davs5032
Topic Author

Any Cseries Updates?

Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Seems like it's been several weeks since I've seen any news on how the program is progressing. As far as the development of the initial frames, there hasn't been much at all in the form of pictures or updates since the media presentation. Clearly, based on BBD's past precedent with this project, secrecy is to be expected, but it's still so strange...almost eerie..that so little information has been leaked to the public just 1 month prior to the month in which its scheduled to fly. Could it possibly still be on schedule? What building/testing stage must the project be at this point for June flight to still be realistic? Do any of our "insiders" have new pictures or details they can share?  

Paolo92

RE: Any Cseries Updates?

Fri May 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Latest update is from April 10:

Quote:
The first CSeries flight test vehicle (FTV1) is in its final stages of build and is progressing towards the transfer to the flight test phase following the completion of the full powering up of the main electrical distribution system in March 2013. The CSeries aircraft is moving closer to obtaining the safety-of-flight permit following the successful completion of the critical series of structural and system tests. The fly-by-wire system testing continues and to date, tests have shown results as expected. As for the assembly of the other flight test vehicles: systems installations are being completed on FTV2; the wings are being mated on FTV3; and the fuselage on FTV4 has entered into the assembly stage - all of which are advancing to schedule.

The latest appearance on photo/video of a CSeries aircraft is from the media presentation in March.
Each evening, stars come out their daylight hiding places... But one of those, will be my wingtip, passing over...

ytz

Fri May 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Quoting Paolo92 (Reply 1):
Latest update is from April 10:

That is a long time. And I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. They should have completed rigging the aircraft with instruments. And should be working on things like taxi tests now. FTV 2 should also be nearing completion.

JoeCanuck

Fri May 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 2):

They must be very close to engine start, at the very least. Darn that Mirabel for being so far away from spying eyes.
What the...?

Paolo92

Tue May 07, 2013 4:52 pm

CSeries Update from the #RAA13 - Regional Airline Association conference 2013:
- FTV 3 has wing mated to fuselage - final stages of structural assembly
- CSeries is finalizing last structural tests before receiving its safety of flight certificate

Picture of FTV1 by Bombardier on twitter:

[Edited 2013-05-07 10:16:04]
Each evening, stars come out their daylight hiding places... But one of those, will be my wingtip, passing over...

Quantos

Tue May 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Part 4 topic has been archive, so I'll post this here!

I just saw these two tweets go through:

Check out cool pic 1st #CSeries test aircraft rolling her 115 foot wing span through the hangar #RAA2013 #avgeek http://ow.ly/i/23Cdd

Image: http://ow.ly/i/23Cdd/original

#CSeries finalizing last structural tests for safety of flight certificate #avgeek #RAA13 http://ow.ly/i/23CzU3

Image: http://ow.ly/i/23CDp/original

The first picture is interesting, but also might be out of date (?). I see ailerons and elevators are there, as well as the rudders, but no flaps/slats. That said, there seem to be snow outside the hangar, and the technicians surrounding the aircraft are clothed with winter gear, both of which seem amiss for May 7th (I live in Mirabel and there is no more snow the ground) :P
Quantos,

I maintain the Bombardier C Series Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

Quantos

Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm

double post as well, woops

[Edited 2013-05-07 10:16:33]
Quantos,

Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

Paolo92

Tue May 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Quoting Quantos (Reply 5):

Bombardier used to post images with original EXIF data so that the date an image has been shot was identifiable.
With this picture there's no information on that... But I agree that it is certainly a "dated" picture.
I'd say mid-April, since from last Bombardier updates, pictures were 2/3 weeks old when updated.

[Edited 2013-05-07 10:19:59]

Paolo92

Tue May 07, 2013 5:28 pm

I correct myself. I am 99% certain that the picture shared today by Bombardier was shot on March 15, around 10:30pm to be precise. It is identical to the pic shared on March 25 by BBD, just from another angle and taken few minutes earlier...
Same hangar, same configuration of the aircraft (ailerons, rudder position, emergency door open), same snow on ground...
So still no up-to-date pic of the CSeries...
For what we know it could even be already painted....

Quantos

Tue May 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Wow, it's that old? It seems like a weird PR idea to use two months old pictures. People will whisper that there's something they don't want them to see.
Quantos,

davs5032
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Quoting Quantos (Reply 10):
ow, it's that old? It seems like a weird PR idea to use two months old pictures. People will whisper that there's something they don't want them to see.

BBD's PR strategy is interesting...seems to be the polar opposite of Boeing/Airbus' strategy (Boeing especially).
Boeing: "Listen to this guy that we employ talk about how great our new product is, and how it renders anything else obsolete!" (repeat weekly).
BBD: "New airplane, what new airplane? Well it may or may not exist, but you're gonna have to find where we're hiding it first."

One extent annoys me. The other bugs me, leaving me wanting more (perhaps selfishly), and keeps me on edge as a BBD stockholder.  

planemaker

Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Quoting davs5032 (Reply 11):
and keeps me on edge as a BBD stockholder.  

Well, then you must be looking forward to Thursday very much!!  
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

A320FlyGuy

Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Quoting Quantos (Reply 10):

Wow, it's that old? It seems like a weird PR idea to use two months old pictures. People will whisper that there's something they don't want them to see.

Bombardier does have a very...how can I put this diplomatically...."French Canadian" PR approach...and by that I mean that unlike Boeing flaunting every little rivet that is punched into an airframe, Bombardier tends to wait until the product has been perfected. Besides....being based in Quebec, the province likes to think about itself being it's own country...it only stands to reason they would have an iron curtain-esque approach to PR news.

Case in point...the CRJ-1000 was heavily touted on the Bombardier website and then....nothing. At the time, it seemed odd...I know Air Canada had been visited by the Bombardier sales team pushing the CRJ-1000....then nothing for almost a year. As we know now, it was due to the rudder control issues that grounded flight testing. But, it was still really odd at the time. I think that they want to wait until the CSeries has been perfected before really rolling it out and flashing it to the world.

I believe that the CSeries would be great to replace some of our oldest A320s and A319s...will it happen? Who knows...it would be great to support Bombardier...Air Canada as a Crown corporation had an obvious reason to support Bombardier...(much like Air France supporting Airbus)...and of course as everyone knows...we didn't (thanks to a very impressive finance package from Airbus...hehehe)...
My other car is an A320-200

Paolo92

Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 pm

More news from AINonline:

Bombardier Upbeat on CSeries Path to First Flight
Quote:
Bombardier has reaffirmed its intention to achieve the first flight of its new CSeries airliner next month, with complete airframe static tests (CAST) on track to establish that flight testing can commence safely.
[...]
The first test aircraft (FTV1) has moved out of the assembly hall at the Montreal Mirabel site to the flight-test hall to undergo functional testing on its various systems. Bombardier has hung the engines from FTV2 and is now installing systems, while it mates FTV3’s wings to the fuselage; the FTV4 fuselage is mainly complete and assembly of FTV5 has just started.
[...]

pnwtraveler

Tue May 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Quoting A320FlyGuy (Reply 13):
Air Canada as a Crown corporation had an obvious reason to support Bombardier

I am presuming by your past tense that you are referring to back in the day when Air Canada was a crown corporation. It of course isn't now and hasn't been since 1988. I point that out that since some people are still confused by that topic despite 25 passing. But perhaps they still drive an American Motors Pacer, shop at Dominion for groceries and wear Johnny Carson suits from Penny's.

A320FlyGuy

Tue May 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Quoting pnwtraveler (Reply 15):
I am presuming by your past tense that you are referring to back in the day when Air Canada was a crown corporation. It of course isn't now and hasn't been since 1988. I point that out that since some people are still confused by that topic despite 25 passing. But perhaps they still drive an American Motors Pacer, shop at Dominion for groceries and wear Johnny Carson suits from Penny's.

Yes I am...I know that AC hasn't been a Crown corporation since 1988...but a lot of people assume that the company still has government influence...and to a certain degree, there still is some influence.
My other car is an A320-200

JoeCanuck

Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Quoting Paolo92 (Reply 14):

How is it possible that the plane moved from one hall to another without a single photo? Surely it must have been outdoors for the journey?
What the...?

Paolo92

Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 17):

if You check the location of Bombardier's hangars at Mirabel, You'll see that they are well isolated, there's not actually too much distance between the assembly hangar and the flight test facility, if they were on opposite sides of the airport I'd understand some pics would come out, but they're like next-door...
And there's the location of Mirabel.... You shall go there on purpose an then, someone may stand there, waiting for the CSeries to appear in-between BBD hangars, like for days and days... and the CSeries went out once (as far as we know now...).
They chose the right place for keeping things "under the radar"...
If Boeing or Airbus take a plane out of a hangar in PAE or TLS, there are so many facilities and people in the surrounding area that one would, almost immediately, notice...

[Edited 2013-05-08 04:50:48]

Paolo92

Wed May 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Article on the Montreal Gazette:

Quote:
Ohio-based Fuller, the chief salesman for the CSeries, said his schedule would take him to Tokyo, Bangkok, Dubai, Bahrain, Cape Town and elsewhere — all before the Paris air show in six weeks.

At the CSeries update (March 7), the same Chet Fuller disclosed that Bombardier is in the "final stages" for 5 additional deals (I'd exclude Porter's conditional order, since it was already one of the undisclosed customers).
And here we have the five locations for those five deals:
- Tokyo - ANA and/or JAL (article on Bloomberg specified those two airlines are specific targets for Bombardier's marketing campaign)
- Bangkok - I'm unaware of any anticipation for airlines based here
- Dubai - flyDubai was among the interested airlines for the 160-seat CS300XCS (eXtra Capacity Seating)
- Bahrain - Gulf Air back in the game? Bahrain Air was considering the CSeries but it declared bankruptcy in February this year.
- Cape Town - South African Airlines or its Express subsidiary... SAA has 11 A319 (8-9 years old) but an all-Airbus fleet, while SAA Express has an all-Bombardier fleet (CR2, CR7 and DH4)

Paolo92

Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 pm

First CS100 aircraft got registered by Transport Canada.
Flight Permit Specific Purpose - Experimental
msn: 50001
aircraft model: BD-500-1A10
Date of record: May 6, 2013
http://www.regosearch.com/aircraft/ca/FBCS

lightsaber
Crew

Thu May 09, 2013 5:06 am

Quoting Paolo92 (Reply 19):
- Bahrain - Gulf Air back in the game?

As much as I would like that order, is Gulf Air in a condition to order?

- Bangkok - I'm unaware of any anticipation for airlines based here

It might be a small order from one of the smaller Thai based airlines. I'm more excited about the stops in Tokyo or Dubai. However, sales will be tough before about six months of flight test data.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

DexSwart

Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 am

- Cape Town - South African Airlines or its Express subsidiary... SAA has 11 A319 (8-9 years old) but an all-Airbus fleet, while SAA Express has an all-Bombardier fleet (CR2, CR7 and DH4)

Actually, I'd wager that they're going to pitch to Airlink. Airlink's Avro's and ERJ's would be nicely replaced. And the C series would let 4Z (Airlink) really expand beyond its realm.
And, they'd actually be able to finance the purchase, since they're a separate company and not affected by SA's rediculous CEO's.

Another airline that might get pitched to is MN, or Comair.

They ordered 4 737NGs, and they'll need to start replacing their Classic 737s.

Well, by my speculation at least...
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

Paolo92

Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Today, Bombardier published its results for the 1st quarter.
The first flight is confirmed to take place "in June".
As usual, Bombardier also published its "Program Status Report" for each airplane family offered, notably, from the CSeries orders, 3 CS100 are missing, which were previously classified as "unspecified customer", in the press release nothing is mentioned, apart from the "firm orders from 9 customers and commitments from 4 additional customers".
That means that the "undisclosed, well established airline" that firmed an order for 3 CS100 +3 options during the 2011 Paris airshow is no longer among the customers.
It was earlier rumored that this airline was Gulf Air, but, when they did not announce any order at the Bahrain airshow last year, all the rumours of a Gulf Air order vanished.
Could it be that it was indeed a Gulf Air order and, given all the troubles the airline is in, they cancelled it?

Paolo92

Thu May 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Here's the official explanation by Bombardier:

Quote:
During the first quarter of the current fiscal year, we terminated and removed from the order backlog an order from an undisclosed customer for three CSeries aircraft due to financial difficulties of the customer. This customer also had options for three additional CSeries aircraft.

found here: Bombardier 2013 First Quarter Results

YXXMIKE

Thu May 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Looks like a little bit more of an update from BBD...

http://business.financialpost.com/20...-month-as-bombardier-profit-rises/

Seems vague as what seems to be the norm from Mirabel but it still feels positive thus far. Looking forward to seeing this out of the hangar and doing some ground test in front of a few cameras  

Paolo92

Sat May 11, 2013 12:42 pm

http://youtu.be/6dCEG1XqVTg

In this video uploaded by Bombardier on Youtube, regarding the above-mentioned RAA conference, there are new images of the whole FTV fleet:
- FTV1 - picture seen earlier, dated "March"; two pictures dated "April" in which wires and harnesses are seen being installed.
- FTV2 - two pictures where it looks structurally complete, movable surfaces, systems and wires to be installed.
- FTV3 - one picture where it looks structurally almost complete (tail assembly still missing).
- FTV4 - one picture, fuselage mated together.
- FTV5 - one picture, fuselage sections.

JoeCanuck

Sat May 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Quoting Paolo92 (Reply 26):

The do put out some slick videos...more recent pics and more details would be nice. Our CSeries experts have been very quiet of late...I'm hoping no news is good news.

Still...we've waited this long...a bit longer won't cause an aneurysm, I guess....hopefully.
What the...?

KarelXWB
Crew

Sat May 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Here are the pictures.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2q2k9ac.jpg

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2z69etu.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/689cuf.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/303a45k.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2u70plj.jpg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/mcrk3k.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2q893du.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/97l7xd.jpg

[Edited 2013-05-11 09:12:45]
Close, but no cigar http://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

kaneporta1

Sat May 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Is it just me, or these are engines that I can see hanging under the FTV2 wings? If yes, then that aircraft is quite complete!
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

KarelXWB
Crew

Sat May 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Yes both FTV2 engines seems to be attached.

Paolo92

Sat May 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Quoting kaneporta1 (Reply 29):

AINonline confirms:

Quote:
Bombardier has hung the engines from FTV2 and is now installing systems

KarelXWB
Crew

Sun May 12, 2013 9:10 am

/edit

Duplicate post.

[Edited 2013-05-12 02:12:42]

r2rho

Mon May 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Quoting Paolo92 (Reply 26):
- FTV1 - picture seen earlier, dated "March"; two pictures dated "April" in which wires and harnesses are seen being installed.
- FTV2 - two pictures where it looks structurally complete, movable surfaces, systems and wires to be installed.
- FTV3 - one picture where it looks structurally almost complete (tail assembly still missing).
- FTV4 - one picture, fuselage mated together.
- FTV5 - one picture, fuselage sections.

Very good news to see all five test frames in assembly progress - having all of them flying in parallel as soon as possible is critical to advancing quickly through the flight test program.

By comparison, the A350 has only MSN1&3 under assembly, AFAIK MSN2 has not yet arrived in FAL - things are looking better at BBD.

PHX787

Mon May 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Lookin good! For those posting photos- keep it up, i love it   looks like a beautiful airplane. Hopefully some Japanese LCCs will jump on board with it
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

lightsaber
Crew

Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Quoting Paolo92 (Reply 31):
AINonline confirms:

From your link
Bombardier Commercial Aircraft marketing vice president Philippe Poutissou said its engineers are preparing to hand over the first aircraft to the flight-test team in time to achieve the first flight in June.

Most excellent! While Bombardier might due a bit of 'activation' (verify control movement, or what they call functional testing) prior to hand over to flight test, I'll consider the first major 'flight test' milestone when the plane is at the fuel dock.   

Lightsaber

r2rho

Tue May 21, 2013 11:56 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 35):
Bombardier Commercial Aircraft marketing vice president Philippe Poutissou said its engineers are preparing to hand over the first aircraft to the flight-test team in time to achieve the first flight in June.

Great news from an enthusiast's point of view   We may have both the A350 and the CSeries flying within days of each other, sometime shortly before or around Le Bourget...    And I expect BBD to have a good show performance and announce a few more orders. June should be an exciting month!

xero9

Wed May 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if someone wanted to check out the maiden flight of the CS100, is that even possible? Is that someone the average Joe would even do? I think it would be fun to make a day of it to go to Montreal and watch.

Quantos

Wed May 22, 2013 3:26 pm

It will happen at Mirabel, so it would probably be possible to watch from somewhere in the vicinity (icar, for instance).
Quantos,

queb

Wed May 22, 2013 3:55 pm

The problem is that Mirabel is in the middle of nowhere but BBD will probably notify medias few hours before 1st flight

[Edited 2013-05-22 08:59:48]

http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/17/03/84/59/mirabe10.jpg
http://goo.gl/maps/fkN98

[Edited 2013-05-22 09:16:38]

Quantos

Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Hmm, I wonder where BBD will place the press. It could be at the plant itself, but it's a bit far from the runway, isn't it? Maybe on the roof on one of the buildings, if that's accessible?

What about the terminal itself? It is still opened to everyone?

[Edited 2013-05-22 09:23:49]
Quantos,

JoeCanuck

Wed May 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Quoting queb (Reply 39):

First good chuckle of the day...thanks.

They must have some real tight security happening there...not a single shot since the first viewing way back when. The last we heard was that FTV1 was going to be turned over to the flight test department...'soon'.

Any rumours about whether or not it has snuck into the paint booth?
What the...?

queb

Wed May 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 41):
Any rumours about whether or not it has snuck into the paint booth?

I don't know, the paint shop is the building between FTV1 and the taxiway. not visible from the road

Paolo92

Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Bombardier published two videos on youtube, regarding the CSeries, in the last few days:

Bombardier CAST SOF Celebration
Milestone: complention of safety of flight tests on the static airframe.

A Visit of the CSeries FTV1 with Professor Karl Moore
There's the FTV 1 which looks complete, not painted. Prof. Karl Moore of McGill University comments on the program.

lightsaber
Crew

Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Quoting Paolo92 (Reply 43):
Milestone: complention of safety of flight tests on the static airframe.

Interesting... a bit late. Or maybe I just worked for companies that did that early.   

But the flying airframe has *not* complete SOF checks. There is quite a bit of work left to be done. I'd love a checklist and status update.   

Lightsaber

JoeCanuck

Thu May 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 44):
But the flying airframe has *not* complete SOF checks. There is quite a bit of work left to be done. I'd love a checklist and status update

Actually, (in seemingly normal BBD fashion), they really didn't say anything specific regarding FTV1. The video with Prof Moore, could be as much as a few weeks old, (which I suspect given the number of panels still missing).
What the...?

Quantos

Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 pm

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...y+testing+ahead/8455420/story.html

They did state that FTV1 remains on course for a first flight by the end of June.
Quantos,

Paolo92

Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 pm

The homepage of cseries.com today became "the CSeries Hub" as called by Bombardier, grouping the latest releases by the company in terms of news/pictures/videos.

Nice graphics.

[Edited 2013-05-30 15:46:21]

JoeCanuck

Fri May 31, 2013 1:35 am

It's going to finally seem very real when FTV1 rolls into the paint booth, with all its bits attached.
What the...?

queb

Fri May 31, 2013 1:38 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 48):

It's going to finally seem very real when FTV1 rolls into the paint booth, with all its bits attached.

not sure if it will be painted before first flight

JoeCanuck

Fri May 31, 2013 1:43 am

Quoting queb (Reply 49):
not sure if it will be painted before first flight

That's true...green planes are test flown all the time. That's as much as a week saved just in avoiding the paint job.

I suspect the first paint job will include the logo of their official launch customer.
What the...?