DeltaXNA
Topic Author

AA To Bring Back Mainline To CRP!

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 am

This is not surprising news to me. What do you guys think? Are there any other cities that may get mainline back in the future?

I just noticed this on wikipedia! I don't know any other way to find new plans like this.

[Edited 2013-03-23 17:47:03]

iowaman

RE: AA To Bring Back Mainline To CRP!

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 am

Starts June 12. This is a noticeable increase to the amount of seats out of CRP. This may put a little more pressure on WN out of CRP - a station that from a load stand point does relatively poorly. Both MD-80's will be RON's and one will actually go towards a frequency addition:

Quote:
The airline announced that it will replace one of the seven airplanes in its Corpus Christi service fleet and add an eighth plane, both MD-80s.

MD-80 will serve the first of American Airlines’ eight departures to Dallas-Fort Worth each morning, Bridger said. The company will decide at the end of August whether to continue operating the larger planes out of Corpus Christi, she said.

Last month the airport announced a marketing campaign funded with a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. The grant program is designed for smaller airports that face challenges with air service, airfare costs and competition from larger airports.

Full article available here: http://www.caller.com/news/2013/mar/...-planes-first/?partner=yahoo_feeds

Edit: The reservation systems must be updating now, June 12th and after AA has no flights loaded on CRP-DFW.

[Edited 2013-03-23 18:44:37]

brooklynchris13

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 am

I think as the 319s and larger RJs come into the fleet and, eventually, the integration of US aircraft after the merger, you may see multiple cities regain mainline AA service, especially markets that currently have long RJ segments, a decent amount of business traffic that will utilize F service, or some combination thereof. Markets out of ORD would seem to be the first choice, then perhaps some of the long MIA spokes. Congrats to CRP though to start. If the economy continues to rebound (hopefully even more strongly) CRP will def. not be the last upgraded station.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)

Super80DFW

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:23 am

Summer time will be a good time introduce mainline service to this market. If AA continues with this practice of adding mainline flights to currently all Eagle stations, I could see PNS and LBB as two top contenders for the additions of mainline service. I'll be interested to see how this performs.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

DFWEagle

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:23 am

Quoting DeltaXNA (Thread starter):
Are there any other cities that may get mainline back in the future?

I think that DFW-LBB (Lubbock, TX) is also getting mainline back at the same time as CRP.
Ryan / HKG

TUSAA

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:16 am

Quoting DFWEagle (Reply 4):

Yep....LBB is getting 3 MD-80s as well.

CIDFlyer

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:01 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 3):
Summer time will be a good time introduce mainline service to this market. If AA continues with this practice of adding mainline flights to currently all Eagle stations, I could see PNS and LBB as two top contenders for the additions of mainline service. I'll be interested to see how this performs.

I've always thought PNS should receive some mainline from AA. Hopefully in the near future!

DeltaXNA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:12 am

What about CVG? Will they bring mainline back there or will they wait until delta gets off the route (aka closes there CVG "hub")?

I think the following cities should receive mainline from dfw that are not already or planned to...

AMA, CVG, SBA, MDT, BUF, PVD, JAN, SHV, MDW, HOU, GPT, VPS, PNS, TLH, CHS,

[Edited 2013-03-23 23:18:10]

lhcvg

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:23 am

Quoting DeltaXNA (Reply 7):

I've heard that one mentioned a few times, so it does get floated from time to time. I'd think a similar pattern to CMH with 1-2x wouldn't be out of the question at some point, but as you say that may have a lot to do with what DL does here going forward.

SurfandSnow

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 am

The trend continues! Like DL, AA has been busy upgrading several regional routes to mainline from its primary hub. CLE, LIT, and MKE, then DSM, now CRP and LBB! I bet this won't be the last of it, either. As it stands today, they could easily upgrade DFW routes like AMA, BRO, BTR, CID, CVG, GRR, GSO, HOU, JAN, LEX, LRD, MAF, MSN, PNS, SAF, SHV, and TYS to mainline. After the merger with US, they could add/resume stuff like BFL, BOI, BUR, LGB, OAK, and YEG.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

alggag

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm a little surprised; Corpus Christi seems to have declined quite a bit both economically and as a leisure destination. Last time I was there it definitely had that sense of a place that had seen better days.

CIDFlyer

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 9):
The trend continues! Like DL, AA has been busy upgrading several regional routes to mainline from its primary hub. CLE, LIT, and MKE, then DSM, now CRP and LBB! I bet this won't be the last of it, either. As it stands today, they could easily upgrade DFW routes like AMA, BRO, BTR, CID, CVG, GRR, GSO, HOU, JAN, LEX, LRD, MAF, MSN, PNS, SAF, SHV, and TYS to mainline. After the merger with US, they could add/resume stuff like BFL, BOI, BUR, LGB, OAK, and YEG.

Definitely would love to see CID get some mainline to DFW. This is a busy route, carries alot of business pax back and forth and I hear yields are really good.

United_fan

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:50 pm

I wish AA mainline would return to ROC   N/S would be nice to MIA  
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

Bobloblaw

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:31 pm

AMA, CVG, SBA, MDT, BUF, PVD, JAN, SHV, MDW, HOU, GPT, VPS, PNS, TLH, CHS,

Some of these are a bit on the small side. Plus AA doesn't even serve MDW and some of the others don't have nonstop from DFW.

I think AMA and MAF would be good.

Super80DFW

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:00 pm

they could easily upgrade DFW routes like AMA, BRO, BTR, CID, CVG, GRR, GSO, HOU, JAN, LEX, LRD, MAF, MSN, PNS, SAF, SHV, and TYS to mainline.
Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 13):
I think AMA and MAF would be good.

The only cities in here that would really be good candidates for mainline are BTR, CID, and PNS.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

realsim

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Great news. With new smaller mainline aircraft arriving (319s), the new cost structure, first large RJs for AA, and more feed being allowed, not only we will see many regional flights upgraded to mainline, but also new routes and destinations, so AA has an exciting future regarding network development.

By the way, does anybody here why AA doesn't fly to HRL? They do fly to nearby MFE and BRO airports, but also does UA and they also fly to HRL from IAH.

Quoting brooklynchris13 (Reply 2):
I think as the 319s and larger RJs come into the fleet and, eventually, the integration of US aircraft after the merger, you may see multiple cities regain mainline AA service, especially markets that currently have long RJ segments, a decent amount of business traffic that will utilize F service, or some combination thereof. Markets out of ORD would seem to be the first choice, then perhaps some of the long MIA spokes.

The first 319 bases will be DFW this summer and MIA around late 2013 or early 2014, so it seems that, for now, ORD won't see many 319s. I think that AA will first upgrade some current all RJ routes from ORD to E175s to see how they work, and then, when more 319s are available, they will start being deployed at ORD.

alggag

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Quoting realsim (Reply 15):
By the way, does anybody here why AA doesn't fly to HRL? They do fly to nearby MFE and BRO airports, but also does UA and they also fly to HRL from IAH.
WN's presence, probably. One of the big things going for HRL is that it's central to the towns of McAllen, Harlingen, Brownsville and South Padre Island. But, if you're already in MFE and BRO (which are also close to the Mexican cities of Reynosa and Matamoros) then HRL becomes kind of redundant. For what it's worth, AA advertises rather heavily with billboards around Harlingen pushing their service out of Brownsville and IMO many of them are written in a manner that is trying to target WN's customers.

As for UA, you're correct about them serving all 3 airports but HRL is their smallest at 4x, vs 5x at BRO and 8x at MFE (all to IAH).

[Edited 2013-03-24 10:18:30]

DeltaXNA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 13):
Some of these are a bit on the small side. Plus AA doesn't even serve MDW and some of the others don't have nonstop from DFW.

I know some of those I mentioned don't have nonstop to DFW, but they could add them...MDW is probably the busiest airport not served by American in the U.S. But they do have a major hub just down the street. But they serve FLL and it is very close to MIA.

flyguy89

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 am

What about CVG? Will they bring mainline back there or will they wait until delta gets off the route (aka closes there CVG "hub")?

I 2nd this, I've been waiting for AA to bring mainline back to CVG for quite a while. Currently AA operates ~6-7 daily Eagle flights to DFW, a prime candidate for consolidation to 3-4 daily flights with a mainline/Eagle mix IMO.

BigGSFO

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:39 am

As it stands today, they could easily upgrade DFW routes like
SAF

Can SAF handle a mainline jet, especially now that it's control tower is slated to close in April?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos