Thom@s
Topic Author

Have You Seen The Concorde?

Mon Oct 23, 2000 10:27 pm

Hi all.

This may seem like a silly question to many, but I was wondering if you have ever seen the Concorde in real life? If you have, where did you see it.

I've only seen it once myself, at Stavanger - Sola. (Many years ago though.)

Thom@s.  
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

rabenschlag

RE: Have You Seen The Concorde?

Mon Oct 23, 2000 10:39 pm

twice but not approaching or departing - just sitting on the ground. once at LHR while i was going from FRA to BOS. once at JFK while i was going from FRA to CUN via JFK and MIA.

hkgspotter1

Mon Oct 23, 2000 10:43 pm

I have seen all the Airline operated Concordes. I know I saw one of the test aircraft in a museum in the UK.

I saw all the BA aircraft at Heathrow and Kai Tak. The Air France aircraft I saw in Hong Kong (Kai Tak and CLK). I've been on board one BA Concorde at Heathrow for a tour.

Mon Oct 23, 2000 10:53 pm

I was sick & tired of seeing it @ JFK

ahlfors

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:00 pm

I've seen a BA Concorde many a times at JFK. I also saw the "stranded" Air Fance Concorde at JFK after the crash. Also, once at LHR, my plane took off right after a Concorde, and we got a great view (and sound) from the taxiway.

Thom@s
Topic Author

RE: Aa777dr

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:08 pm

How can you get sick of seeing the concorde?

Thomas.
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

FaisZ

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:27 pm

I seen it while i was taxiing into LHR, it was parked and i also saw it when i was visiting Winsor Castle, and it flew above us. It was really special, everyone stopped doing what they were doing, turned and looked to the sky.  

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:36 pm

1998 in STR and in ZRH

NJTurnpike

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:39 pm

Having once lived very close to LHR for many years, I must have seen BA Concordes hundreds of times. They used to sit on the tarmac outside an old BA hangar, on the opposite side of the fence from the A30 heading into Central London (beyond the Hatton Cross lights). The overriding impression I had everytime I saw it was "what a small plane". I once drove through the airport, only to be stopped at the apron gate as one of the Concordes was towed across in front of me. This reaffirmed my opinion, seeing it this close.

The old apron and hangar has now been removed and apparently there is now a business / retail park in its place. Can anyone confirm this?

~NJTurnpike

FaisZ

Sorry, in my last post, i did not mean Windsor Castle, i meant LegoLand in Windsor :P

Hi,

I have seen an AF Concorde once. It was Parked at CDG Next to the Delta MD-11 I was flying back to Cincinnati. It was in June 1999.

mls737

Thom@s
Topic Author

RE: B737-700

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:40 pm

Where is STR and ZRH?

(Strassbourg and Zurich?)

Thom@s

Ilyushin96M

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:42 pm

Yeah, I saw one at JFK in 1992, at CDG in 1993, at LHR in 1994 - all on the ground at gates. The most spectacular, though, was when I watched an Air France Concorde take off from Brown Field, San Diego in 1988.

I found out when it would be leaving and drove down there from Coronado, which is where I was living at the time. I parked my car at the end of the runway and watched the plane taxy down, turn, and rev up for take-off. I couldn't actually see the aircraft at the opposite end of the runway, but I heard a roar and saw a big cloud of exhaust, then a white shape that grew in size until I could make out the on-rushing aircraft. I watched it lift off, rotate and then it shrieked almost directly over my head. I took pictures the entire time, capturing it from the moment it became visible until it had passed over, afterburners flaming. I went nearly deaf from the noise, and shouted, "VIVE LA FRANCE!!!" at the top of my lungs! What a rush!!!

Thom@s
Topic Author

RE: Ilyushin96M

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:45 pm

Sounds exelent.

Are any of your picture from that take-off on Airliners.net?

Thom@s

SAS_A330-300

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:46 pm

I have seen the Concorde in 1997 in Stockholm (ARN). It was a special flight to Paris operated by, of course Air France. I think that was the first time it visited ARN.

Best Regards, Simon Larsson
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

DutchAir

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:52 pm

I saw a few AF concordes when I was three days at CDG in June this year. One of them was the one that crashed on the 25th of July. It was quite impressive to see that bird taxiing so close to me.
Unfortunately it was probably also the last time that I saw the SST.  

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Miguel Snoep

"People are assholes when flying"

Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:01 am

I saw G-BOAF at the Oshkosh Airshow in 1998. Too bad it couldn't come this year because of the crash.

jabpilot

Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:10 am

I watched the Concorde depart from YYZ in the early 90's. I've also seen it take off from JFK a few times, the best being from the top floor window of the Radisson hotel at JFK. Awesome view watching it climb away from the runway. Jeff

raggi

Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:17 am

hello thom@s
liten verden ( small world in Norwegian ) or what ?
I live in Sandnes and I have also seen the concorde at Sola Airport and each time I`ve been at Heathrow
( three times ).
Stick & Rudder

Thom@s
Topic Author

RE: Raggi

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:00 am

Korleis visste du at eg var Norsk?????

Eg har møtt eit par svenskar so longt, kjekt å støta på ein nordmann og.  

Thom@s  

caribb

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:00 am

I have been lucky enough to see it at Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle and Montreal-Mirabel (Margaret Thatcher was using it to come to Canada).. and, better still I got a chance to go on it at Mirabel when they had it there to open the airport back in 1975 (1974?). Unfotunately I didn't fly in it but it was still cool to see from the inside.. very plain with very small widows. I presume they've changed the cabin design several times over since.

morecy

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:15 am

I used to work for Air France during my college summer years at JFK so I got to see alot of the Concorde. Even though it was loud as all hell taxing to the gate I'd be the only one up on the bridge standing there to watch it come in... what a sight !!!!

Also, whenever we did a departure I'd make it a point to get to the gate early so I could take a look onboard and sit down pretending to be a passenger. What a great plane !!!

AFa340-300E

Almost Every Day...

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:29 am

Hello,

I have seen the Concorde almost every day for more than 10 years as I can see the traffic CDG's southern runways from where I live.

I have also seen some BA's at Heathrow, the Air France Concorde at JFK and the G-BOAF at Paris Air Show in June 1997.

You may assume I really miss this aircraft!

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

airman99o

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:36 am

Hey there,
I saw the Concorde here in YYT in 99 I think that was the year or it could have been 98. Unsure. Anyway, It was here for about 10 days and I was at the Airport all ten of them. I have a bunch of pictures of it sitting on the tarmac but when the day came to take off, my freaking Camera wouldn't work!! needless to say I was not all that impressed. But when the Concorde was sitting with idle power the trees that were a good distance behind the plane were pretty much flat to the ground!! then it gave a shot of thrust. HOLY COW what a noise!! I was in my car and the entire car was vibrating. The plane then taxied to the furthest runway and was out of sight but you could still hear that beast. When it started its roll what a lovely sound! PURE POWER!! It took no time for it to get airborne and then to be gone out of sight!! What a rush!! I couldn't believe how loud that was!! And the Afterburners kicked in!! Just amazing!! I hope that it will come back to YYT so I can get some pictures. Oh and it was an Air France Model.

Airman99o
Safety is Everyones Responsibility.

AF-A319

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:44 am

I have been very lucky, because I was one of the few people who saw the last landing of Concorde @ CDG at the end of last month.
It was really moving, and all the Concorde lovers there fell the same thing.
Lou

fxra

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:20 am

I saw the concord in person once, when i was9 or 10 years old. They flew it into ATL for a charter or soemthing, and my parents pulled me out of school early and we drove up to the airport, watched it land. We were lucky enough to get in past security (Dad worked for Delta) and we walked out onto the ramp and got a up close look. I even met the pilots.

i remember it taking off later and blowing past thre 2 planes that had taken off in front of it.... (they had split left and right).

if they bring them back to service, i'm gonna do everything i cn to hitch a ride.
dees
Visualize Whirled Peas

g-beak

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:25 am

Seen BA at LHR, GLA, JFK and AF at GLA, JFK, CDG.

In the early 80's three BA Concordes came to GLA. It was great. I got the morning off school to go to the airport and I visitad the flightdeck (G-BOAA). I met John Hutchinson the famous Concorde captain (remember the TV kept interviewing him at Farnborough in August) and he gave me a leather Concorde luggage tag which I still have.

The first AF I saw was in October about ten years ago at GLA. I've never seen the airport so busy there were people standing about 25 or 30 deep. That Concorde might not be with us any more but I won't ever forget seeing it here.

Concorde and G-BHBR (the TriStar I had arrived on) were parked next to each other at the BA terminal JFK. I flew over them on the New York Helicopter and I really wish now I'd taken a photo.

The last Concorde I saw flew past my window about this time on the 3rd July. Hopefully it will be back.

To Thom@s

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:33 am

Hi

You're right, ZRH is Zurich but STR is not Strasbourg, it is Stuttgart, Germany.

Yes, I've seen the Concorde when it visited Basle-Mulhouse in 1989. I was just nine years old but my father took me to the airport. I remember that there were tenthousands of people.
It was the Concorde that crashed 11 years later...

Kind regards
BSL

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:36 am

Oh, I forgot the pics!

Click for large version

Photo © Ralph Kunadt

Click for large version

Photo © Ralph Kunadt

Click for large version

Photo © Ralph Kunadt

Click for large version

Photo © Ralph Kunadt

LH423

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:46 am

I have seen BA's Concorde's at JFK, LHR, and BOS. It really is amazing to see that bird in flight. So graceful! So beautful!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Joge

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:55 am

Hi,

These photos were taken at London-Heathrow only few days before the AF's accident.  

Click for large version

Photo © Jorgos Tsambikakis

Click for large version

Photo © Jorgos Tsambikakis

-Joge
Bula!

Thom@s

Tue Oct 24, 2000 4:03 am

ZRH = Zurich, Switzerland

STR = Stuttgart, Germany (southwest about 90mi s of Frankfurt)

Rgds, B737-700

astrojet

Tue Oct 24, 2000 4:24 am

I did in NUE, IBZ and LHR

Tue Oct 24, 2000 4:27 am

I saw it twice taxiing in Heathrow. And last time, I took a picture for it  

raggi

Tue Oct 24, 2000 5:07 am

thom@s
I read your user info, where it says you are from stord!
men husk å skriv på English, vett du  
Stick & Rudder

Peter

Tue Oct 24, 2000 5:08 am

I'v seen it five times. Once was a year or two ago. I say an Air France Concorde parked at T1 at JFK. Another time was august of 1999. I saw on in the air, while I was walking around London. Another time was also in August of 99, I had just come out of the train station at Windsor, and it went ovehead. It had just taken off from Heathrow. The most recent two times were both at JFK. This past June, I saw an Air France Concorde parked at the gate at T1, just like the first time I saw it. The best on was at the food court at T3 at JFK. A BA Concorde took off right outside the window. REALLY AMAZING, and LOUD!

Tue Oct 24, 2000 5:10 am

We park next to Concorde at T4 LHR everymorning. I do that flight 1 or 2 times a month. So that's how often I used to see the speedbird. I used to stay on the rear steps of our plane, while it is being cleaned, and watch it start up and taxi out of the next stand for BA 001 to JFK. I miss it so much now.
But when AF flew a Concorde to Malta in 1988, It stayed on a remote ramp for an entire weekend. I was lucky to spend the last afternoon on board, as the engineers prepared the bird for the return flight. I have many good pics, including one of me on the Capt's seat. Unfortuately, I cannot post any on Airliners as my scanner is not perfect (sic !).
Incidentally, anybody knows where the BA concordes are at present?

Adam T.

Tue Oct 24, 2000 5:47 am

Yeah, I saw it once at MIA. I was about 5 years old, but I remember it... . it was a British Airways one to!
Adam

contrails

Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:08 am

I've seen it a few times. When I lived in Ft. Worth I used to see it at, taking off from, or coming into, DFW. One night at a Texas Ranger game there was a huge harvest moon and the Concorde flew right in front of it. There was an audible sigh when everyone saw it. I'll never forget it.

I also saw it at Paris Orly a couple of years ago, although I don't know what it was doing there (aren't AF's based at DeGaulle?) I also recall, vaguely, seeing one at London Gatwick in the early 80's, although that's pushing the limits of my memory.

Flying Colors Forever!

Tue Oct 24, 2000 7:13 am

last time i saw Concorde, it was when i was in take off in air france 747 to montreal, they where all at the ground after the crasch... what a pity...

TWA902fly

Tue Oct 24, 2000 7:16 am

i saw it twice in 1997. I flew ORD-JFK-BCN-JFK-ORD and both times at JFK there was an Air France Concorde. Our TWA 741 was parked next to it on the ramp during a rain shower so there was planty of time to look at it. On the way back our 762 taxied by it. This was iin July/August 1997.

-TWA902fly
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

APP

Tue Oct 24, 2000 7:23 am

I've seen Concorde on the ground at LHR a few times and saw a BA Concorde land at Rovaniemi, Finland in 1995. It was still on the tarmac when we boarded our 757 flight later in the day. Beautiful.
APP.

Big777jet

Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:05 am

Maybe around 1985 or 86?? I went to Oshkosh EAA air show. The British Airways concorde was ready to take off roll at the end of the runway. I was standing to watch the concorde just perfect directly side of runway about 1,000 feet. I can feel so strong shaky through my whole body when the engines roar up! Wow, what is a great feeling! It was SO LOUD! Pretty cool to watch to take off and landing 40 minutes later. The concorde parked on the ramp so everyone can go look around the concorde. I touched the main landing gears wheels. I took a lot of picture around the concorde. That's great to see everything!

Also, I was changed planes in Dulles 1994 or 95? I saw the British Airways taking off while I was in the plane. I can hear roar engines.

Back in 1993, I flew to Miami for vacation. I found great spot to watching the planes landing on RWY 9L. I can climb the chuck concrete block on the top to able see everything airport just 2,000 feet ahead of runway side. I saw the British Airways Concorde landing. I took some pictures landing. It was great view!

That's all.

Big777jet

BA

Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:13 am

I saw one last year parked on the tarmac while landing at London Heathrow (LHR). Just this summer, I saw a Concorde in the distance fly over London, pretty close to Big Ben. I wasn't too sure if it was landing or taking off. I'm pretty sure it was landing since it was heading in the direction to London Heathrow (LHR). It was also doing some banks and turns. Beautiful aircraft.
Hope that helps!

Kind regards,
BA
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

APP

Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:27 am

Oh yeah, I forgot that when we were flying back from honeymoon in 96. We were flying over France towards LGW when the pilot informed us that if we looked out of the left hand side of the plane we would see an AF Concorde go past, in the same direction, on the way in to CDG. Sure enough there it was, way off in the distance, but its silhouette was distinctive enough to make out. I took a couple of photos but as you may expect it just looks like a speck. But when I look at these photos now, at least I know it was Concorde.
I could barely take my eyes off it at the time.
APP

MACH2

Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:59 am

About 6 months ago i had the opportunity of getting an up close view of an Air France Concorde at JFK airport. Air France used to park their Concordes at a gate located close to the main enterance road to Terminal 1 at JFK. I drove past the awesome bird just before AF001 was schedueled to depart at 8:00A.M. The sight of Concorde was so amazing i had to stop my car! Concorde was parked no more than 150 feet from my car. I was so close that i could clearly read the Rolls Royce labels on the engines. The plane looks even better in reality than it does in pictures! I couldn't have timed this better; several minutes later the gate was pushed back from Concorde and the engines were started. What an amazing sound that was! It took about 30 seconds for each of the jet engines to spool up and stabilize. To this day i will never forget the distinct whining sound of Concorde's engines. Up close the engines we so loud that my ears were still ringing 10 minutes later! But it was worth it!!
About 15 minutes after push back, Concorde took off from Runway 31L. It was greatest take-off I have ever seen! At first all I heard was the thundering sound of the engines at full power. It sounded like a string of fire crackers lit off. At take-off, Concorde is so loud it makes the 747 sound like a whisper! With the afterburners lit up, Concorde looked like a rocket shooting down the runway. Almost instantly after becoming airborne, Concorde turned sharply left and headed out over Jamaica Bay twords the Ocean.
It is a shame this wonderful Aircraft is grounded. Some day I hope to fly Concorde or at least get to go inside the cabin.

An-225

Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:39 am

I saw one in JFK when I was on a flight from SVO to JFK on October 21 1996, and I saw one later taking off.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

CPDC10-30

Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:41 am

Yes, I have seen it at the static display at YYZ during the Canadian International Airshow. It was either 1993 or 1994, I can't remember exactly I do have a few pictures of it.

Tarantine

Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:43 am

Once in 1984 it came to Hartsfield. I got to watch it takeoff since I worked about a mile from the airport. I have no idea why it came to ATL in the first place, but I am glad it did!

RT

aa737

Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:49 am

i believe I have seen all the BA concordes at LHR. having lived near LHR I saw a numch of concordes sitting on the ground everytime I went to the airport.

I also saw a test aircraft at a museum outside of london.

I once flew on the concorde LHR- Bridgetown Barbados a few years ago.

never seen any AF concordes in real life.