.story
FLYi

flightsimer

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:39 pm

With US ops more than likely moving out of Pittsburgh, I know of a few buildings that will become available in a few years here for PE. The new ops center is a REALLY REALLY nice facility if you haven't been there.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

steeler83

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 10):

I guess that's pretty much the gist of the article? Unfortunately you need a subscription to view this article. As I've said all along, not holding my breath here...

In any event, if US and AA do merge, I really hope that renders AA's eagle contract null and void. For the airline to have 60-65 flights a day with 90 percent of them on eagle equipment would be silly. Not to mention, it would be a slap in the face to the local US FF members who will likely be transfered over to AAdvantage. I'm guessing there are still quite a few of those still around. Just my 2cents.

silentbob

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 12):
For the airline to have 60-65 flights a day with 90 percent of them on eagle equipment would be silly. Not to mention, it would be a slap in the face to the local US FF members who will likely be transfered over to AAdvantage.

If passengers demand frequency, then they will get RJs. If AA can reduce frequency and put mainline equipment on the route, they will likely do so. To characterize a decision like that as an insult is patently absurd. Then again, hyperbole like that is why I rarely venture into PIT related topics, or A.net as a whole very often anymore.

pit

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:50 pm

This is old but I thought it was intresting enough to share..

http://avherald.com/h?article=443c635b&opt=0

steeler83

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting silentbob (Reply 13):
To characterize a decision like that as an insult is patently absurd.

With AA, tho, I don't think demand has anything to do with it. PIT-MIA has more O&D traffic on it than PIT-BWI. Yet, PIT-BWI is served with a few daily 737s, while PIT-MIA is served with 2x daily E45s. AA has a contract to maintain PIT as an Eagle (or RJ) base. They have a maximum of 5 mainline jets allowed. All I am saying is I hope this contract goes away once the merger with US goes through. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense, at least to me anyway.

Then again, do the PIT travelers prefer higher frequency over higher capacity? I guess it depends on the route...

kkephart13

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:30 am

WN will start daily PIT-BNA on 9/29.
EVERYTHING i type on here, is the opinion of ME and not of any airline/company.

jfk69

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 pm

B6 is absolutely missed already as DL has flights in the $600 range. Such a shame B6 could not make it.

tooluther

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Am I reading correctly that FL will be down to three r/t's in the fall? I know they are shifting the connecting traffic away (and that must help justify the BNA flight) but that is a big drop from their peak.

steeler83

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 16):
WN will start daily PIT-BNA on 9/29.

I saw the article in the PG. Did I read that correctly that they only have 13 daily flights to 7 destinations? They fly to MDW, LAS, PHX, BWI, MCO, DEN, and TPA. So it looks like they're only averaging 2 flights to each.

For March 11, this is what I am looking at courtesy of WN's website:

MDW 5x
BWI 4x
LAS 2x
PHX 1x
MCO 2x (WN only)
TPA 2x (WN only)
DEN 1x

That's 17 just on WN metal. The HOU and BNA flights will make it 19 just on WN metal.

I remember when AA used to have PIT-BNA service. My mom flew that route on an AA puddle jumper back when I was about 7.

tarmacphotos

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Doesn't WN do PBI too?

kkephart13

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 19):
For March 11, this is what I am looking at courtesy of WN's website:

MDW 5x
BWI 4x
LAS 2x
PHX 1x
MCO 2x (WN only)
TPA 2x (WN only)
DEN 1x

That's 17 just on WN metal. The HOU and BNA flights will make it 19 just on WN metal.
Quoting tarmacphotos (Reply 20):

Doesn't WN do PBI too?

Yes, 1x Daily. However it looks like it ends for the season on 4/13.

Combining the WN/FL network. A average of 31 flights to 13 different markets (Including HOU and BNA and PBI). That will surpass DL on most cities served when FL/WN goes to all WN metal.
EVERYTHING i type on here, is the opinion of ME and not of any airline/company.

GSP psgr

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Nice to see more growth from WN. Nashville is a fun town, and the new service makes it much more conductive for me to get away for a weekend if I want.

Any guesses as to their next new market from PIT? My thoughts are that it's likely to be one of MCI or STL. I also wonder if they could make weekend service to MSY work.

steeler83

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:00 am

Yeah, I didn't include the seasonal services; I just included the city pairs that are available year-round. As for which cities might be next for PIT on WN, I guess MCI and/or STL would be next. I'd like to see IND, but I think that's a bit of a stretch, along with SAN or SEA.

DL is growing SEA, aren't they? If they, by chance, were to add SEA-PIT, that would be pretty much a p2p route, wouldn't it?

Looking at Faremeasure.com, now that PIT-BNA has 1x daily and that it has less daily O&D (143) than SAN (262) and SEA (263), I wonder if a pitch could be made for either one of those.

PITrules

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:24 am

Isn't it amazing what lower landing fees (via the new incentive program) will do wrt getting a new destinaltion or two? This is a route that Southwest could have added at least 5 years ago.
FLYi

USPIT10L

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 12):
In any event, if US and AA do merge, I really hope that renders AA's eagle contract null and void. For the airline to have 60-65 flights a day with 90 percent of them on eagle equipment would be silly. Not to mention, it would be a slap in the face to the local US FF members who will likely be transfered over to AAdvantage. I'm guessing there are still quite a few of those still around. Just my 2cents.

I would like to keep my job, Steeler83.   Even if they keep US mainline people upstairs, the ramp will likely be Eagle anyway. US is not happy with JetStream's performance. Also, don't forget, US has a very senior workforce here, they'll probably be looking at heavy retirements sooner rather than later.

Quoting jfk69 (Reply 17):
B6 is absolutely missed already as DL has flights in the $600 range. Such a shame B6 could not make it.

How many times do I have to say it, jetBlue's business model was/is all wrong for this market. Their primary business is not providing rock-bottom fares to JFK one-way. It's to connect people to their Caribbean and transcon networks, something they will be very unlikely to do with flights just to BOS in the future. They'll be gone from PIT in about a year, IMHO.

PITrules

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 am

Post-Gazette updated its article:

"Mr. Fitzgerald said that Southwest also is considering adding more service and more cities to its network from Pittsburgh, although he would not discuss specifics. But he added that West Coast flights could be "part of the mix."
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...om-pittsburgh-to-nashville-677974/

I don't trust Fitzgerald for as far as I can throw him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another destination, or eventually another frequency to HOU/BNA or year round PBI.
FLYi

steeler83

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 25):
How many times do I have to say it, jetBlue's business model was/is all wrong for this market. Their primary business is not providing rock-bottom fares to JFK one-way. It's to connect people to their Caribbean and transcon networks, something they will be very unlikely to do with flights just to BOS in the future. They'll be gone from PIT in about a year, IMHO.

I'd like to see DL give it another shot on PIT-BOS, only this time NOT use 50-seater tuna cans! CR7s or E70/75s would do just fine...

Quoting PITrules (Reply 26):
Post-Gazette updated its article:

"Mr. Fitzgerald said that Southwest also is considering adding more service and more cities to its network from Pittsburgh, although he would not discuss specifics. But he added that West Coast flights could be "part of the mix."
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...om-pittsburgh-to-nashville-677974/

I don't trust Fitzgerald for as far as I can throw him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another destination, or eventually another frequency to HOU/BNA or year round PBI.

The combined carrier will have 23 flights to 12 cities? Where are they getting their information? I pulled my info right from Southwest, and without FL, they'll have 19 daily flights to 8 or 9 cities. With FL integrated, they'll pick up an additional 6 to MCO and TPA, not counting ATL or their other FLA route(s).

Also, you gotta love the PG readers. When this article was initially published, someone posted to facebook:

"At this rate, maybe they'll open a regional hub."

You don't follow the world of aviation very well, do you? This is only one flight to one destination. Even with that new service, PIT is still a rather miniscule operation compared to some other WN markets.

On a related note, so much for the hopes of seeing a "Keystone One" livery. My how the mighty have fallen. After April, WN is down to serving only 10 markets nonstop from PHL. RDU, PBI, and RSW are gone by then.

southwest737500

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:47 pm

I totally agree with you. B6 will end PIT very soon I think this 4 daily BOS is going to be a disaster. If DL comes in B6 is gone

steeler83

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 28):
If DL comes in B6 is gone

DL did PIT-BOS before, but they failed. They had abysmal market share and a subpar product (3x daily cr200). I'm thinking B6 will go away before DL gives it another shot tho. DL has other fish to fry for now.

pit

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 28):
I totally agree with you. B6 will end PIT very soon I think this 4 daily BOS is going to be a disaster. If DL comes in B6 is gone

I dont understand why everyone on this thread has no faith in B6 and there PIT operations. No one has seen the numbers.. Now that JFK is out of the way, this leave room for greater profitability for this statoin. I think that all of you are wrong and that you will see some grwoth from B6 in PIT.

JetBlue1058

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Firstly to start off im a new guy to airliners.net but I have read these PIT posts for years now and enjoy them. Im from PIT and live and breath for this airport. i always enjoy reading steeler83 and pit posts on PIT.
On the topic of Jetblue i did get an email from the annoying JoAnn Jenny saying that they have a focus for LCC at the airport and that they are working with jetblue to try and get another route in Florida. She then said she cant be more specific at the moment but that they really want this route. I think she is probably talking a little bit of trash but it could be interesting.
JetBlue E190 seats, 5D and 16A= no better place in the world

steeler83

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Quoting JetBlue1058 (Reply 31):
i always enjoy reading steeler83 and pit posts on PIT.

Hey, thanks! Welcome to the discussion.  

In any event, this should be interesting indeed. I wonder which route this could be. I know PIT-MCO is going to be dominated by WN, as is FLL. I think those would be the best bets for any new FLA service IMHO. I think anything else would be more like p2p.

JetBlue1058

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 am

I think that one idea might be JAX. The reason why is it has offered incentives by PIT since it was popular in that servey thingy of new routes. JAX has a nice amount of jetblue routes but im not sure how the route daily travelers are. I find it funny how that servey that PIT airport put out has been taken seriously for the most part when I easily put in 10% of the votes for some of the routes. Funny how things works out  

silentbob

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:07 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 23):
Looking at Faremeasure.com, now that PIT-BNA has 1x daily and that it has less daily O&D (143) than SAN (262) and SEA (263), I wonder if a pitch could be made for either one of those.

While WN doesn't have any official "hubs" BNA serves as a major connection point in their network. WN has tried to avoid adding near transcon flights lately, I don't know that I would expect them to add any from PIT in the near future without some type of added incentive/guarantee.

crj900lr

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:21 am

the ramp will likely be Eagle anyway.

Don't forget about Piedmont possibly coming to PIT to do the below wing work.

PITrules

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 am

Quoting pit (Reply 30):
I dont understand why everyone on this thread has no faith in B6 and there PIT operations. No one has seen the numbers..

I don't get it either.

-If they were to discontinue BOS they certainly wouldn't be adding to the service like they have been.
-They outlasted Delta.
-When JetBlue pulled out of BNA and CMH, they ended both JFK and BOS and pulled out.

I could see B6 take a look at PIT-FLL. South Florida is a huge market and should be able to sustain more than the 2 Eagle RJs and one AirTran flight currently serving the market.
FLYi

PITrules

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:52 am

A few observations about the upcoming resumption of PIT-CDG:

-25 corporations have contracts for the flight.
-25% of tickets sold for the flight were bought outside the US
-The new departure time from CDG is 14:00, arriving at PIT at 17:10

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/europe

The departure time from CDG was previously one of the earliest flights to leave Europe, which restricted some of the connecting opportunities for passengers originating in Europe. The new departure time will afford much greater flexibility by allowing additional and more convenient connecting opportunities from India and the Middle East; as well as from within Europe as there should now be at least 3 connecting banks available instead of the previous one.

Hopefully this will greatly increase the amount of tickets bought outside the US.

"Palmer airport in Unity to add 250 parking spaces"
http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yo...rt-authority-parking#axzz2MkPSj5lf
FLYi

southwest737500

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Quoting JetBlue1058 (Reply 31):

PIT isn't that attractive to LCC beacuse of ther gate fees. JAX is a different story there attractive because fees are way lower and JAX is a better performer. Why would B6 waste capital on PIT if its not a big money maker. JAX has 3X JFK 2 BOS, 1 SJU, they are trying to get a slot so they can add DCA-JAX

JetBlue1058

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 pm

When you say it's not attractive did you see the nice incentives package the airport put out to carries. Although I think FLL is probably the most likely choice it won't have any incentives given to JetBlue while JAX does. The market in MCO has to much competition and ACAA won't support B6 on the route.

