AF185
Topic Author

LH To Launch A Long Haul Low Cost Carrier?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:19 am

According to Bloomberg, LH is considering setting up a JV or a whole new carrier, to offer long haul low cost flights.
The main target is Asia to counter the competition from Gulf Carriers

Quote:
Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHA) is weighing whether to form a partnership with another carrier or start its own new long-haul, low-cost venture to help it expand in Asia, Chief Financial Officer Simone Menne said.

Europe’s second-largest airline won’t be able to keep pace with Persian Gulf-based rivals such as Emirates airline and Etihad Airways PJSC without a change in strategy, Menne said at a briefing with reporters in New York.

Whole story here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-cost-carrier-targeting-asian.html

We have seen Air Asia failing in linking Asia to Europe on a low cost basis. Can LH succeed there?

[Edited 2013-03-25 23:20:45]

Mortyman

RE: LH To Launch A Long Haul Low Cost Carrier?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 am

Well, Norwegian is gonna do low cost too. Remains to be seen who will be the most succesful ...

SASMD82

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 am

I'd say: transfer Swiss into a low cost carrier within the next few years. Their 777-300ER can do a very full trunk of people very efficiently!   

AndyEastMids

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:42 am

The Gulf carriers, from which Lufthansa sees the threat as coming, have built their business in part on offering a quality service, not a low cost service. I wonder why Lufthansa thinks something cheap and nasty might be the solution?

PanHAM

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:56 am

They are pondering all options, including retreat from those markets.

IMHO, a four class system, F J Y+ and Y- is already a LCC combined with a regular service carrier in the same aircraft.

Thje Guld carriers have 40% less costs than LH and there is no way that can be changed and offer a similar service.

powered by Eierlikör

seahawk

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 am

Low cost could also mean, lower operating costs. Think about an LH owned airline based in Asia.

JU068

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 am

I guess they would fly them to destinations where there is a considerable O&D market and where they would have to compete, not only with the Gulf carriers, but with other Asian carriers which have a lower cost structure- airlines like Thai for example.

I wonder if these flights would replace the Lufthansa ones or if they would operate from secondary airports. Maybe out of airports where Germanwings have a considerable presence so as to offer connections.

cuban8

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:06 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 1):
Well, Norwegian is gonna do low cost too. Remains to be seen who will be the most succesful ...

Remains to be seen if Norwegian will be successful at all...

Quoting JU068 (Reply 6):
Maybe out of airports where Germanwings have a considerable presence so as to offer connections.

I think you might be on to something. If this would be the case, I believe they would compete against Air Berlin and Condor, rather than the Gulf carriers.
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~

PanHAM

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:24 am

Quoting cuban8 (Reply 7):
Condor, rather than the Gulf carriers.

even Condor needs the connectiviy which is given only at FRA and MUC. DE has covered all the nich destinations around the globe and their only probem right now are the working conditions aat FRA.

If CGN, just to mention one, would be viable it would be done by Asian LCCs.

Of course LH can start, with a local sponsor, an airline in the UAE, may be at DWC. That would be fun to watch.
powered by Eierlikör

bavair

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:25 am

Could this have to do with the ongoing talks with CA about close cooperation? It wouldn't be their first JV (Ameco Beijing). Or TK?

JU068

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:28 am

Remains to be seen if Norwegian will be successful at all...

Didn't the Norwegian court rule against basing foreign crew in Asia? That could be a great problem for the airline.

I think you might be on to something. If this would be the case, I believe they would compete against Air Berlin and Condor, rather than the Gulf carriers

Well, I think this might be a response to the growing presence of the Gulf carriers all across Germany. Naturally both Air Berlin and Condor are not making Lufthansa's life any easier.

PanHAM

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 am

Quoting bavair (Reply 9):
Could this have to do with the ongoing talks with CA about close cooperation? It wouldn't be their first JV (Ameco Beijing). Or TK

Running an MRO shop reqzuires a local partner and is fully subject to local laws bsides the world wide valid JAA/FAA rules.

Running an airline as a JV is a different storsy starting from the traffic rights. A German compaqny would always have a minority when such a JV is ased outside Germany, Think what happened to JADE.

besides, both CA and TK home countries have different economic systems, not speaking of different cultures. Plus, we see what just happens inside the EU.
powered by Eierlikör

rutankrd

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am

Why not simply buy back the 1/3 stake in Thomas Cook - Condor.

Thomas Cook could do with the money and the Condor brand has been associated with LH for half a century

For most of that time it was wholly owned and operated both Mediterranean and Long haul Holiday flights.

[Edited 2013-03-26 04:00:35]

PanHAM

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:04 am

Buying back the Condor shares is an option, but LH and DE are co-operating anyhow since LH feeds the long haul flights of DE and there are few if any overlapping markets. At least not long haul.

besides that DE is not a real LCC but offeres certain services a true LCC does not, like connecting flights, through checked bags and many more.
powered by Eierlikör

jfk777

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:48 am

Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 2):
I'd say: transfer Swiss into a low cost carrier within the next few years. Their 777-300ER can do a very full trunk of people very efficiently!

This is the worst idea ever posted. Switzerland is Business center with rich bankers and people willing to pay for J class tickets. The reason for the 777 order is to carry more people then the A340 currently in the fleet. SWISS and Swissair have always been full service arlines and to suggest otherwise is wrong, if Eddelweiss should be expanded is another question. Eddelweiss is the LCC division of Swiss.

JU068

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:01 pm

It is interesting, just because it was mentioned here, that after six years Condor will be launching longhaul flights from Munch.
They will base two B767-300s and will fly to Santa Clara, Cancun, Mauritius, Mombassa, Montego Bay, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana and Varadero. They are also launching Bangkok from Frankfurt.

BrouAviation

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:07 pm

I hope that was tongue-in-cheek. As that is most probably the stupidest suggestion ever done.Switzerland is one of the highest yielding markets in Europe, and LX is one of the few parts of LH making money the way it is right now. And it is shockingly affordable to fly LX already, by the way. They come up as the cheapest option 80% of the time for me..

EDIT:

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 14):
This is the worst idea ever posted.

You beat me to it, was too eager to reply so skipped your post initially.

[Edited 2013-03-26 05:09:10]
Never ask somebody if he's a pilot. If he is, he will let you know soon enough!

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Quoting AndyEastMids (Reply 3):
have built their business in part on offering a quality service, not a low cost service

I think this is a major misconception--people fly the ME carriers because they are either cheapest or offer the best schedule, and compared to AI/PK and other carriers in the region, that's not hard to do. EK's product in F is nice, but otherwise is not particularly good in any way, but its India connectivity is industry leading. Nonetheless, people will pay a premium to go nonstop; whether it's enough to cover the increased costs is another issue. Ultimately LH needs to reduce its costs, not start another operation.
E pur si muove -Galileo

SASMD82

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 pm

This is the worst idea ever posted. Switzerland is Business center with rich bankers and people willing to pay for J class tickets. The reason for the 777 order is to carry more people then the A340 currently in the fleet. SWISS and Swissair have always been full service arlines and to suggest otherwise is wrong, if Eddelweiss should be expanded is another question. Eddelweiss is the LCC division of Swiss.
Quoting BrouAviation (Reply 16):

I hope that was tongue-in-cheek. As that is most probably the stupidest suggestion ever done.Switzerland is one of the highest yielding markets in Europe, and LX is one of the few parts of LH making money the way it is right now. And it is shockingly affordable to fly LX already, by the way. They come up as the cheapest option 80% of the time for me..

EDIT:

This is the worst idea ever posted.

You beat me to it, was too eager to reply so skipped your post initially.

Guys, this is called irony, hence my 'duck' at the end. Of course this will not be happening.

a3xx900

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Maybe rather a "Lufthansa Asia" based in DXB. Isn't the treaty still active that allows German carriers to operate routes out of Dubai (and EK routes out of Germany)? That way they could cut costs and offer services from Germany to Asia (with a DXB stopover).
Just throwing that out there. IMHO this is more feasible than LH starting a real no-frills service. As said above, costs would still be the same, and how much less frills could you get? Food for purchase? But that's it?
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

Skyguy

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

The Gulf carriers, from which Lufthansa sees the threat as coming, have built their business in part on offering a quality service, not a low cost service. I wonder why Lufthansa thinks something cheap and nasty might be the solution?

If LH can provide a service at a cheap enough fare to long haul destinations non-stop, thereby enticing those customers who currently use the Middle East carriers and their enhanced servicing offering, then this may be a successful strategy.
Problem is LH's costs, if they can not offer a fare which is high enough to make it economically viable for them, and low enough to attract customers, then this will not work.
However, the kind of travelers this is aimed at is the Economy class vacationers and the like (basically non-business travelers) for whom non-stop travel fares from Europe to destinations n Asia/Africa/S.America are currently too pricy and don't mind the stopover connection in DXB, AUH, DOH etc. It is this group of customers that LH want to target.

We have seen quite a few full service established airlines in Europe and also in the US try out having subsidiaries providing LCC services, but eventually none appear to have succeeded in the long term. Maybe LH has this figured out and can make a go of it.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

LH506

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm

I see it this way.

The cheap end Y customer to BKK, DEL, KUL, DPS...finds a cheaper one stop option from Europe with TK, EK, QR or many times AF-KL

The high end Y customer looks for flight convenience. From many European major cities you fly one stop via DXB, IST, DOH offering more destinations. LHs presence in Asia is rather shrinking, they left MNL, Jakarta, CCU, HYD over the last years, offer inconvenient less than daily one stops like KUL where the competition is non stop daily. Why would you pay to fly LH?

The C class passenger looks for the same as the high end Y. What is LHs distinguishing advantage? I think none. LHs is not bad either, but you would not pay more to fly them to pay the higher operating costs in Germany.

LH relied to long on their name and star alliance connections instead of building up and developing their own network including holiday destinations. Now it is too late. The business passenger enjoys TK as much as LH, the leisure passenger is long gone. I do not know how profitable the whole 1st class story still is, incl. limousine service, own terminal etc. Looking at the fact that KLM is highly profitable (at least from what I read here on the forum) without offering this, I at least have my doubts that LH took the right strategic decision.
NOT FLOWN: 707 717 736/9 77L 788 300B2 300B4 345 359 RJ70/146-100 F27 ATR72 CRJ1/4/10 E120/135/40 Q1/2/3 M87

TS-IOR

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm

They can bet on Condor and reinforce their traditional familial ties...
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

airbazar

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Low cost is not the same as no frills. It does not have to be "cheap and nasty". At the end of the day, the gulf carriers have built their business by offering a more convenient alternative and at times a cheaper alternative. 95% of passengers don't care about the perceived quality of the gulf carriers. They fly with them because they are cheaper. Nothing more and nothing less.

behramjee

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 pm

There are two things I feel that LH can do here instead of creating a whole new airline for this very purpose:

1. Order a bunch of B777-300ERs and configure them in more or less the same manner as Air Canada has for high density long haul operations i.e. 430-440 seats in a J / Y class configuration. Routes that can support such a high density layout include BKK, MIA, PEK, ICN, DEL, KUL, JNB, EZE and GIG.

2. If ordering a dedicated fleet of B77Ws (over a dozen required minimum) for this type of service is too capital intensive, then it could look into reconfiguring many of its A346s into a high density 2 class layout seating 380-390 passengers.

Question though...if the B748s had only the upper deck as J class and the lower deck as an all economy only, how many seats maximum could it accommodate on board?

SASMD82

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 24):
1. Order a bunch of B777-300ERs and configure them in more or less the same manner as Air Canada has for high density long haul operations i.e. 430-440 seats in a J / Y class configuration. Routes that can support such a high density layout include BKK, MIA, PEK, ICN, DEL, KUL, JNB, EZE and GIG.

OK, my idea to use the 77Ws that were ordered for LX (ok, it was a little sarcasm/irony) was claimed by jfk777 and BrouAviation to be the most stupid answer ever on the airliners.net forum (obviously these guys lack a sense of humour) but I am not kidding when saying a fully Y class equiped 77W to use for high density low cost segment makes sense. It is sooo efficient.

Question though...if the B748s had only the upper deck as J class and the lower deck as an all economy only, how many seats maximum could it accommodate on board?

Not sure too but these are still 4 engines. On the other hand, how many Y class seats would fit into a one deck Y class on a 748? Still think 77W would make more sense.

then it could look into reconfiguring many of its A346s into a high density 2 class layout seating 380-390 passengers.

Are you sure they will be able to put this many people inside an A346? Iberia puts 350 people squeezed inside their A346.

aloges

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Are you familiar with their current CEO? He's a die-hard cost cutter before all else.

[Edited 2013-03-26 12:05:14]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

MAH4546

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 pm

I don't think LH wants to eliminate first to Miami and Johannesburg.

The healthiest first-class routes include Frankfurt to Kuwait, Johannesburg, Riyadh and Miami, Lufthansa spokesman Michael Lamberty said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...s-fleet-below-british-airways.html
a.

mbm3

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Pack the coach customers in on top with lower frills fares and a la carte services and build profit with the cargo revenue below. Interesting concept and one that might very well work if it is run lean and mean...
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

airbazar

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:20 pm

There are two things I feel that LH can do here instead of creating a whole new airline for this very purpose:

Those ideas fail to create a low cost option which is the entire point of this exercise. The single biggest line item in a legacy carrier after fuel, is labor. A new brand/carrier is needed in order to take advantage of lower cost labor. That's why the gulf carriers and for the most part Asian carriers too make profits hand over fist. It's because their labor costs are cheap.

ytz

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 pm

The fact that they think an LCC is a solution to the ME3+TK shows that LH doesn't get it.

People travel by EK/EY/QR not just because of the fare (which are rarely ever the cheapest...though usually reasonable). Service is better and in some cases there are more options. They have flight attendants and counter-staff who speak their language. And the biggest reason of all is that they fly to places that people actually want to travel to. Add all that up and the ME3 have built a following in India and the Indian diaspora. I know people who don't have Jetprivilege or Aeroplan membership but have Emirates Skywards memberships and consider those more valuable.

Until recently, LH put some of its worst equipment on India routes. After flying an AC or UA trip to connect to LH, the whole experience will leave most with a poor impression of not just LH but Star Alliance as a whole.

Since discovering TK and its Comfort Class last year, I know that I will personally avoid the AC/LH combo to India for the foreseeable future. TK gets my business. I have booked 3 Comfort Class tickets YYZ-BOM with a 3 day stop in IST for May. I spent $6063 for those 3 tickets. AC/LH would never have won my business because they don't offer Y+. And when AC will offer it this summer, the prices look set to be utterly ridiculous with worse service than TK. For comparison, TK wants $2404 for a round-trip Y+ on YYZ-BOM in August. That's about 16 hrs worth of flying time. AC wants $1800 for for roundtrip Y+ on YYZ-CDG via YUL. That's about 8 hrs worth of flying time. TK is 7 abreast with 42 inch pitch. AC is 8-abreast with 38" pitch. Oh and LH? LH wants $2000 for the same trip in Economy.

Now that I can get decent service and a reasonable price on a Star carrier, if TK is flying to my destination, I won't even bother looking at other websites.

If LH actually wants a shot at winning customers into Asia there's a number of steps it has to take:

1) Fly to more destinations. For example, 5 destinations in India, no service to Bali, etc. is not enough.
2) Up some of their offerings. IFE, food, etc. Consider offering Y+.
3) Use bigger and better equipment. Why are they still sending ancient geriartic 744s to India with 17.5" seats in Y and a middle seat in J. Do they really think they can compete with the likes of EK with that?

HB-IWC

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Hasn't there been talk about LH converting a number of the remaining B744 in a higher density 2-class configuration. That could well do the job. Look for an immediate end to some of the existing LH routes in lieu of an operation by this carrier, be it under the Lufthansa name or something else. BKK, KUL and SGN are likely the first ones to go. MNL, DPS and CGK may be (re-)opened.

steve6666

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Sorry, I am confused

Quoting YTZ (Reply 30):
1) Fly to more destinations. For example, 5 destinations in India, no service to Bali, etc. is not enough.
2) Up some of their offerings. IFE, food, etc. Consider offering Y+.
3) Use bigger and better equipment. Why are they still sending ancient geriartic 744s to India with 17.5" seats in Y and a middle seat in J. Do they really think they can compete with the likes of EK with that?

1. Since when has Bali been an attractive high yielding destination for a European carrier? Or a high yielding destination for any carrier come to that? How many other European carriers fly to Bali?
2. They did more than consider it, they decided to launch it about 6 months ago didn't they?
3. How is the middle seat in J on Lufthansa any less attractive than the middle seat in J on Emirates? There was a singularly foul photograph of the middle seat in J on an EK 777 on the top photos page the other day. Emirates send their highest density aircraft to serve the Indian subcontinent, and with no offence but when you go through DXB at the same time as a flight from the subcontinent, it isn't exactly a heaving mass of high yield J and F class passengers.
A306, A318, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B73G, B738, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B764, B772, B773, B77W, B787-8, BAe-146, Cessna Something, DC-10, E175, E195, ERJ145, MD-11, MD-80, PA Something

Viscount724

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:50 pm

This is the worst idea ever posted. Switzerland is Business center with rich bankers and people willing to pay for J class tickets. The reason for the 777 order is to carry more people then the A340 currently in the fleet. SWISS and Swissair have always been full service arlines and to suggest otherwise is wrong, if Eddelweiss should be expanded is another question. Edelweiss is the LCC division of Swiss.

I basically agree with your comments, although I would say Edelweiss is the "leisure carrier" of Swiss, rather than an "LCC". The terms "low cost" and "Switzerland" are almost contradictions in terms considering the high cost of almost everything in Switzerland.

ytz

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:16 am

Quoting steve6666 (Reply 32):
1. Since when has Bali been an attractive high yielding destination for a European carrier? Or a high yielding destination for any carrier come to that? How many other European carriers fly to Bali?
2. They did more than consider it, they decided to launch it about 6 months ago didn't they?
3. How is the middle seat in J on Lufthansa any less attractive than the middle seat in J on Emirates? There was a singularly foul photograph of the middle seat in J on an EK 777 on the top photos page the other day. Emirates send their highest density aircraft to serve the Indian subcontinent, and with no offence but when you go through DXB at the same time as a flight from the subcontinent, it isn't exactly a heaving mass of high yield J and F class passengers.

You're entire argument is based on J and F in a thread about LH launching a long-haul LCC?

1. You missed my point. Bali isn't a high-yield destination. But it is perfect for an LCC. Ditto lots of places in South and Southeast Asia.

2. Right. We still haven't heard much about it. And we don't know if it'll be deployed to their LCC markets. My argument would be that Y+ and higher density Y with less J and F is probably how LH can compete in these markets.

3. Again. You missed my point. And moreover, you'd be surprised at the amount of premium traffic that there is to South Asia. A lot of the more working class folk you see at DXB are O/D. USA-India is far more premium oriented than UAE-India. Don't forget that the Indian diaspora in the USA is one of the most successful diasporic communities anywhere in the World. Average incomes are 20% higher than that of the average American. Yet, EK seems to have a better shot at capturing more of this traffic than LH. Like I said, there's more to that story than the price of the ticket.

[Edited 2013-03-26 17:19:00]

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 am

Quoting YTZ (Reply 30):
People travel by EK/EY/QR not just because of the fare (which are rarely ever the cheapest...though usually reasonable). Service is better and in some cases there are more options
Quoting YTZ (Reply 30):
And the biggest reason of all is that they fly to places that people actually want to travel to

I agree 100%

The ME3 are rarely the cheapest in my experience. Their biggest draw is network. For example, from Australia nobody can get you more places in Europe without a nice jaunt through LHR, FRA or CDG.

Also, they are perceived as providing a higher quality offering than QF or BA. We can debate that until the cows come home (I personally think QF is better than EK) but public perception is hard to shift.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 30):
I know people who don't have Jetprivilege or Aeroplan membership but have Emirates Skywards memberships and consider those more valuable

Same, I know several people with Skywards or EtihadGuest (or Krisflyer) status, but not QF or DJ. This is especially true of a people I know who travel to Europe a lot on business, but don't do domestic business trips. Don't forget that for us every trip to Europe is at least 1 stop, so QF really has no advantage in picking up that business.

Turning to LH, I think they need to look at the success of such ventures in the past. Obviously AC has just jumped on this bandwagon as well, but we need to remember that there has only ever been one successful LCC-within-a-legacy. JetStar's long haul network (ex-Australia) is built around just one destination: Japan. Australia is a massive tourist destination for Japanese, but it is a low yielding destination. Therefore the LCC is appropriate, just as the Euro charters serve Dominican Republic, Cuba, Cancun etc. The European market is different, as those big leisure markets are comprehensively served by the charters. As for, say, FRA-BKK we should look at the success of the LON-KUL and HKG-OAK attempts by AirAsia and Oasis to see the possible outcome.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

columba

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:55 am

My idea what could happen is that LH tranfers a few A330s to Germanwings and offer direct flights from DUS, BER and HAM.........
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

steve6666

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 am

Quoting YTZ (Reply 34):
1. You missed my point. Bali isn't a high-yield destination. But it is perfect for an LCC. Ditto lots of places in South and Southeast Asia.

2. Right. We still haven't heard much about it. And we don't know if it'll be deployed to their LCC markets. My argument would be that Y+ and higher density Y with less J and F is probably how LH can compete in these markets.

3. Again. You missed my point. And moreover, you'd be surprised at the amount of premium traffic that there is to South Asia. A lot of the more working class folk you see at DXB are O/D. USA-India is far more premium oriented than UAE-India. Don't forget that the Indian diaspora in the USA is one of the most successful diasporic communities anywhere in the World. Average incomes are 20% higher than that of the average American. Yet, EK seems to have a better shot at capturing more of this traffic than LH. Like I said, there's more to that story than the price of the ticket.

You introduced the argument about a horrible middle seat in J on LH in a LCC discussion and seemed to ignore the fact EK have an equally horrible middle seat in J. And the reason I am missing your point is because your action points were inconsistent with the rest of your argument. FWIW, I think LH would have to be nuts to compete with the Gulf carriers in a race to the bottom because they cannot get their cost base down to the same level for any given service standard. However.

1. Disagree. If Bali were an attractive LCC destination with a sufficient market for a Europe direct flight then the charters would fly there from Europe, and I cannot think of a direct charter - although I stand to be corrected. As a hub? Bit far east for a Europe-linked LCC isn't it?

2. Disagree, there have been two threads on here in the last two weeks.

3. I agree there very probably more to this than the price of the ticket, but large parts of South East Asia remain hugely price sensitive, in all classes of travel. I don't think though that it would be an effective strategy for LH to compete using an LCC as I still don't think they will be able to match EK on cost and therefore in the medium term price - unless the LCC is also going to connect from somewhere in Europe to the US/Canada/wherever. But if that happens the unions would go nuts and even then the cost of government regulation would I think make it non-viable.
A306, A318, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B73G, B738, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B764, B772, B773, B77W, B787-8, BAe-146, Cessna Something, DC-10, E175, E195, ERJ145, MD-11, MD-80, PA Something

PanHAM

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am

Back to the PR statement by LH, they are looking at all options, including pulling out of certain markets, which they have done already in India.

setting up an LCC based somewhere in Europe is a no go. Even with the Germanwings feed at CGN this would not be viable. Besides that, the yield management system successfully sells seats already for low cost prices, on their regular scheduled long haul flights ex FRA MUC DUS.

setting up a carrier at DWC which I believe in theory could be done would not be an option either. There is no legal security for such an investment.

Cooperation with carriers in the Middle East could be if there are any left). TK already coops in *alliance and happily competes direct at the same time serving every prime, secondary and tertiary city in Germany, supported by healthy ethnic traffic. I am waiting for Siegerland getting direct flights to IST, may be Kassel is first.