avi8
Topic Author

Why Is UA At DFW So Small Compared To AA At IAH?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 pm

So I was looking at the number of flights that each offered and noticed that AA has a much larger presence at a UA fortress hub when compared to UA's presence at DFW. Why is that?

Here are a few details to be observed: Date: Monday April 22nd

UA: IAH-DFW --- 5x ERJ, 3X CRJ 700, 1x A319 = 9
UA: ORD-DFW ---- 4x CRJ 700, 1x A319, 1x A320 = 6
UA: EWR-DFW ---- 1x E170, 1x ERJ, 2x 738, 1x A319, 1x A320 = 6
UA: SFO-DFW ---- 3x CRJ700, 1x 738 = 4
UA: LAX-DFW ---- 3x CRJ700 = 3
UA: CLE-DFW ---- 4x ERJ = 4
UA: IAD-DFW ---- 2x CRJ700, 1x 738 = 3
UA: DEN-DFW ---- 1x E170, 2x A319, 1x 737-700 = 4

Total flights: 39
Total mainline: 12
Total regional: 27

AA: DFW-IAH ---- 6x MD80 = 6
AA:ORD-IAH ---- 4x CRJ700 = 4
AA: MIA-IAH ---- 6x 738 = 6
AA: JFK-IAH ---- 1x 738 = 1
AA: LAX-IAH ---- 3x CRJ700 = 3

Total flights: 20
Total mainline: 13
Total regional: 7

Now looking at the data it is obvious that UA has more flights out of DFW that UA has at IAH, however the ratio between mainline and regional is different. Why is it that AA can sustain 6 daily mainline flights on the DFW-IAH route when UA can only support 1? I also noticed that the reason UA has more flights out of DFW than AA has from IAH is because UA has more hubs than AA. Could that be the reason why AA has more mainline at IAH due to less amount of hubs to funnel passengers?
avi8

Medschool student

ikramerica

RE: Why Is UA At DFW So Small Compared To AA At IAH?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Your premise makes no sense.
UA is bigger at DFW than AA at IAH and they UA has 50% more frequency on IAH-DFW while AA has 20% more seats.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

lhcvg

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Quoting avi8 (Thread starter):
Now looking at the data it is obvious that UA has more flights out of DFW that UA has at IAH, however the ratio between mainline and regional is different. Why is it that AA can sustain 6 daily mainline flights on the DFW-IAH route when UA can only support 1? I also noticed that the reason UA has more flights out of DFW than AA has from IAH is because UA has more hubs than AA. Could that be the reason why AA has more mainline at IAH due to less amount of hubs to funnel passengers?

Offhand I'd say that explains at least part of it -- probably not all, but at least some. On IAH-DFW for instance, UA has decided to go for frequency rather than mainline flights (as we often see these days) so it's not unthinkable that they would put less mainline here, but OTOH they offer total fewer daily seats (not to mention fewer F seats) as well.

So I think you're seeing comparative advantage at play here, where each is leveraging what it perceives as strengths and/or routes of emphasis (some routes will always be more important to you than others).

tommy767

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:29 pm

39 UA flights into DFW? Dude, that's one of they're largest outstations!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

klwright69

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Yes, what are UA's largest nonhub stations? DFW must be upthere.

HPRamper

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 4):

I believe LAS and BOS are the two largest UA outstations. MCO is also sizable.

avi8
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm sorry I did not make myself clear. I was actually referring to the amount of mainline flights and the fact that even though UA has more destinations out of DFW, AA isn't that far behind at IAH with the majority of the flights being mainline. My theory lies in that AA has fewer hubs to funnel passengers through so that could be the reason for more mainline flying. I wanted to see your opinions.
avi8

Medschool student

Polot

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 5):
I believe LAS and BOS are the two largest UA outstations. MCO is also sizable.

FLL has to be up there too if you include the Silver Airways flights.

LOWS

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 pm

Not to mention, UA also flies into DAL.

PHXFlyer16

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:51 pm

So I was looking at the number of flights that each offered and noticed that AA has a much larger presence at a UA fortress hub when compared to UA's presence at DFW. Why is that?

I think the answers is pretty simple: UA has more hubs right now that AA. Once AA and US merge there will be flights to PHX, PHL, CLT and potentially DCA (i'm not sure about perimeter and slots though).

Thus, UA likely has a larger presence is most major cities because they have more hubs to fly to. This will change shortly.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:55 pm

What you're saying make no sense, as UA at DFW is larger than AA at IAH. But, even if your premise was correct, you would have to look at individual market size and brand loyalty in their respective markets. Plus, you have to look at which point of sale each airline is looking at. Based on the amount of RJs on the AA routes, they seem to be focusing on more O&D while UA wants more connections.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

jfklganyc

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Should the thread title be

"Why is AA at IAH so small compared to UA at DFW"

Confusing

romeobravo

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Both airlines are simply flying to their hubs, and it looks like UA has more hubs.

tommy767

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 7):

FLL has to be up there too if you include the Silver Airways flights.
FLL is big for UA but not as big as LAS, MCO, or BOS which have more mainline flights.

Also MCO isn't a base but LAS and BOS are. My recent EWR-FLL flight had BOS crew on the 757.

[Edited 2013-04-21 13:17:30]
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

usflyer msp

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 8):
Not to mention, UA also flies into DAL.

AA also flies to HOU...

capejet

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Does UA fly more people out of DFW vs AA out of IAH and how does AA do in Hobby Airport vs UA at Love Field in Dallas?

roseflyer

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Why is it that AA can sustain 6 daily mainline flights on the DFW-IAH route when UA can only support 1?

One reason. southwest has over 25 daily HOU -DAL Flights. Both AA and UA lose money flying people between Houston and Dallas so both stay relatively small.

Also don't forget UA flies to DAL.

One final reason is the fleet planning at UA prior to the merger. UA dumped its 737 classics right after bankruptcy and outsourced the flying to E170 s andCR7s. UA had a shortage of Mainline narrow bodies. Even large airports in the center of the country went to mostly regional flying. Fortunately all the 737s that CO had and the new airplanes the airline is taking are helping bring mainline back to where it belongs.

[Edited 2013-04-21 13:20:49]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BA0197

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:28 pm

First of all, your AA figures are wrong.

IAH-DFW: 8 times daily except weekends where there are 7. (S80)
IAH-MIA: 5 times daily (738)
IAH-ORD: 4 times daily except Saturdays where there are 3 (CR7) (switching to E75 on OCT 1)
IAH-LAX: 3 times daily (CR7)
IAH-JFK: 1 times daily (738)

Chicago and Los Angeles are with American Eagle. All other flights are mainline.

American Eagle also flies 8 times daily to HOU from DFW

This argument really has no standing, but I have found one thing quite interesting. On Dallas-UA hub routes, AA is larger than UA. eg: George Bush Intercontinental, Chicago, EWR, Los Angeles, DEN, all have a larger AA presence even though UA has hubs at the destination. I think this is due to UA reassures being too broad (ie too many hubs).

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 13):
My recent EWR-FLL flight had BOS crew on the 757.

UA has a crew/pilot base in BOS?
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 16):
Fortunately all the 737s that CO had and the new airplanes the airline is taking are helping bring mainline back to where it belongs.

I would love to see more mainline on DFW-IAH. It would be a lot easier for me to go home from college on the weekends than trying to squeeze in (literally and figuratively because I'm 6'2" and I nonrev!) on an RJ!   
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

tommy767

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 18):

Sure do. There is a fair amount of mainline flights there. One of the few smaller UA bases that didn't get shut down during BK, along with SEA and LAS.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 20):
Sure do. There is a fair amount of mainline flights there. One of the few smaller UA bases that didn't get shut down during BK, along with SEA and LAS.

Is it for pilots, FA's, or both?

aaexecplat

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:52 pm

The reason AA is flying more mainline is because their scope clause has been far more restricted than UA's. I have not done the math, but of you adjust the number of flights to a seat count, I suspect the two will be very close.

tommy767

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 21):

IIRC, both. I could be wrong though. Definitely an F/A base.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

us330

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 16):
oth AA and UA lose money flying people between Houston and Dallas so both stay relatively small.

