CALTECH
Topic Author

United Will Become United

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:26 pm

On April 1st, Continental Airlines and United Airlines shall become one legal entity named United Airlines. Some 250 aircraft will need to be re-registered with the FAA.

Slowly it is coming together.
UNITED Would Be Nice

777ord

RE: United Will Become United

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:30 pm

That is very exciting news!!!! I am a fully supporter of this merger and each check in the box is a great accomplishment!  

Is this posted on flyingtogether? I can't find it on our employee portal. You on the 27th floor, too?

warreng24

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Thread starter):
Some 250 aircraft will need to be re-registered with the FAA.

So, will the sUA aircraft be re-registered? Or are we talking about the sCO aircraft?

John

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Do you mean they will no longer be United-Continental Holdings?

par13del

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Thread starter):
Some 250 aircraft will need to be re-registered with the FAA.

Now that the sequester has kicked in and the FAA has advised of all the cuts in staffing, towers, traffic delays etc. etc. etc. will the timeline of April 1st be met?
Hey its a serious question, I'm simply going by what the President and Head of the various government departments have said, they are the actual managers.

rising

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 pm

At last- the sUA and sCO talk is frustrating and somewhat confusing at times.

Bittersweet though as it brings to the end of the line a company with a long, and proud history. But it's for the better. Gordon Bethune likes to talk about how when he joined Continental, the employees would rarely say I work for Continental, but rather I'm from Frontier, People Express, or TI. That was one of the first things he needed to change. He wanted people to say I work for Continental- and be proud of it.

Hopefully with new contracts, and the operations issues mostly behind them, everyone will be on the same page, and employees can say , at last, I'm from United.
If it doesn't make sense, it's because it's not true.

par13del

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Quoting rising (Reply 5):
Bittersweet though as it brings to the end of the line a company with a long, and proud history. But it's for the better.

Better for who, the existing workers and shareholders or their kids who are one day looking forward to working for CO the airline that their parents worked for and gave them a good life?
Just once in my lifetime I want to see a large transaction like this where folks say they only want the physical assets and will leave the name alone for another investor who may want to restart the brand and continue its heritage.

Polot

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 6):
Better for who, the existing workers and shareholders or their kids who are one day looking forward to working for CO the airline that their parents worked for and gave them a good life?

Better for the existing workers and shareholders as, you know, those are actually the people that matter in the company.. If their kids really want to follow in their parent's legacy they are still more than welcome to work for UA in the future.

Just once in my lifetime I want to see a large transaction like this where folks say they only want the physical assets and will leave the name alone for another investor who may want to restart the brand and continue its heritage.

Since that worked out so well for the Pan Am and Braniff brands. I'm sure that the employees of the original companies loved seeing the trainwrecks that followed helping to further tarnish the brand.

[Edited 2013-03-02 07:09:49]

JBo

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 7):
Since that worked out so well for the Pan Am and Braniff brands. I'm sure that the employees of the original companies loved seeing the trainwrecks that followed helping to further tarnish the brand.

Exactly what Polot said. Sometimes a brand name should just be put to rest. I worked for Midwest/Skyway, and as far as I'm concerned, there will never be another Midwest. Even if someone bought the brand rights and started a new company, it would be very difficult to capture the spirit of the original YX, especially in today's industry. Some legacies are just plain meant to be put to rest.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

777ord

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 7):

Better for the existing workers and shareholders as, you know, those are actually the people that matter in the company.. If their kids really want to follow in their parent's legacy they are still more than welcome to work for UA in the future.

Very well said! That was then, this is now. If you want United to be this amazing airline. Drop your personal vendetta's and pride and work together to make it happen. If you want the "friendly Skies" to be the friendly skies... ACT IT. Believe it. Embrace it. If not, get out of the way for those of us who do. I don't care if you're CO or UA. You're my colleague and I will treat you and with the same respect. I love how people act like this merger is the end of the world...

jayunited

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Bittersweet though as it brings to the end of the line a company with a long, and proud history. But it's for the better. Gordon Bethune likes to talk about how when he joined Continental, the employees would rarely say I work for Continental, but rather I'm from Frontier, People Express, or TI. That was one of the first things he needed to change. He wanted people to say I work for Continental- and be proud of it.

