Tugger

TSA To Start Allowing Small Pocket Knives Onboard

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 pm

The TSA has made changes that now will allow small pocket knives on board passengers aircraft. The FA Unions have protested that it increases danger to those on board the aircraft and want the change rescinded.

I for one think it a sound decision and one that will not truly increase the danger on board (even the unions admit that tsuch knives pose little or no danger to pilots while flying).

Quote:
The Transportation Security Administration announced Tuesday that U.S. airline passengers will soon be allowed to carry small knives in their carry-on bags, a move that prompted swift condemnation from a flight attendants union.

The union for Southwest Airlines flight attendants called the decision "dangerous" and "designed to make the lives of TSA staff easier, but not make flights safer."

The changes were made public by TSA Administrator John Pistole during an aviation conference in New York.

Starting April 25, passengers going through U.S. airports can bring on board Swiss Army-type knives -- specifically, ones with blades no longer than 2.36 inches.

This marks the first time such knives have been allowed on board since security was heavily increased in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

Pistole told the audience that TSA screeners at the Los Angeles International Airport alone seized roughly 47 such knives a day over the last three months of 2012, according to Air Transportation World.

"Frankly, I don't want TSA agents to be delayed by these," he said.

The agency said the changes were made as part of its "overall risk-based security approach" and to align with the international standards and those of European countries.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/05/tsa-allows-knives-on-board/

Also now allowed will be lacrosse sticks, ski poles and small, souvenir baseball bats.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

LAXintl

RE: TSA To Start Allowing Small Pocket Knives Onboard

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:21 pm

The change is simply to better align US screening policy with those of our partner nations which do allow things like smaller Swiss army knives.

More interesting will be come January 1st, 2014 when the EU and most Asian nations remove the liquid restrictions.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jfklganyc

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Why?

Why allow a knife on board? Just for the heck of it?

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Wow a step in the right direction, I wonder if this is the start of some more common sense things to come...
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

ytz

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 pm

The 9/11 hijackers had box cutters.

A 2.36" blade is still substantial enough to cause serious injury. Forget terrorism. There will be people getting stabbed during simple fisticuffs. And there is zero reason, anyone will need one in flight.

I'd rather they ease up on all that food and liquid rules over this.

Tugger

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 2):

Because many, many people carry one with them all the time. I always used to and often still do "in public" because they are very useful and cars key just don't always work.

Quoting ytz (Reply 4):
There will be people getting stabbed during simple fisticuffs.

That's not going to happen. Why would it suddenly begin to happen now when it didn't happen before? Why not wait to see if it is an actual problem rather than just ban them? Otherwise we should ban everything that might possibly be harmful to others.

Tugg

[Edited 2013-03-05 13:29:15]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 4):
A 2.36" blade is still substantial enough to cause serious injury. Forget terrorism. There will be people getting stabbed during simple fisticuffs. And there is zero reason, anyone will need one in flight.

They are very convenient... I always carry one around. I probably won't need it in flight but I won't have to throw mine away in the trash can because I forgot to leave it home. Minus 9/11 (which passengers and pilots have shown won't be allowed to happen the same way again,) was there a knife problem before the pocket knife ban?

skipness1E

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 pm

The FAs were badly cut on 9/11, you can do serious damage with a box cutter if you're a nutter.

TK787

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Is it still OK to carry matches or a lighter on board?
Thanks.

flyingturtle

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 4):
A 2.36" blade

Exactly the length of a Swiss Army knife's blade. Coincidence?

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Maverick623

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 2):
Why?

Quoting ytz (Reply 4):
And there is zero reason, anyone will need one in flight.

Why is it that we all of a sudden need "reasons" for going about our daily business? Last I checked, one of the founding principles of the US was freedom, the freedom to do as one pleases, so long as it doesn't violate anyone's basic rights. And the burden of proof for that lies with the state, not the individual.

Quoting ytz (Reply 4):
There will be people getting stabbed during simple fisticuffs.

No, there won't be.

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 7):
you can do serious damage with a box cutter if you're a nutter.

You can do serious damage with your fists if you're a nutter. I've seen it. Should we require all passengers be bound and gagged too?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 9):
Quoting ytz (Reply 4):
A 2.36" blade

Exactly the length of a Swiss Army knife's blade. Coincidence?

Ever visit a Victorinox store in Switzerland? There must be a hundred models of knives.

max550

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 pm

It's about time. The reinforced and secured cockpit doors alone prevent small knives from being dangerous to the flight, even before you consider all the other changes that have happened since 9/11.
I'm glad there's one less thing to have to remember to not bring to the airport with you. Those small pocket tools can be very expensive.

