Beckaru
Topic Author

What Was Eastern's Motto?

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:56 pm

What was Eastern's motto?
It's on the tip of my tongue and I can't remember it for the life of me. We were going over some and I'd forgotten that Western's was "The Only Way To Fly."
And, now I'm trying to recall Eastern's.

wilcharl

RE: What Was Eastern's Motto?

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:08 pm

@ eastern we earn our wings every day
and torwards the end "Eastern, We Got your Ticket"

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:24 pm

I always thought it was, "let's dick over the passengers AND the employees."

LoneStarMike

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:30 pm

Didn't they also use "Eastern - The Wings of Man"?

LoneStarike

dvk

Tue Oct 24, 2000 10:52 pm

In the late 70's, Eastern had a number of very effective TV commercials using the slogan, "We're Eastern, America's favorite way to fly."
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

exnonrev

Tue Oct 24, 2000 11:48 pm

If you want to go way back to the Captain Eddie days, they were "The Great Silver Fleet". "The Wings of Man" slogan came out shortly after EAL's 1965 makeover (the birth of the "hockey stick") as the last vestiges of the Captain Eddie era were being thrown out.

In the late '70s, EAL introduced a new slogan "We Have To Earn Our Wings Every Day". Along with it came a series of commercials featuring Frank Borman. That one lasted until the mid '80s (immediately pre-Lorenzo) when it was replaced with "America's Favorite Way To Fly".

EAL went through a series of slogans during the Lorenzo era. Right now I'm looking at EAL's last timetable (dated 1/1/91) and I can't find any kind of slogan in it.

Sadly, toward the end of EAL, another slogan began to circulate among the employees. BOHICA.

LoneStarMike

Wed Oct 25, 2000 4:05 am

I was looking around on this guy's site who has a lot of Eastern Airlines memorabilia. Here's a nice photo of a "We Have to Earn our Wings Everyday" Button.

http://www.petester.com/eal/earnwings.html

Here are two others that I don't remember, though. A sticker with a heart in which is written "We care for you" with the Eastern Logo at the bottom -

http://www.petester.com/eal/wecare.html

and a button which says "Our Goal: On Time All The Time - Eastern Airlines"

http://www.petester.com/eal/ontime.html

LoneStarMike

Cody

Wed Oct 25, 2000 5:37 am

At the very end they used, "We're Building a Great new Airline."

Beckaru
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2000 3:30 am

Thanks, everyone. I think what I was trying to remember was "We earn our wings everyday," as a child of the 70's, that's the one I'd heard most, probably.
I just bought a book called "Grounded:How Frank Lorenzo Took Over & Destroyed Eastern Airlines." Simply amazing. I thought morale at my place of employment was low with our new administration. At least I work for an elected official and there's a limit on what he can destroy.
Uffda!