Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rwy04lga

RE: Delta Views New Terminal As Symbol Of Modern Age O

Fri May 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Quoting PanAm1971 (Reply 45):
The comments from Delta employees and supporters shows the utter contempt they have for what is actually an important aviation landmark.

Not EVERY Delta employee wants it torn down. T-5 is a protected landmark, T-3 isn't. THAT'S why T-5 was saved....there was no other reason. Start a campaign to get T-3 designated a protected landmark and then get back to us.

Half the people here bitch and moan that T-3 is a dump as should be razed, and the other half are stuck in the past and want Delta to continue spending millions of dollars maintaining what is CLEARLY an outdated and crumbling terminal that is far too small and not appropriate for a airline of Delta's standing. You can't please everybody all the time. Counter to yours, I've see posts that claim 'I'm never flying Delta until they get rid of that hellhole T-3' and 'Ooo, JetBlue's terminal is SO much nicer than Delta's'. So what does Delta do? They have to stay competitive and keep up with the Joneses. Doesn't really matter what they do, Delta will be damned if they do and damned if they don't. I suggest they, at least, put a big tarp over it....an umbrella over the umbrella, if you will.

For the record, since I have fond childhood memories of Pan American there, I hope they keep the saucer section and jettison the secondary hull.

mayor

Fri May 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 44):
Does anyone have any data to suggest that Delta should have put a ton of money into T4 because people will pay more money to use it? I doubt it. Some sound business decisions are made bacause of the experience they provide to your customers; the prestige of being a part of an iconic facility; and the image that creates for the company. Returning T3 to its elegant origins - and its origibal purpose - would qualify for that.

And all those years since DL took over PA's terminals, people complained what a dump it was and DL should "do something about it". Now, when they ARE doing something about it, all people can do is complain because they are.

The comments from Delta employees and supporters shows the utter contempt they have for what is actually an important aviation landmark. Hopefully, wiser heads will prevail and the destruction will be prevented.

First off, I doubt if DL employees have "contempt" for the terminal. That's a pretty strong term. DL has struggled, now for almost 22 years to do something about it, when no one else would. Secondly, where were you people, that want the structure saved, when DL and the airport authority announced the project? Where were the voices, then? It seems like, you've only woken up when the announcement of the opening has been made.

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 47):
Yeah... and while we're at it, let's tear down the Washington Monument - it's just a useless pile of rocks. A cell phone tower would be much more practical there.

And why hasn't someone bulldozed Moab Mational Monument and put in some housing development? We all need houses more than monuments! It's time to get those bulldozers moving... isn't it...???

Bad analogies, of which I can only give you a D-1 minus for trying. The Washington Monument was built AS A MONUMENT, something which cannot be said for the terminal at JFK.

Moab was done by nature.........not even a good comparison. When the JFK terminal was built, I doubt if anyone was thinking about it being there forever or that it was a "national monument". If they had, maybe they should have bestowed the "landmark" status on it. So, blame those folks, not DL. DL is merely trying to give it's customers and employees a pleasant place to travel thru and work.

Curiousflyer

Fri May 10, 2013 4:54 pm

What will happen to T2? It is a cramped dump too.

Can T4 be extended all the way to T1?

alfa164

Fri May 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 50):
For the record, since I have fond childhood memories of Pan American there, I hope they keep the saucer section and jettison the secondary hull.

Thank you - that is exactly what should happen. Without the misguided "add-on", the saucer terminal could be a practical, stylish coucourse - and it would be far cheaper to renovate it than to build an entitrely new building.

It is the symbol of the "golden age" in aviation; when passengers dressed well, flight attendants were friendly and helpful, and flying was fun. So let T4 be DL's symbol of the "modern age" - you know, these times of surly agents, long security lines, more fees on top of extra fees, and the asinine new "same day" travel scam... if T3 can bring back even a single memory of its age, it deserves to be a part of our experience.

tommy767

Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Quoting cokepopper (Reply 49):
The emotions are running into hysteria here lol....As many have pointed out, Just who is suppose to
keep funding the "Saucer"? Delta? Taxpayers?

Well, since the P.A. runs the airports, they can save the saucer by taking it out of the grossly overfunded pensions  

mayor

Fri May 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 53):

It is the symbol of the "golden age" in aviation; when passengers dressed well, flight attendants were friendly and helpful, and flying was fun. So let T4 be DL's symbol of the "modern age" - you know, these times of surly agents, long security lines, more fees on top of extra fees, and the asinine new "same day" travel scam... if T3 can bring back even a single memory of its age, it deserves to be a part of our experience.

Why don't you just take Greyhound?  

BTW, lets not forget about the "surly" pax, too

[Edited 2013-05-10 10:44:25]

alfa164

Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 55):
Why don't you just take Greyhound?

These days, I do feel like I am taking Greyhound - and that's something I would like to get away from. Are you one of the people who gives me that impression?

mayor

Fri May 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 56):
These days, I do feel like I am taking Greyhound - and that's something I would like to get away from. Are you one of the people who gives me that impression?

I doubt it......I retired 8 years ago

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri May 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 47):
Yeah... and while we're at it, let's tear down the Washington Monument - it's just a useless pile of rocks. A cell phone tower would be much more practical there.

And why hasn't someone bulldozed Moab Mational Monument and put in some housing development? We all need houses more than monuments! It's time to get those bulldozers moving... isn't it...???

Are you serious. Can you SERIOUISLY compare a NATIONAL LANDMARK to a passenger terminal? You make the argument seem even more silly. Yes, we do have better things to pour money into. Washington Mall which is all but crumbling being one. How about vital infrastructure?

AwysBSB

Fri May 10, 2013 6:17 pm

After many years of purposeful neglect-Delta says the orginal Worldport saucer must be torn down. Surprise. I think this attempt to destroy a piece of New York and aviation history should be prevented. While the addition to the Worldport certainly should be torn down-the saucer should remain. The comments from Delta employees and supporters shows the utter contempt they have for what is actually an important aviation landmark. Hopefully, wiser heads will prevail and the destruction will be prevented.

Neither airlines nor their workers and passengers that are focused in modifying terminals, since that is a mission of construction companies.
Given that the nature of that mission is to make money for construction companies, of course old buildings will be made scapegoats.
Hence, lets talk more about the interests of Lend Lease, Turner Construction, Peter Scalamandre & Sons, Scalamandre Construction, because they are the sole winners this entire story.

[Edited 2013-05-10 11:20:50]

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri May 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Quoting AwysBSB (Reply 59):
Neither airlines nor their workers and passengers that are focused in modifying terminals, since that is a mission of construction companies.

So, there will be no benefit to Delta, its employees or passengers that have to treck through T2/3 or avoid the airport on a whole because of it?

DeltaRules

Fri May 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 48):
There are two parts. One that looks like a green trailer that is, to my understanding ISN'T being bulldozed but the saucer is. That green trailer is the worst. It smells like a Wendy's all the time and they have all those temporary walkways to a parking lot full of RJs.

Then there is the other part with all the Rolex clock adverts, low ceilings, and has a "maze" type feel. I actually think that part is pretty cool because I feel like I'm flying Pan Am whenever I walk through those hallways.

Bottom line, as much as I like DL I just feel getting rid of the Saucer part is a major mistake -- especially since they saved T-5.

Don't know if you're asking for clarification or just making a statement, but the "Green Trailer", complete with its 1970s wallpaper, is Terminal 2. The "maze" is Terminal 3's expansion, which is reached from T2 via the "flying saucer".

Was the Gate 4 area of the expansion directly accessible from the flying saucer at one point? As you walk that direction, it looks as though you were able to turn left at one point, but now have to walk past literally every other gate first.

alfa164

Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 58):
Are you serious. Can you SERIOUISLY compare a NATIONAL LANDMARK to a passenger terminal? You make the argument seem even more silly. Yes, we do have better things to pour money into. Washington Mall which is all but crumbling being one. How about vital infrastructure?

