will

N1 or E.P.R

Fri Mar 19, 1999 8:01 pm

G'day All..
l can believe that Rolls Royce and Pratt & Whitney continue to persist with E.P.R as the their main thrust indication for their jet engines. l personally like a N1 indication only like on the CF6 series and the CFM 56 series, with E.G.T and Fuel Flow close behind. ln an airliner, what would rather trust as your main power indication, E.P.R or just plain old N1...????

See yah...

Will...

will

Re: N1 Or E.p.r/spelling Error

Fri Mar 19, 1999 8:55 pm

G'day All..
l meant to say " l CAN'T Believe that RR and P&W ......... Blah Blah Blah ".. NOT "l can believe....." Sorry about the spelling....:-)

Blame it on the Gin....:-)

See yah...

Will....

Fri Mar 19, 1999 9:49 pm

I think this question goes a little bit over the head of most readers here Will. Good question though....I like N1 better as well.

Fri Mar 19, 1999 11:26 pm

N1 will not give you anything, but N1 Revolutions per Minute..

EPR will give you the amount of air, passing trough the engine, thus showing you, how powerful the flow of air is.

let me bring in an example- you start your car on the ice-
you push your accelerator pedal, but.. you stand on the same place!
you look at the tachometer and you see, that your engine works, but you do not have any speed. so in that case Tachometer will be your N1 and speedometer will be your EPR. and, in order to read information correctly, I'd read speedometer...
and in every manual you will see, that the thrust of a jet engine should be measured with the help of EPR gauge, not N1.

Re: N1 Or E.p.r

Sat Mar 20, 1999 12:31 am

I would go with N1 as the fan speed compares to RPM's in a prop plane so it easier to compare adn

Re: N1 Or E.p.r/continued

Sat Mar 20, 1999 12:34 am

I am sorry about the error:
and I think that they both are very similar so if you can woek with one you can work with the other one with an read of a POH. But I would chose N1.
Iain

Sat Mar 20, 1999 12:55 am

And N1 indications cannot be changed by ice, snow or any other reason!

Hey Will!

Sat Mar 20, 1999 7:11 am

I tried to answer your e-mail message, but twice got the message "unknown recipient" from the system administrator.
See you...

JETPILOT

Sat Mar 20, 1999 7:23 am

I personally set my takeoff and climb power settings to my EPR for each engine. In cruise I set my power to the EPR and then once everything is stabilized I match all my N1's to the highest one. I personally like N1 power settings myself. It's a direct reading off of the gearbox. If I match the EPR's up in cruise flight then everything else will be off like fuel flow, and EGT's. When N1's match N2's also match. That's a pretty good indication of accuracy. EPR's do tell you one thing that no other guage will tell you however, and that's the condition of the airflow you are getting into the engine. They will tell you when you're accumulating ice in the inlet. Good question.

STU

What Is Iain Talking About!

Sat Mar 20, 1999 7:38 am

Does he Know?

Stu

Sat Mar 20, 1999 8:12 am

Yeah I know what we are talking about! Do you?
I guess not as you did not understand my post.
Iain

G5

Re: Hey Will!

Sat Mar 20, 1999 8:25 am

Hi.....Will is operating from 2 servers and even though he sends from one of them, the replies have to be addressed to the other.....very confusing! :-)
Anyway, his address for sending to is willant@corplink.com.au
HTH :-)