woodsboy
Topic Author

First MD-80 Freighter Arrives In Fairbanks!

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Everts Air Cargo's first MD-80 (MD-82) freighter arrived this afternoon at FAI. I knew it would be getting here soon but was taken by surprise while coming out of Safeway on University Avenue around 2:30 today. I thought initially it was one of Everts DC-9-30Fs but as it got closer I saw that indeed it was the long awaited MD-80. It is indeed the first MD-80 conversion to enter service and appears only once in the database as N73444 in Miami during flight testing. It is in full Everts Air Cargo colors and looks great. I got one shot of it on the approach but was unable to get a shot of it at the Everts hanger as it was not visitble from the nearest road. Im sure I'll be seeing it regularly and I promise I'll get a better pic!
Everts Air Cargo MD-82F arriving at FAI (PAFA) for the first time, March 20, 2013

N62NA

RE: First MD-80 Freighter Arrives In Fairbanks!

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks for posting - and clicking a photo too!
How come I can't upload an avatar photo to my profile?

ASMD11

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 am

Saw it taking off from GEG this afternoon on its way up, but wasn't able to snap a pic of it, she looked good though.

BryanG

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Does anyone know how much structural modification work the freighter conversion required?

Of course, I assume it received a proper cargo door (not like Airborne Express).

But, in addition to that, did it require any structural strengthening? Given how strong Douglas overbuilt its aircraft, I would be curious to know.

woodsboy
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 pm

According to Aeronautical Engineers, the Miami company doing the conversions, this is what they are doing to the MD-80SF
"The AEI MD-80SF cargo conversion consists of the installation of a 85"x136" cargo door on the left side of the fuselage and modification of main deck to a Class E cargo compartment. After conversion the aircraft can carry 12 88"x108" or eight 125"x88" unit load device (ULD) or eight 125"x96" ULDs. In comparison, the 737-400SF includes 10 88"x125" pallets and a 53"x88" pallet."

They also stated that there not need to be any flight performance tests for FAA certification as the conversion would not be modifying flight systems. I can only assume this is why certification was so fast and the first example has been delivered. (first flight Sept 28, 2012, FAA certification, end of October, 2012)

KELPkid

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Any info on the serial # of the conversion aircraft? Just curious as to where it came from  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

vatveng

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 5):
Any info on the serial # of the conversion aircraft? Just curious as to where it came from

It's this one:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ozell Stephens Jr
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Randall Johnson

lollomz

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 am

How many MD-80 Cargo will join the Everts fleet? Who ordered the other 5 converted ex AA planes?
[url="http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collection/Lollomz"]Image[/url]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos