Gonzalo
Topic Author

Angry Passenger Destroys Gate, Computers ( Video )

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Please excuse me if this has been already posted, in that case please delete.
Personally I didn't heard about this incident and couldn't find a thread about it yet.

The video shows an airport security video record, whit an enraged passenger smashing computer equipment at Kunming, China, after being told he and his family had missed the flight. The man argues with the gate agent before losing his temper in front of his wife and two little kids. The man was later identified as Yan Linkun, a member of China's top government advisory board, and also deputy chairman of a mining company.
I found really amazing that not a single police officer or any kind of airport authority tries to stop him, I could bet that if you try this behavior in any US airport you will have "some problems" with police, TSA, and the infamous no fly list...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...ese-passenger-airport-flight-video

Rgds.
G.

[Edited 2013-04-03 10:34:23]
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / Fairchild-227 / Ab318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789

as739x

RE: Angry Passenger Destroys Gate, Computers ( Video )

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:32 pm

This was on Yahoo a month or two ago.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

SCQ83

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Luckily he was in China, in the US he would have been teased and beaten in 3,2,1...

Jerseyguy

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:38 pm

It's the old "but the plane is right over there"   
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

B727LVR

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:44 pm

I wonder if he was issued a redress number after this???
I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to planes!

YYZYYT

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):
I could bet that if you try this behavior in any US airport you will have "some problems" with police, TSA, and the infamous no fly list...

Try that at YVR and see what the RCMP does to you...

bennett123

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:08 pm

There seem to be about 3/4 Police/Security people just standing and watching all of this.

Quite incredible.

JU068

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 6):

What were they supposed to do? The man is a high ranking politician in China.

bohica

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Here we have another idiot who blames the airline for leaving on time.

The man was later identified as Yan Linkun, a member of China's top government advisory board, and also deputy chairman of a mining company.

Maybe he feels that the airline should wait for him because of his "status."

I found really amazing that not a single police officer or any kind of airport authority tries to stop him

Halfway through the video there are three men dressed alike that look like they might be some type of authoritative figures. However they just stand there and watch.

I could bet that if you try this behavior in any US airport you will have "some problems" with police, TSA, and the infamous no fly list...

There is obviously more to the video than what the Guardian provided. I would have liked to see more of the video to see how this little meltdown episode of his ended. He might be spending the rest of his life in a labor camp fixing computers.

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 6):
There seem to be about 3/4 Police/Security people just standing and watching all of this.
Quoting JU068 (Reply 7):

I noted the people dressed in uniforms, but I had the doubt about what they are really ( private surveillance? Police officers ? ). The guy probably never said who he is, or what position he has in the Chinese government... probably the reaction would be the same if he was "just" a farmer or a taxi driver.... Just my opinion anyway 
Quoting bohica (Reply 8):
There is obviously more to the video than what the Guardian provided. I would have liked to see more of the video to see how this little meltdown episode of his ended. He might be spending the rest of his life in a labor camp fixing computers.

Good point   They just say the guy "apologized" later...

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 5):
Try that at YVR and see what the RCMP does to you...

No doubt.... here in Chile we also have our "nice" airport security, and a behavior like this would let you in jail for sure at least for 12- 24 hours, and facing criminal charges.

Rgds.
G.

ozglobal

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 pm

The secret to decrypt this behaviour is the limitless sense of entitlement cultivated in someone who has known unmerited privilege over others: look at the endless energy despots invest in hopeless campaigns to hold onto power. A diabolical study in our human nature, warped by self-absorbed indulgence... "Do you know who I am..."?
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

ghifty

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 8):
Halfway through the video there are three men dressed alike that look like they might be some type of authoritative figures. However they just stand there and watch.

I suspect this is why: "The man was later identified as Yan Linkun, a member of China's top government advisory board, and also deputy chairman of a mining company."

Still appalling..
Fly Delta Jets

rwy04lga

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 pm

This news item says he was suspended from his job.

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-v...-of-yan-linkun-airport-rage-2013-3
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 12):
This news item says he was suspended from his job.

From the article you linked :

"The context seems to confirm earlier reports that the irate passenger had already missed one flight, and missed a second after he and his wife went to get breakfast."

If true, this guy is breaking a record.... How on Earth can you miss TWO flights the same day ??????

Jeeez....

G.

doug_or

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 13):
If true, this guy is breaking a record.... How on Earth can you miss TWO flights the same day ??????

Jeeez....

A record? I take it you don't spend much time on the terminal side of the airport.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Jerseyguy

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:11 pm

When your arrogant enough to think they would never leave without ME.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 14):
A record? I take it you don't spend much time on the terminal side of the airport.

Oh don't get me wrong, it can be "normal" to miss several flights the same day if you are making connections, or if you have a *multiple flights, tight schedule*....but missing a flight, re-book, then go breakfast, and miss the flight again ?? Too much for me !!  

BasilFawlty

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 3):
It's the old "but the plane is right over there"

"Yes, but the doors are closed and you've missed your flight sir."            

Quoting JU068 (Reply 7):

So? Even he has to behave properly and follow the laws.

You would be surprised how often such things happen every day. Maybe you should start working at an airport. 
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

HBGDS

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 am

One other reason these security guys are not intervening goes beyond the "status" of this fellow: they have not been ordered to do so. Chinese society is still very Confucian (i.e. hierarchical), so you obey your superiors, and you await for someone in authority to make a decision. I remember trying to make flight in China twenty years ago. Unless the supervisor ok'd the changing of a ticket (even though it was allowed), nothing would happen...

But keep in mind one more thing: they do not have to intervene because he has already lost face, and is losing face further by breaking everything. That lost honor bit is a big deal over there; he dug his own social grave.

cjg225

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:27 am

I like him trying to break the glass. What the heck was he going to do, run after the plane?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

dfwramper

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:45 am

And it wasn't just this guy.... towards the end of the video his (presumably) wife picks up something on the counter and smashes it to the ground. Apparently, it runs in the family?

vanguard737

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 am

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 17):
So? Even he has to behave properly and follow the laws.

You're speaking with the rationale of a Western citizen who enjoys the fruits of democracy. This video is in China. Sure, they have made immense progress in commercial and living standards, but we are still talking about a Communist country in which a politician is for all intents and purposes "above the law" and the police are not in any mood to challenge him, as evidenced in this video.
320 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 744 752 753 763 772 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 ERJ CRJ CR7

czbbflier

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:20 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 19):
I like him trying to break the glass. What the heck was he going to do, run after the plane?

Actually, I was impressed with the glass. Not everything in China is shoddily made, apparently.

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 9):
The guy probably never said who he is, or what position he has in the Chinese government...

Actually, my take is quite different. I can only imagine the sense of entitlement that this man and his family feel they have- he is, after all, a member of the government party and a fairly high-ranking official.

He drew quite the crowd so I imagine he was screaming at the top of his lungs, "Do you not KNOW who I am? Do you realize that I am Yan Linkun, a member of China's top government advisory board, and also deputy chairman of a mining company!!!" His temper tantrum is exactly what I'd expect someone with such a sense of entitlement would do.

I wonder if the gate agents took the rest of the day off. That was about as outside-the-norm a customer service incident as you can get!

Kinda reminds me of the urban legend (I really don't know if it is true) from about 1985:

A passenger missed a CP flight from Edmonton Municipal to Calgary and he got himself so worked up he challenged the gate agent to a fight. As he had been trash-talking the agent enough, the agent finally decided it was time to deal with this jerk.

So he went to his supervisor, pulled all his badges and ID off and quit on the spot.

They then went outside into the parking lot where the agent creamed the passenger, basically mashing him into the pavement and leaving him in a bleeding, beat-up heap.

The agent then went back into the terminal, walked right up to the same supervisor and said that he was looking for a job, "Was CP hiring?" The supervisor said that someone had just quit a few minutes before and that they were, in fact, looking for a replacement. The supervisor then handed the pins and ID back. The agent put them on went right back to work.

Would have been nice if that happened here.

JU068

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 am

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 17):
So? Even he has to behave properly and follow the laws

Not if you are living in a communist country.  

traindoc

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:36 am

Don't forget that in communism, everyone is equal. However, some are more equal than others, as is the case here.

I am reading this post while waiting at NRT. I don't think that this individual would get away with that kind of behavior here!

ThePointblank

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:04 am

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 9):
No doubt.... here in Chile we also have our "nice" airport security, and a behavior like this would let you in jail for sure at least for 12- 24 hours, and facing criminal charges.

FYI, if you haven't gotten the YVR joke, it's in relation to what happened to Robert Dziekański, a Polish immigrant a few years. He got tasered and was accidentally killed while being tasered (the official report into the incident says he was tasered 5 times).

keegd76

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:34 am

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 22):
Kinda reminds me of the urban legend (I really don't know if it is true) from about 1985:

A passenger missed a CP flight from Edmonton Municipal to Calgary and he got himself so worked up he challenged the gate agent to a fight. As he had been trash-talking the agent enough, the agent finally decided it was time to deal with this jerk.

So he went to his supervisor, pulled all his badges and ID off and quit on the spot.

They then went outside into the parking lot where the agent creamed the passenger, basically mashing him into the pavement and leaving him in a bleeding, beat-up heap.

The agent then went back into the terminal, walked right up to the same supervisor and said that he was looking for a job, "Was CP hiring?" The supervisor said that someone had just quit a few minutes before and that they were, in fact, looking for a replacement. The supervisor then handed the pins and ID back. The agent put them on went right back to work.

That's brilliant   

Shame it doesn't happen more often.
Nothing comes down faster than a VTOL aircraft upside down.

pvjin

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:35 am

Quoting vanguard737 (Reply 21):
This video is in China. Sure, they have made immense progress in commercial and living standards, but we are still talking about a Communist country in which a politician is for all intents and purposes "above the law" and the police are not in any mood to challenge him, as evidenced in this video.
Quoting traindoc (Reply 24):

Don't forget that in communism, everyone is equal. However, some are more equal than others, as is the case here.

Isn't that pretty much in all dictatorships and oligarchies that cover big part of the world, not just communist ones?

I don't really even see what's the point of talking about China as a communist country anyway when its whole economy system is pretty much capitalist and it follows almost no principles of communism. I think it's more about democracy vs dictatorship or Chinese style oligarchy.

Besides according the news he was suspended from his job, just like what would happen with similar cases in any western democracy. Loads of western politicians have done all kind of ignorant stuff too, thinking like they are over the law and regular people (like they too often truly are in many corrupted "democracies".
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." - Voltaire

tjcab

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:37 am

what an excellent role model to his kids....pathetic. What a great exercise in stress management.

stevAAN

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 am

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 3):

Made my day! LOL

j8

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Here's a link with audio of the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETYRQ4ozQpI

vanguard737

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 27):
I don't really even see what's the point of talking about China as a communist country anyway

I agree with your argument, but I believe that was all implied with my statement. I referred to them as Communist as opposed to dictatorship/oligarchy because I do not know of any "communist democracies" in our world today.
320 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 744 752 753 763 772 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 ERJ CRJ CR7

aeroblogger

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Quoting vanguard737 (Reply 31):
I referred to them as Communist as opposed to dictatorship/oligarchy because I do not know of any "communist democracies" in our world today.

Nepal is a communist democracy.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

goldenargosy

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:30 pm

God I love this video! So great that there are still crazies out there to provide viewing pleasure like this. Without him, how could we possibly avoid work and spend the time watching entertainment like this.