Cush

Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:41 am

Dumb article in the PG about a canceled flight for NK at LBE. Must have been a very slow news day. haha.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...led-because-of-bird-strike-678152/

I cannot wait til the day we post LBE Update Thread Part 1 =)
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

tarmacphotos

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:09 am

Quoting Cush (Reply 40):

Dumb article in the PG about a canceled flight for NK at LBE. Must have been a very slow news day. haha.

Sounds like another reason not to fly out of a small airport with no other options in the case of mx issues. At PIT, you more than likely could have gotten to your intended destination the same day on another carrier.

PITrules

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 pm

"Ms. Witting was upset because she said Spirit refused to provide passengers with food vouchers while they waited in the terminal. At one point, she said, the airline offered customers a $50 credit for a future flight. She was unimpressed.

"Who cares about a $50 voucher when you don't want to fly this airline again?" she said."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...led-because-of-bird-strike-678152/

Must be nice to collect a $50 voucher for a $9 ticket. The things people complain about, and think they are entitled to these days.
FLYi

USPIT10L

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 42):
Must be nice to collect a $50 voucher for a $9 ticket. The things people complain about, and think they are entitled to these days.

Pretty sad when the carrier issues you a voucher worth more than the price or cost of the ticket. This could happen on a legacy carrier too. Think about it, you spend say $250 on a discount fare, your flights get delayed or cancelled due to MX or crew problems and you get a meal voucher and hotel for about 75% of your ticket cost. If it drags out over multiple days, it's cost the airline more than the cost/revenue from your ticket in expenses due to the hotel rooms and food vouchers.

dabpit

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 42):

Only a few seats are sold at $9 but most seat were sold over $120 not including extra fees they had to pay.
Carpe Diem

PITrules

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:17 am

"Without JetBlue, fares from Pittsburgh to New York City go sky high"
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-new-york-city-go-sky-high-678202/

Good reading.

"It didn't take David Brooks long to learn how wallet-unfriendly trips to New York City from Pittsburgh can be without JetBlue Airways.

Accustomed to $200 round-trip fares to the Big Apple, Mr. Brooks was shocked to find that the cheapest ticket for a flight to a meeting in New York on Wednesday was about $874. That, he said, was even more than his boss paid for a flight from London to New York for the same meeting.

Mr. Brooks, who prefers to fly US Airways,........
"

Perhaps Mr. Brooks should have supported JetBlue, especially when they had 4 flights to JFK.
FLYi

USPIT10L

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:25 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 45):

Another useless article. Did anyone ever see any B6 advertising around here when they flew PITJFK? We're airline people; we know when someone flies here. Just curious.

PITrules

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:52 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 46):
Did anyone ever see any B6 advertising around here when they flew PITJFK? We're airline people; we know when someone flies here. Just curious.

Personally I think advertising is one of the most overrated things in the airline business. People book their tickets online, and JetBlue's name pops up on travel booking sites just like most other airlines. I don't see American or United advertising in PIT, or Spirit at LBE for that matter. Its not a lack of advertising that hurt JetBlue; its Pittsburgher's shooting themselves in the foot as usual by preferring US Airways and not the airline that makes the low fares possible. We've seen it when AirTran attempted a focus city at PIT, WN to PHL, and this is merely the latest example.

But to answer your question, I actually do remember some limited local advertising from JetBlue when they entered the market, including billboards on the way to the airport.
FLYi

tarmacphotos

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:06 am

I don't really fly to New York, but I do like the B6 product. Whenever I book a flight anywhere, I have always wanted to give B6 a shot, but always found the connections to/from PIT were inconvenient to go to the places I want. Everyone bashes US on here, but the fact is they more often than not offer the best connections and flights to the places I go from PIT. I'm sure if I had to fly to NYC a lot, I would have used B6 if the times were convenient. I definitely would prefer having their IFE over nothing offered on the US flights.

kpitrrat

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:19 pm

To me it seems like everyone is acting like these B6 JFK flights were leaving empty. From what I understand that is far from the truth. I understand B6 adores the business traveler (esp to a market like JFK I get it) but if the flights are doing well, why end it?

Does anyone have any numbers on the JFK flights?

Also, I don't know how they will be able to sustain 4x daily BOS flights come May. Including other airlines, it seems like that market may be saturated from PIT.