seansasLCY
Topic Author

EK Launch Milan - New York

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 am

Emirates will begin flying Milan - New York from October 1st.

http://gulfbusiness.com/2013/04/emir...-york-from-october-1/#.UWKf9KJOTTo

This has been rumored before but now its official.

G500

RE: EK Launch Milan - New York

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 am

so Alitalia is fighting for survival and the Italian government grants Emirates this route?

European governents seem to like Emirates more than their own airlines. I just don't undertand

as for Emirates, I don't blame them for cashing in on European generosity.. For them Europe is the gift that keeps on giving

jfk777

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 1):
so Alitalia is fighting for survival and the Italian government grants Emirates this route?

European governents seem to like Emirates more than their own airlines. I just don't undertand

as for Emirates, I don't blame them for cashing in on European generosity.. For them Europe is the gift that keeps on giving

Australia is the island that really keeps on giving to Emirates. European airlines have been invaded by the Gulf airlines but Qantas has received a rectal exam from the Gulf airlines.

alitaliadc10

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 am

Orbis non sufficit

factsonly

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:06 pm

- dep. MXP 16:00 - arr. JFK 19:00 EK205 0 stop 9h 00min daily
- dep. JFK 22:20 - arr. MXP 12:15 EK206 0 stop 7h 55min daily

ZEDZAG

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 1):
European governents seem to like Emirates more than their own airlines

I dont know why but Im thinking that politicians like EK s cash flow better than their home carriers

factsonly

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm

And.... JFK-DXB from 1 October 2013:

- dep. JFK 11:20 - arr. DXB 07:50 EK204 0 stop 12h 30min A380
- dep. JFK 22:20 - arr. DXB 22:05 EK206 1 stop 15h 45min B773
- dep. JFK 23:00 - arr. DXB 19:45 EK202 0 stop 12h 45min A380

Pe@rson

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm

I remember when they operated DXB-HAM-JFK. Seems a long time ago now.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 pm

This will be terrible--I'm not even sure it'll be better than the silly JFKHAM
E pur si muove -Galileo

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

I thought I was going to have to go tp IAD to see EK's best looking aircraft again. Now I guess I won't have to.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

theaviator380

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 pm

What I am surprised at > EK spreading their wings every direction on the Planet Earth but why they not spreading the network in US with that speed? There are loads of cities which I would think EK can start for example, Atlanta, IAD, ORD, Florida, etc.

About this new route will be interesting to see how much load factor they get. I can imagine them deploying 380 sooner or later on this DXB-MXP-JFK  

sw733

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):
This will be terrible--I'm not even sure it'll be better than the silly JFKHAM

Hey I loved JFK-HAM the one time I took it  

Yeah, I am not quite sure about this one. It will be interesting to see how the economics work. The thing is, I could see it doing pretty good in the summer...but they're not starting it until October. Seems like an interesting time of the year to start a route like that. But hey, what do I know.

Azure

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Thread starter):
This has been rumored before but now its official.

The flights are not logged in EK's system yet.

Quoting g500 (Reply 1):

Quoting ZEDZAG (Reply 5):
I dont know why but Im thinking that politicians like EK s cash flow better than their home carriers

AZ is not owned by the Italian State which has absolutely no stake in this carrier.
I doubt however that the Italian authorities have just granted EK rights on this route. EK have had them for quite some time I believe (just as many European airlines have rights between the UAE and SE Asia even if they are not using them currently).

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 2):
European airlines have been invaded by the Gulf airlines but Qantas has received a rectal exam from the Gulf airlines.

I would not use medical wording here (lol) but I agree with your point : QF's operations have been more affected by the ME3 than the European majors.
IAG will take advantage of QR in OW
AFKL is now partnered with EY
Only the LH group seems a bit isolated.

This route if confirmed can be successful for EK : there is a fair amount of O&D between NYC and Northern Italy + the plane will already be partly feeded by pax from/to Dubai.

Another thought : it is time for the European Big Three to reconsider their hub strategy and develop long-haul routes from secondary cities, sometimes with the "help" of their ME partners...

FSDan

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 pm

That will make four airlines with a daily flight on JFK-MXP: DL, AA, AZ, and EK (+ UA on EWR-MXP). Of those, I would guess that AZ will be out first since they don't have a hub in MXP anyway, and the JFK-MXP service is one of only two longhaul routes they have from MXP (the other being MXP-NRT).

If not AZ, then my bet is AA. I'm sure SkyTeam will maintain a presence on this route.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

airbazar

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm

This is actually good news for European carriers. It shows a kink in EK's armour and that EK's strategy of linking every 2 major cities in the world via their DXB hub has it's weakenesses. At the end of the day, Asia-Pacific and N.America are still, and will continue to be the 2 most lucrative airline markets in the World and DXB is not really well positioned to serve either of those.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...12-but-whats-ahead-in-2013-380430/
"Asia-Pacific remains the most profitable region for airlines and is forecast by IATA for a small increase in profit in 2013 to $3.2 billion. But the honour of being the most profitable region is likely to be passed to the North American carriers in 2013 as stagnating cargo weighs heavy on many of its airlines."

If EK want to continue to grow they need Europe, and more so the Europe-US market segment. Now it's up to the Euro carriers to figure out how they want to protect their home turf.

okapi

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm

It could be good news for "SEA" the Milanese Airport Managing company. However, there have been many rumours in the past regarding SQ interested to fly a sililar route. Obviously, that plan failed miserably.
Let's hope EK plans are for long term. I still wonder how good the economics for such a route could be given the fact EK is in no major alliance and most premium pax are already very loyal to Skyteam, Miles and More and even the BA FFP.
Another fact to take into account the preference by Italians to transit through a European hub to avoid the hefty yearly passport tax and we'll see how EK fills up the 777-300ER destined for the route.

SCQ83

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Quoting okapi (Reply 15):
Let's hope EK plans are for long term. I still wonder how good the economics for such a route could be given the fact EK is in no major alliance and most premium pax are already very loyal to Skyteam, Miles and More and even the BA FFP.

If premium PAXs were loyal to alliances, EK would have never risen the way they have. EK hard product is going to be superior to any of its competitors and J/F in EK is not usually more expensive than Western competitors.

EK likely targets HNWI who pay J/F out of their own pocket or those in more non-traditional industries (major corporations like Renault or Siemens have their own agreements with AF or LH... and so on). And both New York and MXP (Northern Italy/Ticino) have their own good share of wealthy individuals and creative industries (fashion, design...) that are probably more keen on flying on EK. Also, Italians tend to be particularly brand-orientated, and I am sure that in any class, they would rather fly Emirates, that is usually seen (whether it is right or not) as a more "exclusive" product than Western carriers (even if it is a 10-abreast B777 in Economy). You would rather brag with your friends that you flew to NYC on holiday with Emirates and not with Alitalia or Delta  .

Personally, I think that this route could work better than HAM-JFK. My only concern would be competition (4 carriers already... but it must be something of interesting there if SQ wanted to fly it too) and yields (MXP-US tends to be quite cheap).

max999

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 1):

Looking at this from another perspective, the Italian government is looking out for consumers...more competition means better prices. And more flights at lower prices can mean additional economic activity as people travel to and from Milan.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

okapi

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 17):

I agree with you about Italians and brands in general, my wife is Italian and a real brand lover as one could expect. When it comes to aviation though, most people don't care if they fly on an Airbus or a Boeing, let alone the concept of airline loyalty. EasyJet and Ryanair have grown very well in Italy.

There are two kinds of travellers (if not many more of course), those who pay for their own ticket and those who don't. Nowadays, many business people will fly on company tickets in economy, no matter the distance. Budgets are tight hence yields for airlines. As you mentionned it, the MXP to US routes are not generating super profits. I'm pretty sure the finance department at EK has done its homework very well and their recent large lounge opened there is a proof of their vision, however, I doubt their customer base will be that loyal, unless they speed up their intended agreement with easyJet to feed in more passengers on its routes.
I'm just wondering how a 773 can generate more profit on a route from MXP to JFK instead of flights to the DXB hub. Maybe the Emirates route has reached its capacity. Or maybe, the recent moves by Etihad and Skyteam has some kind of relation to these new flights.

incitatus

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 pm

EK hard product is going to be superior to any of its competitors

For 90-pound women the EK hard product is superior in 10-abreast coach. Indeed.
Stop pop up ads

panamair

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Quoting FSDan (Reply 13):
Of those, I would guess that AZ will be out first since they don't have a hub in MXP anyway

If not AZ, then my bet is AA.

Highly doubtful....my bet is that EK will get out first  . All the others have point-of-sale advantage on one or both sides of the Atlantic. EK has none...as has been mentioned, no matter how good a product a carrier may have, such fifth freedom flights are usually problematic for an 'outsider' (people will not think of EK as a 'go-to' airline for travel between NYC and Milan for example). On top of that, EK's schedules aren't particularly convenient (especially the eastbound with such a late arrival into MXP) for most business travelers (on either side of the Pond)...

EK hard product is going to be superior to any of its competitors

Hmm...2-3-2 in J on EK, vs direct-aisle-access on either DL or AZ?. 3-4-3 in Y on EK vs 2-3-2 on DL/AA/UA or 2-4-2 on AZ? Don't think so...

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm

If premium PAXs were loyal to alliances, EK would have never risen the way they have. EK hard product is going to be superior to any of its competitors and J/F in EK is not usually more expensive than Western competitors.

This is more of a myth than anything. EK has publicly said it has trouble filling F and its J product is a mixed bag at best. The reason EK is successful has little to do with its premium product.

Quoting panamair (Reply 22):
.my bet is that EK will get out first

They will have to fill the flight on the local market alone, plus low yield DXB traffic that EK doesn't want to take on the nonstop, and even lower double connecting traffic. There's no reason for EK to be in this market.
E pur si muove -Galileo

airbazar

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Quoting Azure (Reply 12):
Another thought : it is time for the European Big Three to reconsider their hub strategy and develop long-haul routes from secondary cities, sometimes with the "help" of their ME partners...

They've been doing that for a long time in the form of JV's. BOS-LHR for AF/DL is one such example. Althought LHR is not a secondary city, it is also not a SkyTeam hub. UA's EWR-LIS or EWR-TXL is as much a LH flight as is a UA flight.

hohd

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 pm

I think this is the first time EK will fail. This flight is timed only for JFK-MXP passengers, only very few will go on this to DXB, so it needs nearly good yield and load to MXP. They have recenty devalued their frequent flyer awards, by introducing fuel surcharges on the award flights and the Skywards program is not that good anyway. It is easier to woo passengers to Middle East, India, SE Asia, Africa, but to Europe it will be more difficult. Lately EK is not the lowest cost option either (except for last minute tickets, which are not many).

I think they would be better served on a route like BOS-MAN-DXB or BOS-MXP-DXB (a new American city to DXB, plus BOS-MAN had some airline flying it, but now discontinued, so there will a fair amount of traffic).

And what happend to QRs Athens-JFK service, is it still on ?

panamair

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 25):
I think this is the first time EK will fail.

Well, they already tried JFK-HAM-DXB some years back and that failed.

theaviator380

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 25):

Do you really think MAN-BOS route is that big to utilize 77W ? unless EK decide to use A330-200 ! Apart from that MAN-DXB is already on 3 flight daily 77W + 380 + 77W. I think it won't work. They can choose Brussels as a hop as 9W are doing well on BOM-Brussels-Newyork route.

airproxx

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Seems like erveryone forgot this one, but to me this announcement sounds like a smash on AF/KL CEO's face, after this:

"AF-KLM CEO Calls On Restrictions For Gulf Carriers"

Discussed on this thread some days ago.... :

AF-KLM CEO Calls On Restrictions For Gulf Carriers (by g500 Mar 31 2013 in Civil Aviation)

Would be interesting to see or hear an AF/KL reaction after this, as, after all, AZ is part of their game now...
If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same

behramjee

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:05 pm

In 2012, MXP market sizes to NYC were as follows:

JFK...274,000 passengers

EWR...71,000 passengers

In comparison, HAM-NYC was 77,000 for EWR and 43,000 for JFK

So in hindsight, MXP-NYC is literally speaking 3 times bigger market sized segment than HAM-NYC + on MXP-JFK sector, only 76% (208,000) of the traffic is carried by the nonstop carriers hence what EK will do is badly hurt the carriers that have large one stop market share which include BA, IB, LX and LH as well as poach market share more away from AZ than the others as the others have large scale hubs at JFK to provide decent feeder service along with O&D.

Also note that via JFK, EK code shares with B6 so it will be targetting secondary U.S. cities too for this new flight.

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Quoting airproxx (Reply 28):
Would be interesting to see or hear an AF/KL reaction after this, as, after all, AZ is part of their game now...

EK is going to be the biggest loser in this, but it could be a shot across the bow for AF/KL
E pur si muove -Galileo

airproxx

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 28):

EK is going to be the biggest loser in this,

Well, I hope you're right, but I fear that EK will take the biggest market share out of MXP to NYC... Unless their product is far below competition and prices are drastically higher, I don't see why it couldn't work...
If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same

panamair

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 27):
poach market share more away from AZ than the others as the others have large scale hubs at JFK to provide decent feeder service along with O&D.

AZ and DL essentially operate as one between MXP and JFK since they have a metal-neutral JV; AZ isn't going to suffer more since it does have the same benefit as DL on the JFK side....

SCQ83

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 20):
Highly doubtful....my bet is that EK will get out first . All the others have point-of-sale advantage on one or both sides of the Atlantic. EK has none...as has been mentioned, no matter how good a product a carrier may have, such fifth freedom flights are usually problematic for an 'outsider' (people will not think of EK as a 'go-to' airline for travel between NYC and Milan for example).

Don't underestimate EK's brand name / aura, at least in Europe (where is undoubtedly more powerful than in the US). Certainly for many Europeans, the perception is that Emirates (or SQ or QR) is a superior product (whether they are right or not) than your average Euro/US carrier. And in the case of the MXP-JFK you have Alitalia (an airline abhorred by many Italians) and DL/UA which are not particularly well-known for the average Italian, and probably are seen just like the less bad of the options. I agree that selling it on the US side might be more complicated (two US airlines... the average NYorker will not care whether there is a new route in their airports)

So you have a brand that needs to further presentation in Italy (Emirates) and the same for the destination (New York). Making potential customers think as EK an airline to fly them to the US instead of Asia might take some more time, but Emirates is quite good at flooding cities with advertisements. And even the media!... I remember when SQ started BCN-GRU... how the local media was every other day with how Singapore Airlines bet on BCN, and how now you could fly a "5-star carrier" to Sao Paulo instead of flying IB... at the end Iberia pulled out BCN-GRU and SQ is still flying even after the demise of JK.

[Edited 2013-04-08 10:55:16]

reifel

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:29 pm

That will make four airlines with a daily flight on JFK-MXP: DL, AA, AZ, and EK (+ UA on EWR-MXP). Of those, I would guess that AZ will be out first since they don't have a hub in MXP anyway, and the JFK-MXP service is one of only two longhaul routes they have from MXP (the other being MXP-NRT).

Not that sure. AZ can feed in JFK with DL and although they do not have a hub in MXP, they do feed there. I flew several times via MXP, no matter if it's from NRT, PRG, BRU, AUH... It all fits.
AA can feed in JFK, but has difficult feed in MXP (basically only AB), DL is similar to AZ (they codeshare anyway).
EK would really be only O/D demand, and the rates will be probably very low. Well they have this strange Easyjet corporation, but this is probably useless.

LOWS

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Only the LH group seems a bit isolated.

LH has TK in Star.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 16):
You would rather brag with your friends that you flew to NYC on holiday with Emirates and not with Alitalia or Delta

Who really says "Oh I flew Emirates/Delta/Ryanair and did XYZ in New York" versus "Oh, I stayed at the Swissôtel in New York and did ABC in New York" ?

Hint: people on this website would say the first one, normal people say the second one.

N62NA

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Why is EK ignoring EWR and the entire half of the NYC area west of the Hudson River?

There's lots of strong competition at JFK, there's just 1 airline to compete with at EWR.

behramjee

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 34):
Why is EK ignoring EWR and the entire half of the NYC area west of the Hudson River?
There's lots of strong competition at JFK, there's just 1 airline to compete with at EWR.

I actually asked this question to a former EK Country Manager based in North America in 2008 and she immediately said "according to hdq, yield and prestige at JFK is better than EWR".

Maybe 5 years down the road if EK decide on making NYC 4 daily, they might consider the new flight headed to EWR instead of JFK.

okapi

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Here's the official link to the Emirates press release: http://www.theemiratesgroup.com/engl.../news-details.aspx?article=1185653

Apparently, EK is very much interested in giving its passengers a third option between New York and Dubai but another non-stop flight might not be justified. Picking up passengers en-route in a city where there is both a demand and the conditions to operate seems to be the right move. To be honest, I still don't understand why the Italian politicians have allowed such a move. For sure, no other country in EU would have allowed that, not even the UK (through LHR).

Cargo will also play an important role in this new venture and probably help cover the losses of a still very weak market.

Quoting behramjee (Reply 27):

True, there's a big market ex-MXP towards US East Coast, however, yields are generally very poor in low season. If I remember correctly, AA used to fly its route only half the year. That said, I'm pretty sure the EU majors will know how to fight back. Many US passengers do prefer flying BA for linguistic reasons while both budget conscious and premium pax do enjoy the premium offers by LX, LH or even AF/KL (mainly for miles reason).
EK will surely generate more traffic than it will "steal" from the well established players.

As usual, time will tell.

by738

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 pm

If they're starting this, could we see others ?

WROORD

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 am

This route if confirmed can be successful for EK : there is a fair amount of O&D between NYC and Northern Italy + the plane will already be partly feeded by pax from/to Dubai.

They count on B6 giving them some feed at JFK and EZY in MXP.

Quoting g500 (Reply 1):

Shouldn't this be also up to FAA to approve as EK is not a EU carrier and open skies provisions are not applicable here.

L0VE2FLY

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:44 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 1):

They like Emirates and the European aerospace industry, I don't think EK would've ordered 160 A380s/350s without generous access to Europe. Plus when you're so wealthy most folks "like" you and want to be your "friends", this rule not only applies to individuals but countries as well.

AF185

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:45 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 16):
You would rather brag with your friends that you flew to NYC on holiday with Emirates and not with Alitalia or Delta

It is undeniable Emirates has created a real strong PR and "trendy model", also thanks to the rise of Dubai has an International city hub. This attracts passengers, even if some were before using more efficient P2P services instead of 1 connection.

But, I believe every trend becomes boring and start losing its appeal eventually (like consumer goods), and I now hear many friends actualy bragging around the fact they fly direct and have shorter flight time, even if they have to pay USD100/200 more..

EK will be very sustainable in the long term, but we can't rule out that one day it may actually sound kind of lousy to say "I'm flying through Dubai" instead of "I'm flying direct"

abrelosojos

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 am

9W should have done this when they had a chance  .

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

MAH4546

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:01 am

Quoting okapi (Reply 36):
True, there's a big market ex-MXP towards US East Coast, however, yields are generally very poor in low season.

It is the reverse. The market is quite small - and the demand is pretty much NYC and Miami (LA and SF are the next two largest, but both lag quite behind those two), but yields are the best in Italy, and arguably all of Southern Europe, unlike the rest of Italy, it can fill a J cabin in the winter.

Quoting okapi (Reply 36):
If I remember correctly, AA used to fly its route only half the year.

AA has never operated JFKMXP - one of its top performing trans-Atlantics - less than year-round.
a.

hohd

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 25):

The BOS-MAN-DXB assumes that atleast half the passengers go on to DXB from BOS so they need to fill up only 1/2 the plane for BOS-MAN. The same is not true with JFK-MXP-DXB where very few will be going to DXB, since they have a choice of two other nonstop flights plus one of them is just an hour later and arrives earlier.

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Quoting WROORD (Reply 38):

They count on B6 giving them some feed at JFK and EZY in MXP.

This would result in less than a handful of pax on the JFK end, and near zero with U2. Only 400 more seats to go 
Quoting AF185 (Reply 40):
It is undeniable Emirates has created a real strong PR and "trendy model",

Where has "PR" or "trendiness" ever translated into success for an airline, ever?

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 41):
9W should have done this when they had a chance

It's not going to work for EK and it definitely would not work for 9W.
E pur si muove -Galileo

theaviator380

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 41):

I think they wanted to start DEL-MXP or BOM-MXP few months ago, isn't it? They doing well India-US/Canada flights via Brussels so why would they want to change it to MXP? only BOM or DEL-MXP would do they using their A330's.

airbazar

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 25):

Do you really think MAN-BOS route is that big to utilize 77W ?

If EK can make DXB-LIS work with a 77W they sure as heck can make DXB-MAN-BOS work   As Tim Clark as said many times, they create their own market.

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 45):

I think they wanted to start DEL-MXP or BOM-MXP few months ago, isn't it?

DELMXP just ended in JAN13

Quoting airbazar (Reply 46):
As Tim Clark as said many times, they create their own market.

To DXB and beyond, yes. Standalone tags, no. They're human just like everyone else.
E pur si muove -Galileo

FlyPNS1

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 44):
Where has "PR" or "trendiness" ever translated into success for an airline, ever?

It did a lot for JetBlue. From the inflight TV, to the blue chips, JetBlue got a lot of marketing buzz in it's early years. Of course, they also had low costs and a bunch of NYC markets in need of competition.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 44):
This would result in less than a handful of pax on the JFK end,

Not so sure about that. B6 could conceivably feed you 40-50 passengers a day on a route like that. Certainly not enough to fill a 777, but a start.

behramjee

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:29 pm

EK has 5th freedom traffic rights on CDG-LAX which is currently dominated by AF (17 weekly B777s) and TN (Air Tahiti) daily A343.

Market size is 390,000 pax in 2012 and AF controls 50% of it where as TN has 18% market share.

If EK's A380s cannot operate nonstop with a full payload to/from LAX, I would suggest the 2nd daily service to be a daily an A380 daily from DXB via CDG. The product of EK's A380 along with its capacity will definitely make it a serious contender on this route as it will first eat into the 32% one stop market share held by other airlines (125,000 pax) plus as well TN's in particular more so than AFs.