Of course I can. Frank Lloyd Wrights "Falling Water" house; Chicago's Tribune Building; New York's Lever Building; even T5 at JFK, as mentiond often here; thay all are as much a landmark as most of the self-proclaimed "landmarks" that abound across this land.

The problem is short-sighted people don't see it that way; both Falling Water and the Lever have previously been threatened by demolition; it took serious efforts to save them. A decade later, most everyone recognized their importance. A decade from now, it appears we'll be looking back and regretting what is happening to T3.

After all, if we err on the side of preservation, it may have cost a few dollars, but if we err on the side of destruction, there is no recovery.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri May 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 62):
The problem is short-sighted people don't see it that way; both Falling Water and the Lever have previously been threatened by demolition; it took serious efforts to save them. A decade later, most everyone recognized their importance. A decade from now, it appears we'll be looking back and regretting what is happening to T3.

Wouldn't the first step be getting it on the landmark registry. You do realize that the place will be raised in a matter of months, not years right?

eaglepower83

Fri May 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 53):
- and it would be far cheaper to renovate it than to build an entitrely new building.

And how do you know???

I used to think it was unfortunate they were tearing down the T3 saucer.......until I landed there with friends one night.
It looked so impressive taxiing up to at night.
Then we got closer.....and you could see the crumbling concrete on the underside.
Then we got inside and it was dim, dingy and cramped, even at 11pm.
It was worse than T2 at Chicago OHare.
I saw the plastic tarps hanging everywhere, collecting leaks.
It was pretty bad.
Walking around there, and going down to collect luggage, I finally understood.
This thing has to go.
On top of looking dingy and a terribly small space for a large city, it even looked dangerous!

By the looks of it, it would cost a fortune to renovate and keep T3 in tact. In fact, It would probably be cheaper to raze it and build an exact replica.
But why do that when they're already expanding T4 (which looks sleek and brilliant on the inside, even if it's boring on the outside).

beeweel15

Fri May 10, 2013 7:08 pm

The bottom line is Delta has destroyed T4 at JFK airport. The terminal which was quite unique at JFK has lost all its ambiance. The places where friends and family could relax and shop before they left on their flights or while waiting on folks coming into JFK is now gone and is behind security. All these perks they talking about was there already except the new lounge. Yes people cant even go to the chapels anymore even that is behind security truly sad. You cant even do business at the airport anymore due to the fact again all the lounges are behind security. As for the distance you have to walk now I challenge the CEO of Delta to walk from T1 to T4 to simulate the walk passengers will have to do when they arrive here in NYC plus add a connecting flight into the mix he will not like it. Even T8 for AA has shorter walking distances for passengers than T4. Between Jetblue and Delta I will give Jetblue a "D-" when it comes to T5 and Delta will get an "F" for showing no sort of innovation in saving part, AGAIN, PART of T3. Who ever did the design should be sued for such a sloppy renovation design of a great building. Now can anyone tell us what they going to with that piece of garbage , T2 , which has no historical value and is a safety issue especially on the ramp due to the close proximity to T1

braniff

Fri May 10, 2013 7:16 pm

CBS 2 New York covered the "Save the Worldport" campaign just yesterday (May 9, 2013).

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...xt-for-kennedy-airports-worldport/

mayor

Fri May 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 65):

Yes, lets blame DL for all of this.......I'm guessing that the PANYNJ had absolutely nothing to do with this?  

luckyone

Fri May 10, 2013 7:35 pm

As for the distance you have to walk now I challenge the CEO of Delta to walk from T1 to T4 to simulate the walk passengers will have to do when they arrive here in NYC plus add a connecting flight into the mix he will not like it.

Why would you be walking between T1 and T4 to begin with? Second, why wouldn't you just take the AirTrain?
If you mean T2-T4 transfers, Delta is providing shuttle buses that go from the middle of T4's concourse.

T2 is going down within time as well.

727LOVER

Fri May 10, 2013 7:42 pm

The building has been denied official landmark status because renovations have altered it too much from its original design. As a result, %u201CWorldport%u201D lacks the protections afforded to TWA%u2019s %u201CFlight Center,%u201D which remains empty, but preserved.

Like what?

The good ol' days
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POSTCARD-PAN...&hash=item1c30e5d646#ht_508wt_1161

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri May 10, 2013 8:42 pm

For the record, T2 is in much better shape that T3. Anyone that travels enough on DL through JFK knows this.

rwy04lga

Fri May 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 62):
Frank Lloyd Wrights "Fallingwater" house

Magnificent structure. If you've not been there, do yourself a favor. I doubt the Kaufmann's ever considered tearing it down. Certainly not the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy.

beeweel15

Fri May 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 68):
If you mean T2-T4 transfers, Delta is providing shuttle buses that go from the middle of T4's concourse.

They are building a walk way between T4 and T2 which will be behind securtiy.

klkla

Fri May 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 72):

I thought they pulled that idea a long time ago and replaced it with shuttle buses?

alfa164

Fri May 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 61):
Was the Gate 4 area of the expansion directly accessible from the flying saucer at one point? As you walk that direction, it looks as though you were able to turn left at one point, but now have to walk past literally every other gate first.

Prior to TSA's expansi

Maybe I am wrong here, but I thought the walkways had been cancelled, and the busses were now the plan.

rwy04lga

Sat May 11, 2013 12:33 am

Quoting klkla (Reply 73):

I thought they pulled that idea a long time ago and replaced it with shuttle buses?
Quoting alfa164 (Reply 74):

Maybe I am wrong here, but I thought the walkways had been cancelled, and the busses were now the plan.

The new plan scrapped the walkway idea and has replaced it with shuttle busses between T4 and T2, post security.

AwysBSB

Sat May 11, 2013 3:31 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 60):
So, there will be no benefit to Delta, its employees or passengers that have to treck through T2/3 or avoid the airport on a whole because of it?

The demolition of T3 frustrates those ones that would be properly using it after its restoration, when it would be playing the premium role again.

Quoting EaglePower83 (Reply 64):
By the looks of it, it would cost a fortune to renovate and keep T3 in tact. In fact, It would probably be cheaper to raze it and build an exact replica.

It would cost a fortune if PANYNJ keeps unchanged the contract with construction firms instead of hiring a restoration company specialized in reinforced concrete.
The bad news is that the construction firms are more powerful and they are driving most of PANYNJ's and airlines' decisions.

mayor

Sat May 11, 2013 5:31 am

Quoting klkla (Reply 73):
Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 72):They are building a walk way between T4 and T2 which will be behind securtiy.

You're right.....it's been several months that the "walkway" plan has been scrapped. "Someone" is not up to date.

tommy767

Sat May 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 69):
The building has been denied official landmark status because renovations have altered it too much from its original design. As a result, %u201CWorldport%u201D lacks the protections afforded to TWA%u2019s %u201CFlight Center,%u201D which remains empty, but preserved.

Like what?

I smell some port authority slash mafia slash union corruption on this one. How has it changed from it's original design?

braniff

Sat May 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 78):
I smell some port authority slash mafia slash union corruption on this one. How has it changed from it's original design?

Both the Landmarks Commission and the State Historic Preservation Office have stated that the building has been "modified" too much and has lost too much of its original integrity. For example, the interior space has been "hacked up" too much with the addition of that front check-in/Starbucks thing, the exterior is cluttered with the T2 connector and all the stuff from the 1970 expansion, the missing Zodiac sculptures, etc.

Personally I think these are pretty lame excuses because all that stuff can be removed, and the Zodiac sculptures are in storage and can be put back. Most of the original structure is still there, at least the parts that make up the essence of the place, like the roof and pillars...hell even those huge bowl-shaped hanging lamps inside are still there and working. All the stairways are still there, most of the catwalks (even though they're badly corroded) and the old Clipper Club lounge are still there too. Buildings in worse shape have been declared landmarks and been put on the National Register, so maybe you're right, there is some internal "politics" going on that we don't know about.

tommy767

Sat May 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Quoting braniff (Reply 79):
and the old Clipper Club lounge are still there too. Buildings in worse shape have been declared landmarks and been put on the National Register, so maybe you're right, there is some internal "politics" going on that we don't know about.

There always is internal corruption with the P.A. That is why nothing ever gets done.

braniff

Sat May 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 50):
T-5 is a protected landmark, T-3 isn't. THAT'S why T-5 was saved....there was no other reason.

Landmark and National Register status don't really protect a building from being demolished. The property owner can still make a good argument with the LPC as to why it should be taken down (such as space constraints - a valid reason at a place like JFK) and ultimately win. Hell they can even pull a Mayor Daley and bulldoze it in the middle of the night and just pay the fines and penalties if they think it's worth the hassle.

Yes, there was preservationist outcry just like there is with the Worldport. But the reason T5 was saved was 1) because it was unoccupied and in the hands of the Port Authority, 2) there were a handful of people within the Port Authority who actually cared about saving it, 3) it is a Saarinen design and has a lot more "clout" and 4) Jetblue stepped up and said they were interested in using it.

The Worldport unfortunately, is still leased by Delta and they want to keep the lease-hold on the land after they move to T4.

[Edited 2013-05-11 10:09:13]

jfklganyc

Sat May 11, 2013 5:43 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 54):

Well, since the P.A. runs the airports, they can save the saucer by taking it out of the grossly overfunded pensions

Best line and true. PA is broke. They depend on private equity to rebuild airports. Private enterprise doesnt want T3

Yes people cant even go to the chapels anymore even that is behind security truly sad.

You can go to the chapels. They are before security.

T4 was designed pre 9/11. It has been redesigned post 9/11.

Post 9/11 everything goes behind security.

No one dilly dallies in front of security anymore.

As for loved ones picking up/dropping off...the airport is a place for passengers. That is why there are cell phone waiting lots.

Sad but true, this is the world today

braniff

Sat May 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 82):
Best line and true. PA is broke. They depend on private equity to rebuild airports. Private enterprise doesnt want T3

They are broke. However, private equity doesn't drive major projects. Delta's T4 expansion was funded mostly ($825M) by municipal bonds issued by the Port Authority, with Delta and JFK-IAT kicking in some of their own money as capital expenditures.

Someone else in the private sector may indeed want T3 - as obsolete as it might be for a major, with a little work it can still be functional, plus it has the benefit of being FIS-capable. A consortium like JFK-IAT could take it over and offer LCCs or international carriers unhappy with their current lease costs cheaper alternatives for space there, but Delta's lease is a huge obstacle. You'd need someone the likes of Richard Branson or Donald Trump to wrestle the lease from Delta - which we hope might (but is unlikely to) happen.

[Edited 2013-05-11 11:30:53]

jetlanta

Sun May 12, 2013 3:39 am

Quoting braniff (Reply 83):
Someone else in the private sector may indeed want T3 - as obsolete as it might be for a major, with a little work it can still be functional, plus it has the benefit of being FIS-capable. A consortium like JFK-IAT could take it over and offer LCCs or international carriers unhappy with their current lease costs cheaper alternatives for space there, but Delta's lease is a huge obstacle. You'd need someone the likes of Richard Branson or Donald Trump to wrestle the lease from Delta - which we hope might (but is unlikely to) happen.

Dream on.

Delta's deal with PANYNJ and JFK-IAT requires T3 to be demolished. PANYNJ wants it down. It is not going to be saved and it certainly isn't going to be saved by anyone who has a profit motive. If that was possible, Delta would have done it.

deltal1011man

Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 am

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 84):

big part of this thing is the handstand land at T3.

With T4B extended T4 loses some hard stands, plus Delta wants more hardstands for aircraft staging.

T3 is gone. time to grow up and move along.

AwysBSB

Sun May 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 85):
big part of this thing is the handstand land at T3.

I wonder why PANYNJ does not make Green Parking a scapegoat, instead of the historic building of T3.
Given that JFK's terminal system has one of the largest landside area, it is time for part of it becomes airside and enable an expansion like this [poorly edited] image suggests:

VC10er

Sun May 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Too many great NY pieces of archetectural masterpieces have been lost - it has been getting far better - but once gone, it's gone forever. Only pictures of the Singer Building and the like is what we have. We lost the Palladum for the same lame reasons from the landmarks commission. The World Port should have been saved like the High Line. The fact PanAm was bad at the end and the World Port leaky is such a numb excuse.

I was born and raised in NYC and NONE of the big 3 have contributed back to the things lost.

Polot

Sun May 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Quoting AwysBSB (Reply 86):

1)The PANYNJ, Delta, nor Skyteam own T1. You can't just tear that down without appeasing LH and JL.

2) Assuming by "Green Parking lot" you mean T2, T2 is in far better shape than T3, and while ugly and crowded still better suited for today's travels needs

3) You can't have an effective "First Class terminal" if you have a concourse jutting off the back of it- economy and business class passengers need to get to the plane too, so now you have to cut out space in T3 so they have access. The T3 saucer is too small to effectively do that (unless you want to ruin its "Golden Age" interior design). DL also doesn't have a first class. Whats the point of creating a first class terminal for what, 10 skyteam flights a day with first class?

Quoting VC10er (Reply 87):
The World Port should have been saved like the High Line. The fact PanAm was bad at the end and the World Port leaky is such a numb excuse.

The High Line was saved because someone found an excellent, and functional, way to utilize it so that everyone can enjoy it. Nobody has done that with T5. Nobody has come up with a viable option for T3.

[Edited 2013-05-12 14:43:32]

[Edited 2013-05-12 14:46:19]

alfa164

Sun May 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 88):
The High Line was saved because someone found an excellent, and functional, way to utilize it so that everyone can enjoy it. Nobody has done that with T5. Nobody has come up with a viable option for T3.

Maybe you haven't come up with a "viable option" for T3, but - having been in the business of urban and infrastructure design and development for a quarter of a century - I have seen at least two viable suggestions.

Using T3 exclusively for DL's transcontinental flights is the first; it would accentuate the importance of those flights (someting DL is trying hard to do); give them an "exclusive" feel; and provide a dedicated area for those passengers.

Using T3 exclusively for JFK-LHR operations would do the same for those cherished customers. This is another route where DL is trying to build its prestige and image, and basing it in restored, unique, and elecant T3 (alongside VS flights - are you listening, Sir Richard?) would be step that the competition can't duplicate.

All of this would and should be contingent on getting rid of the ugly and crowded add-on to PA's original terminal, and eliminating the equally ugly sexond-floor concourse additions (the overhead Burger King, et al., thus opening up the space both visually and in reality. I only wish this had been proposed before VS new Clubroom was completed in T4, because it seems like the type of project RB would embace - and encourage DL to join. Regardless, it still isn't too late, if someone will have the imagination and determination to make the effort.

Polot

Sun May 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 89):
Using T3 exclusively for DL's transcontinental flights is the first; it would accentuate the importance of those flights (someting DL is trying hard to do); give them an "exclusive" feel; and provide a dedicated area for those passengers.

But it is the on board product that people on the route care about, not the really the airport terminals. It also screws people who want to connect with those flights, and makes ground operations needlessly more complicated.

Using T3 exclusively for JFK-LHR operations would do the same for those cherished customers. This is another route where DL is trying to build its prestige and image, and basing it in restored, unique, and elecant T3 (alongside VS flights - are you listening, Sir Richard?) would be step that the competition can't duplicate.

Well you can take that option off the table. There are only 6-7 daily JFK-LHR flights between VS and DL- all of them departing after 5:00p (and most after 7:00p). Certainly makes no sense to renovate and operate T3 when it will be empty most of the day.

All of this would and should be contingent on getting rid of the ugly and crowded add-on to PA's original terminal, and eliminating the equally ugly sexond-floor concourse additions (the overhead Burger King, et al., thus opening up the space both visually and in reality. I only wish this had been proposed before VS new Clubroom was completed in T4, because it seems like the type of project RB would embace - and encourage DL to join. Regardless, it still isn't too late, if someone will have the imagination and determination to make the effort.

The problem is people want those ugly add-ons such as the Burger King, especially if you are making it a dedicated terminal. Those "exclusive" transcon passengers are not really going to care about that open space when they have little options for food.

I only wish this had been proposed before VS new Clubroom was completed in T4, because it seems like the type of project RB would embace - and encourage DL to join. Regardless, it still isn't too late, if someone will have the imagination and determination to make the effort.

Building a new Clubroom does not cost 100s of millions of dollars. Tearing down half of T3 while basically gutting and rebuilding the other half does. SRB embraces making money above all...the image of him being "hip", "savvy", and "cool" is just that, an image. He won't do something if he knows it won't make him any money.

[Edited 2013-05-12 16:36:00]

aviateur

Mon May 13, 2013 12:58 am

Nobody is more of an airport romantic than I am. Yet I cannot wait for the day that T3 is torn down. I'm sorry, but this building simply doesn't belong in the same class with, for example, Saarinen's TWA building.

IM Pei's National Airlines terminal (the old T5) was a more significant structure, yet its destruction a year or so ago got almost no mention anywhere.

Patrick Smith

AwysBSB

Mon May 13, 2013 1:25 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 88):

I emphasize that the image I shared is as poorly edited as its proposal is not developed yet.
Of course it would be an absurd Green parking lot, T1 and T2 be made scapegoats for expansion of airside, if they are in good shape. Thus, the proposal in that image is for a future expansion.
For the present, the T3 saucer becoming the Sky Team First Class Terminal is the best choice, since it could be also used by any Sky Miles passenger with Diamond Medallion status.
DL and Sky Team do need to offer that not just keep but to help increase their number of Diamond Medallion members.

ghifty

Mon May 13, 2013 1:55 am

Quoting aviateur (Reply 91):
Nobody is more of an airport romantic than I am. Yet I cannot wait for the day that T3 is torn down. I'm sorry, but this building simply doesn't belong in the same class with, for example, Saarinen's TWA building.

I was one of those "Save the Pan Am Worldport" folks. And then I had a layover there. I remember walking into T3 and not realising it was T3. The Pan Am Worldport was bright and airy. Delta T3 is dark, cluttered, leaking, and decayed. The damn roof looks like it's going to collapse.

Furthermore, the Worldport has no architectural significance. In fact, the only relatively significant thing about it is the fact that Pan Am used to own it. But even with that... what saved the Saarinen Terminal isn't that "TWA used to own it," instead it's that it's the *Saarinen* Terminal.

questions

Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 am

Eventually T2 will go. Why wasn't the plan:
- expand T4B and move DL partially in
- demolish T2
- expand T1 and move non SkyTeam airlines from T4 to T1
- expand T4B for regional aircraft capability
- move the rest of DL into T4
- demolish T3
- expand T4A if needed

Polot

Mon May 13, 2013 2:27 am

Quoting questions (Reply 94):

Because T2 is in much better shape than T3. Also your plan requires the cooperation of not just DL, PANYNJ and the Schipol group, as the current one does, but also the T1 group...which complicates things. Why would LH and JL (members of the T1 group along with KE and AF) want to help out DL/Skyteam?

luckyone

Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 93):
The damn roof looks like it's going to collapse.

