capitalflyer
Topic Author

DCA Charters

Thu May 02, 2013 12:18 am

Perusing Flightaware today and found a wacky flight number for SY

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8602

The destination is Escanaba MI. Now I am pretty sure SY didn't get a slot for service to Escanaba. They do have service to MSP via LAN. Given the flight number, I assume that it is a charter of some type.

This begs the question, what are the rules for charters into DCA? Given the slot restrictions and security considerations, I can't imagine just any Tom,, Dick, or Harry (or Tanya, Debbie, or Hannah for that matter) with an airplane can land at DCA. Who decides what charters are allowed?

71Zulu

RE: DCA Charters

Thu May 02, 2013 3:16 am

http://abc10up.com/u-p-honor-flight-heads-to-washington-d-c-2/

Don't know who controls charters at DCA but this was the return of an Honor Flight.

There have also been some NFL charters into DCA, the Cowboys on an AA 752 and I remember a NW 753 into DCA right before the merger.
Clickable links only please!

skywaymanaz

RE: DCA Charters

Fri May 03, 2013 9:48 am

I hadn't seen any sports charters into DCA but wouldn't surprise me if there have been a few, especially with the NFL. I see more of them into IAD and sometimes BWI. I believe that any non scheduled flight into DCA has to have an armed air marshall on board and either be screened by TSA at its departure point or an approved gateway airport. They also have to have reserved an IFR arrival slot from the pool available for General Aviation. All these hurdles are probabaly easier for an NFL charter to overcome than any other sport. Only one game per week gives them more freedom to arrive a day or two ahead of time to adjust to weather and time zone. MLB, NBA and NHL scheduling would probably make this much harder as they usually depart 2-3 hours after a game ends to move on to the next city.