I'd be curious to see whether the percentage of O&D passengers flying on UA/AA between IAH and DFW is noticeably less than the percentage of O&D pax on the other routes of the respective non-hub. I would imagine that the main purpose for those flights are to attract connecting passengers.

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 24):
I'd be curious to see whether the percentage of O&D passengers flying on UA/AA between IAH and DFW is noticeably less than the percentage of O&D pax on the other routes of the respective non-hub. I would imagine that the main purpose for those flights are to attract connecting passengers.

I would'nt be surprised to see a larger number in O/D pax as compared to other city pairs. Houston and Dallas have a huge economic cooperation, so, for example, an oil exec. from Dallas may fly to Houston to see whats going on in the HQ or check out a rig of the coast of Galveston, or some other reason.

Also, VFR is huge between the areas. I know TONS of people in Houston that have family in the Dallas area and vice-versa.

Plus there is the occasional college kid like me that flies home to Houston every so often from DFW

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 pm

I think we may have forgotten one major factor here; the Houston metro area is simply larger and more important economically than the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BC77008

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 26):
I think we may have forgotten one major factor here; the Houston metro area is simply larger and more important economically than the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Me thinks you've just awoken a sleeping giant!!! LOL OK DFW area slightly larger than Houston (we're talking metro areas here, not city proper size) Which one is more economically important, I'd have no idea. I'd imagine that the difference would be miniscule at best. Either way, DFW and Houston are like brothers (think Bo and Luke Duke) that Mama Texas can be equally proud of.
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

roseflyer

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Wow I assume there is some sarcasm in there. A.net has a fascination with Houston, but DFW serves 30-40% more passengers per year than IAH and despite Houston being a larger city, the Dallas metro area has about a half million more people than Houston.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 25):
I would'nt be surprised to see a larger number in O/D pax as compared to other city pairs. Houston and Dallas have a huge economic cooperation, so, for example, an oil exec. from Dallas may fly to Houston to see whats going on in the HQ or check out a rig of the coast of Galveston, or some other reason.

No doubt that there is a lot of O/D between the markets, but southwest owns 75% of the market and has figured out how to make a profit out of $79 fares.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 28):
but DFW serves 30-40% more passengers per year

DFW also is more conveniently located in the middle of the country for connections than IAH, and PAX know that.

alggag

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 pm

No doubt that there is a lot of O/D between the markets, but southwest owns 75% of the market and has figured out how to make a profit out of $79 fares.

The passengers that make the route profitable and motivate WN to serve it with 25x are not buying $79 WGA fares.

roseflyer

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 29):
but DFW serves 30-40% more passengers per year

DFW also is more conveniently located in the middle of the country for connections than IAH, and PAX know that.

Although a little old, the last numbers I have seen have both DFW and IAH at around 60% connecting passengers each. DFW was 61% and IAH 59%. You are right that DFW serves more connecting passengers, but O/D numbers are also higher at DFW.

usflyer msp

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 31):
O/D numbers are also higher at DFW.

DFW doesn't have half the local domestic O/D going to another airport like IAH does with HOU. DAL gets some but thanks to the Wright Amendment the bleed is greatly limited in scope...

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:00 am

Wow I assume there is some sarcasm in there

Well, you know what they say about assuming...because there was no sarcasm intended. Check out the number of Fortune 500 companies based in or around the Houston metro area vs. those in the Dallas area and get back to me.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Caspian27

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:14 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 20):

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 18):

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 23):

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 21):

IIRC, both. I could be wrong though. Definitely an F/A base.

Of these cities, only SEA is a pilot domicile.
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

SonomaFlyer

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 am

WoW, the idea of flying a CR7 between IAH-LAX or DFW-SFO is painful. Happy I flew a 763 today between DFW and SFO on AA; so much more comfortable even if the plane itself is old and lacks the modern amenities.

TWA772LR

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:40 am

Quoting sonomaflyer (Reply 35):

I did it DFW-LAX on a CR7 in Y+ and it wasn't terrible, even better than flying IAH-SNA on a 737, and I'm 6'2".

united319

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 am

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 4):

DFW is up there. In fact a few years ago UA was sending a lot of their new hires in other OZ (line) stations to DFW for training for the fact that it was a large OZ Station and had all narrow body aircraft types.

Here are some of the larger out stations # of departures are based on tomorrow's (04/22) schedule.

DFW: 39
AUS: 32 (have intl departures to Mexico on select days)
BOS: 47 (excluding Cape Air flights)
LGA: 42
DCA: 32
MCO: 41
LAS: 52 (including PSP & FAT service by Skywest)
SAN: 40 (including LAX service by Skywest)
MSY: 26
TPA: 25
SEA: 37 (including PDX service by Skywest)
PDX: 41 (including SEA, YVR, LMT, RDM, and EUG service by Skywest)
PHX: 26
MSP: 29
It's Time To Fly

LAXdude1023

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:54 am

It may be slightly, but the difference in importance is going to be small at best. If you want to look at fortune 500 companies alone as an indicator of importance, I hope nobody every hires you as a consultant. Lets look at a more all around perspective huh?:

Top metro areas by fortune 500 compaines

New York City MSA - 66
Bay Area - 30
Chicago MSA - 29
Houston MSA - 25
Los Angeles MSA - 20
Washington D.C. MSA - 20
Dallas - Fort Worth MSA - 18
Minneapolis - St. Paul MSA - 18
Atlanta MSA - 13
Detroit MSA - 13
Philadelphia MSA - 12
Boston MSA - 10
Charlotte MSA - 9

So there are 7 more fortune 500's in the Houston area. If you would like to cling to the notion that Fortune 500 are the tell all, I cant wait to hear your explanation on how much more important Minneapolis is than Atlanta.

Now lets look at economy size (gross domestic product):

New York: 1.460 trillion
Los Angeles: 881.2 billion
Washington DC: 575 billion
Bay Area: 544.9 billion
Chicago: 539 billion
Boston: 430.2 billion
Houston: 384.6 billion
Dallas: 377.5 billion
Philadelphia: 366.7 billion
Atlanta: 278.8 billion
Miami: 257.5 billion
Seattle: 254.3 billion
Detroit: 231.5 billion
Minneapolis: 207 billion

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/6615/urban515.jpg

Now lets look at the areas global city index. This was done by the Economist Intelligence Unit based on the cities ties with foreign countries and the ability to attract investors from foreign countries:

New York City 71.4
D.C. 66.1
Chicago 65.9
Boston 64.5
San Francisco 63.3
Los Angeles 61.5
Houston 59.9
Dallas 59.8
Seattle: 59.3
Philadelphia: 58.5
Atlanta: 58.2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...City_Competitiveness_Index.5B32.5D

All in all, is Houston more important than DFW? Probably yes, but slightly. However, the point youre trying to make is a nonstarter. Trying to say that somehow has to do with the levels of service offered by UA at DFW or AA at IAH, it ridiculous.

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 27):
Me thinks you've just awoken a sleeping giant!!! LOL OK DFW area slightly larger than Houston (we're talking metro areas here, not city proper size) Which one is more economically important, I'd have no idea. I'd imagine that the difference would be miniscule at best. Either way, DFW and Houston are like brothers (think Bo and Luke Duke) that Mama Texas can be equally proud of.

And there you have it.

[Edited 2013-04-21 19:55:09]
It is what it is...

aaexecplat

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:50 am

Seems like most here are stuck on th topic of frequencies. Allow me to calculate the seats for both carriers...

UA: IAH-DFW --- 5x ERJ, 3X CRJ 700, 1x A319 = 9 (3,976 seats)
UA: ORD-DFW ---- 4x CRJ 700, 1x A319, 1x A320 = 6 (3,654 seats)
UA: EWR-DFW ---- 1x E170, 1x ERJ, 2x 738, 1x A319, 1x A320 = 6 (4,774 seats)
UA: SFO-DFW ---- 3x CRJ700, 1x 738 = 4 (2,464 seats)
UA: LAX-DFW ---- 3x CRJ700 = 3 (1,386 seats)
UA: CLE-DFW ---- 4x ERJ = 4 (1,400 seats)
UA: IAD-DFW ---- 2x CRJ700, 1x 738 = 3 (2,002 seats)
UA: DEN-DFW ---- 1x E170, 2x A319, 1x 737-700 = 4 (2,156 seats)

Assuming the seatcounts published by seatguru, this equals 21,812 seats

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 17):

IAH-DFW: 8 times daily except weekends where there are 7. (S80) (7,560 seats)
IAH-MIA: 5 times daily (738) (5,250 seats)
IAH-ORD: 4 times daily except Saturdays where there are 3 (CR7) (1,701 seats)
IAH-LAX: 3 times daily (CR7) (1,323 seats)
IAH-JFK: 1 times daily (738) (1050 seats)

Assuming the seatcounts published by seatguru, this equals 16,884 seats per week.

So while UA has 86% more departures, they only have 29% more overall capacity. That is still big, but not as big as one might think based on the frequency picture.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:00 am

Quoting AAexecplat (Reply 39):
Seems like most here are stuck on th topic of frequencies. Allow me to calculate the seats for both carriers...

UA: IAH-DFW --- 5x ERJ, 3X CRJ 700, 1x A319 = 9 (3,976 seats)
UA: ORD-DFW ---- 4x CRJ 700, 1x A319, 1x A320 = 6 (3,654 seats)
UA: EWR-DFW ---- 1x E170, 1x ERJ, 2x 738, 1x A319, 1x A320 = 6 (4,774 seats)
UA: SFO-DFW ---- 3x CRJ700, 1x 738 = 4 (2,464 seats)
UA: LAX-DFW ---- 3x CRJ700 = 3 (1,386 seats)
UA: CLE-DFW ---- 4x ERJ = 4 (1,400 seats)
UA: IAD-DFW ---- 2x CRJ700, 1x 738 = 3 (2,002 seats)
UA: DEN-DFW ---- 1x E170, 2x A319, 1x 737-700 = 4 (2,156 seats)

Assuming the seatcounts published by seatguru, this equals 21,812 seats

IAH-DFW: 8 times daily except weekends where there are 7. (S80) (7,560 seats)
IAH-MIA: 5 times daily (738) (5,250 seats)
IAH-ORD: 4 times daily except Saturdays where there are 3 (CR7) (1,701 seats)
IAH-LAX: 3 times daily (CR7) (1,323 seats)
IAH-JFK: 1 times daily (738) (1050 seats)

Assuming the seatcounts published by seatguru, this equals 16,884 seats per week.

So while UA has 86% more departures, they only have 29% more overall capacity. That is still big, but not as big as one might think based on the frequency picture.

Thanks for showing some real "numbers"!

While much smaller, what are the AA numbers for HOU-DFW and the UA ones IAH-DAL?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:15 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 40):
While much smaller, what are the AA numbers for HOU-DFW and the UA ones IAH-DAL?Bye Bye Windjet

AA at HOU:

9 50-seaters to DFW= 450 seats/day

UA at DAL:

7 50-seaters to IAH= 350 seats/day
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

777222LR

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 am

Ummm, UA flies to EVERY hub that AA does from IAH. The way you word it, you make it sound as if AA is flying to all of these places from IAH, thus has a larger presence, but in actuality, AA is only flying to IAH from DFW and their other hubs. Now, look at any of those AA hubs listed, and I guarantee you UA flies to them ALL from ALL of their hubs. So the argument makes no sense. UA serves DFW more than AA serves IAH.

4engines4lnghll

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:50 am

IAH-DFW: 8 times daily except weekends where there are 7. (S80)

AA only operates around 4 or 5 flights a day to IAH from DFW. On weekends its no different.
4engines4lnghll

FlyingSicilian

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:58 am

Quoting 4engines4lnghll (Reply 43):
AA only operates around 4 or 5 flights a day to IAH from DFW. On weekends its no different.

No, aside from the fact BA0197 is an AA agent at IAH, go to aa.com and type in DFW to IAH for tomorrow.

You get 8 daily M80 departures
7am
9:40am
11:25am
12:30pm
2:45pm
4:25pm
6:15pm
8:50pm
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

4engines4lnghll

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 44):

It changes quite a bit. At one point DFW-IAH was down to 5 flights a day.
4engines4lnghll

us330

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 am

would'nt be surprised to see a larger number in O/D pax as compared to other city pairs.

No, what I was getting at was this:

Having grown up in Dallas, I'm very aware that taking Southwest out of Love for intra-Texas trips is a borderline innate consumer habit, and I doubt that many who live closer (or equidistant) to Love than to DFW are willing to schlep out to DFW for a hop down to San Antonio, Austin, or Houston.

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:26 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 38):
It may be slightly, but the difference in importance is going to be small at best. If you want to look at fortune 500 companies alone as an indicator of importance, I hope nobody every hires you as a consultant. Lets look at a more all around perspective huh?:

Top metro areas by fortune 500 compaines

New York City MSA - 66
Bay Area - 30
Chicago MSA - 29
Houston MSA - 25
Los Angeles MSA - 20
Washington D.C. MSA - 20
Dallas - Fort Worth MSA - 18

First off, the personal slam was uncalled for. No need to be petty and insulting.

Second, I note from your profile that you're in Plano, part of the Dallas MSA. You'll forgive me if I take your opinion with a grain of salt the size of a Rubik's Cube as a result.

Third, by your own numbers here in comparison to Dallas, Houston has roughly THIRTY PERCENT MORE FORTUNE 500 COMPANIES. That's not insignificant.

You say you hope no one ever hires me as a consultant, yet this thread proves that for some reason, AA feels the need to have more lift to/from IAH than UA does from DFW. Are their consultants wrong too?

commavia

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Quoting AAexecplat (Reply 22):
The reason AA is flying more mainline is because their scope clause has been far more restricted than UA's.

We have a winner.

The reason why AA has a relatively large mainline presence at IAH - like many of its outstations in large metro areas - compared to similarly large metro outstations at DL and UA is that AA has more mainline period in its overall network. While AA's pilot union refused for years to accept it, and/or tried as hard as possible to resist it, AA is a decade behind the wave of shifting mass amounts of the network to regional. As such, it has catching up to do. Take a look at the "[Airline] hub departures" threads to see how stark the comparison is - the mainline share of operations as a proportion of the overall network is substantially higher at AA than its main competitors. IAH is just one microcosm of that.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 47):
First off, the personal slam was uncalled for. No need to be petty and insulting.

As opposed to your comments about an entire metro area.   

Is it really necessary to have this argument again? The DFW metro is large than Houston, but the two are close. Economically, both are vast metropolitan economic zones with enormous commercial activity. DFW's commercial activity is perhaps slightly more diversified, but also more domestically-oriented, while Houston's is somewhat more concentrated (energy-centric), but also definitely more international.

LAXdude1023

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 47):

I love how you ignored 2/3 of the factual data provided and zeroed on on Fortune 500 companies instead. Since you think number of fortune 500 companies is the be all tell all for how important a city is, what's your explanation for Minneapolis being more important than Atlanta? Is Detroit a more important city than Boston?

Second, your initial claim was tha Houston had a much larger economy than Dallas. Well, that is technically true, but the Houston economy is .0018% larger than the DFW economy. You want to tell me with a straight face that is significant?

Third, I posted global city data which you ignored. Both are very similar in that regard as well, though Houston does get more international O&D due to oil industry ties.

Fourth, I suggest suggest you check out reply number 39. The OP in this thread posted hastily and had his facts wrong. UA is significantly larger at DFW than AA is at IAH by seat count. So if the consultants said that AA should be larger at IAH tha UA at DFW, yes they would be wrong.

Fifth, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, I don't care. I don't think highly of yours either. But you've been given hard facts. How are you going to dismiss those?

[Edited 2013-04-22 05:47:54]
It is what it is...