Hopefully with new contracts, and the operations issues mostly behind them, everyone will be on the same page, and employees can say , at last, I'm from United.

You are correct and I think we are finally starting to get there. It is tuff bringing two completely different companies together and trying to make them one. The easy part was rebranding the aircraft, terminals ECT. The hard part is getting the employes to come together and work together. I think United finally is focusing on that aspect that this merger will never work as long as the employees still identify themselves as sUA and sCO employees. Continental employees took pride in their airline and were sad, upset, even furious to see their name go. United employees took pride in their airline and we felt like the only thing that survived the merger was the United name. A lot of the horrible customer service that many passengers have experience since the start of this merger is because many employees are frustrated because they feel like their individual airline is being destroyed by this merger. But it is now time for all employees to let go of the old United and Continental and embrace the new United. Because if we don't then United will never actually be United. Finally the company is focusing on this problem and I hope all employees moving forward will take pride in the merged United and work our butts off to regain the publics trust and finally thru exceptional customer service remove this black cloud that has been hanging over this airline since the merger began. If we don't then then there may not be a United because customers do have choices and they can choose to move on to our competitors.

as739x

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:34 pm

At last- the sUA and sCO talk is frustrating and somewhat confusing at times.

Unfortunately not going away to fast. This is just a minor detail really. The airline still needs to get all pilots in the right place, the ramp and CS on the same contract (getting close)........and then there is the FA's.

There is a feeling the FA's contract talks will go for a while as they aren't in the same ballpark. So till that happens, your still going to have sub-CO FA's staying on their own metal or at the very least working in a group together and vice versa.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

SESGDL

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Quoting 777ord (Reply 1):

That is very exciting news!!!! I am a fully supporter of this merger and each check in the box is a great accomplishment!  

It's always so much fun to lose more variety, choices, decrease payrolls, wages and workforces, and to make richer the already wealthy.  

Jeremy

par13del

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Quoting 777ord (Reply 9):
If you want United to be this amazing airline. Drop your personal vendetta's and pride and work together to make it happen.

No personal vendetta, just a personal observation of the way business is today versus yesteryear. Business world today is about holding companies and financial institutions.
The bulk of the past great companies that have gone like the dodo were all founded and run by individuals who had a vision and worked hard to implement that vision, when those individuals passed away or moved on the companies in general loose their identify, most think that there is no correlation between that and making money.

Companies today are run from the top down, if the friendly skies are every going to show again it is going to have to start with management, they set the tone, workers are required to do their jobs.
I'm sure the general consensus is that if UA and CO employees were doing that this merger would have been much smoother and service to customers would be industry leading - some say it already is -.

If the AA / US merger comes off we will have 3 of the same, will be interesting to see how the industry goes in the next few years, legacy consolidation is over, only thing left from a legacy stand point is LCC contraction / elimination.

Goldenshield

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 4):
Now that the sequester has kicked in and the FAA has advised of all the cuts in staffing, towers, traffic delays etc. etc. etc. will the timeline of April 1st be met?

More than likely not needed. I'm sure that UA has already has a broker in OKC ready to strike with a stack of AC8050-2 forms, to be handed over to the aircraft registration branch at a specific time. The trick is that it will take time to process them to permanent registration certificates.

The big issue here, though, is that many countries won't allow an aircraft to enter with a temporary registration (one of the carbon copies from the AC8050-2.)
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Max Q

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:13 pm

A very sad day, Continental should have been the surviving name.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

tommy767

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 15):

Absolutely not. Continental's brand recognition was very poor worldwide compared to United.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Chicagoflight

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Outside the U.S. the Continental name was more known as a tire manufacturer

Jpax

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 16):
Absolutely not. Continental's brand recognition was very poor worldwide compared to United.

Yet it was the better airline.

[Edited 2013-03-02 12:40:30]

VC10er

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 18):

You all seem to have the post in reverse. Call it Continental and give me back my tulip!

The point of this post was for people to FINALLY stop it with comments like "Continental name should have survived" it's going to be a new airline: with an old name and an old livery! But new in terms that neither great legacy is coming back and a new great one will take their place. Hopefully. But I have to admit that the 3 giants we will be left with will be much the same.

I think UNITED should take the opportunity to become the most innovative and premium of the three.
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

tommy767

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 18):
Yet it was the better airline.

Definitely not by the end. Meals were BOB in Y, IFE was PPV, and the "Jeff McMuffin" was already a first class breakfast staple by 2010.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

FriendlySkies

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 18):

It's been almost three years since the merger announcement. The airlines previously known as Continental and United no longer exist, no matter anyone's opinion. There is a new airline that happens to be called United. It's time to move on instead of bickering like a bunch of 6 year olds at the playground, "yes it is, no it's not, yes it is, no it's not..."

Back to the original post, i am curious how they an legally merge the companies without joint CBAs? I always assumed that was the reason there still WERE two subs.

rising

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 18):

I am not going to take the bait.  

But I will add this- UAL was poorly managed prior to Tilton, with a corporate governance structure that was essentially a joke. The profits from the late 90's were not reinvested in the company, and labor was scapegoated for years of bad route planning, no capacity discipline, and over-leverage. Then you had the failed US Airways takeover, 9/11, and lastly bankruptcy, and the company simply never recovered from those issues and was left with the bitter perception many have of the carrier.

CAL was not always a poster-child of great management either. The company went through bankruptcy, twice, and was a complete disaster prior to 1994. They had time to turn things around though in better days for the industry and with better management.

The Go Forward plan from Continental is in place now at United, and I think they have made adopting CALs culture the biggest goal, thankfully. Jeff made it quite clear in an interview recently, that those who do not want to take care of customers either need to change, or leave. Goes for both ex-UA and ex-CO employees.

You might find this Q and A interesting:

http://www.towerswatson.com/assets/p...ight-Doug-Rose-United-Airlines.pdf
If it doesn't make sense, it's because it's not true.

nimool

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:26 pm

i though they already became one...
Iran Air, we take you there, we take you back!

RyanairGuru

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 pm

Quoting rising (Reply 22):
They had time to turn things around though in better days for the industry

While I loved Continental for the great carrier that it was, this is a very good point. By doing the whole bankruptcy thing during the 1990s the airline had the golden days of 95-01 to recover from that period whereas UA (and US, NW, DL) had that morale wrenching experience during some of the industry's darkest days. That made it much harder to move on.

At first I was very upset to see CO go, but having now flown the New United I have come around. United can be a truly great carrier, and holding onto the past isn't helping that happen. Both Continental and United are dead, it's time to create something new.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

united319

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:45 pm

It's very sad actually. Yes I am a former UA Employee, but I have a great deal of fondness for the CO Brand as well. I grew up exclusively on CO and UA airplanes. I have dear friends and family who work for both s-UA and s-CO. Both hate the other side and talk about how one is out to destroy the other. The CO people talk about how when they found UA, it was trash and they did't want to inherit it and were quite fine by themselves and how much better they are than United. The s-UA people talk about how the CO management want nothing to do with the ways of UA's business model and are out to get rid of all s-UA people. They feel as if they are being shoved into a closet to not be heard from again.

Both sides need to bring their best to the table and come together to create the worlds greatest airline. If we could stop time and look at both airlines in their hay day (UA in the 90's and CO in the 00's), they would be a force to be reckoned with.
It's Time To Fly

727LOVER

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Will the legal entity that was Trans Texas still exist?
Love Trumps Hate

strfyr51

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Quoting 777ord (Reply 1):

Yeah it was posted Thursday, Except in Tech ops because temp registration has to be installed by March 13th

strfyr51

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 am

Then thank Jeff the Next time you see him. He was the one who went on the "Chase" to find Tilton wasn't he??
He KNEW what the deal was, and that's probably why Kellner didn't take it. It is what it is now.
Nobody is happy. OH Well And HQ is in Chi-Town and the Houston guys Definitely aren't happy.
It will be interesting to see what happens in May when the retention contracts are over.
With all the caterwauling about "We gotta go home to Houston" I'm just waiting to see how many ACTIUALLY jump ship to get back to Houston. I'll bet 3 in 10 that came will leave. The rest will just say "screw it" and hang in there.
Now if we could just DO something about that LOUSY Coffee?? This merger might Really take off !!
That I DO blame Jeff for . Must be something wrong with his mouth to like that lousy coffee blend.

sulley

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:25 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 28):
Then thank Jeff the Next time you see him. He was the one who went on the "Chase" to find Tilton wasn't he??
He KNEW what the deal was, and that's probably why Kellner didn't take it. It is what it is now.
Nobody is happy. OH Well And HQ is in Chi-Town and the Houston guys Definitely aren't happy.
It will be interesting to see what happens in May when the retention contracts are over.
With all the caterwauling about "We gotta go home to Houston" I'm just waiting to see how many ACTIUALLY jump ship to get back to Houston. I'll bet 3 in 10 that came will leave. The rest will just say "screw it" and hang in there.
Now if we could just DO something about that LOUSY Coffee?? This merger might Really take off !!
That I DO blame Jeff for . Must be something wrong with his mouth to like that lousy coffee blend.

As a CO guy that lives in Houston, I'd jump at the chance to go to Chicago. Let's see, real city or not...
In thrust we trust!

Max Q

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:00 am

It's true United was known far better all over the world, as a VERY average Airline.

While Continental was not as well known, our reputation was deservedly far better.

As for Smisek, he is perhaps the worst airline CEO since Lorenzo and a terrible choice to run the largest combined carrier in the world.

His record speaks for itself.

cjg225

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:11 am

I agree in re the reputation of the airline.

I can see that United's reputation has won through. Another subpar experience with them the last two days.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

strfyr51

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 31):

right now we're running as 2 airlines and nobody is really talking as far as I can see. they really need to get it together. if one side is in trouble then BOTH sides need to know it and respond in kind to help but right now that's not the case so NOBODY knows what's going on. This is because the Contracts aren't settled so we still have Hatfield's and McCoy's
You would think with Jeff being a Lawyer he might have made contract settlement a PRIORITY! Theyy haven't done JACK with the Dispatchers!! They're stilll not talking to them yet!! This is NOT looking too great for Jeff as I see it.

cjg225

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 32):
right now we're running as 2 airlines and nobody is really talking as far as I can see. they really need to get it together. if one side is in trouble then BOTH sides need to know it and respond in kind to help but right now that's not the case so NOBODY knows what's going on. This is because the Contracts aren't settled so we still have Hatfield's and McCoy's
You would think with Jeff being a Lawyer he might have made contract settlement a PRIORITY! Theyy haven't done JACK with the Dispatchers!! They're stilll not talking to them yet!! This is NOT looking too great for Jeff as I see it.

Things did seem disjointed. I spent a lot of time the last two days standing at UA customer service desks dealing with my own flight issues as well as overhearing the issues of others at the variety of airports at which I found myself. The the end-result in some situations was satisfactory, but I was displeased with the way the issues were handled and the inflexibility shown.

You're right; they need to get their crap together.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

blueflyer

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:25 am

So now that there won't be separate sCO and sUA fleet, are we going to go through another round of flight re-numbering?
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

777ER
Crew

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:04 am

What does sUA and sCO mean?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

strfyr51

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 34):

I doubt it , but we sure might go through a couple of rounds of equipment changes when the pilots work out their seniority.
There are still some IT platform issues to be resolved with the Aircraft Maintenance Information system and the electronic Log book is the biggest. Expect that later this year.

N505fx

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:35 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 16):

On top of that, there is a good portion of us that remember Continental as a cut rate, constantly in bankruptcy airline that everyone wanted to avoid in the 70's and 80's. Plus, with nearly ZERO presence or brand recognition in Asia, why would you keep it?

strfyr51

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:40 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 30):

Y'know? I hear that sentiment LOT from the "Southern Guys" and I've YET to see any evidence of it !!
Better run? REALLY?!?! I see a LOT of micro management and finger pointing. And a LOT of passing paper with not much effectiveness if any. But I've YET to see "BETTER" .. I do see Different though..
Management Ran a REAL LEAN ship at United. No doubt about it. It wasn't what we wanted or liked.
It was was it was.. Haven't seen anything yet except more people. No evidence YET of "Better",
Certainly no evidence the Jeff and the Big guys have any CLUE as to what they're doing yet.
But there ARE 200 more VP's and Thousands of Directors of "Not Much" ,( which I'm almost Sure we could do WITHOUT.)
Not much in innovation, a LOT of opinions with no basis in FACT. not much experience either in running an operation. And? Not a lot of tolerance for Ideas that might differ from what they THINK they already KNOW.
Other than That?? It's OK.!! Still looking for this Supposed "Culture"
Still doesn't seem like much of one to ME. Unless wearing Jeans to work is a cultural Shift. As far as I can see??Continental Management talks to Continental. Oh, but they finally got us on a common company E-Mail So we'll all see what "Pearls" of wisdom descend upon us. I'm not Bitter because we at LEAST have Some management besides Pete McDonald.. We've taken $700+ MIL IN LOSSES with CO running the ship so far si That can't be good. 2010 Contracts are still open in 2013 so that can't be good either. an IT system that could have been solved by now STILL not fixed, I do NOT see Better YET.. I'm Lookin' for it though!!

N505fx

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:40 am

Quoting par13del (Reply 13):
mpanies today are run from the top down,

You totally contradict yourself...Patterson ran his airline from the top down, Trippe ran his airline from the top down, Smith ran his airline from the top down....all of these companies were great because they ran from the top down.

AeroWesty

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:14 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 35):
What does sUA and sCO mean?

A way of referring to UA or CO post-merger:

sUA = subsidiary United
sCO = subsidiary Continental

... as in subsidiary of United Continental Holdings.

Pre-merger is referred to with the prefix of either 'PM-' for "pre-merger" or 'L-' for "legacy" before the UA or CO, author's choice.
International Homo of Mystery

N505fx

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 38):
Not a lot of tolerance for Ideas that might differ from what they THINK they already KNOW.

That seems to be the arrogance that pervades the behavior of Houston....quick to point out how inferior UAL was, but not so quick to point out that UAL ran a much larger, much more complex and much more established company than anyone in Houston could ever figure, and may I add, one that was financially outpacing Continental going in to the merger. It helps to reflect back to a Bethune comment in an interview, when asked what Continental owned, he said "this pencil". I hold nothing against sCO "coworkers" (well maybe little against those who held on too long and tarnished the appearance of the merger by clearing stating Legacy Continental in their announcements), but I do resent traveling public and all of the geeks here on A.net proclaiming that they were gods gift to the industry. Lets get one thing straight - they were a mulit-time bankrupt airline that didn't and hasn't innovated the industry...rather they bought off the shelf and did and superb job of PR and snowballing the world that they were much better than they are....all very Texas of them.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:05 am

This thread went downhill fast. Zero do to do with the OP.
You can't cure stupid

scbriml

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 30):
As for Smisek, he is perhaps the worst airline CEO since Lorenzo and a terrible choice to run the largest combined carrier in the world.

Don't worry, he won't be running the largest combined carrier in the World for much longer.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

astuteman

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:44 am

Quoting N505FX (Reply 37):
On top of that, there is a good portion of us that remember Continental as a cut rate, constantly in bankruptcy airline that everyone wanted to avoid in the 70's and 80's.

If I can offer the experiences of someone who has no horse in this thread..

I am fortunate enough to be able to compare flying CO in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.
What I remember is the transformation from an airline that, as you say, I wanted to avoid, in the '80's, to one that, in the 2000's I would go out of my way to choose over any other every time on the TATL's which were my primary experience.

They changed. A lot
They changed my perception of US majors. A lot

Quoting N505FX (Reply 41):
they were a mulit-time bankrupt airline that didn't and hasn't innovated the industry...rather they bought off the shelf and did and superb job of PR and snowballing the world that they were much better than they are....

If the new UA really wishes to succeed, then it needs to be open enough to recognise the weaknesses and the strengths that each of the former airlines bring to the table and merge them into the strongest entity.
That requires a measure objectivitiy from everyone involved.

I wish you all luck

Rgds

antoniemey

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 34):
So now that there won't be separate sCO and sUA fleet, are we going to go through another round of flight re-numbering?

Calling them rounds really doesn't fit. It seems (at least from my perspective) that it's an on-going process of number-changing with anything from one to a dozen local flights having different numbers per week.

Quoting N505FX (Reply 37):
On top of that, there is a good portion of us that remember Continental as a cut rate, constantly in bankruptcy airline that everyone wanted to avoid in the 70's and 80's.

In the 80s, yes, most people wanted to avoid CO... the 70s were CO's golden days prior to the Bethune era.

Quoting astuteman (Reply 44):
That requires a measure objectivitiy from everyone involved.

Sadly, at anything lower than the VP level, that's going to take a LONG time.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Max Q

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 38):

Y'know? I hear that sentiment LOT from the "Southern Guys" and I've YET to see any evidence of it !!
Better run? REALLY?!?! I see a LOT of micro management and finger pointing. And a LOT of passing paper with not much effectiveness if any. But I've YET to see "BETTER" .. I do see Different though..
Management Ran a REAL LEAN ship at United. No doubt about it. It wasn't what we wanted or liked.
It was was it was.. Haven't seen anything yet except more people. No evidence YET of "Better",
Certainly no evidence the Jeff and the Big guys have any CLUE as to what they're doing yet.
But there ARE 200 more VP's and Thousands of Directors of "Not Much" ,( which I'm almost Sure we could do WITHOUT.)
Not much in innovation, a LOT of opinions with no basis in FACT. not much experience either in running an operation. And? Not a lot of tolerance for Ideas that might differ from what they THINK they already KNOW.
Other than That?? It's OK.!! Still looking for this Supposed "Culture"
Still doesn't seem like much of one to ME. Unless wearing Jeans to work is a cultural Shift. As far as I can see??Continental Management talks to Continental. Oh, but they finally got us on a common company E-Mail So we'll all see what "Pearls" of wisdom descend upon us. I'm not Bitter because we at LEAST have Some management besides Pete McDonald.. We've taken $700+ MIL IN LOSSES with CO running the ship so far si That can't be good. 2010 Contracts are still open in 2013 so that can't be good either. an IT system that could have been solved by now STILL not fixed, I do NOT see Better YET.. I'm Lookin' for it though!!

You are right Str.

the last time CO was well run was under Bethune, we were still doing pretty well up until the merger but things were deterirorating.

Smisek has been a disaster.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 43):

Don't worry, he won't be running the largest combined carrier in the World for much longer.

I hope you are right. Just noticed that UAL' s cash position is down to 6 Billion, 3 billion less than when the merger took place and there is an enormous amount of debt.

Time is running out..

Stealthz

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 am

Quoting N505FX (Reply 41):
That seems to be the arrogance that pervades the behavior of Houston

Might be a Houston thing.
For some considerable time after the Hewlett-Packard takeover of Compaq(or merger if your company was based in Houston) there were many people, some quite senior that would answer their phone as "xxx of the Compaq team at the new HP" or subtitle their email signatures as "the Red Team at HP"
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

777ord

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Regardless of whether you think CO is better than UA. The majority of that feeling is because they prefer Bethune. Although I never worked under him. I do admire his ethics, dedication and loyalty to the brand. Perhaps it is THAT CO they want back.

I do remember flying CO years ago and was like, this is garbage....

Good things take time. Good things take time. just keep telling yourself that!  . Or.. "it's gonna be spectacular!" yea, if you're in F or J! lol

GALLEYSTEW

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:50 pm

IT HAD to BE named UNITED..........Continental had filed bankruptcy 2 times.........you can't file three.
All Posts are my opinions only.