Quoting ytz (Reply 4):

People carry knives like that everywhere else and it's very rare that someone gets stabbed randomly with one. How often have you seen simple fisticuffs on aircraft anyway? I believe that's very rare as well (since it's national news every time it happens).

Quoting TK787 (Reply 8):

Is it still OK to carry matches or a lighter on board?
Thanks.

I think they were banned for a little while after the shoe bomber incident but were quickly allowed again. The torch type lighters are still banned though.

NWAROOSTER

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 pm

A Swiss Army knife is still a weapon in the hands of the wrong person.
They should still be confined to checked luggage.
If someone is dumb enough to bring one through security, they are dumb enough to loose it.   
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

antoniemey

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 pm

or a fork, or a spoon, or a roll of duct tape, or...

really? The list of things you COULDN'T use as a weapon would be easier to list, yet we haven't banned everything imaginable from aircraft cabins...
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

PITingres

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Or an Ethernet cable. Or a sharp pencil. Or a necktie. Or fists. Or shoes. Or ....

The TSA rules are, or at least ought to be, about flight safety, not preventing some wacko from hurting someone else. The small knife restriction, like the liquids restriction, has no meaning for flight safety.

Box cutters ONLY worked on 9/11 because it was the first time. On the first couple flights everyone thought that they were just going to Havana, or Tripoli, or whatever. That notion was dispelled within the first couple hours and I'd be surprised to see a successful hijack with close-in arms, ever again. In numerous ways, 9/11 was a one-trick pony and I'm glad to see some of the more useless restrictions start to fall.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Maverick623

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 13):
They should still be confined to checked luggage.

Hot coffee is a weapon in the hands of the wrong person. Should we be banning Starbucks from airplanes, too?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

prosa

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 pm

Lacrosse sticks, really? As far as I know they're too long to fit in the overhead compartments, at least not easily, and obviously no one is going to have a lacrosse match aboard an airliner. Requiring them to be checked makes more sense.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 13):

Again, where are all the cases of people using 2.36" blades against others in an airplane? I think it's safe to say that 9/11 in the way it was executed is impossible this day and age

Should we ban everything that a "wrong person" can use to harm others?

Tugger

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Quoting PROSA (Reply 17):
Lacrosse sticks, really? As far as I know they're too long to fit in the overhead compartments, at least not easily, and obviously no one is going to have a lacrosse match aboard an airliner. Requiring them to be checked makes more sense.

Yes but that is an airline decision and not TSA. They just won't stop them from going through anymore.

Tugg

jayunited

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Majority of the flying public are law abiding citizens who are just looking to get from point "A" to point "B". I think the FA unions are concerned about the one lone person who just might be crazy enough to try something while in flight. And while the pilots are now safe behind reinforced flight deck doors most FA unions still see their people as being vulnerable even though the chances of some one using a knife on the aircraft is slim to none. So don't dismiss the FA's or their unions position just because you disagree with them they are just trying to make sure that the government does everything it can to keep their work environment as safe as possible.

Remember the ruckus s-UA pilots made when UA decided to remove the security gates off the B757 fleet? Sometimes pilots and FA just get use to certain security procedures and they don't want to see those security procedures changed or relaxed.

lewis

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:44 pm

If they should start allowing more things in the cabin, why not start with the more stupid bans, like toiletries. Why start from something that can actually be used as a weapon?

AWACSooner

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Yah...this won't end well. The first time some drunk pulls a knife on someone, we're back to square one...or worse.

flyingturtle

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 11):
Ever visit a Victorinox store in Switzerland? There must be a hundred models of knives.

There are hundreds of models, yes. The typical red ones - the ones you buy in tourist shops - share some of the tools, among others the large blade. The sharpened, cutting part of the blade is 2.36 in as I've measured.

There are other models, some that look like the Leatherman tools - they have longer blades. The actual current military-issue knife is this one, and should also have a longer blade than the typical red "tourist" issue:

Blade lengths (overall blade length, cutting + non-cutting part):
- Victorinox: http://www.smartknives.com/Swiss-Arm...e-Tools/Victorinox-Large-Blade.htm
- Wenger: http://www.smartknives.com/Swiss-Arm...Knife-Tools/Wenger-Large-Blade.htm

David

skipness1E

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Quoting max550 (Reply 12):
The reinforced and secured cockpit doors alone prevent small knives from being dangerous to the flight, even before you consider all the other changes that have happened since 9/11.

Are you sure they couldn't cut your throat and force entry by picking on the smallest female? How confident are you?

ytz

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):
Should we ban everything that a "wrong person" can use to harm others?

Except that they are still holding on to the liquids ban. And that's been broadly interpreted to ban pies on airplanes.

So they'll ease up on pocket knives and hold the lie on pumpkin pie?

That's my point. The liquids ban impacts passengers far, far more than the pocket knife ban. Just go stand by security and watch the number of cologne bottles, water bottles, drinks from the food court/coffee shop, or food that is chucked. On the other hand, I don't know too many people who (even if this ban were lifted) would attempt to go through security with a pocket knife.

So why the inconsistency?

SPREE34

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:39 pm

You can kiil a person with a #2 pecil, or Bic pen, in 3 seconds.

We have to quit looking at things, and start looking at people. P R O F I L E ! It works.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

Aesma

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:47 pm

I didn't know you could bring those aboard planes in Europe. Last time I flew my bottle of San Pellegrino was taken by security... And I lost a pocket knife (not a swiss one but an Opinel) while visiting the UK because there a knife is considered a weapon even in the street.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

OB1504

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 20):
Majority of the flying public are law abiding citizens who are just looking to get from point "A" to point "B". I think the FA unions are concerned about the one lone person who just might be crazy enough to try something while in flight. And while the pilots are now safe behind reinforced flight deck doors most FA unions still see their people as being vulnerable even though the chances of some one using a knife on the aircraft is slim to none. So don't dismiss the FA's or their unions position just because you disagree with them they are just trying to make sure that the government does everything it can to keep their work environment as safe as possible.

With the bulletproof doors now present on most airliners, it won't even affect the pilots directly if the TSA starts letting guns on board, but the F/As don't have that protection.

DariusBieber

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 am

TSA is a failing government organization. A knife is now okay, but I cannot bring on a bottle of water or shampoo over a couple ounces. Nice.
Darius Bieber

SPREE34

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:07 am

Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 29):
A knife is now okay, but I cannot bring on a bottle of water or shampoo over a couple ounces. Nice.

You didn't read the article. The fluid restrictions will go as well.

DariusBieber

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 30):

Hmm, I don't see it in the article...
Darius Bieber

Stabilator

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:17 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 30):

I read the article and saw no mention of lifting the fluids ban. What paragraph, please?
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

DeltaMD90

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 am

Quoting ytz (Reply 25):
So why the inconsistency?

Idk I already said I think it's stupid, guess I wasn't clear. I'm glad and surprised they became more relaxed on small pocket knives yet keep some other policies regarding items of less harm

kalvado

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 am

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 32):
I read the article and saw no mention of lifting the fluids ban. What paragraph, please?

probably confusion with first comment:

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):
More interesting will be come January 1st, 2014 when the EU and most Asian nations remove the liquid restrictions.

Braniff747SP

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

About time; frankly, considering the post-9/11 mentality, someone with a 2.36 in blade won't get far before he is toppled by everyone.

Hopefully, this'll pave the way to get rid of some of the other asinine rules in effect.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

DariusBieber

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 am

Quoting kalvado (Reply 34):

Ah so how would Asia-US or EU-US flight work with liquids? I'm sure many passengers will take expensive colognes with them from the EU and be able to take them onboard, then be forced to leave them at the TSA checkpoint if connecting to another flight. (Although there is a small window of time where one may slip it into checked baggage after arrival in the US, after clearing Customs)
Darius Bieber

SPREE34

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:26 am

Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 31):

Hmm, I don't see it in the article...
Quoting kalvado (Reply 34):

No, my confusion with a different source. The end objective seems coming inline with the rest of the world. So the fluid restrictions will change as well. Sorry. I've read this story in several sources today, and they all seem to have a bit different twist. My appologies.

globetrotter29

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 am

I fail to understand why a person would need to bring a readily accessible blade of any length onto an aircraft.

airtechy

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 am

Sorry. I typically have no use for the knife. It's all the other tools in the kit...such as the screwdriver which I seem to need. Keep in mind not everyone checks luggage.

Jim

soon7x7

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:47 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 3):
Wow a step in the right direction, I wonder if this is the start of some more common sense things to come...

A step in the right direction would be to disband the TSA for good. Since box cutters were smaller than swiss army knives, I don't see the logic, but if this the current thinking then we no longer need to spend the tax dollars on the TSA. Given sequestration, despite it all...the TSA just spent $50,000,000 on new uniforms...    I don't see this logic as a step in any particular direction 'cept down. More stupidity.
The past has proven onboard PAX to be more effective @ subduing irrational/ threatening PAX than the TSA.

Quoting globetrotter29 (Reply 38):
I fail to understand why a person would need to bring a readily accessible blade of any length onto an aircraft

I use box cutter every day @ work, carry a knife always but I'm with you on this...absolutely no justifiable reason to have any weapon onboard a transport plane. If you going hunting?...charter a Citation...then you can carry onboard your 50 cal.

flyingturtle

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:12 am

Quoting airtechy (Reply 39):
Sorry. I typically have no use for the knife. It's all the other tools in the kit...such as the screwdriver which I seem to need. Keep in mind not everyone checks luggage.

I found the army knife perfect for cutting apples and cheese.

Very rarely I think of cutting apples, cheese and bread before I go on a longer railway voyage.

David

max550

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 24):
Are you sure they couldn't cut your throat and force entry by picking on the smallest female? How confident are you?

Sure, they could cut my throat. So could anyone whenever they want. I don't see why that would make the pilots more likely to open the cockpit door.

Quoting globetrotter29 (Reply 38):

I fail to understand why a person would need to bring a readily accessible blade of any length onto an aircraft.

Because it's something people carry with them a lot. Have you ever needed to open plastic packaging, boxes or unscrew anything unexpectedly? It's nice to be prepared if it happens frequently.

JBAirwaysFan

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:43 am

Maybe this is the plane crash survivor in me talking, but I'm really not thrilled with this.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

speedbird128

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 am

I can do

serious damage

with my hands. Should they be in checked luggage too?
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

boeing773er

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:00 am

I don't understand the point of this. Why does a pocket knife need to be on board with you in your pocket? I don't believe there is anything you are going to need to desperately cut in the duration of your flight and connection time. IF you really need to get something cut, I am sure a flight attendent or staff at the airport will be willing to help. May not be the most convenient thing, but it makes more sense then having a bunch of people running around with pocket knives.

It makes me slightly uncomfortable that this is allowed, I mean I know my odds of someone coming up to me and doing harm to me while on an airplane are slim to none, but still. You give people something small like this, and they abuse it. Now activists for less constraints of TSA will now just keep fighting harder.

Quoting max550 (Reply 42):

Well, you are on an airplane or inside an airport. What could you possibly need to cut so desperately? I mean if you buy something from one of those electronic stands or machines I could understand but some retailer would probably help you out.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 41):

I think you stated it perfectly, an army knife does have purpose. But just not onboard aircraft.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

Mcoov

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 am

Quoting boeing773ER (Reply 45):

Most people carry multitool knives, such as the Swiss Army Knife, or a leatherman, which have scissor tools, NOT JUST a knife like a box cutter or a butterfly knife.

I can list a few things people might decide to cut:
-Nails
-Plastic packaging of some kind
-Yarn (knitting) (Wait, are knitting needles still prohibited?)
-Paper

My opinion: I'm glad to see this. Most people can be trusted, especially if other objects that are just as dangerous are permitted on board. 9/11 can never happen again, partly because everyone on board now knows that they must collectively stop the threat. No one simply sits back anymore, and not even then did that happen (UA 93). Air marshals with firearms and trained FAs also help.

[Edited 2013-03-05 21:56:16]

[Edited 2013-03-05 21:56:46]

vegas005

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 am

Trained people can kill with any object or no object...even a pair of shoe laces can be lethal if used correctly. Banning small knives does not solve any safety issue. In fact in business and first class I am given "real" silverware now including a knife.

I carry a Swiss knife on my key ring that has a pen, light, tweezers and a small blade. It it a great item to have with me and it should be allowed to be brought on board.

Anyway the TSA lost me with their 50 million dollar uniform order the day before the sequestration kicked in. They are out of touch...

flyingturtle

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:35 am

Well, I get astonished looks when my "Army" knife lies on the table, with the blade folded out, in a railway coach full of travelers...

The normal red army knifes don't have lock, so when you apply enough force, the blade might snap back into the case, giving yourself a nasty cut. So it might be a good weapon to surprise somebody from behind and hold the blade to the throat, but I wouldn't use it as a dagger.

David

[Edited 2013-03-05 22:36:16]

XT6Wagon

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 am

I hate to say it... but somehow back before 9/11 I carried on a swiss army knife with a quite large blade and managed not only be let through security... but I didn't stab a single person the entire flight.

It remains that a knife isn't going to be an effective weapn on a plane as anyone trying anything would be both massively out numbered and the cabin is filled with things that also work as weapons. I very much doubt that terrorists are sitting around saying.... "you know what would fill their hearts with fear? If we go slash up a couple people in a plane before we get killed by the other 150 people in the cabin. "