JoePatroni707
Topic Author

Man Sues VX Over Soda

Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Seems to me the whole thing got blown out of proportion. Flight attendants tend to do that. However, always two sides to a story...

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...line-over-soda-spat-135121857.html

FedExFlyerPHL

RE: Man Sues VX Over Soda

Sat May 04, 2013 11:32 pm

I don't understand what the big deal was about using the console to order. I actually find it more convenient.
Home base: SNA, LGB, LAX

thegoldenargosy

Sat May 04, 2013 11:33 pm

I'd like to hear what the flight attendants have to say. After working in the industry I tend to believe the employee over the passenger.

FlyKev
Crew

Sat May 04, 2013 11:39 pm

If they called the cops on him, that is over the top - however suing for $500,000 in damages is in no way legitimate compensation for what happened. The original $3000 and even the $5000 VX offered this passenger seemed much more reasonable.
What a joke.

Kevin.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

727LOVER

Sat May 04, 2013 11:46 pm

From the article:

"I'm going to have some kind of record because of a flight attendant fabricating events?" says Bevivino

What recprd???????  

He wasnt arrested!  
Love Trumps Hate

BMI727

Sun May 05, 2013 12:08 am

No matter what did or did not occur on the flight, this passenger is a blithering idiot. Nobody would know anything about this had he not made a big deal of this by filing suit and taking it to the media. The guy is a moron and and a drama queen.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

MaverickM11

Sun May 05, 2013 12:24 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 4):
"I'm going to have some kind of record because of a flight attendant fabricating events?" says Bevivino

A record of Dutch oven-ing a plane load of people ? We all make choices...
E pur si muove -Galileo

DeltaMD90

Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 am

Wow. Well I doubt the crew would call the police on him for nothing... maybe calling the police was over the top for what he really might have done but I'm sure there had to be something... something is fishy...

And boo hoo, cry me a river, I'm sure he wasn't $500,000 traumatized by this ordeal. Some people have way too much time on their hands
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

strangr

Sun May 05, 2013 12:47 am

Typical American attitude I think.

The customer was asked to do it as per policy, but refused and again pressed the call button even after being asked to do it said way.

Its not that hard really to follow the rules, but from my experience in the USA no one is willing to compromise on the fact that I'll do it my way and eventually you'll do what i tell you to cause i am the customer.

$500k lawsuit again typical American attitude, this would be laughed at all the way to the footpath in Australia, but again this keep an over litigated society employed.

NWAROOSTER

Sun May 05, 2013 12:51 am

The airline should have offered the passenger an apology in writing and paid him the money it originally offered and guaranteed the passenger NO record of the incident would appear in any police or other record that would name or involve the passenger. In other words, the incident should have been "expunged" at the airlines expense. I think the passenger would have accepted it.. I would have, but most likely never fly on that airline again. Involving the police had to be the stupidest thing that could have be done. The airline employees need to be reeducated in passenger relations. The police have better and more important things to handle than petty stupidity. Safety of flight or the crew was never involved.
I think requiring a passenger to order a soda or make any other request electronically is stupid and ludicrous. The flight attendant could have simply told him, he could buy one and charge him for it. The unfortunate thing is now that most airlines now do not trust their employees with cash and require passengers to use electronic terminals , such as the one on the back of the seat, to keep a record of what is sold. Payment also may be required with a credit card. Life, now days is just too complicated and people are required to waste time to do the simplest things. Not everyone will die because they do not have an iPhone, iPad or some other electronic device.
It should be KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.   
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

Type-Rated

Sun May 05, 2013 1:03 am

Quoting strangr (Reply 8):
Its not that hard really to follow the rules, but from my experience in the USA no one is willing to compromise on the fact that I'll do it my way and eventually you'll do what i tell you to cause i am the customer.

There is a segment of the population that refuse to follow rules. It's like they are one step out of beat with everyone else. Combine that with a flight attendant who firmly believes "You'll do it the way I tell you to or you'll get nothing" and this is what you get. It becomes a contest of the wills and the drink is no longer a consideration. Who gets their own way is.

Now the bathroom antics, humph. Remember the company CEO who a few years ago urinated and took a dump on a food service cart on a South America to New York flight?

Passenger Jailed: "Abominable" Behaviour In-Flight (by Singapore_Air Dec 18 2003 in Civil Aviation)
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Baexecutive

Sun May 05, 2013 1:15 am

Only in America!!! This guy must have more time on his hands than sense. A few things to consider -

1) Why was he so reluctant to use the process VX have in place to order a drink? Was he intoxicated or on drugs?
2) Why did the crew call the police here, was he verbally abusing them? Threatening behaviour?
3) Where are the other passengers accounts of what has happened?
4) Why did VX offer compensation?

People do need to remember that crew are here primarily to ensure the safety of the aircraft and customers within, not just a flying waiter/waitress who will obey everything a customer asks of them, in an emergency situation, customers need to know thst the crew are in control of the cabin.

Of course if the customer requests a drink and is either unfamiliar or simply requests not to use the automated service then they should have been offered one in the first place. At the end of the day the ordering service is in place for the convenience of the customer ie if it is not convenient to use it then offer an alternative.....simples.

SocalApproach

Sun May 05, 2013 2:13 am

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 9):
I think requiring a passenger to order a soda or make any other request electronically is stupid and ludicrous.

However VX does NOT require any guest to use the RED system to order drinks or food. If a guest presses the call button a inflight teammember will assist the guest with whatever he/she needs and that includes ordering. I have seen it first hand where a teammember will just come to that guest seat and then come back with whatever that guest wanted from the back. Everyone has to understand how ludicrous this sounds to say that electronic ordering is a requirement because that doesn't help VX in promoting guest service which is what VX is all about. You would have to think there is a certain crowd VX is missing out on with such a ridiculous requirement meaning elderly folks. There is a scripted line the inflight teamleader reads after passing 10,000 feet that is along the lines of "we will stay out of your way throughout the flight but just press the call button if you needs and WE will be there" There is no policy or line that is said to guest that ordering from the RED system is a requirement. It is simply a convenience and a very good one at that.

Also to note I have seen first hand where a guest wanted to order a premium drink and they were not sure how to go about doing on the RED system and I saw the inflight teammember order it herself from a vacant seat right behind the guest, slide the credit card herself and get the guest her drink. Very simple and I am sure this happens from time to time. Not every guest is 20 years old and has an iphone,ipad i-whatever.... This guy has no case. I don't know much about suing anyone but maybe this guy is trying to get a much bigger settlement. I hope he gets nothing at all now.

Mir

Sun May 05, 2013 2:40 am

Even if everything transpired as the passenger described it (which is possible, but I doubt), that still doesn't merit suing the airline. He's outed himself as a Grade-A Idiot.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

sr117

Sun May 05, 2013 3:20 am

Sounds fishy to me, I doubt the crew would have gone through the whole trouble of calling the police on this guy if all he did was refuse to order through the IFE's order system. He probably had to do something really irritating for the crew to act the way they did. Doing anything of the sort adds to the workload of everyone involved so it seems strange that they would have done it for nothing.

Jetsgo

Sun May 05, 2013 4:17 am

Quoting JoePatroni707 (Thread starter):
However, always two sides to a story...

Three sides.

The fact that VX offered $3k and then $5k gives SOME merit to the loser passenger complaints.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

sankaps

Sun May 05, 2013 4:30 am

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 2):
After working in the industry I tend to believe the employee over the passenger.

I am sure most passengers would feel differently. Flight attendants with attitudes and on power trips are not uncommon, sadly.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 7):
Wow. Well I doubt the crew would call the police on him for nothing...

Well, apparently it was for nothing since no charges were filed, safety or security was not at risk, and the airline offered compensation for the incident.

Oh wait -- maybe they called the police because he supposedly did not flush the toilet. Don't we all know that is a crime these days?

The customer was asked to do it as per policy

There is no such policy. Ordering through the IFE system is an OPTION, it is not a requirement.

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 9):
The airline should have offered the passenger an apology in writing and paid him the money it originally offered and guaranteed the passenger NO record of the incident would appear in any police or other record that would name or involve the passenger. In other words, the incident should have been "expunged" at the airlines expense. I think the passenger would have accepted it.. I would have, but most likely never fly on that airline again. Involving the police had to be the stupidest thing that could have be done. The airline employees need to be reeducated in passenger relations. The police have better and more important things to handle than petty stupidity. Safety of flight or the crew was never involved

Exactly! Well said!

[Edited 2013-05-04 21:38:00]

Quokkas

Sun May 05, 2013 4:34 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
that still doesn't merit suing the airline.

I guess that even if the airline's version of events is true, the police would be reluctant to press charges on the basis of "he said, she said." Were there independent witnesses to the "profanities"? Can they prove he didn't flush the lavatory and is that a criminal offence?

On the other hand, if what he claims is true, the shameful behaviour of a crew member who was too lazy to serve a drink, followed by lies told about him to the police when the Captain supports the view that he did not pose a risk to the crew, certainly does warrant an apology. According to the report, no apology was offered but an offer of hush money was made.

Then again, the whole story could be made up. We all know how friendly, cheerful and helpful customer service is the airline's first priority. Despite offering money to go away, the airline spokeswoman says, "and after reviewing the facts of this particular case, we believe our team handled the matter appropriately."
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

milemaster

Sun May 05, 2013 5:05 am

Typical American attitude I think

Fascinating. Hundreds of thousands of Americans get on planes all over the world every day. I look forward to reading the thousands of other in-flight incidents that took place that same day as a result of the typical American attitude. Of course I have to sort through the tens of millions of inflight incidents that took place over the past year first to catch up.

AY104

Sun May 05, 2013 5:27 am

Not just typical American attitude any more....all over the world now, it seems. Thanks to globalization so many people everywhere act inappopriately.
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

MillwallSean

Sun May 05, 2013 5:55 am

Isnt this typical opportunistic legals suits. he sees a chance to make some money. Have some lawyer company handle it all for him for 35% of the money he can make etc?

The fact that Virgin offered him compensation (3000 or 5000 which to me is a large amount) tells me he must have some merit to his claim. They wouldnt offer him such an amount unless they know something isnt right here.

Again what I cant understand is how a trained service professional ends up in a situation like this over such a trivial thing?
I mean the FA is trained in service, its her/his main purpose onboard this flight (unless an emergency situation develops then the primary tasks shifts). If the passenger refuses to use the system, just do it for him, smile and explain that its company policy with the system and that if not done that way the company might suspect the FA of being dishonest, smile five more times, excuse yourself for leaning over the passenger when making the order using his system. Ask three questions about his day, his work while doing it. Constantly smile.
Problem solved.
Professional attitude and service isn't that hard and over a situation like this I cant for the life of me understand why it gets so completely out of hand. A professional should never let it reach this level.
if the day has been rough, the passengers hell, then walk away for 1 minute and take 10 deep breaths and return and make the order, make a silly excuse smile and think of the paycheck, the family or whatever. Its just a job.

What always fascinates me is
A. people saying flight attendants are there for security purposes mainly. (I have yet to meet one senior airline manager that agrees with that point. Hint most waitresses at a cruiseship also participate in an evacuation - few of us believe they are mainly on board for safety...)
Security is one important part of the work as an FA. But it sure isn't the main reason airlines hire flight attendants or the main task expected from that profession.
I have come to believe that the indoctrination of security as such an important point for US based flight attendants is the major reason we see so many of these instances happening in the US. The idea that service first, second and third seemed to have been forgotten in all this security talk.

Calling the police for this should result in another lawsuit. the police actually have more important things to do in society than handle arguments between two adults behaving like kids in a playground. Disgraceful use of public resources.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

sankaps

Sun May 05, 2013 6:13 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 20):
Security is one important part of the work as an FA. But it sure isn't the main reason airlines hire flight attendants or the main task expected from that profession.

The main tasks of FAs all over the world are Safety AND Service. Both EQUALLY important. But in some parts of the world, especially the US, the Safety part is now too often taken as an excuse to justify poor or no service. The balance has been lost.

Of course there are exceptions, such as the lovely Delta crew I had on JFK-LHR last month. But unfortunately these fantastic FAs are let down by their power-tripping colleagues who given them all a bad name.

koruman

Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 am

The passenger's attitude of entitlement is obnoxious, obviously. The airline would be within its rights to refuse to transport him ever again.

However, this lawsuit is not about soda. It's about vengeful cabin crew misusing actions intended for terrorists as a means of getting revenge against an obnoxious passenger. And that is not okay, and insults the memory of the victims of actual terrorism.

The shadow of 9/11 has left US aircrews with the power to settle vendettas with concocted claims of threats or suspicious behaviour.

There need to be checks and balances. And devastating consequences for airline employees crying "Wolf" to settle scores.

Obviously 99.999% of passenger hostility or threats are witnessed by other passengers.

So the US needs a federal "Abuse of Power" law stating that any case of a pilot offloading a passenger on the say-so of cabin crew without witness corroboration from passengers not employed by the airline will lose his pilot's licence forever, without any right of appeal, face a long custodial prison sentence for his own act of air piracy, and pay a seven figure fine. Similar sanctions should apply to the cabin crew involved.

At the moment, it's too easy for a flight attendant who is tired and annoyed by a passenger to settle the argument by invoking anti-terror measures. There is no disincentive.

But if it was going to cost the person their livelihood, their life-savings and a long stretch in jail, they just might conclude that no, this annoying passenger cannot be taught a lesson by being treated as a suspected terrorist.

[Edited 2013-05-04 23:23:03]

sankaps

Sun May 05, 2013 6:26 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 22):
The passenger's attitude of entitlement is obnoxious, obviously. The airline would be within its rights to refuse to transport him ever again.

Why? They offered him compensation so there is some acknowledgment they screwed up. Are you suggesting they ban him for daring to file a lawsuit (however opportunistic the lawsuit may seem to us)?

However, this lawsuit is not about soda. It's about vengeful cabin crew misusing actions intended for terrorists as a means of getting revenge against an obnoxious passenger. And that is not okay, and insults the memory of the victims of actual terrorism.

Agree 1000%!

the US needs a federal "Abuse of Power" law stating that any case of a pilot offloading a passenger on the say-so of cabin crew without witness corroboration from passengers not employed by the airline will lose his pilot's licence forever, without any right of appeal, face a long custodial prison sentence for his own act of air piracy, and pay a seven figure fine. Similar sanctions should apply to the cabin crew involved.

Very extreme  , but again I agree 1000% with the underlying point you are making.

737tdi

Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 am

Typical American attitude I think.

The customer was asked to do it as per policy, but refused and again pressed the call button even after being asked to do it said way.

$500k lawsuit again typical American attitude, this would be laughed at all the way to the footpath in Australia, but again this keep an over litigated society employed.

Really, you want to attack an entire nation for one idiots indiscretions? You don't know me and I don't know you and we will never meet but that is the most asinine comment I have ever heard. You don't have Idiots in Australia? Visit and you will see exactly what America is like. I am not talking NY or SF, visit the people and places that make this country what it is. I take offense to that comment and hope you get a chance to visit the real America.

I have visited your country several times and find that y''all are full of less then spectacular people yourselves.

sankaps

Sun May 05, 2013 6:57 am

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 24):
You don't have Idiots in Australia? Visit and you will see exactly what America is like. I am not talking NY or SF, visit the people and places that make this country what it is. I take offense to that comment and hope you get a chance to visit the real America.
Quoting 737tdi (Reply 24):
I have visited your country several times and find that y''all are full of less then spectacular people yourselves.

Pot. Kettle. Black. Was with you till I read the second quote above.

shufflemoomin

Sun May 05, 2013 7:46 am

I actually agree with the passenger here. He's not suing because they didn't bring him a soda, he's suing because he claims they made up lies and had him detained by the police. He must have belief in his actions or he wouldn't take it to court. If he was lying about what he did, I doubt he'd want it under the close scrutiny of a lawsuit. Besides, even if does turn out that he swore at the crew, that's STILL no reason to call the police and have him detained. How over-sensitive can people be? I actually hope he wins, because I'm getting incredibly tired of US cabin crew acting like they're special human beings who are allowed to call the police for every little incident or believing that they have some sort of power over the public.

PanHAM

Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 am

well, this story depends on hear-say. But if it is true that a FA pointed at the passenger and then at the screen, motioning him to order his soda that way, this would be extremely bad manner.

Running an airline is still a service industry and passengers are guests who pay the salary of the flight attendants and the pilots. Ordering through a screen is an option, asking the FA politely for a soda is another option. Passengers are not trained monkeys. Actually, such a behaviour by an empöloyee is an insult to the passenger.

I would indeed also express my dis-satisfaction should that happen to me. I would tell that politely of course. if that leads to an interview by half a dozen armed cops at the destnaiton airport, suing the airline would be more than reasonable.