The very thing that makes people want to save it IS the reason the building needs to go. The roof. It is a beautiful, albeit impractical design that from what I've read and heard wasn't designed to age very well. And it hasn't. There's a reason you don't see it copied anywhere else. It's the product of an era where flash and style meant everything--we can argue whether that was romance or superficiality in another place--and we all know that ship has sailed. The world changes, get used to it or be miserable.

And let's be real, intercontinental flights? The original, flying saucer roof portion was designed in an era when the biggest thing around was a 707, when flights were multiple leg, less-than-daily frequencies. Delta's smallest intercontinental aircraft, the 757, seats more than Pan Am's 707s did, and just about all of its routes are DAILY. There is not room in the terminal for security + amenities + waiting areas for the amount of people that will be placed on to these aircraft and the amount of people that will come with the amount of flights.

Could someone please explain their thought process RE: architectural treasure? One can barely see T3 from the road as it is. It is surrounded by roadways and signs--it typifies everything that is ugly about New York City. If you're driving into JFK you're not going to be looking up at it. If you're on the AirTrain you'll see it for about 30 seconds before it's obstructed by the AirTrain infrastructure. If you're not flying Delta you won't be passing through it, and otherwise you aren't allowed in it, and that is an arrangement that given space constraints would probably remain. It is not a painting that can be moved to another wall, or a sculpture that can be disassembled and put somewhere else. This is a massive building in a very busy place, that actually serves a purpose. It has been ill-suited to the needs of air travel since about ten years after it was built. If it cannot serve it's purpose then it needs to come down. We already have a terminal museum at JFK, and it's vacant, sucking up precious resources like space, electricity, and cash.

ghifty

Mon May 13, 2013 3:21 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 96):
It is a beautiful, albeit impractical design that from what I've read and heard wasn't designed to age very well.

Well I can't imagine it being practical.. the roof overhangs the actual building by, what, 100 feet? How is someone supposed to go under and clean/replace the concrete or tiles? With some large scaffolding.. requiring the area below to be closed from use. And then you need specialists to deal with the structure since that's so uncommon, etc. It's just a problem--and having seen it in person, I can't understand why it's still standing.

One can barely see T3 from the road as it is. It is surrounded by roadways and signs--it typifies everything that is ugly about New York City.

It's been ruined by the times. Unlike the Saarinen Terminal which remained untouched, JFK T3 has had it's Zodiac sculpture removed.. and Delta's 1980's typeface sits cheesily on top of the supports. The airtrain covers it. Concrete jetbridges jut out of it's sides.. it just looks like a mess.

mayor

Mon May 13, 2013 3:48 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 97):
The airtrain covers it. Concrete jetbridges jut out of it's sides.. it just looks like a mess.

And a hundred years from now, people would look at it and wonder WHY it was ever saved.

jfklganyc

Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 97):
It's been ruined by the times. Unlike the Saarinen Terminal which remained untouched, JFK T3 has had it's Zodiac sculpture removed.. and Delta's 1980's typeface sits cheesily on top of the supports. The airtrain covers it. Concrete jetbridges jut out of it's sides.. it just looks like a mess.

"A point made in the defense of the demolition of the old Penn Station at the time was that the cost of maintaining the old structure had become prohibitive. The question of whether it made sense to preserve a building, intended to be a cost-effective and functional piece of the city's infrastructure, simply as a monument to the past was raised in defense of the plans to demolish it. As a New York Times editorial critical of the demolition noted at the time, a "city gets what it wants, is willing to pay for, and ultimately deserves."" wikipedia.com

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

And let's be real, intercontinental flights? The original, flying saucer roof portion was designed in an era when the biggest thing around was a 707, when flights were multiple leg, less-than-daily frequencies. Delta's smallest intercontinental aircraft, the 757, seats more than Pan Am's 707s did, and just about all of its routes are DAILY. There is not room in the terminal for security + amenities + waiting areas for the amount of people that will be placed on to these aircraft and the amount of people that will come with the amount of flights.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos